Have you ever made a stupid mistake when buying a game?

DarkDestr0yer61

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a game from Atlus, figuring that it would be good despite the fact that it looked like a harem anime.

Boy was I wrong!  The story was nauseating to the point where Corrin looks competent in comparison, and the gameplay was really boring.

Edited by eclipse

3 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I bought a game from Atlus, figuring that it would be good despite the fact that it looked like a harem anime.

Boy was I wrong!  The story was nauseating to the point where Corrin looks competent in comparison, and the gameplay was really boring.

What game?

Just now, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

What game?

Conception 2.  Just. . .stay away from that series.  The difficulty spike apparently occurs late, but I don't have the stomach to get there.

I bought Splatoon 2 (never played the first one) thinking i'd enjoy it. And i did tbh. But like, my interest in it has really died down. The mistake here? I went digital with it, so i can't return it if i want to.

I mean, i'd still play Splatoon 2 with my buddies and all, but it's gotten stale tbh.

23 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Conception 2.  Just. . .stay away from that series.  The difficulty spike apparently occurs late, but I don't have the stomach to get there.

Yup. While it wasn't exactly pricey, downloading the demo for that game is probably the worst game-related mistake I've ever made.

32 minutes ago, eclipse said:

PFFFFFFFFFFFFT HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

…I'm sorry…it's just too funny. It got me too, and I got the digital download because it was on sale for like $10 so I couldn't just go sell it off. You'd think a subtitle like "Children of the Seven Stars" with seven girls on the cover would have tipped us off, guess not. The story is fairly ridiculous, especially Serina's arc(WHAT IF CHEESE UNLOCKS THE HIDDEN POWER OF MILK?!), every single one of the seven story arcs has at least one quite fanservicey shot - with Fuuko's, Feene's, Serina's, and Torri's featuring a nude shot, Torri's and Ellie's featuring a panty shot, and Ellie's and Chloe's featuring a shower/rain shot(don't remember where Narika's fell in all this, it's been a bit) - the gameplay is really repetitive despite looking promising initially, the whole basic idea of Star Children is questionable at best, it manages to cover all kinds of story ideas in the arcs(Fuuko gets possessed, Ellie's actually dead-but-not-dead, Serina is a Loli Tsundere nuff said, Chloe is a teacher + singer but is like your age, Narika turns Yandere because of a cursed locket, Torri is Torri, Feene manages to not realize she's in love but finds out through…photography?) while managing to not do ANY of them really really well, Chlotz exists, Alec exists, DON'T GET ME STARTED ON MATTERO, there's a secret harem ending where the last sentence is the protagonist talking to all the girls, saying "Bear my children" and I could keep going but won't.

And yet somehow I don't regret that money dropped on the game. I think it's the Monokuma Bossfight DLC. And Torri. She's so freaking adorable. Heck, most of the girls are likable enough on their own or in pretty much any other game - I've even made Feene and Narika into Fire Emblem Units on a thread here somewhere - it's just that the game they're in kind of wrecks their potential.

The game's idea is interesting enough that I've made my own OCs within the game universe, the game itself just feels poorly done is all. It's still not as obvious as the first one, though - 'Conception: Please have my child' is just a touch more weird.

Anyways, to answer the original question…not really. The worst I've got is I saved up for months when I was younger to buy Sonic Heroes for the GameCube only to find there was something wrong with the disc so it would crash every time I finished the first level.

Edited by SoulWeaver

1 minute ago, SoulWeaver said:

…I'm sorry…it's just too funny. It got me too, and I got the digital download because it was on sale for like $10 so I couldn't just go sell it off. You'd think a subtitle like "Children of the Seven Stars" with seven girls on the cover would have tipped us off, guess not. The story is fairly ridiculous, especially Serina's arc(WHAT IF CHEESE UNLOCKS THE HIDDEN POWER OF MILK?!), every single one of the seven story arcs has at least one quite fanservicey shot - with Fuuko's, Feene's, Serina's, and Torri's featuring a nude shot, Torri's and Ellie's featuring a panty shot, and Ellie's and Chloe's featuring a shower/rain shot(don't remember where Narika's fell in all this, it's been a bit) - the gameplay is really repetitive despite looking promising initially, the whole basic idea of Star Children is questionable at best, it manages to cover all kinds of story ideas in the arcs(Fuuko gets possessed, Ellie's actually dead-but-not-dead, Serina is a Loli Tsundere nuff said, Chloe is a teacher + singer but is like your age, Narika turns Yandere because of a cursed locket, Torri is Torri, Feene manages to not realize she's in love but finds out through…photography?) while managing to not do ANY of them really really well, Chlotz exists, Alec exists, DON'T GET ME STARTED ON MATTERO, there's a secret harem ending where the last sentence is the protagonist talking to all the girls, saying "Bear my children" and I could keep going but won't.

