Super Mario Odyssey is here!

Anacybele

This game finally released yesterday! I bought it asap since it looks so amazing.

And so far, I'm having a lot of fun with it! Hoping Luigi is playable, as he's my favorite vg character. If not already, then as DLC.  He hasn't been absent in a mainstream Mario game since Sunshine decades ago, so there's really no reason not to have him at some point. And all those outfits Mario gets, I'd love to put them on his brother too. XD

For now though, I just Amiibo'd myself the Luigi costume. Way to go stealing your brother's look, Mario. :P

Who else is playing and enjoying this? :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, kingddd said:

I finished the main campaign already.  But definitely nowhere near 100% completion.

Already? Please tell me there's at least $60 worth of content in there...

24 minutes ago, Zera said:

The campaigns in the SMG games weren't real big either. They were only like 30% of the total content.

53 minutes ago, Zera said:

my completion rate is only 15%.  Nowhere near 100%.

This has the biggest post game in a 3D Mario yet.  I only have about 185 moons and there are over 900 or more to collect.

Edited by kingddd

I wish i had the game right now. And i would have it too but money's tight for me right now and if i get Odyssey now, there's a good chance i won't be able to get Xenoblade Chronicles 2 later, and that game is higher on my priority list. But i look forward to the day i get Odyssey (hopefully Christmas). 

There is one thing i'm going to have to get used to though: the fact that both A and B are jump.

1 hour ago, Zera said:

Every 3D Mario game i've played has always had it's content worth the money and Odyssey is no exception haha, i say that like i have the game.

From what i have seen Odyssey has the most post-game content out of any 3D Mario game by a long shot.

I've just been taking my time and getting all the moons I can for a kingdom before moving onto the next.

I only beat Lake Kingdom just now (starting Wood Kingdom when I get back to this). So far, Sand Kingdom is definitely my favorite.

Edited by Peppy

Biggest improvement in level design over past 3D Marios is the decision to not make every level have the same amount of Moons. The level can be as large and as long as the developers wanted it to be. No more filler objectives like how Mario 64 keeps asking you to climb to top of the level multiple times. And no more having to build a second, similar level like in Galaxy because 6 stars wasn't enough for all your ideas. Or building a second, similar Game because 120 stars wasn't enough for all your ideas.

My only concrete complaint is with the face buttons. Two of the four face buttons are dedicated to jump, while the other two are dedicated to throwing cappy. There isn't really a fourth integral action in the game, but they should have dedicated one of the buttons to Dive/Roll, which I'm using all the time. 

17 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Biggest improvement in level design over past 3D Marios is the decision to not make every level have the same amount of Moons. The level can be as large and as long as the developers wanted it to be. No more filler objectives like how Mario 64 keeps asking you to climb to top of the level multiple times. And no more having to build a second, similar level like in Galaxy because 6 stars wasn't enough for all your ideas. Or building a second, similar Game because 120 stars wasn't enough for all your ideas.

My only concrete complaint is with the face buttons. Two of the four face buttons are dedicated to jump, while the other two are dedicated to throwing cappy. There isn't really a fourth integral action in the game, but they should have dedicated one of the buttons to Dive/Roll, which I'm using all the time. 

yeah the biggest complaint is pretty much majority of the cool cappy moves are done by motion controls.  Which unfortunately on the face buttons are only throw cappy.  

Luckily most of them aren't necessary to beat the game.  But I do think maybe one or two moons will require using the motion for some of the puzzles.

I more or less agree with the sentiment that some other button should have been used to do some of the Cappy maneuvers without motion controls. But the controls for Mario himself are so tight and well executed, and the worlds ooze with charm. I like the idea that seeing the end of the game is easy, but finishing every moon is going to be hard as hell. It really is a game out to please everyone (except speedrunners, RIP in pieces guys).

I haven't cleared the game so far although I did spoil some of the worlds by watching some of my favourite streamers. My two favourites so far though have been Woodland and Metro. Lake Lamode was quite beautiful and original as far as water worlds go too. This game manages to be both familiar and spins things on their heads all the time, I love it.

12 minutes ago, Samias said:

It really is a game out to please everyone (except speedrunners, RIP in pieces guys).

You kidding? I think we're the most pleased with the game so far. Runs at 60FPS, you can skip cutscenes, you don't get booted from the level on death or after every star, and you don't even have to clear all of the "missions" in a level. Odyssey Any% is amazing, and the true heroes will attempt the longer categories. In case you didn't know, Mario 64 and Sunshine are the first and second most ran games of all time

21 hours ago, kingddd said:

yeah the biggest complaint is pretty much majority of the cool cappy moves are done by motion controls.  Which unfortunately on the face buttons are only throw cappy.  

