Worst Fire Emblem Lord?

Zepler

7 hours ago, Harvey said:

You shouldn't have to depend on supports to see the development of the main character. In FE7, you can see main characters show emotions without supports even being there. That's how main characters work.

Optional things like what Hector thinks of Oswin should only be in supports but shouldn't force players to rely on supports for main character's development throughout the course of the game.

Just imagine that to see Alm's tragedy, you need to support with Mycen for a lot of Alm's backstory to be revealed after you kill Rudolf. That just locks the sections of the plot of the main character.

Also, knowing that supports are slow as molasses,  why the hell would you watch supports to get the idea of the main character in the first place if you already don't like the character to begin with?

I see my point on why it doesn’t come up in the main story completely flew over your head.  Yes, he doesn’t express himself in the main story, but the game gives an actual, legitimate reason for this in his Sue and Shanna supports.  Roy has to keep himself together, if he doesn’t, it hurts morale.   And he knows this.  

Roy’s a character who has to put the cause as a whole before his emotions in the main story.  It’s not that he doesn’t have them.  It’s that he knows how to hide them, and has to do so.

Saying “I didn’t want to read them and they take forever to build” doesn’t invalidate the existence of Roy’s supports.  They’re all on SF, to boot, and it’s fully possible to read them like that.  

And even that part is pretty dumb considering that she's a spoilt brat who doesn't know her place until the supports change that.

How does Clarine being spoiled relate to Roy?  Beyond agreeing to help each other in Laus, they don’t interact.

Or Ignerene can take her to safety. Even then, that's exactly my point. He completely does everything practically flawless and you defending this even proves it.

The Arcadians volunteered Igrene to help Roy fight, sending her back to the village with Fae invalidates that.

It means that instead of Roy deciding what to do next, how about a small scene to show his emotions instead of relying on supports? It can just make the story experience better.

Again, I’ve already explained why Roy doesn’t do that.  Roy may not have the best self esteem, but he knows logic should come before emotions.

Where the hell did I say that lords have to be dumb but strong to stay relevant? Lords need a mix between both to stay relevant. Having a lot of knowledge means nothing if you are weak and being strong means nothing if you're not wise enough. Its like programming. You'll never end up being good at it unless you make use of the knowledge from it and grow further from it. And in Roy's case, it doesn't sound like he has learnt a lot from those books besides basic tactics.

I don't know if FE as of now has had a lord that does both perfectly but I do know that as of now, some of the lords I've seen are kinda dumb and strong admittedly.

But the only lords who act dumb are Marth, Hector and Alm and I suppose Lyn as well(from what I have played so far)Corrin while he has issues atleast has a mix between strength and somewhat of intelligence.

The way you said that it doesn’t make sense for a lord to be a bookworm while it does make sense for an advisor comes with the implication that lords shouldn’t be bookworms.  And to that, I asked, Why not?  Why does that not make sense?  What magical force is stopping lord characters from having more studious personalities?   

I don’t particularly understand the programming analogy.  

Also please explain why Marth is dumb.

Man you just love to defend this boy don't ya?

Did he learn any combat? Did we see him do any training in combat? Marcus slightly teaches him during the demo but that's it. If he was trained in combat, then he would have known by now to learn to get strong so that he wouldn't get self esteem issues as you happily reported.

When I criticized as mentioned above, I meant it in terms of presentation wise and not the actual plot btw.

The tutorial quite clearly depicts him training under Cecilia with Wolt and Lilina prior to the game’s events.  So yeah, we do see him actually training.

Roy’s self esteem is actually only partly due to him not being a great combatant.   There’s the whole noncompatible with anima magic thing (it’s spelled out pretty clearly in Cecilia/Lilina that he wanted to but wasn’t allowed due to Lilina’s knack for it, as Roy would work ten times as hard, make far less progress and get very frustrated as a result), but some of his supports tend to imply that it’s more related to generally doubting himself at what he is good at, see: Cecilia/Roy, Lance/Roy

Edited by Glaceon Mage
Formatting swap, old format was due to mobile so

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Lau said:

Ike...I just don't understand. What's so appealing about him? Him being a commoner? I don't see how this makes any difference, he acts pretty much the same as any other goddamn royalty in the series - goes on quest, wins, hailed as a hero. Heck, he's even made a lord by Elincia so does it really matter? He mouths off at Sanaki, yet for some reason he came out alive? Sorry, but even if Sanaki was messing around, you can't just speak like that to royalty, especially if you're a peasant. And don't even get me started on RD!Ike. PoR!Ike is tolerable, but oh my god, RD!Ike...he hijacks the entire plot - there's really no reason for him to have such a large role? It was the perfect opportunity to truly bring Elincia and Micaiah to the forefront, but nooo, IS just gives Ike all the glory. And now Heroes calls him the "strongest hero". Excuse me while I go vomit, please.