And yet somehow I don't regret that money dropped on the game. I think it's the Monokuma Bossfight DLC. And Torri. She's so freaking adorable. Heck, most of the girls are likable enough on their own or in pretty much any other game - I've even made Feene and Narika into Fire Emblem Units on a thread here somewhere - it's just that the game they're in kind of wrecks their potential.

The girls start to develop on their own as the main character interacts with them, which helps a little. Some of its gets creepy, especially with the stylus.  But the amount of fawning over the main character is nauseating.  So is unit creation.  It's like someone took a bunch of weird fetishes, put it all together, and forgot to make a fun game out of it.

I bought Tales of Graces f for my ps3, but the case fell out of the bag it was in and I didn't notice it. I got another copy of the game just due to being a Tales fan and wanting all the games in the series I could get, however the game itself then became my least favorite in the series out of the ones I have played just due to the beginning alone failing to get me even remotely interested in the game.

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

The girls start to develop on their own as the main character interacts with them, which helps a little. Some of its gets creepy, especially with the stylus.  But the amount of fawning over the main character is nauseating.  So is unit creation.  It's like someone took a bunch of weird fetishes, put it all together, and forgot to make a fun game out of it.

Oh, definitely, which is why I started rewriting it a while back - the game needs someone who actually wants to make a good game to rework the entire thing…and preferably also cut out a lot of stuff so I don't have to admit I play an M-Rated game(still proud that it's my only one, though).

The Demo on its own was pretty much just the right amount of it all, but you get into the full game…I came out liking pretty much all the girls and none of the guys for their characters, especially Mattero, who's apparently like Naruto's Pervy Sage but worse.

The biggest mistake I ever made was buying the Tellius games off Amazon. Two games for a almost four hundred dollars. I thought, why not, what's the worst that could happen with the most highly praised series within the Fire Emblem fandom this side of Seisen no Keifu. I couldn't enjoy either of them, I could slog through Path of Radiance, but everything in Radiant Dawn just drove me up a wall and it was so boring. I tried to get a refund, but Amazon wouldn't let me.

2 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Oh, definitely, which is why I started rewriting it a while back - the game needs someone who actually wants to make a good game to rework the entire thing…and preferably also cut out a lot of stuff so I don't have to admit I play an M-Rated game(still proud that it's my only one, though).

The Demo on its own was pretty much just the right amount of it all, but you get into the full game…I came out liking pretty much all the girls and none of the guys for their characters, especially Mattero, who's apparently like Naruto's Pervy Sage but worse.

The idea of spirit babies doing your fighting is creepy.  Otherwise, it's somewhat akin to a generic RPG - everyone gets a class, and diversifying your roster is a Good Thing.  Problem is that a lot of games do the same thing, but better (see: Etrian Odyssey), without the godawful story.  It would take a basic reworking of everything from the ground up to make it not suck - and I suspect neither of us are the target audience.

now go play some Shin Megami Tensei, which balances much better gameplay with a proper M-rated story

3 minutes ago, Neopolitan said:

The biggest mistake I ever made was buying the Tellius games off Amazon. Two games for a almost four hundred dollars. I thought, why not, what's the worst that could happen with the most highly praised series within the Fire Emblem fandom this side of Seisen no Keifu. I couldn't enjoy either of them, I could slog through Path of Radiance, but everything in Radiant Dawn just drove me up a wall and it was so boring. I tried to get a refund, but Amazon wouldn't let me.

You're not alone.  I left a few people dead in Radiant Dawn because I couldn't be arsed to restart for them.  Still, glad you made it through Path of Radiance, which IMO had the better gameplay.

Three times actually. Well, two were stupid, one was just really horrible luck.

I was buying dragon quest VIII on amazon and it was pretty pricy for a ps2 game, but I finally found one that was super cheap. Well when it comes to my house I'm quite surprised to see no intro or setup or anything, the game just throws you in. Eventually I realized that I had bought some stupid demo version square enix released for some reason.

I wanted to get Ice climbers, and I was looking online and saw one that had a picture of a gba version of it, and I had a ds so I could play it. Well when I got it in the mail I was shocked to see that the game cartridge itself was bigger then my ds! It turned out that they were selling the NES version but they put the GBA picture in the listing, but fortunately they were nice and gave me my money back.

