Have you ever made a stupid mistake when buying a game?

DarkDestr0yer61

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You're contra (Latin for against) con*achoo*ception? So you're saying I should not conceive of buying it? And if I do, I should abort the purchase? Or at least donate it to someone else?

It makes a great gift for any ultra-religious person who you think needs help with women! Right on par with sugar-free gummy bears~! :P:

Also, PM me if/when you need that.  I'm not on every single day, but I'll do my best to get to it~!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don’t know if I’ve really made a mistake on buying a game I like taking risks when I can afford to do so as this has introduced me to many games I love now (like Catherine a really weird game that turned out to be my jam), and I would’ve never played them if I didn’t take a risk on them in the first place, so I don’t really regret purchasing games I end up not liking because it was a risk I thought was worth taking.

Recently I took a risk on the Disdaea 5 Ultimate (also Arms but that one was forced on me as bundles were the only option for me at the time) for the Switch I ended up disliking the game a lot for it’s extremely cringe worthy story and frankly boring and unchallenging gameplay.

But on the same token on my brothers recommendation I bought Mario + Rabbits: Kingdom Battle which turns out to be one my favorite games I’ve played this year, it is so good it’s basically just a better XCOM (IMO).  Like seriously this game is amazing, rabbits are still stupid (Ubi toned them down a lot for this game so they’re not really that annoying at all) but this game is incredible.

Edited by Locke087

I might get some flak for this, but buying Xenoblade Chronicles is the first thing that comes to mind. It was $50 for a used copy, which seemed good at the time since most copies were going for much more (this was before the 3DS version was announced). I played it for a few hours, but I could never get into it. Eventually I got to a boss that killed me multiple times and just didn't feel like figuring it out and continuing.

In the end it might be for the better though because seeing the leads in XC2 made me gag.

I haven't made any too dumb purchases. One I did regret is actually getting a 360. I was young and naive so I literally got it just to play Minecraft (which tbh I do regret getting both the 360 and later the pc version) and that was it. So it was basically useless. I do have a few games to play on it now however, most notably Tales of Vesperia, so that at least makes it useful again.

2 minutes ago, Florete said:

I might get some flak for this, but buying Xenoblade Chronicles is the first thing that comes to mind. It was $50 for a used copy, which seemed good at the time since most copies were going for much more (this was before the 3DS version was announced). I played it for a few hours, but I could never get into it. Eventually I got to a boss that killed me multiple times and just didn't feel like figuring it out and continuing.

In the end it might be for the better though because seeing the leads in XC2 made me gag.

I had that trouble too, I got it and got caught up/burnt out by it. It just takes some effort. I'll admit I'm not far into it whatsoever still but I have at least gone back to play it after I first start it (curse you Fire Emblem Warriors, Bravely Default, and Valkyria Chronicles for taking all my time away!)

• For me it was getting Spiderman 3 on the Ps3 and on the Ps2. I was thinking that the game would be like the second game. Boy I was wrong twice.
  • Marvel Super Hero Squad, I don't know want possessed me to buy the game new that day.
  • Megaman Zero Collection, somehow I thought that the Zero series was the best place to start my entrance to the Megaman franchise. I didn't expect a brutal platformer to a person with no experience with the genre.  
  • Super Steer Fighter 4  Arcade Edition, getting a fighting game with no experience with the genre was a bad move, at least it had Yuri.
  • Lego Lord of the Ring, I'm a casual LotR fan, yet I bought the game, it was okay the money would have been spent better elsewhere.
  • Playstation All Stars, I somehow bought into the hype of a Sony smash bros. (and I'm a double sucker for buying all the DLC.
  • Dust 541: From the makers of EVE online give you a mediocre shooter where your stuff is gone permanently.

And so much more   

46 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

For myself, in retrospect, I regret getting Kid Icarus,

Assuming we're talking about the original, i kinda regret it too. It's....alright as a game, but i could never get past the first boss. There's no map and the boss is hard as hell, even if you do rescue the Centurions.

I also played Of Myths and Monsters and it had the same issues as the original. Really, only Uprising is the only good Kid Icarus game (and rightfully so, Uprising is an amazing game).

34 minutes ago, Florete said:

Eventually I got to a boss that killed me multiple times and just didn't feel like figuring it out and continuing.

Which boss was it? It's a shame you didn't enjoy Xenoblade Chronicles but i also understand it. The game isn't for everyone and some of the bosses can get pretty frustrating (one in particular made me pay for my insolence and the only reason i gave Xenoblade Chronicles a 9/10 instead of a 10/10 is because of that one boss fight).

Edit: @Jingle Jangle Mega Man Zero Collection does have an easy mode. Did you ever try that?

Edited by Armagon

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Mega Man Zero Collection does have an easy mode. Did you ever try that?

