Favorite FE Lord?

Armagon

So given that this thread exists

I decided to ask the opposite and ask who your favorite Lord is. For me, it's Alm. While i will admit that he has his flaws of not having flaws, while also somewhat going against the themes of SoV, i can forgive him for being so damn likable. Kyle McCarley did an amazing job in bring Alm to life. And Alm's dorky comments like "hello Mr.Sun" helped me like him even more. Also, shield drop. And Alm gets bonus points for having Scendscale, which reminded me of Monado Buster and anything that reminds me of Xenoblade Chronicles can only be good things.

Our Boy, Roy is actually tied with Alm for the title of favorite Lord. While he is arguably the weakest Lord in terms of gameplay (at least until he promotes), it makes sense when you consider that Roy was never really much of a fighter anyway. I also like that he has an inferiority complex, which is honestly something i can relate to. I like his design more than Alm's, especially when you take Roy's new updated design that has been seen everywhere since Smash 4. Speaking of Smash, Roy is one of my mains along with Corrin and Shulk. Roy, or rather, Brave Roy is one of my main units in FE Heroes as well (Alm unfortunately kinda fell behind in the wake of better sword units like B!Roy, Black Knight, and Ayra).

It's a tie between Roy and Micaiah for me.

Roy for pretty much the exact reasons you stated.

Micaiah because her actions are not always treated as the be-all end-all of good by the narrative, she has to make choices she doesn't agree with in the name of protecting her country.  It's such a shame that Ike and later Yune has to steal the show...

Though I've learned a lot of his story through osmosis, I find that I really like Ike.  He has an actual coming-of-age story where he genuinely struggles to live up to Greil's legacy.

Hector's just a guy I could genuinely get along with, so he's also up there.

I see some criticisms leveled at her, but I do also like Lucina a lot.  It's not often we see a Marth-type lady who was forced to live in an apocalypse where both her parents are dead and she and her friends are forced to fight for their lives against undead armies and a big, scary dragon.

It might also be a bit unfair for me to really judge because there's still a lot of territory I have yet to explore.  I hardly know a thing about Sigurd, Seliph, or Leif, and I haven't seen all there is to the GBA lords.

This is also at least partly why I just went and listed three favorites instead of picking one.

My favourite lord? Ike; no contest. 

There are a lot of things I could say, and I am both not good with words and I am terrible at keeping stuff like this short, but I shall try:

The fact that he is a peasant, rather than a noble or prince, already gives him a unique perspective compared to every other FE lord. He has no grand heroic legacy placed upon him; even trying to succeed his father as mercenary leader and ultimate swordsman is a personal journey that is his choice, rather than a choice more or less thrust upon him as part of the overall plot. 

Throughout his journey, we see him struggle, first with being a member of his father's mercenary group, then with him having to lead said mercenary group, all the way to him having to lead an army. We see him struggle with leadership, and, while it's usually a small thing, we see him acknowledge his limits. He tells one soldier, "Commander Tanith's soldiers, are to follow Commander Tanith's orders", and he outright tells Zelgius that he's not comfortable leading an army. So it is clearly established that he can't do everything, and he sees where his limits are.

I like his personality: blunt and introverted, yet kind, compassionate, and humble. Plus, he's a bit of a moral paragon character. Apart from his vendetta with the Black Knight, everything he does is guided by his sense of doing good where good needs to be done, making him very heroic, yet also reckless, and his recklessness is acknowledged several times as one of his main flaws. Once it's brought up, even he agrees about his faults, and smartens up. That's character development. Not only that, but, without him realizing it, he quickly proves to be very charismatic, and it is clear that he inspires people, and becomes a catalyst for character development in others; especially Elincia and Soren, without everything in the story needing to be about him.

Come Radiant Dawn, he doesn't really need further development since he's all grown up, and so much character development in Path of Radiance. Yet, scenes such as the one where he forgives the Black Knight and considers him his final teacher is a small, yet really nice moment of character development for him. In Path of Radiance, he went after the Black Knight because the Black Knight killed his father; it was all about vengeance. By the time Black Knight is fought and defeated once and for all in Radiant Dawn, vengeance is no longer on his mind at all.

Also, he is almost certainly the best lord in all of FE as a unit in both games, to the point where one of the easiest ways to complete Path of Radiance is to let Ike deal with almost everything.