Ok this was the worst luck ever, it cost me $250. So dragons dogma used to only be for the xbox 360. I had been dying to get it for months, and eventually I decided I couldn't wait any longer, since it seemed they werent going to release it for any other systems. So I bought an xbox 360 specifically for that one game, and it was pretty decent, but definitely not worth all that money. 5 months later, Dragon's Dogma was released on steam, for only $40. -_-

Also I was kinda stupid when buying fire emblem fates. I was trying to decide which side I wanted to play more, so instead I just bought both of them. Well whaddya know, if you buy one you can get the other one for half the price in the game. And of course you miss content if you dont have them in the same game, so buying both of them from the eshop wound up costing me an extra $40 then I needed to spend

when i was 8 i asked for a copy of pokémon yellow, not realizing that it wasn't compatible with my ds lite

i still have it and look at it in disappointment sometimes lol

I bought Metroid Other M At least I got it on a sale for 10 bucks. Still, this is probably the first game where at some point I just said to myself: "You know, I'm not having fun. And I've played for long enough that I should have gotten to the part that is fun. So I won't let this game waste any more of my time." The story is one thing but the controls of the game are just atrocious and completely unintuitive.

The last straw was a quick time event at the end of the very first boss that I didn't even noticed was a quick time event because it takes place during normal first person view. First person mode freezes Samus in place, so what I was trying to was to leave that mode in order to get out of the way of the boss' attack. Once I realized after a few deaths that I wasn't meant to leave this mode, I instead did the second most lntuitive thing and started shooting at potential targets. Because hey, they put me behind my gun so clearly they want me to shot something. That didn't do anything either, so I died a few more times after that. What I was intended to do was to perform a dodge. Which you can apparently still do in first person despite the mode freezing your movement otherwise. And regular movement and dodging were both performed with the d-pad. At this point I'm not sure if I still articulate myself in a comprehensible fashion, so let's just say that this is basically like if in other games regular walking was disabled... but you could still dash with a double tap.

Also Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest. Not gonna count Awakening here because in that case I couldn't possibly have known just how bad it was. Nobody was saying a bad thing about that game at the time, least of all it's obnoxious cast of sociopaths and it's self-serving protagonists. But by the time of Conquest I should have realized that it would be impossible to find any enjoyment in that game, no matter how good the map design and mechanics may turn out to be. I mean, most people probably wouldn't touch even the most delicious meal after someone vomited all over it. But since I'm an idiot I just had to take a big bite out of it.

Also, I bought an SNES classic. I don't necessarily feel like I made a mistake but spending so much money on a few games old games from which I own most on Virtual Console already clearly wasn't the right thing to do. As far as I am concerned, that's just an objective fact.

Buying Pokemon Sun... I mean at first it didn't feel like a mistake at all, but Ultra Sun/Moon was announced a few months after release and will be released a year after sun and moon... And like all pokemon games, the second editions always have more stuff for the same price... >_> I should have just waited. I feel kinda ripped off for it to be honest... I thought maybe I'd skip the second edition and get the D/P remakes when that comes by, but then Gamefreak is not going to do more pokemon games on the 3ds presumably so ... :S

Buying FE:Conquest was also quite a dissappointment. I was hoping it would be different from Awakening, but it just took the things I didn't like from awakening and made them worse... I still haven't finished either of the games... They just feel extremely boring and annoying to play through, and I can't give a rats ass for what content there is outside of battles. I don't want a dating sim... I much preferred Radiant Dawn's and PoR's style.

7 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Buying Pokemon Sun... I mean at first it didn't feel like a mistake at all, but Ultra Sun/Moon was announced a few months after release and will be released a year after sun and moon... And like all pokemon games, the second editions always have more stuff for the same price... >_> I should have just waited. I feel kinda ripped off for it to be honest... I thought maybe I'd skip the second edition and get the D/P remakes when that comes by, but then Gamefreak is not going to do more pokemon games on the 3ds presumably so ... :S

Except Sun and Ultra Sun are completely different games with completely different stories.

I forgot, I also once tried to buy Castlevania: Circle of the Moon but ended up with a copy of the GBA port of Castlevania 1. The thing is, both games are simply named "Castlevania" in Europe and I bought the game used without any of the packaging. Of course I pretty much fell in love with Castlevania 1, so that was a good mistake to make.

Edited by BrightBow

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Except Sun and Ultra Sun are completely different games with completely different stories.

I find it very hard to see Ultra Sun/Moon as COMPLETELY different games from Sun and Moon. I don't play pokemon for the story. I play it for battling pokemon, and Ultra Sun and Moon are the completed form of Gen 7 in that regard. It has all the pokemon (unlikely that Sun and moon will get an update for the new UB's and any other new form for other poke's), more stuff to do in the islands (like Mantine Surf) plus new places, and probably will have move tutors and other cool stuff which should honestly have been present in Sun and Moon to begin with. Pokemon has done this before though, just look at R/S/E, D/P/Pt, where in each case Emerald and Platinum brought a lot more to the table than the other two games in each generation. I thought it might not happen with this gen because it didn't happen with X/Y... but bleh.

Bought a used game from Gamestop. Mistake one. Game was King of Fighters: Maximum Impact. Mistake two.