Luckily most of them aren't necessary to beat the game.  But I do think maybe one or two moons will require using the motion for some of the puzzles.

If there are any coins or moons that require motion controls, I haven't encountered them yet. Playing with the Gamecube controller, haha. Feels pretty good, but would feel way better if I could re-map ZL/ZR fuctions to L and R, since the GC's equivelant to the triggers is just the lone Z button, which is small and not comfy. Again, a problem that would be solved if Dive/Roll were a face button. I use them as often as I jump and throw cappy. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll release an update that lets you re-map controls.

27 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

If there are any coins or moons that require motion controls, I haven't encountered them yet. Playing with the Gamecube controller, haha. Feels pretty good, but would feel way better if I could re-map ZL/ZR fuctions to L and R, since the GC's equivelant to the triggers is just the lone Z button, which is small and not comfy. Again, a problem that would be solved if Dive/Roll were a face button. I use them as often as I jump and throw cappy. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll release an update that lets you re-map controls.

There are I'm starting some post game moons and I've encountered one that was mandatory.  But it was a braindead easy one.

Yeah I do agree the Dive should have been a separate button instead of a combination because it really screws up my extra jumps that I want to make.  I really hope enough feedback will be given to Nintendo update it because NSMB U has had a controller update once because of the feedbacks given by the fans.

4 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

You kidding? I think we're the most pleased with the game so far. Runs at 60FPS, you can skip cutscenes, you don't get booted from the level on death or after every star, and you don't even have to clear all of the "missions" in a level. Odyssey Any% is amazing, and the true heroes will attempt the longer categories. In case you didn't know, Mario 64 and Sunshine are the first and second most ran games of all time

Holy baloney, I just saw the WR speedrun of Sunshine, and I am floored. The skill ceiling is incredible! As always, I must wonder if Nintendo actually expected anyone to push the game that far.

I get the feeling that Odyssey is going to have a crazy high skill ceiling, too. Just playing the post-game Koopa races shows how insanely fast you can get around with a solid grasp on fundamentals(Speeding through whole levels in 30 seconds up to a minute). I can only imagine how it will be with somebody who has effectively mastered the controls and how Mario moves. 

Anyway. Post-game throws some interesting stuff at you.

I die on the inside every time I attempt Darker Side of the Moon.

7 hours ago, Zera said:

Holy baloney, I just saw the WR speedrun of Sunshine, and I am floored. The skill ceiling is incredible! As always, I must wonder if Nintendo actually expected anyone to push the game that far.

Sunshine speed running gives me life. It was my first speed game and I can really appreciate somebody being able to run at that level. But to talk about Odyssey some more, here's a neat clip from yesterday. A preview of Odyssey's unique movement possibilities.

14 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Sunshine speed running gives me life. It was my first speed game and I can really appreciate somebody being able to run at that level. But to talk about Odyssey some more, here's a neat clip from yesterday. A preview of Odyssey's unique movement possibilities.

HOLY MOLY!!!

Man I can't wait to see a full speedrun as it develops because this is insane.

13 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Actually, the speedrunning community loves the way the game plays, but they are struggling to find a category that has a fulfilling length and level of challenge. Obviously 100% is not a plausible category. Just the main game is pretty short and boss fight saturated. I think 502 has been floated around to unlock the ultimate challenge level.

5 minutes ago, Samias said:

Actually, the speedrunning community loves the way the game plays, but they are struggling to find a category that has a fulfilling length and level of challenge. Obviously 100% is not a plausible category. Just the main game is pretty short and boss fight saturated. I think 502 has been floated around to unlock the ultimate challenge level.

502 is probably pretty reasonable. But I never thought the length of a main game limited speedruns. Mario 64 is quick when you do just main story, too. Doesn't really deter speedrunners, though.

64 also has a lot of choice on how to get 70 stars and has freeform routing so you can focus on platforming stars and skip bosses as often as possible. It's short but intense. Sunshine is mechanically challenging and fairly execution heavy. Odyssey is a bit railroady for main story stars and has built in anti sequence skipping in areas and a lot of bosses. Which doesn't make it a bad game but potentially not a good speed game. I guess we'll see, as most people agree this is the best Mario has ever controlled.