Is this game worth getting?

DisobeyedCargo

1 hour ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I do prefer more intense songs, as shown by my love of mechanical rhythm 

Ah, Xenoblade Chronicles is fantastic! I own the soundtrack!

Favorite track is Engage the Enemy and Tragic Decision (WHY DID THEY SHORTEN THE TRACK IN THE OFFICIAL SOUNDTRACK?!?!? AAAARGH!!!). Also Gaur Plains. And so many others! Having a hard time deciding!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you probably already know this, but the music won't mean much if you can't get far in CQ.  That being said, Dusk Falls is pretty damn good.

The best way I could think to describe CQ's difficulty is that its Normal Classic is even more difficult than Awakening's Hard Classic (I won't even compare it to Awakening's Lunatic because that's just pure BS), that it's much more difficult than the GBA games, and there are difficult moments spread all throughout the game instead of concentrated in the beginning like a lot of FE's.  It has varied objectives and varied maps; some maps you'll need to defend an area from incoming enemies, other times you'll need to rush your units to an objective before either you get overwhelmed or the turn limit is up.

BR is more straightforward in its map designs and objects, and its difficulty levels are more in line with Awakening, except without that BS difficulty spike Awakening had with Lunatic.  There are still some difficult moments; people frequently refer to Chapter 23, where you basically have to deal with a certain enemy constantly using blasts that sweep across various alleys, damaging all units caught in those areas, and I think it can still be legitimately challenging if you abstain from grinding or using royal weapons, or you impose other challenges on yourself.  I think if CQ scares you, BR shouldn't really bore you.

I think if you can get invested in the characters, you can get invested in the game as well regardless of the story.  I don't really know how to describe the casts...

I guess CQ has a bit more wild of a cast where some of them are crooks and others are underhanded schemers with their own motives, though it has its fair share of quirky heroes and not-so-dark characters, such as a guy who pretty much is a generic American super hero with bad luck or a wolf guy who just really loves trash and is basically a tsundere who wants to make friends, but not quite as irritating...  Oh, and the eldest royal is a very noble knight who battles with his own moral conflict with his father.

Meanwhile, BR's cast is more disciplined (barring Hinoka's retainers, who just can never really do their jobs right) and generally polite, though there's still some "grey area" characters like a racist tailor who is constantly battling a crippling trauma that causes others to be terrified of her at times, a vengeful ninja who pushes his own brother away due to his fixation with revenge, or a certain royal who is cautious to the point of almost shutting your character off completely because you were raised by the enemy nation (though he warms up to you).

51 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I know you probably already know this, but the music won't mean much if you can't get far in CQ.  That being said, Dusk Falls is pretty damn good.

The best way I could think to describe CQ's difficulty is that its Normal Classic is even more difficult than Awakening's Hard Classic (I won't even compare it to Awakening's Lunatic because that's just pure BS), that it's much more difficult than the GBA games, and there are difficult moments spread all throughout the game instead of concentrated in the beginning like a lot of FE's.  It has varied objectives and varied maps; some maps you'll need to defend an area from incoming enemies, other times you'll need to rush your units to an objective before either you get overwhelmed or the turn limit is up.

BR is more straightforward in its map designs and objects, and its difficulty levels are more in line with Awakening, except without that BS difficulty spike Awakening had with Lunatic.  There are still some difficult moments; people frequently refer to Chapter 23, where you basically have to deal with a certain enemy constantly using blasts that sweep across various alleys, damaging all units caught in those areas, and I think it can still be legitimately challenging if you abstain from grinding or using royal weapons, or you impose other challenges on yourself.  I think if CQ scares you, BR shouldn't really bore you.

I think if you can get invested in the characters, you can get invested in the game as well regardless of the story.  I don't really know how to describe the casts...

I guess CQ has a bit more wild of a cast where some of them are crooks and others are underhanded schemers with their own motives, though it has its fair share of quirky heroes and not-so-dark characters, such as a guy who pretty much is a generic American super hero with bad luck or a wolf guy who just really loves trash and is basically a tsundere who wants to make friends, but not quite as irritating...  Oh, and the eldest royal is a very noble knight who battles with his own moral conflict with his father.

Meanwhile, BR's cast is more disciplined (barring Hinoka's retainers, who just can never really do their jobs right) and generally polite, though there's still some "grey area" characters like a racist tailor who is constantly battling a crippling trauma that causes others to be terrified of her at times, a vengeful ninja who pushes his own brother away due to his fixation with revenge, or a certain royal who is cautious to the point of almost shutting your character off completely because you were raised by the enemy nation (though he warms up to you).

No need to not use names, I more or less know the more well known characters like Xander, Oboro, ryoma, Niles, Odin/owain etc...

hmmm, still a hard choice what with music now factoring it in. I do think that no matter what I can get invested in the characters, though I did enjoy the more goofy characters in awakening, but I also liked the more serious characters from Echoes, AHHHHHH SUCH A HARD CHOICE!!

1 minute ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

No need to not use names, I more or less know the more well known characters like Xander, Oboro, ryoma, Niles, Odin/owain etc...

hmmm, still a hard choice what with music now factoring it in. I do think that no matter what I can get invested in the characters, though I did enjoy the more goofy characters in awakening, but I also liked the more serious characters from Echoes, AHHHHHH SUCH A HARD CHOICE!!