Story-wise, Leif. He has arguably the most grueling and brutal campaign out of everyone in the series. He makes mistakes that constantly build towards his character, he gets incredibly angry, he's vengeful, and half of his story can be summed up as him fixing his mistakes, with the other half being him realizing his father's dream of a unified Thracia by wanting to rip one man limb from limb(For all the talk of original Gaiden Alm of being a savage, there isn't another lord in the franchise whose entire goal is explicitly murdering a single human man like Leif. He hates Raydrik with all of his heart). He feels more human, especially of the under-18 lords(Leif in T776 ties Roy for being the youngest lord in the franchise at 15), who generally lack major flaws that they learn to overcome over the course of their games. It also makes the payoff of Leif being uber-broken in FE4 feel pretty well-earned.

Gameplay-wise, Hector. He's the only lord in the whole franchise who uses axes besides Ike, and he's the only sort-of armor lord. A lot of lords feel like Marth(Roy, Celica, Eliwood, Leif). A lot of lords feel like Sigurd(Post-promotion Eliwood, Eirika Ephraim, Lucina and Chrom). Everyone else feels like something else(Lyn being a glorified Myrmidon, Alm and Ike feeling like Mercenaries/Heroes, Micaiah feeling like a Dark Mage/Shaman, Robin and Corrin feeling like nothing at all because they can be basically anything). Nothing feels quite like Hector. And not for bad reasons, as Hector's a very, very good unit. He's like a mix between Mercenary/Hero and Knight/General, with a dose of Fighter tossed in. 

Edited by Slumber

Honestly Hector is my favorite, while he may act brash and care free he is rather smart and cares deeply for his family and friends.  I really like his relationships with his brother and Lilina.  Plus his willingness to except his fate and how he died really made me like his character a lot and makes him in my top ten FE characters.

Character: As much as Sacred Stones tries its hardest to make Ephraim look cool; I ate it up, I feel for it.

Game-play: Corrin, even without re-classing; I think their base class has very good utility. Can be both a good offensive unit and a good support unit.

Mine:

Is in two games

Stands out from the others in some way

Holds unique weapons throughout his time.

Spoiler

It's Leaf. Obviously.

He is the best in terms of character growth, his emotional range is something I wish Alm had been in SoV and of course he is in Thracia 776. Slumber's elaborated well enough for me to not go into a long spiel.I could even bring up his being a Master Knight in Genealogy and say he's got the most power out of the lords. But I can bet that wouldn't be correct. He does have the most versitility, and is the closest we'll likely see to a lord with both magic and physical attacks.

The most powerful in game is likely Corrin to be honest. He has a lot of options with reclassing, but the default classes are still very powerful and of course Omega Yato is ridiculous.

I'm going to have to go with Micaiah.

She actually feels like an underdog both as a unit and with the limited resources that she's given to work with. Generally speaking, I cheer for the underdog characters in a story. I enjoyed her commitment to protecting ordinary citizens of Daein and how it can turn her into a hero from zero and then later from a hero to zero. Also while many of Micaiah's actions have negative consequences, they don't feel like tacked on stupidity and can be rationalized. 

probably chrom, but I like alm a lot too

although alm i like more on a surface level (i find him really endearing and funny and i like his design and voice a lot) whereas I like chrom a lot more based on his actual writing 

i like those things about chrom too but not to the same extent as alm, so either one really

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

My favourite lord? Ike; no contest. 

There are a lot of things I could say, and I am both not good with words and I am terrible at keeping stuff like this short, but I shall try:

The fact that he is a peasant, rather than a noble or prince, already gives him a unique perspective compared to every other FE lord. He has no grand heroic legacy placed upon him; even trying to succeed his father as mercenary leader and ultimate swordsman is a personal journey that is his choice, rather than a choice more or less thrust upon him as part of the overall plot. 

Throughout his journey, we see him struggle, first with being a member of his father's mercenary group, then with him having to lead said mercenary group, all the way to him having to lead an army. We see him struggle with leadership, and, while it's usually a small thing, we see him acknowledge his limits. He tells one soldier, "Commander Tanith's soldiers, are to follow Commander Tanith's orders", and he outright tells Zelgius that he's not comfortable leading an army. So it is clearly established that he can't do everything, and he sees where his limits are.