Game hardly ever played. When it did play, I had to endure cringe-y English dialogue and out-of-place 3D models.

still sort of enjoyed it tho ngl

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

1 hour ago, SoulWeaver said:

LMAO

The demo got me too, guys. But, I will admit I liked this one jingle from that game, so it wasn't a complete temporary waste of space.

2 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

I find it very hard to see Ultra Sun/Moon as COMPLETELY different games from Sun and Moon. I don't play pokemon for the story. I play it for battling pokemon, and Ultra Sun and Moon are the completed form of Gen 7 in that regard. It has all the pokemon (unlikely that Sun and moon will get an update for the new UB's and any other new form for other poke's), more stuff to do in the islands (like Mantine Surf) plus new places, and probably will have move tutors and other cool stuff which should honestly have been present in Sun and Moon to begin with. Pokemon has done this before though, just look at R/S/E, D/P/Pt, where in each case Emerald and Platinum brought a lot more to the table than the other two games in each generation. I thought it might not happen with this gen because it didn't happen with X/Y... but bleh.

Well if you're not playing Pokémon for the story then yeah that just invokes a whole other problem. If that's the case, you're better off just playing on Showdown if you're only interested in battling. :p

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

You're contra (Latin for against) con*achoo*ception? So you're saying I should not conceive of buying it? And if I do, I should abort the purchase? Or at least donate it to someone else?

For myself, in retrospect, I regret getting F-Zero GX (too hard), Metrioid Prime (it's just not for me), Luminous Arc 1 and 2, Triforce Heroes, Rivera the Promised Land (despite some, memorable, memories), Kid Icarus, Child of Light, Sands of Destruction, Super Street Fighter IV (but it was in a Humble Bundle that got me Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, so it wasn't so bad), Tales of Phantasia, Endless Ocean, FE Fates: Revelation, Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army, and lastly Soul Hackers a bit. I could name more if I really wanted to confess every game I have had issues loving. I try to avoid making regretful purchases, but I can't avoid this completely it seems.

52 minutes ago, Neopolitan said:

with the most highly praised series within the Fire Emblem fandom this side of Seisen no Keifu

The praise is largely for plot (in RD, and even then it isn't perfect), aesthetics, numerous non-main characters being realistic (as in non-exaggerated gimmicky) but good in PoR (supports are awful in RD), music and world building. Gameplay isn't particularly exceptional, but no damningly bad either beyond some faults of RD's Part system experimentation.

Also, Seisen no Keifu is hyped up. Good music, good world, good plot (well the first generation at least, but the second isn't so special, and the first has its faults too). The gameplay is very polarizing though. It's like RD, in many ways. Unlike Seisen though (assuming emulator), if you play RD, you'll currently need to spend big bucks. And even if you dislike Seisen, you won't regret playing it as much as you do PoR/RD, because they cost you a lot of real money. Hence, it might be better to wait on buying games you find questionable until you can obtain them for a low price, it'll be a little less regretful that way.

Don't trust in the hype completely, read reviews, read minutiae on the gameplay, and always remember "let the buyer beware". No purchase you ever make in life is 100% guaranteed to make you happy (although if you want to enjoy it, but can't, it might be a serious psychological problem in need of help). And reading too many reviews may make your experienced impacted by their negativity.

But I really should stop providing whatever I do every time criticism Tellius comes up. It's a hassle and it isn't necessary in the grand scheme of the universe and more importantly, my life. It also makes me in all likelihood more unlikable and portrays me worse than I am to other SF users.

@eclipse Oh mod who moves with the agility born of Celerity. Who wields the legendary Banhammer effective against all armored or not. Who is the darkening sky. A tome of long range and HP halving, an OHKO on a crit but useless due to terrible hit. Who is the NoA name for the Black Knight's RD wicked mastery skill. Who is a summon costing 3 Jupiter and 2 Mercury Djinn. Should I ask in a PM in a serious manner (as in not strikethrough), could you put a temporary ban on me of 2-4 weeks? I love SF so much, but I'm afraid it's effecting me IRL, and even if a ban doesn't prevent me from stalking anonymously, it will be punch I might need to get myself disciplined again. Don't do it now, only if I ask for it again when I honestly can think I myself can no longer control the urge to SF. If I can't manage my use of this site on a normal basis, I need a sabbatical from it.

Just now, Ronnie said:

Well if you're not playing Pokémon for the story then yeah that just invokes a whole other problem. If that's the case, you're better off just playing on Showdown if you're only interested in battling. :p

Don't get me wrong I like playing through the region and stuff. I just prefer to play through the version of the game that has the most stuff like sidequests, endgame content, mini games and the like. Ultra Sun and Moon have so much more going on (it seems anyway) that it just feels like they could have delayed Sun and Moon a little and placed all of that stuff in that game instead.