What's so appealing about him?

Well for one, he's a very well written character due to his flaws and strengths that makes up a very comprehensive personality and also makes him unique as a fe Lord.

He's quite blunt, hot headed, short tempered and quick to act impulsively. It's a unique part of his personality that drives him forward and this drives his growth as a character as he learns to overcome them. (He apologised to Elincia as soon as he learned how his short temper almost ruined her chances to get support from Begnion.) Mistakes and errors makes a great character. Perfectionism makes a marysue. XD

You don't see any other Lord going through a growing phase like him.

Also Ike never hijacked RD, HE is one of the main protagonist along with Micaiha. RADIANT DAWN, you know "the RADIANT hero and the priestess of DAWN"

Elincia develops a lot during Rd actually, she actually lacked development in POR. As for Micaiah, she has more screen time then Ike, has more avilibility then Ike and gets more developed then Ike( Ike had next to no development in Rd). Yune actually messes up her development during the tower of guidance.

Haha, Sorry for all this,I'm quite ok with you disliking him but I just felt like defending Ike since you kind of, um....judged him quite unfairly.... ;^^

3 hours ago, Skylorella Con said:

What's so appealing about him?

Well for one, he's a very well written character due to his flaws and strengths that makes up a very comprehensive personality and also makes him unique as a fe Lord.

He's quite blunt, hot headed, short tempered and quick to act impulsively. It's a unique part of his personality that drives him forward and this drives his growth as a character as he learns to overcome them. (He apologised to Elincia as soon as he learned how his short temper almost ruined her chances to get support from Begnion.) Mistakes and errors makes a great character. Perfectionism makes a marysue. XD

You don't see any other Lord going through a growing phase like him.

Also Ike never hijacked RD, HE is one of the main protagonist along with Micaiha. RADIANT DAWN, you know "the RADIANT hero and the priestess of DAWN"

Elincia develops a lot during Rd actually, she actually lacked development in POR. As for Micaiah, she has more screen time then Ike, has more avilibility then Ike and gets more developed then Ike( Ike had next to no development in Rd). Yune actually messes up her development during the tower of guidance.

Haha, Sorry for all this,I'm quite ok with you disliking him but I just felt like defending Ike since you kind of, um....judged him quite unfairly.... ;^^

"Blunt, hot headed, short-tempered and quick to act on impulse" can be applied to Hector, Ephraim and arguably Chrom. Possibly even Alm at times. Hardly unique. They also happen to be traits of a typical shounen hero, and traits that I'm really not too keen on. He overcomes them? I don't remember that. Either I'm not paying enough attention or it just wasn't shown well. I agree that mistakes and errors make a good character...which is why Micaiah is much better than Ike as a lord. Ike makes little to no mistakes, and honestly? That's not what I like to see in a lord.

Believe me, there are plenty of other lords that go through a "growing phase". Take Marth for example. He starts off as a naive, sheltered Prince whose world is turned upside down. He wants revenge, until stuff happens and he realises that the world isn't black and white, and that no, sometimes, kindness isn't going to help things. Eliwood is another example - he just wants to find his father, he thinks, yeah, Hector, Lyn and Marcus are here, we'll be fine. They're not fine. He learns from this, after he suffers loss after loss, and you can see him grow from it.

ike defintely hijacked the plot in RD. His character growth was all wrapped up in PoR, why did he need all that screentime in RD? He could have just shown up in Part 4 in a big damn heroes moment so that Elincia, Micaiah and everyone else could duke it out. But no, IS shoves him and the GM in there, pushing Micaiah to the side and making Elincia a helpless Princess. Again.

