Personal Impressions

Arthur97

1 hour ago, wissenschaft said:

I'm not sure why people say this. I'm not having any trouble using any of the characters. The key to killing enemies fast is getting the weak points gauge to appear (thats the yellow bar around an enemy) and blowing through that to get a critical attack. As axe users, Camilla, Lissa, and Fredeick should destroy lance users because WTA makes that weak point gauge appear far easier.

It doesn't matter how powerful your weapon is or what level your character is at, if you can't make the weak point gauge appear then commanders will take forever to kill.

I do go for the weak point gauge, even with that critical it doesn't do that much damage, even normal attacks (by that I just mean non-special moves in general) do little damage even when comboed. I guess maybe it's growths since rng is random for growths if I recall reading right.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

I do go for the weak point gauge, even with that critical it doesn't do that much damage, even normal attacks (by that I just mean non-special moves in general) do little damage even when comboed. I guess maybe it's growths since rng is random for growths if I recall reading right.

Nah, the growths are set. You can start a new save file and all the level ups will be the same. Some enemy commanders are tougher than others. Those are the ones you save awakening for. Either that or multiple opponents and your under a time limit

Edited by wissenschaft

Just now, wissenschaft said:

Nah, the growths are set. You can start a new save file and all the level ups will be the same.

Then I have no idea why my axe users are lacking, I can try it again waiter and use your advice of waiting more for the weak point gauge just before it wasn't doing any considerable damage at all

1 minute ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Then I have no idea why my axe users are lacking, I can try it again waiter and use your advice of waiting more for the weak point gauge just before it wasn't doing any considerable damage at all

Promotion makes a big difference. Its a huge boost in damage and durability. I promoted Camilla and shes often my MVP. Between her mobility and my favoritism in playing her, shes does a lot on every map.

Don't get me wrong, I'm playing on hard so it takes like 2 or 3 weak point strikes to kill units. But I feel I'm killing them fast enough. Again, promotion helps a lot.

Edited by wissenschaft

So, I'm just past the split, and. . .

Spoiler

The Big Brothers plus Corrin are kicking my ass.  Need to figure out how to dodge them while all hell is breaking loose.

22 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Hide contents

The Big Brothers plus Corrin are kicking my ass.  Need to figure out how to dodge them while all hell is breaking loose.

Spoiler

Just keep pressing on to the west and north. You need to take keeps to open gates. Eventually you reach an enemy that you must drop to half HP for those guys to stop attacking you. From there you can do the whole map in peace. I also recommend pairing up units so that you have fewer to manage and worry about getting cut down. Tell them to go wherever you go so that they don't stop to engage Xander and co.

Edited by Glennstavos

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:
  Hide contents

Just keep pressing on to the west and north. You need to take keeps to open gates. Eventually you reach an enemy that you must drop to half HP for those guys to stop attacking you. From there you can do the whole map in peace. I also recommend pairing up units so that you have fewer to manage and worry about getting cut down. Tell them to go wherever you go so that they don't stop to engage Xander and co.

Issue is. . .

Spoiler

I can't get rid of the guy in the west fort before everyone catches up to me.  You'd think that Frederick would have the oomph, but he's seriously lacking.

If this is how Musou games go, I think I'm going to struggle with future titles.  Gonna take a short breather, then reattempt the map.  I'll figure this out, eventually.

(and I take back what I said about this genre being mindless)

Edited by eclipse

13 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Issue is. . .

Hide contents

I can't get rid of the guy in the west fort before everyone catches up to me.  You'd think that Frederick would have the oomph, but he's seriously lacking.

If this is how Musou games go, I think I'm going to struggle with future titles.  Gonna take a short breather, then reattempt the map.  I'll figure this out, eventually.

(and I take back what I said about this genre being mindless)

forgive me for not being to good at knowing how to use Spoiler, but.

what I did was tell all my allies to guard my main character. the allies you dont give a command to have a tendancy to be dumb and attack the enemies they clearly dont have a chance winning from. It also helps allies you dont control take less damage then what your character takes when you take a hit. so they work as actual shields as you try to clear the areas as fast as you can.

Hope my tip helps you with that tense section.