Thank you for reminding me of that regret. It was cheating on Easy Mode Scenario, but still put up a challenge. I've come to realize extreme platformers aren't for me. It's why I'm wary of buying Donkey Kong Country Returns. I can handle Marios though. Don't know about Sonic not having played one in forever.

Also, I bought them for a 1-2 bucks each, but Mega Man X4 isn't so fun as X on my Wii U without restore points to make getting through the maps, and sometimes the bosses, easier and more fun. I could nearly kill the spider on some tries, but I never took down even that.

Mega Man 8 is another cheap $1-2 regret. Frost Man's Skis from Niflheim are just impassable. The rest of the game is good enough, but over half of it is out of my sight because of "Jump! Jump! Slide! Slide!".

Muramasa: The Demon Blade for Wii, well I liked many things about it, but it convinced me I can't do hardcore action. Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir on Normal and sometimes Hard was great though.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Which boss was it? It's a shame you didn't enjoy Xenoblade Chronicles but i also understand it. The game isn't for everyone and some of the bosses can get pretty frustrating (one in particular made me pay for my insolence and the only reason i gave Xenoblade Chronicles a 9/10 instead of a 10/10 is because of that one boss fight).

Don't remember, it's been some years now. I remember it wanted me to do a chain attack. I don't think it was the chain attack tutorial, but probably the first boss after that that required it.

I bought an Xbone for the Mater Chief Collection. I got some fun out of Sunset Overdrive and Halo 5, but that whole purchase was a mistake. 

Similar deal with the Wii. Got it at launch for Twilight Princess(I hate Twilight Princess), and REALLY enjoyed maybe 4 games on the system in its lifetime. But the Wii was at least cheap. 

I bought a couple games that I regret in recent years: Bravely Default and a couple 3DS games that I lost interest in pretty quickly that were back when the system was new.

I also bought Mega Man X7 over...Fire Emblem on the GBA. Yes, I was that bad of a buyer back then when word-of-mouth on the internet was hard to find.

I regret getting a lot of games that are non-Nintendo majority of the times.

List here includes some of the most regretful ever

1. Azure Striker: Gunvolt : Basically has a shallow gameplay as well as plot. Not worth for its asking price.

2. Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy(I'm a Layton fan btw so don't fight me here!): Has the worst plot in the entire series with puzzles being more or less rehashed. Not worth after a long wait to get the game.

3. Asassin's Creed Brotherhood: Very repetitive and lack of polish. Wasn't aware that its under DRM so that's a plus.

4. Rayman Legends and Origins: As a Rayman fan, I was disappointed with how the games ended up being. compared to the previous games, levels are always in the form of endless runners. 100% them also feels underwhelming as well as nothing truly ever happens. Even Kirby and Mario games do this better.

5.La-Mulana: I am not a fan of this game but I only got it because I wanted to support the devs(and wouldn't you know that I also supported for the sequel as well) its not worth because its frustrating for wrong reasons and it doesn't have cloud save so my saves were gone when something happened to my laptop.

6. Rex Rocket: Most boring and annoying game I bought. I didn't bother beating the final boss for this one because its practically impossible for me.

7. Tomb Raider Anniversary: DRM free but still boring. Guess I'm not so into realistic looking games.

8. Monument Valley: Game is good but the content is underwhelming. You have to buy another set of levels to get the full enjoyment.

9. Shantae: Half Genie Hero: Content is underwhelming, broken metroidvania style that makes Pirate's curse the better game, lack of additional content that was suppose to be here by now, bunch of fetch quests that have nothing to do with the main plot pretty much says that its not worth its asking price. Wait for a discount.

To me, I rarely get any disappointment from Nintendo games because they provide games that I'm into a lot of the times. Its just that when I try elsewhere, that quality is just not there for me a lot of the times except in rare occasions like Worms, Pirate's Curse, Chrono Trigger etc.

I also played Of Myths and Monsters and it had the same issues as the original. Really, only Uprising is the only good Kid Icarus game (and rightfully so, Uprising is an amazing game).

9 hours ago, Florete said:

As Pit says it best: Now that is something we can both agree on!

That scene is the funniest of all to me! :D

Edited by Harvey

I have a couple of them (And one that isn't a buy, but still a regret):

Getting a used copy of FIFA 06: the game forces you into a match versus a bunch of great players at the start and I kept being beaten, frustrating the whole thing. And of course it was scratched, which made playing it more difficult again. It put me off FIFA entirely.

I also regret spending €25 on one of the Spyro DS games. It's not fun, the bosses aren't intuitive and the most interesting thing was mirror minigame, not the main game itself.

There was also asking for Enter the Dragonfly for Christmas. That was a mistake that still gets to me after nearly 15 years. I don't think I need to elaborate on that.

I might think of more, can't recall others right now.

