3x3 of the week! #19: Favorite Western Animation shows

Jedi

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like fun!

Here's mine for favorite video game protagonists. Admittedly, this one was a bit harder for me to come up with compared to the previous ones.

BIHV1qq.jpg

From left to right, top to bottom:

Chrom (Fire Emblem Awakening), Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles), Luigi (Super Mario)

Ragna the Bloodedge (BlazBlue), Tamamo no Mae (Fate/Extra), Link (The Legend of Zelda)

Sion Eltnam Altasia (Melty Blood), Professor Layton (Professor Layton), Kirby (Kirby)

I also did the previous ones just to catch up, which can be viewed below:

Spoiler

My Favorite Fire Emblem characters:

4Efoydo.jpg

Takumi (Fates), Oboro (Fates), Python (Echoes)

Chrom (Awakening), Forsyth (Echoes), Forde (Sacred Stones)

Joshua (Sacred Stones), Virion (Awakening), Inigo/Laslow (Awakening/Fates)

My Favorite Video Game Characters:

kLIwwfO.png

Professor Layton (Professor Layton), Gallade (Pokemon), Takumi (Fire Emblem Fates)

Jean Descole (Professor Layton), Ragna the Bloodedge (BlazBlue), Greninja (Pokemon)

Meta Knight (Kirby), Tamamo no Mae (Fate/Extra), N Harmonia (Pokemon Black/White/Black2/White2)

My Favorite Animated Characters:

5kvjt3K.jpg

Kiritsugu Emiya (Fate/Zero), Okabe Rintarou (Steins;Gate), Rem (Re:Zero)

Saber (Fate/Stay Night+Fate/Zero), Tomoya Okazaki (Clannad), Krista Lenz (Attack on Titan)

Haruka Nanase (Free!), Makise Kurisu (Steins;Gate), Cu Chulainn (Fate/Stay Night)

My Favorite Pokemon:

OLJiyBn.jpg

Gallade, Greninja, Aegislash

Lurantis, Shaymin Sky Forme, Swampert

Meloetta, Chandelure, Midday Lycanroc

I'm skipping the Digimon since I'm not familiar with Digimon enough to put 9 favorites.

Admittedly, for most of these 3x3s, I had to do repeats from the same series for several of them because I have a tough time thinking of favorites from an individual series.

mosaic2f39fe8384e240cb2cdd5ea4caa3db78cb

This was supposed to be hard?

Oh I guess I should post samples (spoilers probably for some games)

Project X Zone 2        Undertale            Advance Wars: Dual Strike

Pokemon Conquest       FE Echoes: SoV    PMD: Explorers of Sky 

Persona 3     Pokemon: ORAS         Persona 5

Edited by Breezy Kanzaki

nDTdUtv.jpg

Alright, let me be serious

RzjHqoP.jpg

Gonna put some samples here and that's the actual hard part.

oh boy, i've been waiting for this

qZGwk0.png

Featured tracks from all of these:

999 - Ar Tonelico II - Hotline Miami

Persona 3 - YU-NO - Murasaki

Space Channel 5 - Princess Maker 2 - Shin Megami Tensei IV

Comments on each game's soundtrack:

Spoiler

999 - the game has you repeat a lot of the sections in it, often leading to lots of dialogue skipping fun and hearing the music over and over again...but the music is actually amazing! tense, almost 16-bit, robotic, etc. these sounds were great during puzzle sections and also during cutscenes. hearing THAT song when discovering a dead body and morphogenic sorrow at the true ending... really one of the most fitting and cohesive soundtracks. highly recommended for both play and listening

ar tonelico ii - ar tonelico ii not only has an amazing cast of vocalist and voice actors, but the music absolutely pairs with the power of the singers! for a series based around singing, it lives up to its reputation to create music you won't hear in any other video game. that's not to say that the non-vocal tracks are bad or mediocre, they might not have the power of the singers but the light instrumentation lends itself well to the fantasy world that is shown to be peaceful on the surface, but a dystopian ruin when you scratch away at the layers. jakuri has the best songs btw

hotline miami - what better songs to mass murder people to? hotline miami takes music from several artists and puts the player into a meditative trance with every single restart they get and every single combo they land - the thought of killing russians with a bat becomes a lot less complicated. distorted, repetitive, and harsh tunes that make hotline miami what it is

persona 3 - I NEVER FELT LIKE - lotus juice is amazing, especially in persona 3. who knew jrpgs could be so HIP? a unique soundtrack direction (no boring orchestral bullshit with ominous chanting pls) that really makes me feel like a high schooler in japan fucking around. also, mass destruction is the best battle theme in the entire persona series