Edited by Thany

Just finished the story mode... it was alright. the final boss had spectacle, but man was it a slog to get through. Also this is just a personal thing, but even with being larger the final boss couldn't hold a candle to Ganon in Hyrule Warriors. Then again I'm a weirdo that liked the boss fights in those games. I'm still struggling with the spear movesets, mostly because each pegaus is absurdly fast and jerks around like crazy, causing all sorts of camera screws and making me kind of nauseous. Also even though I used Fredrick for nearly every level and stuck with him almost exclusively until the last half, I ended up getting Lianna as my MVP for every mission I had to field her in... kind of annoying, even if I did end up liking their fighting style.

I have yet to touch any of the mixtures/blessings, mostly because of the fact that loot drops are now significantly more valuable due to only captains coughing up the goods. I don't know if I'd call it a good change, but it does fit the game's focus on emphasizing units over fodder (something that was my oriignal reluctance for making this particular crossover in the first palce), so kudos for that. Oh and what the hell is up with the crests NOT retaining its place when swapping characters or even SHOWING the crests they have/can make a la Hyrule Warriors; it's a pain in the ass having to constantly scan down to see if I can make the damn thing or not...

Much as I've enjoyed the game and the bit of History Mode I delved into, it's not really gripping me as much as Adventure Mode was. Sure maybe a part of that has to do with me being a massive Zelda fan and trying every character enough so as to not get roadblocked, but these missions just don't seem as interesting to me.

All in all, I'd say I've enjoyed it thus far, but I'm not really keen on the DLC just yet. maybe the Fates stuff just for getting spear foot-fighters, but that's about it.

13 minutes ago, DIO said:

Oh and what the hell is up with the crests NOT retaining its place when swapping characters or even SHOWING the crests they have/can make a la Hyrule Warriors; it's a pain in the ass having to constantly scan down to see if I can make the damn thing or not...

In the crest market it shows you what crests you can make by highlighting them. I don't quite understand the other issue you have.

1 minute ago, ChickenBits said:

In the crest market it shows you what crests you can make by highlighting them. I don't quite understand the other issue you have.

I think his issue is that he has to constantly scroll down when switching between characters in the crest screen, when in hyrule warriors you could just leave it in one spot and see much easier.

51 minutes ago, Thany said:

forgive me for not being to good at knowing how to use Spoiler, but.

what I did was tell all my allies to guard my main character. the allies you dont give a command to have a tendancy to be dumb and attack the enemies they clearly dont have a chance winning from. It also helps allies you dont control take less damage then what your character takes when you take a hit. so they work as actual shields as you try to clear the areas as fast as you can.

Hope my tip helps you with that tense section.

That's what I did!  It helped, until I ran into someone I couldn't defeat in a timely manner.

3 minutes ago, eclipse said:

That's what I did!  It helped, until I ran into someone I couldn't defeat in a timely manner.

I have full faith you will get it soon, while i cleared it first try, i had experiance with warriors games. Do take a break if need be,

20 minutes ago, Thany said:

I think his issue is that he has to constantly scroll down when switching between characters in the crest screen, when in hyrule warriors you could just leave it in one spot and see much easier.

More than that, it had a preview screen that showed the entire page's worth of badges that telegraphed the exact same info as the main page minus the materials needed. So you already knew you could make badges and after figuring out the progression line what badges they were, meaning the only question left was if the material use was worthwhile or to use it for a different character instead. Both that and retaining the spot from character-to-character made it far easier to just pop in and scan each page at a fast pace before jumping back into another mission.

11 hours ago, eclipse said:

Hide contents

Let your AI allies distract them while you rush toward the forts to capture them. Once the boss reveals himself for the firs time, rush to him and beat him to free Corrin and friends. I used Camilla to just fly to the forts and handle them myself. The rest of my allies were just used to distract.

Edited by wissenschaft

On 10/23/2017 at 1:48 AM, wissenschaft said:

Let your AI allies distract them while you rush toward the forts to capture them. Once the boss reveals himself for the firs time, rush to him and beat him to free Corrin and friends. I used Camilla to just fly to the forts and handle them myself. The rest of my allies were just used to distract.

Managed to get past it, barely.  This was when Camilla was dead. I've since rectified it.

Finally got around to History Mode.  I'm having a lot more fun in there than in the regular game!  It's really convenient for grinding out sealed skills.