I like his personality: blunt and introverted, yet kind, compassionate, and humble. Plus, he's a bit of a moral paragon character. Apart from his vendetta with the Black Knight, everything he does is guided by his sense of doing good where good needs to be done, making him very heroic, yet also reckless, and his recklessness is acknowledged several times as one of his main flaws. Once it's brought up, even he agrees about his faults, and smartens up. That's character development. Not only that, but, without him realizing it, he quickly proves to be very charismatic, and it is clear that he inspires people, and becomes a catalyst for character development in others; especially Elincia and Soren, without everything in the story needing to be about him.

Come Radiant Dawn, he doesn't really need further development since he's all grown up, and so much character development in Path of Radiance. Yet, scenes such as the one where he forgives the Black Knight and considers him his final teacher is a small, yet really nice moment of character development for him. In Path of Radiance, he went after the Black Knight because the Black Knight killed his father; it was all about vengeance. By the time Black Knight is fought and defeated once and for all in Radiant Dawn, vengeance is no longer on his mind at all.

Also, he is almost certainly the best lord in all of FE as a unit in both games, to the point where one of the easiest ways to complete Path of Radiance is to let Ike deal with almost everything.

Sums up my answer! <3 Ike is the best lord by far imo. Though I do think a little more development for him in RD wouldn't have hurt. I also have some nostalgia for Ike because he was my first FE lord. PoR was the first game I played in the series. My deceased brother liked him too, and he's kind of the reason I got into Ike at all. And Ike led me to play FE.

Ephraim is no. 2 for me for just being plain cool and badass. Cool personality, cool fighting style, cool design, he's 100% cool! Also, his crit animation in the Lord class, omg.

Everything I hear about Leif sounds interesting. However, since I haven't played the Jugdral games, I can't rightly bring him up in a thread like this. So, instead, I'll just say that out of the games I've played, Lucina is my favorite. A strong person, a great leader, and little else, which leads to interesting interactions with the rest of the cast, Chrom in particular. The way they deal with her self-sacrifice is very interesting as well. 

Leaf

His interactions with Dorias and August are what really sell me on him. We get lots of moments of impulsive lords doing hot-headed things, but they rarely are made to suffer for it and thus grow as a character. I think his Genealogy incarnation milks the drama too much compared to in Thracia 776. 

If I had to pick a runner up it would be Eliwood or Marth. The former because I find him to have a pretty touching arc even if a lot of people think that the relationship with Nino is overwrought. The latter because  because I find Mystery and New Mystery's stories to be the most re-readable in FE and personally I find him to really do what he does for the country first.. 

Marth is just utterly fantastic. He's the one who got me into FE, he's the one I main in Smash, and he is just utterly gorgeous. Yes, he has his weak points, his characterisation in the original game, and then New Mystery, but SD is where he truly shines. I love how kind he is, I loved watching him go from a naive, sheltered Prince to a revenge-driven fighter to a kind hearted, charismatic Prince who will do anything to protect all he holds dear and no longer sees the world in black and white. His portrayal in Warriors is just fantastic, it shows how wise he is despite his young age. Plus he has one of the most natural romantic relationship I've ever seen. Marth is truly a fantastic character, and it's a damn shame that a majority of others don't see that.

Roy is the very close runner up for being a rare brains over brawn type. He's smart, he idolises his father and it's just the cutest damn thing. He's just a child, but he shoulders so much and I have a weakness for characters like that - if they were real, I'd just want to hug and protect them and hide them away from the world. He also fascinates me because of the pure potential that is Manakete!Roy. Also, his relationship with Lilina is adorable.

Eliwood is in third because god damnit this boy suffers so much and I love it. But he fights through it all, and he comes out of it stronger. He's also not afraid to show his emotions (this is a real man, everybody) and his bromance with Hector and romance with Ninian is everything!

Alm and Celica are joint fourth, followed by Robin if he counts.

4 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Sums up my answer! <3 Ike is the best lord by far imo. Though I do think a little more development for him in RD wouldn't have hurt. I also have some nostalgia for Ike because he was my first FE lord. PoR was the first game I played in the series. My deceased brother liked him too, and he's kind of the reason I got into Ike at all. And Ike led me to play FE.

Cool. Path of Radiance was the first FE game I played as well apart from Smash Bros. Melee

Favorite lord? Hmmm..... I've soaked in enough criticism (some of which is always justified) of all the lords that I can't actually say who I love of them.