YU-NO - ryu umemoto is a genius. i felt transported to the 90s while playing YU-NO - the FM-TOWNS tunes along with the dithered pixels really got to me and i felt nostalgic for an era long past me. FM-TOWNS music has NEVER sounded better! ryu umemoto is wonderful at creating mysterious, perky, foreboding, anything really. the consistency of the entire soundtrack is what seals the deal. there IS no "bad" YU-NO song. the entire package is a wonderful gift from the 90s

murasaki - this is a recent favorite of mine and i'm so glad that i bought the soundtrack (which should be priced WAY higher, tbh). the artist is usually known for composing free music for the public domain but he often collaborates with game developers to create soundtracks specifically for the game. irisu syndrome was wonderfully depressive, but murasaki is a rollercoaster of moods: a soft title screen, a stage 1 that pumps you up, a relaxed stage 2 (this stage actually starts with a "screamer"), a jazzy stage 3, an even JAZZIER stage 4, and an absolutely amazing quartet of a final boss theme. the game ties the music into the final boss and the story in unexpected ways

space channel 5 - one of the best rhythm games ever! also really fucking hard! i remember failing the tutorial on this one (the sequel is a lot more lenient). i love how every movement of ulala is timed with the music and not only that, the music is GROOVY! if you were expecting jpop or whatever from this game, throw away your expectations and embrace the trumpets

princess maker 2 - my first DOS game... i particularly like the FM-TOWNS version of the soundtrack the most. there is a single main theme that is remixed 4 times in the game according to the season and you'll be hearing it a LOT. despite this, it remains catchy and even...comfy? also worth noting are the battle themes which are unusually hyped up for a child rearing game. you can send your 10 year old daughter to beat up the god of war in this game!

SMT IV - unique mix of rock and some heavy percussion on these songs. though the composer did a new spin on older SMT songs, this soundtrack has an identity of its own and pumps you up for EVERY battle, even the generic enemy encounters! not only that, but it has several variations of the battle theme as you progress through the game. when you're not fighting, the soundtrack is foreboding and also has that cyberpunk feel, no area is safe in SMT IV (not even the towns). tokyo is an amazing map theme by the way

mosaic9587e9456124d64ece9a85be37b7f7cabd10807c.thumb.jpg.8780320d669c6bd6ed2c077285c5e8b6.jpg

Samples:

Tekken 4- Inner Shrine
Dark Legacy- Garm's Citadel
SSB4- Battlefield theme
Shadows of Valentia- Land of Sorrow
SWTOR- Oricon, the Dread Fear
Dark Souls 2- Old Dragonslayer
Fate/Grand Order- Childhood's End
Medievil- Cemetery Hill
Persona 5- Beneath the Mask (Rain)

ooh okay this one was easy for me somehow

yEu5s.png

as for my favorites of each

Undertale: I regret this already why am I making myself choose just one, it is definitively Waterfall but I love so much of that game's OST
FE Awakening: ...... (although not choosing chaos - ablaze was tough)
Twilight Princess: so many but I will just choose Palace of Twilight - Inside (I can only find an extended version of this :c)
TWEWY: Shibuya
SMB: World 5 - Rapture (Dark World)
MH Tri: The Time Has Come
Wind Waker: Dragon Roost Island
Pokemon X/Y: Anistar City
Banjo-Kazooie: Final Battle

Edited by Freohr Datia

ikpYHdP.jpg?1
Dynasty Warriors 8 (Majestic DEEP BLUE V. Crossroads) , Live A Live (The Birds Fly In The Sky, The Fish Swim In The River), Kaiser Knuckle (Look At Me!)
Street Fighter EX2 (Digital Ignition), Tales of Phantasia (Fighting of The Spirit), Final Fantasy VIII (The Stage is Set)
Persona 5 (Phantom), Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (Emperor Arvis), King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match (Ж)

Edited by Trisitei

3x3ost.png

Spoiler

From left to right by row w/ samples:

Brave Fencer Musashi  |  Chrono Cross  |  Guilty Gear Xrd -Revelator-

Sonic Mania  |  Mega Man X6  |  Pictionary (NES)

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin  |  Batman (NES)  |  Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

6fCrdDe.png

Now my time has come. 