Well, do remember that whatever path you DO end up choosing you can get the other for half off digitally.

2 minutes ago, Ren_Ambrose said:

Well, do remember that whatever path you DO end up choosing you can get the other for half off digitally.

I do remember that, I'd just rather not be dissapointed with my first choice, cause I'm afraid it'll leave a bad rate in my mouth regarding Fates.

48 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I do remember that, I'd just rather not be dissapointed with my first choice, cause I'm afraid it'll leave a bad rate in my mouth regarding Fates.

I had a great time just going by order of difficulty, which was Birthright, then Conquest, then Revelations. 

Just now, Ren_Ambrose said:

I had a great time just going by order of difficulty, which was Birthright, then Conquest, then Revelations. 

Not to mention, the story makes a bit more sense if you go in that order. If you start with Conquest, you will learn very little if you play Birthright afterwards. However, if you start with Birthright and then move on to Conquest, you will still learn new things.

16 minutes ago, Slyfox said:

Not to mention, the story makes a bit more sense if you go in that order. If you start with Conquest, you will learn very little if you play Birthright afterwards. However, if you start with Birthright and then move on to Conquest, you will still learn new things.

Ahhh okay, that's something to keep in mind.

Just now, DisobeyedCargo said:

Ahhh okay, that's something to keep in mind.

Basically, I think you should only get Conquest if you plan on getting just one route.

But go Birthright > Conquest > Revelation, in that order, if you plan on getting multiple routes.

But in the end, these are only our opinions, and it's your decision to make!

3 minutes ago, Slyfox said:

Basically, I think you should only get Conquest if you plan on getting just one route.

But go Birthright > Conquest > Revelation, in that order, if you plan on getting multiple routes.

But in the end, these are only our opinions, and it's your decision to make!

Think I'm gonna go for Birthright! 

The better music can wait.

The gameplay is really good, especially in conquest. Theres just so many class options, I found myself doing multiple playthroughs to have each character be different classes. The music is phenomenal as well, road taken is defintley one of my favorite rpg songs atm.

However the story is pretty lukewarm and a bit disappointing. If you're going to get it do it for gameplay alone.

I am only a casual user, and other than playing a few chapters of the Fire Emblem titles for the GBA, I was never a fan of the franchise. Earlier this year, I decided to get a handheld console and I read and watched reviews about the 'best games' for the New 3DS and the PlayStation Vita. At the end, I got a New 3DS exclusively because of what I watched and read about 'Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest.'

Having the Special Edition, I started with 'Birthright', simply because everyone said that it was beginner-friendly and what not. But after a couple of chapters, the characters and the maps bored me, and I decided to try 'Conquest'; I found my place, specially Hard Classic.
Everything about 'Conquest' is better than 'Birthright.' I do not even see the purpose of owning the latter.

I cannot tell you how 'Conquest' compares to other titles in the series, but I can tell you that it is a very entertaining and challenging experience. Give it a try.

For Gameplay Conquest. Hard is very challenging and yet doesn't seem unfair. The gameplay definitely makes up for the story.

On Birthright I'm currently playing it on Lunatic and... I'm finding it extremely easy. Not being an elitist here, but there might be something wrong when reaching chapter 21 out of 26-27 and over half your cast barely taking damage from most enemies. I did a few Paralogues only around chapter 20 and Invasion 2, so I wasn't grinding and this problem was happening all throughout. In CQ this didn't really have any influence in easing the game. 

Haven't played Revelations yet.

I think Birthright may be more "experiment-friendly" regarding reclassing even on harder difficulties where that might not be the case in CQ in harder difficulties. 

On 11/2/2017 at 8:18 PM, Ertrick36 said:

I actually found CQ Normal easier than Awakening Hard Classic. Awakening Hard is significantly easier than CQ hard though, in my experience. 

2 hours ago, Mandokarla said:

I actually found CQ Normal easier than Awakening Hard Classic. Awakening Hard is significantly easier than CQ hard though, in my experience. 

Maybe, but unless you've got grinding DLC, CQ has no safety ropes to fall back on if things get too tough barring lowering the difficulty (but really, that shouldn't be counted because Casual is a tremendous drop in difficulty, and Phoenix is literally baby mode).  You can actually do skirmishes in Awakening, even if you might have to pay a crap ton of money to do so.

I still think that the opening Chapters of CQ on any difficulty are tougher than anything in Awakening Hard.  I mean, all of the difficulty in Awakening pretty much derives from the opening portion, and all you really need to do on Hard mode is make Frederick use a bronze sword or lance to weaken enemies for the first six-or-so chapters.  I at least had to put more thought into what I had to do with Conquest, even if there wasn't as much risk.  But I guess there seems to be quite a disparity in individual experiences.

I'll at least agree that Awakening Hard is a lot easier and CQ Hard.

If you can get past the localization,  Birthright and Conquest are great games. Revelations is very underwhelming and poorly done like the others said, but has the best "My Castle", because you get everything from both Birthright and Conquest.

Edited by Cracker