Yune does overshadow Micaiah, that's agreeable, but they could have lessened Yune's presence or let her possess someone else to give Micaiah the spotlight. But it still doesn't excuse Ike in the other parts where he comes out of nowhere and steals the show.

But yeah, the less I say about my honest opinion on Ike, the better. If I come across as awful then I'm so sorry, that's definitely not my intention. I judge Ike as I see him - and I don't see him in a good light. Sorry.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

You shouldn't have to depend on the thing that gives insight to all characters to see the development of the main character

Just, no.

Yes you shouldn't. If it only takes characters like Lewyn to change as time passes, then no. Supports are not needed for main characters to develop.

FE7 was also a more personal story. Also, you still wouldn't know 95% of the FE7 Lord trio if you didn't dive into their Supports.

You get to know Lyn's backstory without supports. You get to know alot of Hector if you play his mode and Eliwood is pretty much explained in his plot. So no you are wrong that supports are needed to know the main characters better. However, to see any development in some areas, supports are the only option.

Like, Supports being slow as fuck in FE6 is a thing but FE6 was also the first game in the series to do it.

Just because its the first doesn't give it an excuse for them to be slow.

Given that he was taught by the Mage General of Eturia, i'm pretty sure Roy learned more than just basic tactics. Probably one of the smarter Lords out there.

Then by your logic, he should have been promoted as soon as his teacher showed up or that he should have gotten blessings to get a damn promotion.

Ahahahahaha no. Marth and Alm aren't dumb. Hector isn't dumb either but he is reckless, so i suppose that counts.

Marth is pretty much dumb because everything is explained to him and he has to be educated as he doesn't even know his homeland. Its because of this that he is kind of dumb.

Same goes for Alm. Alm didn't listen to Celica and thus chaos happened. Although I suppose he's not dumb in that sense but kinda naive.

And Hector? Yeah pretty much. His recklessness ends up causing more troubles so in that sense, he is a total buffoon

Man, you just love to bash this boy, don't ya?

Funny thing is I don't want to. Its just that fanboys like you defend him to such an extent that even minute criticisms cannot be tolerated.

I'm out. Atleast one of you who quoted my posts was more or less lenient.

My least favourite Lord is probably Fe10 Ike. Him having a big role is fine, but I don't feel there was anything left to work with. He's just the standard hero and even the additional traits like being a big eater are utterly generic. Other then a brief conversation with Oliver I don't really remember any standout moments with him. Its a shame since I did like Ike in Path of radiance, despite some things not being handled as well as I would like.

Character: Corrin: (Note I will be referring to Corrin as "they" or "them" to avoid specifying gender, since Corrin can be either gender)

Though it's not entirely the character's fault, as a lot of the problems with them can be attributed to the terrible plot in general, but the character also has serious problems that severely harm the plot because of Corrin themselves:

M/Gary Sue: they distort the plot around themselves, turning even things that should have nothing to do with them being all about them and making Corrin seem like the only thing in the universe. They even make supporting characters worse by making some of their interactions with other characters all about Corrin. That is the definition of a M/Gary Sue.

Hopelessly naïve, among other things, yet they never learn. It's always a problem when a hero has clear faults, but never actually learns. Usually a problem in TV shows when directors and writers decide status quo is more important than character development. In this case, not only does Corrin go the whole game without ever actually learning, but no one in the game calls them out on their flaws. This wouldn't be a problem if Corrin realized their faults for themselves and tried to learn from their mistakes, but Corrin never learns; usually without consequences that are ever attributed to Corrin.

Unit: Shadow Dragon Marth. Level 30 instead of promoting, subpar base stats, and not the best growths. Unique swords and access to the convoy (at the permanent cost of an item slot, I might add) doesn't really compensate. On easy mode, I got Marth fully-leveled up, he had the Falchion, and Medeua still would've have one-round KO'ed him. If the lord character, at max level, stands no chance against the final boss he is supposed to be destined to defeat (while using a weapon that is said final boss' bane), then that lord is a bad unit. 

Character: Lief. He fails at literally everything, got captured and almost killed, failed almost every campaign he led, and had to be rescued by his Crusader cousin. He has the same problems Sigurd has, except that he has Roy's self doubt, with 2 conflicting mentors that ultimately don't matter because his army folded into Seliph's.