50 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Azure Striker: Gunvolt : Basically has a shallow gameplay as well as plot. Not worth for its asking price.

*inhales* Listen, i know we all have opinions and all and i respect that, but you just hit my triggered button, seeing as how Gunvolt is my third favorite video game series of all time, as well as being my most favorite indie game series.

I have to strongly disagree on the gameplay being shallow. On the contrary, zapping enemies just feels so good due to how flashy it is and despite Prevasion being the most broken thing ever, some bosses out there will still give you some legitimate trouble. There's also the fact that, at least in Gunvolt 1, if you want to get the best score in a level, you have to not take a single hit, otherwise, you lose all of your points. Gunvolt is certainly easier than the Mega Man Zero games that inspired it, but in a way, it's harder too. Gunvolt 2 (and later on, the Switch version of the Striker Pack) introduced diffculty settings for the score: Gutless, Cautious, and Fearless. Gutless makes it so you never lose points, no matter how many hits you take, Cautious makes it so you lose all points after three hits and Fearless is Gunvolt 1 where a single hit=losing all points.

Gunvolt 2 introduced Copen as a playable character and his playstyle is more technical. It also satisfies the Mega Man X players, since Copen is able to air dash just like in those games, and he also has Mega Man's signature ability of copying boss abilities, which, just like in Mega Man, are super effective against certain bosses.

The only thing i'll agree that's shallow is the enemy variety. But that's not really a big detriment to the series (though it could really use some more enemy variety).

The plot is much better if you play the official updated localization. The game's first localization was actually pretty garbage but then the Steam version came and had a proper localization, which was later added to the 3DS versions via update. Gunvolt 2's plot is also pretty decent and there's hints at a third game in the works.

Gunvolt's plot isn't anything mindblowing but it works and, tbh, the real meat of the Gunvolt series is the gameplay, not the story (huh, kind of like almost every Mega Man game ever made).

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

*inhales* Listen, i know we all have opinions and all and i respect that, but you just hit my triggered button, seeing as how Gunvolt is my third favorite video game series of all time, as well as being my most favorite indie game series.

Look who made the post. It's not worth it, man. The words aren't worth it. 

Someone  badmouthed Azure Striker Gunvolt. Somebody call the cops.
More seriously, opinions guys, opinions. Though I don't agree. it seems like he couldn't take the difficulty of the game.

Hmm, I bought FFXIII at 5 or so euro, but it wasn't really a mistake, since I fully expected it to be bad, it was more 'I have 5 bucks now what', than anything.
I love Minecraft, it's honestly one of the best game I ever played, but after a while, my computer couldn't take it anymore, it was too old, so I bought the 360 version... the differences between both were... striking. The size of the world is painful.

Oh, and Terraria on 3DS. Good grief, how is it possible to make such ridiculously tiny maps ? And when you beat the wall of flesh and the hardcore mode is activated (or whatever it is called) it is literally tiny blocks that were transformed, like; what the actual hell.
The 360 version on the other hand, do it's job.

15 hours ago, eclipse said:

Conception 2.  Just. . .stay away from that series.  The difficulty spike apparently occurs late, but I don't have the stomach to get there.

Everyone hate it, and so far, I can see why.
But good grief, you said that the main character is pathetic even when you take Corrin by comparison, it make the game seems even worse in my eyes.

13 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:
  • Megaman Zero Collection, somehow I thought that the Zero series was the best place to start my entrance to the Megaman franchise. I didn't expect a brutal platformer to a person with no experience with the genre.     

Relatable... except my first Mega Man was the original Zero on GBA. No easy scenario, no knowledge, no experience! how did I come to like this series again?

As for the topic, I regret buying Mario Kart 8. I tried so hard to like it, but I really hate the new mechanics.

Bought a copy of FE12 without having the knowledge that 3DS was region locked. So I bought s JP DS which was the second mistake because the DS was region free unlike the 3DS for some reason. (I will never ever understand videogame compsnies) Anyways I sold the DS after beating this game and gave the copy away to my girlfriend. Technically I did two mistskes with one game.

15 hours ago, saisymbolic said:

The demo got me too, guys. But, I will admit I liked this one jingle from that game, so it wasn't a complete temporary waste of space.

Every single one of the girls' themes is at least tolerable if not enjoyable, there's even EDM remixes of them all on iTunes in the official soundtrack - Narika's is actually really cool because they made it into the kind of theme you wish you had for a spooky level, fitting because it's titled A Little Bit of Courage and because Narika's super shy.

1 hour ago, B.Leu said:

Everyone hate it, and so far, I can see why.
But good grief, you said that the main character is pathetic even when you take Corrin by comparison, it make the game seems even worse in my eyes.

