3x3 of the week! #19: Favorite Western Animation shows

Jedi

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:

Make a mosaic from a photoset, favorites, tags, or individual digital photographs or images.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X

2. Guilty Gear Xrd

3. Super Mario Galaxy

The rest is in no particular order.

no hotling. Gotta save it somewhere and upload it.

11 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:

Make a mosaic from a photoset, favorites, tags, or individual digital photographs or images.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X

2. Guilty Gear Xrd

3. Super Mario Galaxy

The rest is in no particular order.

You did remember to save that somewhere, did you not? Because I first made that same mistake, then learned my lesson once that showed up.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Oooh, I like the concept =) Should've found this earlier - I might backfill at least a little bit later on, if that's OK.

hpsuxz7.png

Certainly some nostalgia involved here - Pokémon Blau, for example, I played a lot with an old friend when we were kids. I haven't played DotT in a looong time, so I'm not sure if it's still my cuppa, and although I got FF9 on Steam recently, I didn't really play it as much as I expected. EU4 is the game I'm playing the most right now, though.

Late but this week will be gaming antagonists.

Characters who started as antagonists but changed sides will be allowed.

Edited by Jedi

Oooo, this is a fun theme!

X9FP3Qr.jpg

From left to right, top to bottom:

Jean Descole (Professor Layton series), Lyon (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones), Ghirahim (Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword)

Cyrus (Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum), Hazama/Yuuki Terumi (BlazBlue series), Lusamine (Pokemon Sun/Moon)

Fawful (Mario & Luigi series), F.A.N.G. (Street Fighter V), Malos (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)

It was tough narrowing it down to 9, but the first six listed here are definitely in my top 6.

Since we have done favorite protagonists in gaming in the past and are currently doing favorite antagonists in the same category, I suggest we do "Favorite Protagonists in Animation" followed by "Favorite Antagonists in Animation" sometime in the future. We did a favorite characters in animation following a similar theme with video games, so I think it wouldn't hurt to follow up with protagonists and antagonists sometime in a similar light for animation.

Edited by Erureido

Week_14.png

Top: The Boss, Metal Gear Solid 3 | Junko Enoshima, Danganronpa | Dracula, Castlevania
Middle: Nyarlathotep, Persona 2 | Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower, Bloodborne: The Old Hunters | Albert Wesker, Resident Evil
Bottom: Dahlia Gillespie, Silent Hill | Lucifer, Shin Megami Tensei | Vayne Carudas Solidor, Final Fantasy XII

SBFIY8l.png

Grunty from Banjo Kazooie / Bowser from Super Mario Brothers / Schwang Schwing from MDK2 

Middle

Luca Blight from Suikoden 2 / The Annoucer from Smash TV / Don Weaso from Conker's Bad Fur Day

Bottom

Andross from Star Fox 64 / Calypso from Twisted Metal 2 / Ganondorf from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Honestly, I'm not a big antagonist guy myself. I tend to prefer the "good guys" in shows I watch or games I play. So this list is just antagonists that left some kind of impression on me.

nDyLm0g.jpg

Team Skull (Pokémon Sun & Moon), Shigure Rangetsu (Tales of Berseria), Mustafa (FE Awakening),
Urien (Street Fighter), Azrael (BlazBlue), Blue Oak (Pokémon FireRed & LeafGreen),
N (Pokémon Black & White), Bryan Fury (Tekken), Miror B. (Pokémon Colosseum)

Idk how I feel about most of my favorite antagonists being shirtless muscular men.