Unit: Micaiah needed a better game than Radiant Dawn. If she were in any other game, she would probably be broken. She can't stand even kill the final boss (if they remake this game, this needs to be fixed).

On 10/23/2017 at 6:34 PM, Hardin said:

I would have to give it to Sigurd. I like Sigurd, but getting your entire army wiped out is its own class of terrible. 

Sigurd is the Ned Stark of the Fire Emblem universe. Or perhaps the Rhaegar Targaryen. 

Edited by Etheus

11 hours ago, Lau said:

"Blunt, hot headed, short-tempered and quick to act on impulse" can be applied to Hector, Ephraim and arguably Chrom.

To be fair, all three are fairly well liked (Hector and Chrom more so, but Ephraim gets meme power to supplement), so while not unique, those types are rather appealing to a lot of people, and while Ike wasn't the first, he did get a lot of exposure.

Game-play: Eliwood

For being so mediocre, he excels at nothing. It makes me not want to re-play Eliwood mode because he's a forced deployment for the entire game.

Character: Alm/Chrom

For having nothing interesting to them and to me that worst thing in a character.

I think the only Lord I really dislike would be Corrin. They're just a really, really boring and badly-written character whose only potentially-interesting qualities are either implemented into their character really poorly or just not accounted for at all. It doesn't help that M!Corrin's voice is... off. I find it kinda abrasive, personally. I only ever select the Yuri Lowenthal voice (Voice 2) for M!Corrin for this reason.

Honorable(?) mention goes to Ephraim, as, while I don't dislike him, he's just really not compelling or interesting to me at all. In gameplay he's kinda cool, but character-wise, he's very hard for me to connect to or get invested in.

Aside from that, I pretty much at least sorta like every Lord, for various reasons. I think they all kinda have cool traits to them.

Edited by Topaz Light

Why is like each second thread arguing about Roy?

Anyways gameplaywise, sry but it's Roy for me because he's suffering from the increased difficulty in FE6 and his very late promotion. 
Micaiah is slow and fragile as hell but she can do stuff by thanibombing bosses and heal later on.

Storywise I find all the avatars are just bland fillers, especially FE12's. They appear out of nowhere and just overshine all the other characters
Also honorable mentions go to Ephraim who just tries to be a perfectionist and FE10 Ike who had like no personality development after three years. He became an uneducted muscleman. Tormod describes him 100% accurate in the conversation with him in 4-4. Tbf it's IS fault to give Ike the main spotlight instead of Micky in FE10 by giving him the final blow to Ashera. Another issue is that Micky is by far less great gameplaywise than Ike.

16 hours ago, Harvey said:

Marth is pretty much dumb because everything is explained to him and he has to be educated as he doesn't even know his homeland. Its because of this that he is kind of dumb.

Being sheltered doesn't equal being dumb.

18 hours ago, Harvey said:

Its just that fanboys like you defend him to such an extent that even minute criticisms cannot be tolerated.

I was going to reply to the entire thing but this line made me laugh. If you're gonna criticize Roy, do it right. Most of your criticisms about Roy sound more like just bashing. 

22 hours ago, Lau said:

"Blunt, hot headed, short-tempered and quick to act on impulse" can be applied to Hector, Ephraim and arguably Chrom. Possibly even Alm at times. Hardly unique. They also happen to be traits of a typical shounen hero, and traits that I'm really not too keen on. He overcomes them? I don't remember that. Either I'm not paying enough attention or it just wasn't shown well. I agree that mistakes and errors make a good character...which is why Micaiah is much better than Ike as a lord. Ike makes little to no mistakes, and honestly? That's not what I like to see in a lord.

Believe me, there are plenty of other lords that go through a "growing phase". Take Marth for example. He starts off as a naive, sheltered Prince whose world is turned upside down. He wants revenge, until stuff happens and he realises that the world isn't black and white, and that no, sometimes, kindness isn't going to help things. Eliwood is another example - he just wants to find his father, he thinks, yeah, Hector, Lyn and Marcus are here, we'll be fine. They're not fine. He learns from this, after he suffers loss after loss, and you can see him grow from it.

ike defintely hijacked the plot in RD. His character growth was all wrapped up in PoR, why did he need all that screentime in RD? He could have just shown up in Part 4 in a big damn heroes moment so that Elincia, Micaiah and everyone else could duke it out. But no, IS shoves him and the GM in there, pushing Micaiah to the side and making Elincia a helpless Princess. Again.