Here's some of my thought on the game. (This my first time writing something like this so forgive me if I did something wrong)

• Graphic wise, it's really good. Though it might not look as... clean? smooth? HD? as the character models in HW but it's still good in my opinion. However, the lighting in certain maps might make it look weird. A very obvious example I notice is Leo's victory screen in certain maps. The shadowing from the lighting makes his face looks unfinished... A side note is that the bronze swords look  so jarring lol
  • Music wise, it's amazing. I only wish they had some ost as it's own thing instead of a medley like how ID purpose is only part of the awakening medley and not it's own ost. 
  • I'm mostly fine with voice acting. I don't usually complain about the voice acting and I usually find it funny when they sound "bad". An another note is that English voice lines seems to be softer than Japanese ones but I'm not too sure.
  • Gameplay is better than HW in my opinion. In HW, you are limited to only 1 character per mission (except 3ds version i think but i never played that one) but in FEW, you get to play up to 4 characters in one mission (1 or 2 in some history modes) so there's a lot of variation in it. Other than that, the strategy element in FE is really great in a warriors game. I don't think this was present in HW where you can command where they go and everything but this is really helpful in FEW. I didn't use this a lot when I play the story mode first in the Japanese version but after learning how great it is, I managed to beat final boss hard faster than I first did it. Pair-up system might be a little OP? At least for dual guard, since you can really get a perfect run easier with it. One thing that really annoyed me recently is whenever your allies are low on HP, the game keeps spamming "xxx is in trouble!". As if everyone of them is Genji spamming "I need healing"... 
  • Story is alright. Nothing spectacular but it's alright. 
  • Difficulty is perfect. You get missions that you can just plow through them or you get those that takes a longer time to beat or at least S rank.
  • I know I'm probably beating the dead horse and I'm not really too bothered by it but it did happen a few times is that all lancers are fliers. It's like they know all your lance units are also fliers so they decide to beat archers within sword enemies in some missions.
  • My favorite part is this game is definitely development between characters. The support are really well-written and hilarious, especially cross-game conversations. It's something people kinda hoped for in the support update in FEH but we didn't get but FEW managed to do it and did it well.

All in all, I really like this game. Even though the character roster is something that made a lot of people lose interest in the game but past that I think there's a lot of great feature that players can enjoy.

I actually think it looks better than Hyrule Warriors, but I haven't played that. And I thought this game was too easy until I got into the later parts of History Mode.

I've finished most of History mode with some level 60 battles hanging; didn't get the second Anna's Mementos in Story Mode and haven't unlocked level 80 battles yet. My impression thus far:

• Favorite part: References to other games in History Mode's extra battles. There are conversations based on famous scenes from, among the ones where I understood the references, FE4 (Lissa playing the "golden axe, silver axe" scene), FE6 (Elise and Iago playing Clarine and Nacien), FE8 (Robin and Camilla with Innes and Tethys' "I've got good news, and I've got better news" scene in Eirika'sr oute), FE9/10 (Hinoka and Robin quoting Ike and Soren), FE12 (Marth commenting on Corrin's lack of resistence, a reference to Kris getting comments on his stats from other characters). I think a lot of this humor will be lost to fans who aren't familiar to Fire Emblem, which is too bad.
  • I like History Mode so much that I want to see more History Mode maps. Because of that, I'm definitely going for the DLC.
  • My least favorite part is the occasional tendency for the game to crash.

There are other things I like and dislike, but none of them really stands out. I guess I'm not picky when it comes to Fire Emblem games.

First off I got this game (3DS version) as a gift. It was never intended to get it as I'm not really into dynasty warriors and the roster wasn't that impressive to me.

So here we are now with 40+ h into the game. To be short: I have a love-hate relation with this game.

While there are many gameplay elements that really made me enjoy this game (skill tree, forging, history mode, WTA inclusion, etc), I have to admit that I found myself many times in rage especially when it came to combat.

1. Camera

The camera perspective is really problematic. In many mini-boss fights I got lost because the camera would go crazy and get me anywhere (honorable mentions: fliers and speedy characters).

2. Commands/Orders

This mechanic alone is a very good and essential feature. The bad news is that given orders occasionally will be ignored or done partly. Very often you will see your allies do literally nothing or maybe fight when they feel to do so. This habbit caused many game overs (especially when it comes to defend your own fort).

3. Enemy Stuns

So when you get into multiple encounters with mini-bosses this happens very often. If they initiate attacks and you're not blocking them, you're pretty much disabled. The only thing you can do is watch your hero fly around the map and take damage (horse users tend to lie around and recovery is way to long imo). As I understand there is a skill (armored blow) that prevents such a thing. Sadly its not available until postgame which doesn't help at all. 

