Is this game worth getting?

DisobeyedCargo

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Birthright allows you to grind more easily (so if you don't care much about the strategy gameplay but do care about getting 100% of the kids as easily as possible, Birthright is the way to go), and is also generally easier/more straightforward in its map design. There are certainly some player types who I would legitimately recommend it over Conquest to, despite my personal view that Conquest is one of the great games of recent years and Birthright is merely solid.

38 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

It's sounding like Conquest is really worth playing. What exactly makes Birthright worth playing over Conquest?

What @Dark Holy Elf said, Birthright is great for players who like to grind a lot and don't want to replay the game to see all the content like child units. It's also just easier even without taking grinding into account - there  is only one chapter I would dare to call challenging, while the rest are all pretty easy, but still stimulating at least (more so than Awakening's late game, anyway).

On 10/27/2017 at 7:27 PM, DisobeyedCargo said:

Jesus Christ 40-60 turns! That's... a long time.

guess I know which one I'm not getting 

I'm sure some could shave it down a bit, especially with LTC strats, but if you want to get all the treasures these maps have to offer, then buckle down.

Although I don't know if it's even possible to LTC chapter 7.  Maybe can cut it down to 30 or even 20 if you just head straight for the boss, but you'll miss out on quite a few treasures doing that.

Not only that, but sometimes the weapons and items enemies carry are totally asinine.  You might find a random lancer carrying a Sun Festal (healing rod; he can't use it) or an archer holding a special dagger (also can't wield it).

So not only are they long, but there's, like, no thought put into the maps at all.  And there's one part where you have to play two chapters back-to-back, which is undoubtedly the most frustrating part of Revelation.

On 10/29/2017 at 3:03 PM, DisobeyedCargo said:

It's sounding like Conquest is really worth playing. What exactly makes Birthright worth playing over Conquest?

It's more like Sacred Stones and Awakening in that it allows you to do skirmishes; you can straight up just pay a fee on a map for bandits to appear, as opposed to buying reeking boxes in Awakening.  You can get all the C-A supports in one playthrough because of this, whereas in Conquest you either need to play the game multiple times or use DLC to do this.  Not only that, but it isn't piss-boiling difficult.  Also, it's generally better to play BR first for a few reasons, not least of all being the difficulty possibly boring you after playing CQ.  Though that would really depend on if you were interested in and able to purchase multiple paths.

A good amount of what makes BR easy is Ryoma, who is basically the lobster cousin of Seth on steroids; use him sparingly, or take away that sword of his and give him a daikon radish if you want to up the challenge a bit.  Though there's also the fact that maps and objectives aren't quite as spiced-up as Conquest's; I'd say they're of roughly the same quality as Awakening.  That being said, things are more balanced, so don't expect the mind-numbingly stupid difficulty spike between Hard and Lunatic that Awakening was oh-so-kind to grace us with.

There's also some new classes in BR that were never before seen in the series.  Granted Corrin can take on any class he wants, but you'll be better able to see how the Hoshidan classes operate as a whole team if you play BR.  There's even a non-armored lancer class that functions like Ephraim; the main lancer you get is effectively a slightly tougher and slightly less damaging version of him who doesn't get a prf weapon.  Speaking of Sacred Stones, BR also has dual weapons, which are essentially just reaver weapons.

I think what it might come down to from a gameplay persepctive is this:

Do you want a FE game that's so difficult that people compare it to Thracia 776 and some even claim that it's outright cheap?  Get Conquest.

Do you want a game where you can grind on skirmishes, use some never-before-seen classes, and that doesn't challenge you too much but also doesn't give you dumb, tedious maps?  Get Birthright.

Do you want to shell out an extra $20 in order to be able to use a bunch of characters from both paths, get access to exclusive Hoshidan-Nohrian supports, and probably grind until your fingers are nothing but bones?  Get Revelation.

Conquest is only really cheap and unfair on Lunatic. Hard mode will give you a serious challenge but nothing that feels unfair. That said, Lunatic is still a lot more fair than awakening lunatic. Lunatic conquest doesn't have massive stat bloat making the game a chore like FE 6 or Awakening. Instead it makes use of skills and debuffs (fear ninjas) as well as good map designs to give you a real challenge. 

The game has a lot of replay value base on what characters and classes you decide to use. The child units add even more variety.

Edited by wissenschaft

27 minutes ago, wissenschaft said:

Conquest is only really cheap and unfair on Lunatic.

It was not an expression of my own beliefs, btw.  I was just expressing an opinion I've heard a few people voice as an example of how hard CQ is; that it's hard enough to make some people think it's unfair.