Got mine finally 

jrsJ73S.jpg

Demon King Oersted (Live-A-Live), Doctor Ivo Robotnik/Eggman (Sonic), Vita (Trails of Cold Steel) 
Golbez (Final Fantasy 4), Colonel Richard (Trails in the Sky), Magus (Chrono Trigger) 
Vergil (Devil May Cry), Arvis (Fire Emblem 4), Sarah Kerrigan (Starcraft)

Difficult question if your preferred genre is 4X / Grand Strategy :D Although I made things even harder on myself by trying not to pick more than one antagonist per series.

f1fykdl.png

left to right - top to bottom:

• Sin (Final Fantasy X) - I just love the concept behind it. Less a villain, more a force of nature, despite the connection to the MC. The player punches in Kilika and during Operation Mi'ihen are really well-placed, too.
  • LeChuck (Monkey Island) - He changes form from ghost to zombie to demon to all of above between games, but I think I prefer the demon form from the 3rd game of the series. Nice and hammy, not too threatening (although I was quite terrified of him as a wee child :D ) and a good voice in the German version.
  • Kamoshida (Persona 5) - Probably my favourite in this list. Very hateable, realistic enough to be really unsettling, and he makes the protagonists' path from "we should be careful" to "if he dies, he dies" believable.
  • Ming (Europa Universalis IV) - might be stretching it :D They're technically just a playable tag, only that they're by far in the strongest position at game start. But the Ming are a very satisfying "end boss" to beat if you play a tag in their sphere of influence. As long as they're too strong, you can just bend the knee and pay them tribute, and when you are strong enough to punch them hard enough once, it's very satisfying to watch them crumble and the following wars with them are quite cathartic because their troops will be significantly weaker - as long as you did hurt them enough in the first war.
  • Giovanni (Pokémon Red/Blue) - I admittedly didn't play any Pokémon game past Platinum, but out of the evil teams of the games that I did play, TR is still my favourite, at least while this guy is around (they're kinda pathetic in GSC). I like their simplicity - it's not about reshaping or recreating the world, it's just all about money and power.
  • Mind Worms (Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri) - In terms of gameplay, the "barbarians" of this Civ spin-off. Lorewise, they're part of the very Cthulu-esque and dystopian story that the game tells - basically, the whole planet that the human colonists are trying to settle has one giant hive mind, and the mind worms are its leucocytes. SMAC is a great example that a strategy game can tell an amazing story.
  • Malcolm (Legend of Kyrandia) - I actually haven't played the games in which he was the villain, which is a crying shame, but I can't get them to run on my computer with sound. The game I did play featured him as the protagonist who is out there to a) prove that he didn't commit the crimes he was charged with and b) get his bloody revenge. :D
  • Ritz Malheur (Final Fantasy Tactics Advance) - Well, OK, this is kinda part of the FF series, especially with FF12 taking place in Ivalice, too. I was just running out of ideas, OK? :D Ritz is great because she's clearly in the right compared to Marche "Escapism is bad!!!".
  • Gremlins (Creatures) - this is where I really had to jog my memory to fill that 9th spot. I could have taken a FE villain, but that would have been lazy, wouldn't it? ;) Anyway, Gremlins are big smelly meanies who will punch, infect, and steal from your precious Norns.

3x3villains.png

Spoiler

Kaiser Oblivion (Bravely Second) | Lyon (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) | Gilgamesh (Final Fantasy 5)

Shagaru Magala (Monster Hunter 4) | Ganondorf (Wind Waker) | Freeze Man (Mega Man 7)

Asgore (Undertale) | Lynx (Chrono Cross) | M. Bison (Street Fighter 2)

• 5 hours ago, ping said:

Gremlins (Creatures) - this is where I really had to jog my memory to fill that 9th spot. I could have taken a FE villain, but that would have been lazy, wouldn't it? ;) Anyway, Gremlins are big smelly meanies who will punch, infect, and steal from your precious Norns.

Ah Creatures. good memories. However I don't think that the Grendels are really good as antagonists (outside of written material like the game manuals). 

Creatures 1 Grendel - The Creatures 1 Grendel doesn't actually act hostile in most situations. It does get "reinforcement" brain chemicals if it starts slapping a Norn, but the initial desire to do it isn't actually built into them. They also live for really short periods of time. Even as a carrier of diseases, they aren't that bad (they aren't inherently born with them despite the description of them in the manual/tooltips), and are actually a little sad, since in the first game, they are carriers without being immune to the diseases themselves, so the worst they can do is come to your creatures while infected and die near them, rather than actually antagonize them during their own lives. If they manage to avoid infection, they are easily gentle enough to hang out on the same screen as Norns for in-game years.