Yune does overshadow Micaiah, that's agreeable, but they could have lessened Yune's presence or let her possess someone else to give Micaiah the spotlight. But it still doesn't excuse Ike in the other parts where he comes out of nowhere and steals the show.

But yeah, the less I say about my honest opinion on Ike, the better. If I come across as awful then I'm so sorry, that's definitely not my intention. I judge Ike as I see him - and I don't see him in a good light. Sorry.

No, you didn't offend me at all. Like I said, I don't mind you hating him. I just felt like defending him since, according to me you judged him quite unfairly.

I really don't want to start a debate, especially about Ike but-

1) Elincia didn't stay a weak princess in Rd. She developed quite a bit in Rd as she was willing to let Lucia (whose like a sister to her) die for the sake of her people. She had the balls to tell Begnion/Zelgius to leave and how she wouldn't support them.

2) Ike absolutely had NO Development in Rd. Absolutely none, all he did was follow Ranulf's orders. Hell, Ranulf and Tibarn had more screen time then Ike. 

Again, he's ONE of the main protagonist and still had no development so I don't see how he hijacked his OWN game.

The only thing he did was defeat the black knight and Ashera.

Also the "Growing phase" about Marth you mentioned doesn't really develop him at all. I haven't played Fe 1 and 3 but I did play the remakes and Marth doesn't develop at all. All he does is blindly follow Nyna. 

Now the Growing phase about Ike I actually neglected to mention is quite different/ unique from every other Lord.

He starts of as a 17 old boy trying to live up to the expectations of his father. Only for him to rescue Elincia and gets involved in a war threatening his country. After that, some mysterious knight murders his father IN FRONT OF HIM/ in his arms and mentality and physically harms him. Two of his most trusted alies abandon him. Blinded by hatred he hungers for revenge and decides to aid Elincia along the way until he is thrust in a position, commander of the entire army, which he has no experience in what so ever, during the entire time the entire Begnion  royalty/Senate's moke him for his none royal heritage. Later he finds out how his father was the one who murdered his mother and how the medallion( his mother's keepsake) was involved in a wicked plan to destroy Tellius.......<--- I'm going to stop here_as I believe, I proved my point.

Marth and Eliwood's ( as much as i love him and despite him being my second favourite fire emblem Lord) development doesn't even come close to what Ike suffered and had to go through as a child (witnessing his mother's death by his own fathers hand, in front of him which was later erased from his memory) and as a teen.

Again, my intention isn't for you to like him, infact i'm perfectly fine with you disliking him.I simply wanted to defend him because I just really get pissed when people claim, he's not a well developed character, despite his development.

22 hours ago, Lau said:

"Blunt, hot headed, short-tempered and quick to act on impulse" can be applied to Hector, Ephraim and arguably Chrom. Possibly even Alm at times. Hardly unique.

It can! It most likely can but do they actually go and take their temper out on someone with a higher social standing then them?

Do they sass their bosses as Ike does? Do they speak their mind without thinking and ignoring who he's talking to? Obviously no. 

Yes, I know this isn't a positive personality trail and is kind of stupid which almost gets him KILLED but like I said the best character is the one who isn't perfect and makes stupid mistakes.

This is why I stated "his unique personality". Because he's the one who expresses it the most.

Edited by Skylorella Con

1 hour ago, Skylorella Con said:

No, you didn't offend me at all. Like I said, I don't mind you hating him. I just felt like defending him since, according to me you judged him quite unfairly.

I really don't want to start a debate, especially about Ike but-

1) Elincia didn't stay a weak princess in Rd. She developed quite a bit in Rd as she was willing to let Lucia (whose like a sister to her) die for the sake of her people. She had the balls to tell Begnion/Zelgius to leave and how she wouldn't support them.

2) Ike absolutely had NO Development in Rd. Absolutely none, all he did was follow Ranulf's orders. Hell, Ranulf and Tibarn had more screen time then Ike. 

Again, he's ONE of the main protagonist and still had no development so I don't see how he hijacked his OWN game.

The only thing he did was defeat the black knight and Ashera.