B429EXH.jpg

Games and my samples of choice

Sonic Adventure - Dilapidated Way Trails of Cold Steel - To Grasp Tomorrow , Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen - Accretion Disk
Castlevania Symphony of the Night - Crystal Teardrop Star Ocean 3 - The Divine Spirit of Language  Trails in the Sky The 3rd - The Crimson Stigma
Starcraft - Protoss 2 Disgaea 2 - Song of the Gods Star Fox Assault - Star Wolf

7ztqyQJ.png

NieR Automata - Possessed by a Disease, Devil May Cry - Shall Never Surrender, Metal Gear Revengeance - I'm My Own Master Now

Edit: I only put in 3 samples because Serenes Forest is a well working site with no problems at all that nobody needs to fix.

Edited by Ebony

kKLsvUq.png

Future Tactics: the Uprising - Undoubtedly my No.1 OST.  enemy attack, enemy attack 2, desperate enemy attack, It's obvious the aliens didn't conquer the world with their technology, they used Rock and Roll.  

MDK2  - . The Title Theme (used in other places as well) and the Mission 7 chase theme are my favorites.

Colony Wars - Still my go to for space battle music, apologies to John Williams.

Ace Combat 4 - Tempted to leave it out because of how Agnus Dei towers over the rest of the soundtrack, but then realized that I couldn't make that excuse.

Donkey Kong Country  -  I used to lean towards DKC2,  but Fear Factory. I actually prefer it to Aquatic Ambiance and the Minecart as my favorite in the game.

Total Annihilation -  Honestly I have trouble believing that the stuff in this game is actually video game music. Jeremy Soule

Secret Weapons Over Normandy - I might get some flack picking this Michael Giacchino soundtrack over Medal of Honor: Frontline, but it's honestly my favorite from him.

Rayman Origins - I've gotta give it to the water levels. The first time on the mosquito and the desert were pretty great as well.

Metal Slug - Mission 3 Start

I felt really bad having to drop things like Rayman 2 , Super Mario bros 3, Chrono Trigger, Bully, Turrican , Lufia 2 , Star Control 2 , Wesnoth , Timesplitters 2 , Vagrant Story , Turrican, A Link to the Past , Front Mission 1 , Baten Kaitos, Driver 1 , Descent, Yoshi's Island, Ape Escape, Star Fox 64, F-zero X, Daytona, Phantasy Star 4, and Final Fantasy 4. 

Also I discounted Brutal Legend and Tony Hawk due to the licensed music. THPS 1 would probably muscle in just due to the instant recognition I have for all of its songs otherwise

mosaic3348c0a2e901eab91afe200fe7cde75b106314a9.thumb.jpg.697d4ed2d17b4bb49480a8e763a23135.jpg

Had a lot of difficulty picking just one track for some of these so I ended up doing two for each.

Spoiler

The Last of Us, The Path (A New Beginning) - The Last of Us

The Illusive Man, Suicide Mission - Mass Effect 2

Don't speak her name, Id (Sorrow) - Fire Emblem: Awakening

Living with Determination, The Battle for Everyone's Souls - Persona 3

Smile, I'll Face Myself - Persona 4

Life Will Change, Last Surprise - Persona 5

Main Theme, The Water Dragon- Jade Empire

Glass, Flaws- Life is Strange: Before the Storm

The Sith Lords, Rebuilt Jedi Enclave- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2

1 hour ago, Ebony said:

Edit: I only put in 3 samples because Serenes Forest is a well working site with no problems at all that nobody needs to fix.

*sigh* Story of my life. I've run into editing problems again, of the "this comment may have been moved or deleted, or too much time may have passed for it to be edited" sort.

mosaic2402c5c9bb3c0dc31f2597abe00803fbda0c75c7.jpg

Pokémon Sapphire - VS Elite Four
Final Fight 3 - For Metro City
Fire Emblem Awakening - Divine Decree (Ablaze)
Ultra Street Fighter IV - Volcanic Rim
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle - Metal Harbor
Metal Gear Rising - A Stranger I Remain
Bloody Roar Primal Fury - Freeway
Gravity Rush 2 - Main Theme
Megadimension Neptunia VII - Voltage