I actually have yet to really play through Conquest on Hard.  In fact, I have yet to play through Conquest a second time.  Or any other path, but I at least get to chapter 20+ in Revelation, while in CQ I only get to, like, chapter 10 or whatever.  Point is that I don't have much of an opinion on its difficulty.

Regardless, I think no matter which path you choose with this game, you'll still get plenty of playtime.  Enough to justify the purchase.  I think at this point you should know enough about the game to decide for yourself.

2 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

It was not an expression of my own beliefs, btw.  I was just expressing an opinion I've heard a few people voice as an example of how hard CQ is; that it's hard enough to make some people think it's unfair.

I actually have yet to really play through Conquest on Hard.  In fact, I have yet to play through Conquest a second time.  Or any other path, but I at least get to chapter 20+ in Revelation, while in CQ I only get to, like, chapter 10 or whatever.  Point is that I don't have much of an opinion on its difficulty.

Regardless, I think no matter which path you choose with this game, you'll still get plenty of playtime.  Enough to justify the purchase.  I think at this point you should know enough about the game to decide for yourself.

I do.

wont purchase the game for a while though, considering I just bought Warriors. Gives me plenty of time to think.

All this hate for Revelation is unfortunate. I still think Conquest is the best, but I prefer Revelation to Birthright. I'd definitely recommend it if you enjoy the other two routes.

Also, not sure where you're reading people calling Fates the worst FE ever unless you saw one or two random posts and think everyone thinks that based on that.

It's also worth mentioning the characters and their supports make up a large chunk of the game - I spent 110 hrs in one save file and unlocked maybe 50% of the supports. There's such a huge cast that although you'll likely dislike many characters, you'll probably love quite a few, and the game has more to offer in terms of characterization than most other FE games. 

I'll summarize what each game is.

Birthright - Awakening with some drastic balance changes.  Great as an intro to Fates' new inventory system.
Conquest - Meant to be a challenge, and there's no shame in attempting it on Normal Casual.
Revelation - Sandbox mode.  Most maps should be doable in 20 turns, unless you're turtling hard/attempting That One Gimmick.

I don't know what your comfort level is.

My personal preference is conquest, my first play through of Fates was CQ hard and it was really difficult, it was frustrating but it never felt like it was being unfair (unlike awakening Lunatic) sure the story is a garbage fire but most of the characters are still pretty good if you just ignore the plot. I dislike Birthright because it felt like a balanced awakening without its charm,  though that might just be because of my complete indifference to any member of the cast not called scarlet or Oboro. Rev I liked a bit more because I could use the whole cast and i would have recommended it if Fates had an apeothesis map but it doesn't so I can't say its worth especially because the actual maps from that mode just feel like its making me waste my time moving units across the map

I'd recommend Birthright if you're not feeling confident (or if you want to build up supports and grind easily). If you want a challenge, perhaps get Conquest instead. If you enjoy playing through BR and CQ, consider giving Revelations a go. The gameplay in all of them is brilliant, despite the story being appalling. All three paths have quality soundtracks too (except for maybe late-game Revelation), so there's quite a bit to enjoy.

Also, not sure who's saying that Fates is the worst FE game ever made, but that's not the case.

^ Please post your shitting on FE somewhere else. We're getting tired of this.

If it's your only target to express your disappointment by giving oversubjective, insulting and non reasoned statements, then you're wrong here!

People joined this forum to get to know more about this series, and people like you don't do anything else than taking off people's interest and fun which isn't cool at all.

"weeb garbage", eh? *snicker*
I wonder when people will think calling someone that is offensive to Japanese people...

Anyhow, I dislike Fates, but that's because I am one of the I assume few people that play Fire Emblem games for their stories first and the gameplay second. (Not saying you can't like Fates' story, just saying that I don't)
If you're like me and play for story, Birthright is your best bet, I think. It's a fairly standard story that doesn't try to break any new grounds, which is a good thing in this context.
Gameplay, I'd say, go Conquest, definitely. Even though I have my fair share of gripes with Conquest's game design (the difficulty feeling cheap on occasion being one of them), I'd still rate it the best out of the three.
Revelation I can only recommend if you're a hardcore completionist and want to have every unit in the game (which SPOILER ALERT still isn't possible, despite the path being advertised that way), because otherwise it's a huge snorefest.

9 hours ago, Hopeofdespair said:

The game is worth playing at the very least. It’s gameplay is great and some of the characters are pretty decent.

The story is PRETTY BAD tho.

Ehh, if gameplay is good, I don't mind a shit story 

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

"weeb garbage", eh? *snicker*
I wonder when people will think calling someone that is offensive to Japanese people...