Also the "Growing phase" about Marth you mentioned doesn't really develop him at all. I haven't played Fe 1 and 3 but I did play the remakes and Marth doesn't develop at all. All he does is blindly follow Nyna. 

Now the Growing phase about Ike I actually neglected to mention is quite different/ unique from every other Lord.

He starts of as a 17 old boy trying to live up to the expectations of his father. Only for him to rescue Elincia and gets involved in a war threatening his country. After that, some mysterious knight murders his father IN FRONT OF HIM/ in his arms and mentality and physically harms him. Two of his most trusted alies abandon him. Blinded by hatred he hungers for revenge and decides to aid Elincia along the way until he is thrust in a position, commander of the entire army, which he has no experience in what so ever, during the entire time the entire Begnion  royalty/Senate's moke him for his none royal heritage. Later he finds out how his father was the one who murdered his mother and how the medallion( his mother's keepsake) was involved in a wicked plan to destroy Tellius.......<--- I'm going to stop here_as I believe, I proved my point.

Marth and Eliwood's ( as much as i love him and despite him being my second favourite fire emblem Lord) development doesn't even come close to what Ike suffered and had to go through as a child (witnessing his mother's death by his own fathers hand, in front of him which was later erased from his memory) and as a teen.

Again, my intention isn't for you to like him, infact i'm perfectly fine with you disliking him.I simply wanted to defend him because I just really get pissed when people claim, he's not a well developed character, despite his development.

It can! It most likely can but do they actually go and take their temper out on someone with a higher social standing then them?

Do they sass their bosses as Ike does? Do they speak their mind without thinking and ignoring who he's talking to? Obviously no. 

Yes, I know this isn't a positive personality trail and is kind of stupid which almost gets him KILLED but like I said the best character is the one who isn't perfect and makes stupid mistakes.

This is why I stated "his unique personality". Because he's the one who expresses it the most.

You bring up some very nice points, but my view on Ike will most likely never be changed, which I know is not your intention. I won't say anymore on Ike because I know how loved he is on here, sooo....

I don't want to start a debate, but if we're defending favourites then let me defend Marth.

Marth certainly does develop. His father was betrayed by allies and killed, and he went two years not knowing what happened to his mother and sister. He's forced into exile, stripped off everything he has ever known. Two years later, he deems himself ready to take back his kingdom - but it doesn't end there. He is out for revenge. He sees the world as black and white and believes that all of his enemies want to fight to stop him from getting back to Altea. This is further shown when he meets up with Nyna. He hears her story, and he finds himself an ally with the same goal as his - get their kingdoms back. He doesn't stop to consider that maybe there's a way to solve things without fighting because as far as he's aware, an eye for an eye. This is evidenced in one chapter, I believe it to be around the halfway point, where before battle he says something along the lines cutting down the enemy no matter what. You'll have to excuse me if my memory isn't 100%, I played SD a while ago. And it's in that same chapter where he meets a villager who basically tells him that the citizens of the opposing countries are against the war. He realises now that not every soldier he faces wants to fight, they are merely following orders that they can't disobey. He adapts a more grey view on the world, and he actually sympathises with the enemy, and it shows in his conversations with Nyna. He doesn't blindly follow Nyna - I believe the one time Nyna outright told him to do something was during the fight with Camus. Nyna doesn't call the shots, it's mostly Marth with advice from Hardin and Jagen. Marth's development isn't shoved in your face, it's slow and subtle, and honestly? It's the type of development we need more of.

Sorry for the paragraph, but as you know, everyone likes to defend their favourites.

I'd still have to go with Corrin on this one, especially on the Revelation path. When half the plot is because of you being a naïve idiot and goes out of its way to avoid giving you character development, you know you're a terrible lord.

On 10/26/2017 at 11:10 AM, vanguard333 said:

Unit: Shadow Dragon Marth. Level 30 instead of promoting, subpar base stats, and not the best growths. Unique swords and access to the convoy (at the permanent cost of an item slot, I might add) doesn't really compensate. On easy mode, I got Marth fully-leveled up, he had the Falchion, and Medeua still would've have one-round KO'ed him. If the lord character, at max level, stands no chance against the final boss he is supposed to be destined to defeat (while using a weapon that is said final boss' bane), then that lord is a bad unit. 