Is this a 3DS-thing only or am I playing it with wrong settings? Advice is appreciated !

Overall a decent game that got me by surprise

Edited by fOrEiGn sOUl

9 hours ago, fOrEiGn sOUl said:

3. Enemy Stuns

So when you get into multiple encounters with mini-bosses this happens very often. If they initiate attacks and you're not blocking them, you're pretty much disabled. The only thing you can do is watch your hero fly around the map and take damage (horse users tend to lie around and recovery is way to long imo). As I understand there is a skill (armored blow) that prevents such a thing. Sadly its not available until postgame which doesn't help at all. 

Spoiler

don't know if its the same on 3ds, but on switch armored blow is tiki's skill and after she gets it, you just need someone to get an a rank support with tiki and you can craft the skill.

through supports alone tiki needs two c ranks and an a rank and you can put armored blow on anyone else.

As a Warriors game, its the most fun I've had in a long time, with the only thing possibly matching it was Gundam Warriors: Reborn. The class variances really allows for it to stick out among Warriors games, along with the ability to give orders.

As an FE game, honestly, its the best thing to ever happen from a pure game play perspective in terms of style. Granted, this is largely due to preference of real-time action as opposed to turn-based strategy, but its worth noting. If FE was like this from the start, it'd easily be my favorites series ( well, second to KH of course, but details...), My absolute favorite chapter is 12: where Ryoma & Xander are facing off and you have to stop them. No battle has ever given me such a sense of urgency like this one has.

As far as movesets go, my least used are the axes + Corrin. Not so much that I dislike the former, but rather it was a matter of priorities, and they just fell short as a result,; Camilla less so, due to her mobility. Corrin, while they're visually fine, in terms of effect, their attack range leaves some to be desired, in that they do better as a duelist than going against crowds. Woreso, when he's surrounded.

Top, however, belongs to a tie between Ryoma and Marth, with Chrom not far behind. Marth has style, Chrom has power, while Ryoma has both power AND speed, making him much more efficient than anyone else. Dude can practically take on anyone without much trouble (well, minus shadows, but who doesn't, given both their power and numbers? I've an answer for that though)

On 10/22/2017 at 2:57 PM, Thane said:

Just played through a Shadow Elimination map in History Mode and I made the mistake of only bringing physical...against Xander. This is what I get for relying too much on two axe wielders.

Tiki is the only answer to Shadows. Seriously. Actually, she's quite literally the secret weapon when the going gets tough in history mode: let her go "all dragon" on em and problem solved

On 10/29/2017 at 7:46 AM, fOrEiGn sOUl said:

First off I got this game (3DS version) as a gift. It was never intended to get it as I'm not really into dynasty warriors and the roster wasn't that impressive to me.

So here we are now with 40+ h into the game. To be short: I have a love-hate relation with this game.

While there are many gameplay elements that really made me enjoy this game (skill tree, forging, history mode, WTA inclusion, etc), I have to admit that I found myself many times in rage especially when it came to combat.

1. Camera

The camera perspective is really problematic. In many mini-boss fights I got lost because the camera would go crazy and get me anywhere (honorable mentions: fliers and speedy characters).

2. Commands/Orders

This mechanic alone is a very good and essential feature. The bad news is that given orders occasionally will be ignored or done partly. Very often you will see your allies do literally nothing or maybe fight when they feel to do so. This habbit caused many game overs (especially when it comes to defend your own fort).

3. Enemy Stuns

Is this a 3DS-thing only or am I playing it with wrong settings? Advice is appreciated !

Overall a decent game that got me by surprise

In order:

1. Yes, the camera does weird things.  Tapping L helps.  L + R resets it, IIRC.  If you're really having issues, try messing with the camera axes in Options.  I play double inverted, because it feels more natural to me.

2. The secret to making this work is to order a character to that location, then SWITCH to that character once they arrive.  Kick out the nuisance, then go back to whatever you were doing.

3. Armored Blow (and others of their ilk) are available after the character it's on reaches an A support with someone.  Keep hitting A supports, and you'll get the materials necessary to craft it on anyone.  Doesn't need to be postgame.

I actually haven't had that issue where orders aren't followed by characters. Unless they're at a disadvantage, my warriors always do their missions. The only time they stop doing stuff is when I'm in the same area as them, which for some reason makes the AI stand around doing nothing.

Granted, this is on the Switch version. Maybe the AI is different on 3DS?