Like I said, chances are you'll come out of the game loving at least three of the seven main Heroines, between neutral and liking for the rest of the Heroines and at least disliking if not hating everyone else with a name(except maybe Mark) - Chief Ruby is weird and kind of creepy, Mattero is SUPER creepy and would definitely get arrested and defrocked in real life(yeah, he's a PRIEST), Alec is annoying at best, Chlotz…Chlotz was aptly named seeing as how it's almost klutz but they couldn't even spell klutz right, the number of stupid moves he makes in that game, the Hero…he's super generic at best, a douche at worst, hard to sympathize with unless you REALLY try, etc, the bad guys are meh, the list goes on. I'd say check out the Heroines on like the Wiki or something, ignore literally everything else. If you really want to test it out, it does have a Demo which I thought was just the right amount of everything in the game - the problem of course being that it was the Demo, meaning the real game likely has too much of everything…plus you could only talk to Fuuko, Ellie, and Torri…eh, half of my favorites plus Ellie, who as I mentioned before is actually dead…but not. They really didn't handle her storyline well.

5 hours ago, Harvey said:

1. Azure Striker: Gunvolt : Basically has a shallow gameplay as well as plot. Not worth for its asking price.

I'd say Gunvolt is definitely at its best when played by someone who was really really into Megaman, preferably with focus on the Zero/ZX Series - I started it after beating Zero 1 who-knows-how-many times and I thought it was amazing. The plot could use a little shoring up here and there, and it doesn't help that almost all the other merchandise for the series that actually helped build backstory and the like are Japan-Exclusive, but the game definitely holds its own looking at it as a Megaman game. As for the second game, which I assume you never got since you didn't like the first, I'd say it beats the first in almost every aspect, with the only issue being that it can be kind of confusing if you don't know the plot of GV1. Copen, from what I've heard seeing as how I haven't played ZX or the original X games, plays halfway between X from X series and Model H from ZX, and he breaks the whole game once you get the hang of Bullit Dashing - you can spend entire levels(minus the bossfight) without ground movement once, it's all dashing through the air, bouncing off enemies, the walls, the ceiling and even occasionally the floor, plus they added Lola to go with Lumen so if you're into synthesizers or music that sounds like them then Lola's a definite plus, not to mention she's way snarkier than Lumen. But no, it's not necessarily the best game for people who didn't like the Zero/ZX series.

3 hours ago, Slumber said:

Look who made the post. It's not worth it, man. The words aren't worth it. 

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

You have a fair point.

I'm not going to bother attacking you guys further. Its in my opinion that I don't like gunvolt and I am not going to get into it anytime soon. In the end, if you are not happy with what you have, then the game just didn't do it.

Only reason I tried it is because people like you are always complaining or suggesting to me to not always stick to Nintendo games all the damn time because it narrow my interests and whatnot and that's it. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother with it. Certain games don't appeal to everyone and Gunvolt isn't for me.

When I got my 3DS, I wanted a game with it, and ended up with Tales of the Abyss. While I have some issues with the game (Guy ad his backstory...), that's not the issue here.
Thing is there weren't enough European copy available, and I asked it for Christmas. It took a while, and we ended up having it for twice the price. Then a few month laters, they sent more copies...

On the game I regret buying. Xenoblade Chronicles and Code STEAM. I have nothing really against hem, but I'm never gonna touch them ever again, let's face it.
Persona 4G, because Persona/SMT actually aren't my kind of games.

And, obviously, Final Fantasy X.

Now, that may trigger many peope, so remember it's absolutely not a constructed critique, just a report on my feelings wjile playing the game.
FFX's main problem is that it isn't a bad gameI was just never able to get into the story. Everything in this game is freaking ridiculous (the godawfull dub don't help. Wakka is especially terrible (that laugh scene howeveris actually one of the rare ones that works)). But everyone acts as if it's a really deep story, without having any nuances (Partly why FFX-2 is far superior. It fully embraces its rdiculousness, and just tries to have fun. Not a great games by any means (Dungeon Travelers 2 do that better), but a better one) The world is beautifull, but feels empty. And the romance is really terrible. It's obvious from the start it will never works, but it's played as the best love story ever (then, many people thinks the same way about Romeo and Juliet...). Tidus being a pretty bad character all around doesn't help it's a good comical character, but it's absolutely not a hero.)
Blitzball was also really terrible, and most minigames were a chore. The gameplay didn't really hooked me as well.

And, having such a lauded game  being such a decption really made me doubt for a short while. Doubting if I could ever replay a video game ever again (then I played DQ7 and all my worries disappeared.).
Yet, I'm not sure if I really regret buying it, because it forced me to have many considerations and reflexions on my relationships to video games.

The first time I went into Dubai, I accidentally bought a bunch of European PS1 games (this was 2000). Needless to say, no one was interested in taking returns, and I had to sell them for like a fraction of the cost.