Support grinding?

Synjid

So after reading the info on how the support conversations actually work...

Characters gain support points once per turn if adjacent to each other, and need 240 points to reach A support from 0 points...

Which means that if I want to see Bartre x Renault A supp, they have to spend 240 turns next to each other. Given that Renault joints at a point where there's something like 40 turns left before the end of the game in normal gameplay conditions, isnt that a bit excessive? In that case, the support system actually encourages the player to stall their victory and spend turns just...waiting?

Or is there something I missed in the support system? I'd like to hear other opinions on this!

2 minutes ago, Synjid said:

Characters gain support points once per turn if adjacent to each other, and need 240 points to reach A support from 0 points...

Which means that if I want to see Bartre x Renault A supp, they have to spend 240 turns next to each other. Given that Renault joints at a point where there's something like 40 turns left before the end of the game in normal gameplay conditions, isnt that a bit excessive? In that case, the support system actually encourages the player to stall their victory and spend turns just...waiting?

Or is there something I missed in the support system? I'd like to hear other opinions on this!

Yes thats exactly how it works. GBA supports are very flawed for this reason.

Points gained by turn are determined by the pair in question too, but most are still way too slow and clunky to do in any setting besides a casual playthrough.

Edited by Jedi

Sometimes, it completely depends on the game. I only played Awakening and Shadows of Valentia, so I had a bit of experience. In both, you have for example, in Shadows of Valentia Terrors reappear to battle again for grinding. Also, Awakening has side-quest recruiting battles, and, depending on the level of the enemy, they are used for grinding. As well as the ambush encounters, too, so most people I watched on YouTube or fellow FE players said that playing DLC maps and side quests helped with the whole support shtick. Hope this helped!  

1 hour ago, Synjid said:

You're correct. Luckily, supports don't really matter outside of the conversations themselves in GBA - the stat increases are pretty marginal most of the time and only really help when you have an A and B support or something. There's also a limit to how many supports you can have per character...it's a mess. I know it was a new system but I'm still not sure what they were thinking.

3 hours ago, Synjid said:

1 hour ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

You're correct. Luckily, supports don't really matter outside of the conversations themselves in GBA - the stat increases are pretty marginal most of the time and only really help when you have an A and B support or something. There's also a limit to how many supports you can have per character...it's a mess. I know it was a new system but I'm still not sure what they were thinking.

This makes me want to mention that it was even worse in FE6, where a huge majority of the supports were so slow to build (it's safe to assume that if the characters didn't know each other before the game began, they have a slow support).

2 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

This makes me want to mention that it was even worse in FE6, where a huge majority of the supports were so slow to build (it's safe to assume that if the characters didn't know each other before the game began, they have a slow support).

This reminds me of the fact that I'm in the middle of a playthrough of FE6 and I'm aiming for the Rutger, Clarine and Dieck triangle. Clarine's a B with Rutger and I've probably spent like 90 turns at least just with them next to each other while I was Arena Grinding Roy and Sue for more comfortable usability. This alone is a nightmare! >_>

Pretty much everything about FE7 supports, as bad as the mechanic is by modern FE standards, compares favorably to FE6:

No hard limits on how many support points you can build up in each chapter.

More pairs with faster support buildup.

Nils' readings halfway through the game, and the Support Conversations page in the Extras after you've completed the game, telling you who can support whom without needing to refer to a guide.

11 hours ago, Paper Jam said:

Pretty much everything about FE7 supports, as bad as the mechanic is by modern FE standards, compares favorably to FE6:

No hard limits on how many support points you can build up in each chapter.

More pairs with faster support buildup.

Nils' readings halfway through the game, and the Support Conversations page in the Extras after you've completed the game, telling you who can support whom without needing to refer to a guide.

Tbh I don't find the support system itself to be that bad, for the reasons you've just given ; its just the numbers attributed to most support pairs who make little to no sense gameplay-wise.

What I mean is, if the developers actually wanted players to actively use the system, they should have given Renault at least 5pts per turn on every pair. The way its implemented just makes the support system not really interesting, except maybe for the lords

Some of these flaws have been addressed in FE8, which gives you all the possible supports from the beginning and has faster support growths overall (most pairs get at least 2pts per turn)

Edited by Synjid