Anyhow, I dislike Fates, but that's because I am one of the I assume few people that play Fire Emblem games for their stories first and the gameplay second. (Not saying you can't like Fates' story, just saying that I don't)
If you're like me and play for story, Birthright is your best bet, I think. It's a fairly standard story that doesn't try to break any new grounds, which is a good thing in this context.
Gameplay, I'd say, go Conquest, definitely. Even though I have my fair share of gripes with Conquest's game design (the difficulty feeling cheap on occasion being one of them), I'd still rate it the best out of the three.
Revelation I can only recommend if you're a hardcore completionist and want to have every unit in the game (which SPOILER ALERT still isn't possible, despite the path being advertised that way), because otherwise it's a huge snorefest.

I don't feel like becoming Gerard the completionist, so no revelation.

im still torn between Birthright and Conquest though, guess it just comes down between do I want an easier time or better gameplay.

5 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I don't feel like becoming Gerard the completionist, so no revelation.

What, you don't wanna become "ProJirard the Finishist"?

But really, if you wanna do online stuff, Revelations is basically a requirement just cause of all the stuff it offers you for castle setups. Frankly it should have been a bonus if you got the digital version of the path you didn't pick instead of another separate path imo. If you're more used to the more modern way that FE does stuff, you're likely to have an easier time in BR while if you're a fan of the older games, Conquest is the way to go.

3 minutes ago, Ren_Ambrose said:

What, you don't wanna become "ProJirard the Finishist"?

But really, if you wanna do online stuff, Revelations is basically a requirement just cause of all the stuff it offers you for castle setups. Frankly it should have been a bonus if you got the digital version of the path you didn't pick instead of another separate path imo. If you're more used to the more modern way that FE does stuff, you're likely to have an easier time in BR while if you're a fan of the older games, Conquest is the way to go.

Hmm, sounds like BR the way to go for me.

Most of the people here don't consider Fates to be the worst game in the series, but the general consensus is that it instead has the worst story in the series.

I prefer Conquest, both in terms of gameplay and music. Challenging and fair. Normal is tough but very doable, I reset about 5 times and passed most of the other maps by the skin of my teeth, on a blind run (I'm not a veteran of FE,  so you shouldn't have any more trouble than I did. Maybe start with hard mode?). The map design is fantastic, the gimmicks are really fun (and not annoying!) and the game forces you to take risks in order to survive.

Birthright is a better Awakening in terms of gameplay, but the rest of it is rather boring all-around. Not very memorable to me.

Revelation is terrible, tedious gameplay and what I consider the worst Fates plot. But, if you like doing whatever you want in FE, go for it. Lots of options to keep you entertained.

1 minute ago, Slyfox said:

Most of the people here don't consider Fates to be the worst game in the series, but the general consensus is that it instead has the worst story in the series.

I prefer Conquest, both in terms of gameplay and music. Challenging and fair. Normal is tough but very doable, I reset about 5 times and passed most of the other maps by the skin of my teeth, on a blind run (I'm not a veteran of FE,  so you shouldn't have any more trouble than I did. Maybe start with hard mode?). The map design is fantastic, the gimmicks are really fun (and not annoying!) and the game forces you to take risks in order to survive.

Birthright is a better Awakening in terms of gameplay, but the rest of it is rather boring all-around. Not very memorable to me.

Revelation is terrible, tedious gameplay and what I consider the worst Fates plot. But, if you like doing whatever you want in FE, go for it. Lots of options to keep you entertained.

Wait wait wait, better MUSIC? Now you have my attention. Please explain.

8 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Wait wait wait, better MUSIC? Now you have my attention. Please explain.

Honestly, it's just a matter of personal taste and I really like the music in all of Fates.

Birthright music is a more of a traditional Japanese style, so it's a lot more ambient (relaxed?) in nature.

Conquest has a lot of songs that are more intense, and memorable melodies.

Edited by Slyfox

1 minute ago, Slyfox said:

Honestly, it's just a matter of personal taste and I really like the music in all of Fates.

Birthright music is a more of a traditional Japanese style, so it's a lot more ambient in nature.

Conquest has a lot of songs that are more intense, and memorable melodies.

I will give Conquest that, yeah it does have much better music. Just comparing Dusk Falls to Far Dawn leaves me with no question of which one I prefer. While Birthright does have some good tracks, I just prefer the OST in Conquest more overall.

3 minutes ago, Ren_Ambrose said:

I will give Conquest that, yeah it does have much better music. Just comparing Dusk Falls to Far Dawn leaves me with no question of which one I prefer. While Birthright does have some good tracks, I just prefer the OST in Conquest more overall.

I do prefer more intense songs, as shown by my love of mechanical rhythm