Hector I guess, since I am one of those people who feels he did mature a bit in FE7. Though thinking retrospectively, he might not have matured much as I have romanticized. He is bloodthirsty as his Eliwood Mode opening where he just chops down a guy suggests, and his rage and love of battle endure into Jaffar's recruitment. I guess its his Uther relationship, even more than his Eliwood one (which in supports gets hijacked by FE6 references), which makes me like him. He's a strong brute, but with a big heart. If Eirika was Uther's sister instead and Oswin said the whole "I couldn't tell you Uther was deathly ill/dead", then it'd come off as sexist to many I think. But being it that Hector is male, it isn't sexist, and Hector isn't "soft" in his appearance like Marth or Roy either, he is muscular and bulky. Hector has a brain too, he has a general knowledge of how Lycia works politically, he isn't totally stupid brawny and overly emotional (not that Gonzales and Bartre are necessarily bad). 

Chrom is manly like Hector, and he is very emotional too, but he's never put into a comparable situation as the Uther terminal illness one. What makes the Uther situation unique is that it doesn't involve either sparing someone at the risk of letting evil return vs. sacrificing them to stop evil from forever returning (Robin). Nor does it involve offering an item necessary for the greater good (not that Chrom knows he needs it at the time) to spare someone vs. keeping the greater good, but letting someone you love die (Emmeryn). Uther dies not from evil, not in a hostage/sacrifice situation, he dies without Hector present and without him knowing, without any connection to evil, his death is totally natural and normal. I guess its Chrom gets bad situations and is written poorly, while Hector's one situation is written better. Had Oswin said "Lord Hector, your brother is dying, would you like to return home?" and Hector was like "YES I MUST! I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE QUEST TO DEFEAT NERGAL AND SAVE ELIBE FROM DRAGONS!", maybe I wouldn't like him as much.

It helps that for whatever their faults, Hector gets a generally good batch of Supports. Eliwood starts really good, if ruined after the C because of prophetic FE6 talk detracting from the actual showing of their young current friendship. The Florina is awful, the C is extended into the B, and the A is largely what the B should be (this isn't the only support to be like this, I recall SorenxStefan and SothexTormod in PoR having the same issue). After the A, I don't think I can see Hector and Florina getting married. Farina has a better, decent support with Hector, and I can see marriage a little better at the end (I don't need a proposal though, just some evidence the relationship is progressing to a point where I can fill in the blanks). The Oswin is dull I shall admit, but not the worse. I prefer Farina over Lyn for Hector, but the support is pretty good even so. Matthew and Serra have supports that are just as excellent by any game's standards as the Lyn.

Honestly, I don't truly hate any lord, not even Corrin owing to the fact that I always skipped the plot in Fates. I find attributes about each of them commendable, and traits not to like as well. I cherry pick each lord for the good stuff, and hope IS could in the future blend the noble aspects into a single main character in a way that isn't chimaerical.

Ike for his Path of Radiance appearance, personality, and character arc. 

Sigurd is a close second for his romanticism. He's very much akin to Rhaegar Targaryen from a Song of Ice and Fire, right down to his ultimate failing. There's something about his story arc that just feels darker, more realistic, and more futile than other games in the series, despite the strength and idealism of the character.

Ike, without a doubt the best written character in Fe as a whole.

After Ike it's Eliwood, yes I know. The most unpopular opinion ever but I find him to be highly underrated. He's an amazing character if you ignore his horrible gameplay status.

Probably Marth for the reasons @Lau stated.

Sigurd would be a close second. The only reason he is not my favourite is because most of the reason I like him is because of the manga which is only side material and not canon.

Alm and Celica are also up there too.

Ike, no amount of criticism will change that. He is the most interesting and best written lord imo, which includes him in RD as imo that version of him shouldn't be seen as separate from his PoR self. Many people say he is too praised, strong, whatever in RD, but that is thanks to all he goes through and learns in PoR. 

Lyn is second, I love her story even if it's a short one. In it, she is a tragic but strong character and I find the whole thing about her dual heritage interesting and well done. 

After that I would rank them: Ike, Lyn, Micaiah, Leif, Ephraim, Celica, Roy, Hector, Seliph, Marth, Lucina, Sigurd, Alm, Eliwood, Eirika, Chrom, Corrin