What would the Fire Emblem be in this game?

The only thing I want the Fire Emblem to be in this game is plot-relevant, honestly. Otherwise I don't care what it is, although it will probably be some kind of crest or medallion again just because that's what it most commonly is.

I'm going to agree with Azure Sen and say I'd like it to be relevant again. The game doesn't need to revolve around it, necessarily, but it's nice if it plays a part. 

The idea of the Fire Emblem being a person is a cool idea, though if I were to guess, that'd open up the way to either too much angst or someone like Azura. I don't know, while I've got absolutely no ground to stand on, I just get the feeling that the Fire Emblem would be required to sacrifice themself in order to seal/quell/appease some dragon or something. 

I immediately object to the idea of a Fire Emblem being a person. I've played enough fire emblem games to know how that story goes. Mysterious, antisocial yet beautiful girl exists, eventually befriends avatar character by chapter 3, displays super mysterious powers in front of bad guys in chapter 5, bad guys kidnap her in chapter 6, game from there is all about getting her back even though the protagonists have no idea the true stakes of her being taken beyond a cyptic legend about this girl. Protagonists get her back in Chapter 15, but not before the bad guys successfully use her power to awaken the means to take over the world, Girl is now a permanent playable character that helps you undue this mess.

With all the things Fates did wrong, I love the idea of the Fire Emblem being the protagonist's weapon. I feel like they've been wanting to do that in several past games before somebody on the writing team shot the idea down. Every other time we see the Fire Emblem it's either a macguffin hunt, or inconsequential like in Shadow Dragon. Tellius also did a cool subversion with its Fire Emblem, since the thing it was sealing was a widely mistaken force that ends up being the key to saving the world. It wasn't written well, but it's a nice idea in concept.

Edited by Glennstavos

my idea would be that the fire emblem is a brand for a certain nationality of people signifying them being descendants of a fire god. but the country, which was home to such people, was destroyed by a another god's fanatics and only a few carrying the fire emblem remain after that event. those with the fire emblem are able to use fire magic (it would be exclusive to fire emblem wielders and will be replaced by earth for mages). think pyromancy

2 hours ago, Thane said:

I'm going to agree with Azure Sen and say I'd like it to be relevant again. The game doesn't need to revolve around it, necessarily, but it's nice if it plays a part. 

The idea of the Fire Emblem being a person is a cool idea, though if I were to guess, that'd open up the way to either too much angst or someone like Azura. I don't know, while I've got absolutely no ground to stand on, I just get the feeling that the Fire Emblem would be required to sacrifice themself in order to seal/quell/appease some dragon or something. 

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I immediately object to the idea of a Fire Emblem being a person. I've played enough fire emblem games to know how that story goes. Mysterious, antisocial yet beautiful girl exists, eventually befriends avatar character by chapter 3, displays super mysterious powers in front of bad guys in chapter 5, bad guys kidnap her in chapter 6, game from there is all about getting her back even though the protagonists have no idea the true stakes of her being taken beyond a cyptic legend about this girl. Protagonists get her back in Chapter 15, but not before the bad guys successfully use her power to awaken the means to take over the world, Girl is now a permanent playable character that helps you undue this mess.

With all the things Fates did wrong, I love the idea of the Fire Emblem being the protagonist's weapon. I feel like they've been wanting to do that in several past games before somebody on the writing team shot the idea down. Every other time we see the Fire Emblem it's either a macguffin hunt, or inconsequential like in Shadow Dragon. Tellius also did a cool subversion with its Fire Emblem, since the thing it was sealing was a widely mistaken force that ends up being the key to saving the world. It wasn't written well, but it's a nice idea in concept.

The "What if the Fire Emblem was a person" thing, came from an idea that I came up with:

What if the Fire Emblem was a powerful chosen one destined for unleashing unspeakable evil unto the world? In short what if the Fire Emblem was for evil purposes only? Dragons not included.

Edited by MetalAmethyst

The Fire Emblem is going to be an ancient nuclear rocket launcher.

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

With all the things Fates did wrong, I love the idea of the Fire Emblem being the protagonist's weapon.

I second that.

I wouldn't mind the Fire Emblem being a person or a place instead of an object. Yeah, it has the potential of falling into certain tropes and pit falls, but I think it would be an interesting take.

But, I think it'll end up being either 1.) an ancient amulet needed for some ritual to either unleash or seal some kind of cosmic horror opponent, or b.) a royal crest of some kind that marks the possessor as a chosen one. Don't particularly mind the former but not a fan of the latter.