Huh.  So, let's do some number-crunching.

The only way Medeus would get a ORKO on Mar-Mar is if he doubled.  On Normal, Medeus has 21 Speed.  Marth would need 17 Speed or less to be doubled.

Meanwhile, Marth's Speed growth is 50%, and he averages 21 Speed at max level.  At best, you were stat screwed - but if we judged every character based on that, it wouldn't make for a meaningful argument (I'd argue Lyn for the worst lord for dealing single-digit damage to the final boss with the Sol Katti).  At worst. . .eh, no point in bringing that up.

Corrin is about the least memorable lord I can think of.

Roy is about as fascinating as a sack of potatoes, but even a sack of potatoes can be memorable. He's just not a good unit. >_>

I think the worst one statistically is Roy, of the ones I've used/out of the games I've played. I hear Shadow Dragon Marth is also pretty bad (or was that FE12 Marth?).

The one I like the least in the story is Ike. I just think he's boring, man.

The design I like the least is Chrom, just because I think sleeveless shirts should be outlawed, and having one sleeve isn't good enough. His face also always looked weird to me.

On 27/10/2017 at 9:38 PM, Lau said:

Marth certainly does develop. His father was betrayed by allies and killed, and he went two years not knowing what happened to his mother and sister. He's forced into exile, stripped off everything he has ever known. Two years later, he deems himself ready to take back his kingdom - but it doesn't end there. He is out for revenge. He sees the world as black and white and believes that all of his enemies want to fight to stop him from getting back to Altea. This is further shown when he meets up with Nyna. He hears her story, and he finds himself an ally with the same goal as his - get their kingdoms back. He doesn't stop to consider that maybe there's a way to solve things without fighting because as far as he's aware, an eye for an eye. This is evidenced in one chapter, I believe it to be around the halfway point, where before battle he says something along the lines cutting down the enemy no matter what. You'll have to excuse me if my memory isn't 100%, I played SD a while ago. And it's in that same chapter where he meets a villager who basically tells him that the citizens of the opposing countries are against the war. He realises now that not every soldier he faces wants to fight, they are merely following orders that they can't disobey. He adapts a more grey view on the world, and he actually sympathises with the enemy, and it shows in his conversations with Nyna. He doesn't blindly follow Nyna - I believe the one time Nyna outright told him to do something was during the fight with Camus. Nyna doesn't call the shots, it's mostly Marth with advice from Hardin and Jagen. Marth's development isn't shoved in your face, it's slow and subtle, and honestly? It's the type of development we need more of.

I guess it isn't Marth's fault_ rather the writhing of shadow Dragon is to blame for Marth coming of as an underwhelming lord for me.

Personally, I really like marth as a character. But a Lord not so much.

Well, I suppose this debate has come to an end then.

Gameplay; Roy. I don't think I need to explain, but late promotion, nothing special about his stats, sword-locked, 5 move for the majority of the game.

Dishonorable mentions to Leif, Micaiah and Eliwood. Eliwood is mostly bias on my part, so people who use him successfully, take no offense. He just will not play along for me. I know he has decent growths, but he just lets me down every time.

Story; Corrin, easypeasy. Though I'd blame Fates writing for that. It feels a bit unfair to pick on Corrin when another character says "Slappyface", and another says "rawr means I love you in dragon" in the same game. Of course the lord's character won't look so great next to others in the series.

So second place is shared by Marth, Eliwood, and Eirika. I don't necessarily think these are bad characters though. I just think they follow a predictable pattern. They could be much worse mind you, I just personally find them boring.

3 hours ago, Cornguy said:

Gameplay; Roy. I don't think I need to explain, but late promotion, nothing special about his stats, sword-locked, 5 move for the majority of the game

This is actually really easily fixed by giving him the Boots in Ch.14. That will bring his Move up to 7, which goes up to 8 when he promotes. Really helpful.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

This is actually really easily fixed by giving him the Boots in Ch.14. That will bring his Move up to 7, which goes up to 8 when he promotes. Really helpful.

Just what is the difference between using boots and rescuing him to the throne? Either way, he's still under screwage until end game.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Or

You could give those boots to somebody who might actually make use of them, rather than giving them to Roy and having him "keep up" while still staying off the front lines.