Edited by saisymbolic

Maybe just a bracelet of no real plot value.

JK I'd rather have it as an important object. It's usually referred to as the "key to power", but we never really see it in action. Part of me that always questioned Awakening (and many other FEs, but Awakening is more recent in memory) is that Gangrel wanted it so badly, yet we never really used the Emblem against him? I may be forgetting some of the later story though. But I always felt that the power of the Fire Emblem was never really properly explained, except in the Tellius series, Radiant Dawn in particular.

19 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Maybe just a bracelet of no real plot value.

JK I'd rather have it as an important object. It's usually referred to as the "key to power", but we never really see it in action. Part of me that always questioned Awakening (and many other FEs, but Awakening is more recent in memory) is that Gangrel wanted it so badly, yet we never really used the Emblem against him? I may be forgetting some of the later story though. But I always felt that the power of the Fire Emblem was never really properly explained, except in the Tellius series, Radiant Dawn in particular.

If I remember correctly, Gangrel wanted it because the Grimleal told him it could grant him any one wish, but what they forgot to mention is that it only works if you put all five gemstones into the shield first. Also, that its actual purpose is to either revive or seal away Grima. I think they only explained this part way through the Valm arc and into the last arc of the game though? That is why we never really had any need to use it against him. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

40 minutes ago, YingofDarkness said:

If I remember correctly, Gangrel wanted it because the Grimleal told him it could grant him any one wish, but what they forgot to mention is that it only works if you put all five gemstones into the shield first. Also, that its actual purpose is to either revive or seal away Grima. I think they only explained this part way through the Valm arc and into the last arc of the game though? That is why we never really had any need to use it against him. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

Ohhhhh ok. I didn't pay much attention to the Valm arc. Ok that makes more sense.

I would personally love to see a game where the entire plot revolves around finding out what the Fire Emblem actually is.

Then the game ends with a plot twist worth of a Kotaro Uchikoshi visual novel.

23 hours ago, Jave said:

I would personally love to see a game where the entire plot revolves around finding out what the Fire Emblem actually is.

Then the game ends with a plot twist worth of a Kotaro Uchikoshi visual novel.

That's a premise that's pretty easy to screw up though, particularly when the pay off sucks. That'll retroactively ruin the game's story and not to mention ruin the game itself for a lot of people ala ME3.

Edited by Watchman
Fixed grammar

Kind of surprised to see so many actually like the weapon idea. Came across as shoehorned in to me like the Fates team forgot to add a Fire Emblem and just said, "Make it the weapon!" But I never played it, maybe it works better if you play it.

Anyways, I"m of the persuasion that it should be shield like in some way. I is called an emblem after all. Hopefully it's better than the SS fire emblem. That one also felt kind of like an afterthought too.

God no, it can't be a person.  hate chosen ones and the like, and that's what it'd end up being.

It'll likely be an object of some sort, as usual. It'd be cool to see them weaponize it again, but in a way that's not badly written and makes sense.

21 hours ago, Gebby said:

God no, it can't be a person.  hate chosen ones and the like, and that's what it'd end up being.

It'll likely be an object of some sort, as usual. It'd be cool to see them weaponize it again, but in a way that's not badly written and makes sense.

Even if the chosen one was evil?

On October 26, 2017 at 7:37 AM, MetalAmethyst said:

Even if the chosen one was evil?

Hey, that's my idea! But seriously, people don't hate chosen ones, people hate chosen ones who are done poorly. The chosen one doesn't mean that said person is guarenteed to defeat evil; look at Luke Skywalker. Hell, in A Song of Ice and Fire one of the main mysteries is the identity of the chosen one; it could be Jon Snow, it could be Daenerys Targaryen, it could even be Victarion Greyjoy. Stories like Fates and Harry Potter do the Chosen One poorly, but that doesn't mean it has to be done poorly not is it fair to say you hate all chosen ones.

On October 27, 2017 at 12:40 PM, Watchman said:

It's a fun archertype to play with but the problem is IS is more likely to play the chosen one archetype painfully straight.

Even if it's played straight, it can work if it's well written. Better a well written but cliched story than whatever Fates was supposed to be.

It would be interesting if the Fire Emblem wasn't in the game...physically, but rather as an idea used as propaganda by the characters in the story with it being told so frequently that people think that the idea is a real thing.

Just a thought.