Creatures 2 Grendel - In the second game they completely fail at being a scary force because they are born in the worst location. Poison plants grow in the volcano and they can't resist eating things. Also the volcano's radiocativity gives them bone disease. Any Grendel who actually manages to make it your creatures is almost guaranteed to be barely alive. And what's more the Norns are really slap happy in C2 (moreso teenagers than adult) so the Grendels can only really harm Norns that are already seniors or still babies. I honestly think of the C2 Grendel as being more of an underdog than the Norns themselves. 

Creatures 3 Grendel -  Grendels in this game can  realistically kill Norns, and if they get into the Norn Terrarium they might end up even going on a spree and killing multiple Norns.. However, it's kind of a matter of two glass cannons- the C3 Norns themselves can sometimes become way more violent than the Grendels (both in self defense and whilst terrorizing other Norns). Also the hand can chase the C3 Grendels to a greater extent by spanking them than in other games in my experience. Behaviour wise they're probbably the most interesting Grendel, but they're also the worst one graphics wise so I tend to be underwhelmed by them.

3 hours ago, Reality said:

Creatures 1 Grendel - The Creatures 1 Grendel doesn't actually act hostile in most situations. It does get "reinforcement" brain chemicals if it starts slapping a Norn, but the initial desire to do it isn't actually built into them. They also live for really short periods of time. Even as a carrier of diseases, they aren't that bad (they aren't inherently born with them despite the description of them in the manual/tooltips), and are actually a little sad, since in the first game, they are carriers without being immune to the diseases themselves, so the worst they can do is come to your creatures while infected and die near them, rather than actually antagonize them during their own lives. If they manage to avoid infection, they are easily gentle enough to hang out on the same screen as Norns for in-game years.

Huh, you live and learn. =) I always panicked when a Grendel would show up, but to my defence, I was ~12 years old when Iast played the game and not looking for any online help or guides. ;)

On 1/31/2018 at 7:37 PM, Chen said:

nYpnKk.png

5 female characters

4 male

Honestly, I'm surprised you had more female antagonists than males - I have trouble thinking of much in the way of female antagonists...

Spoiler

MtqnNkH.png

• Arvis (Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War), Kuja (Final Fantasy IX), Kefka Palazzo(Final Fantasy VI)
  • Lusamine (Pokemon Sun/Moon) Kirei Kotomine (Fate/stay night), Adachi Tohru (Persona 4)
  • Artorius Collbrande (Tales of Berseria), Monika (Doki Doki Literature Club), Fawful (Mario and Luigi RPGs)

Some of mine are kinda spoilery so I guess I'll put mine in a spoiler in case people care.

I don't think I have anything too spoilery, but better safe than sorry.

Spoiler

Darth Baras- SWOTOR
Zarok- Medievil
Arvis- Genealogy of the Holy War
Goetia- Fate/Grand Order
Samael- Darksiders
Heihachi- Tekken
Ghetsis- Pokemon
Relius Clover- Blazblue
The Stalker- Warframe

I'm gonna second whoever brought up the idea of doing a favorite animated heroes + villains idea. I just recently got super into Dragon Ball and Devilman and I want to scream about my love.

Anyway here are the 3x3s:

Last week's

MvH79oo.jpg

Nier Automata, Bloodborne, Persona 2
Yume Nikki, Final Fantasy XV, Devil May Cry 3
Fire Emblem Echoes, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, Dragon Ball FighterZ

This one

cY53Iq1.png

Lady Maria (Bloodborne), Ardyn Izunia (Final Fantasy XV), Lunamine (Pokemon Sun and Moon)
Android 21 (FighterZ), Vergil (Devil May Cry), Junko (Touhou)
Beatrice (Umineko), Berkut (Fire Emblem), Adam (Nier Automata)
Beatrice is kinda skirting the line of not 100% being an antagonist but she counts in my heart. <3

Edited by Ebony
it... didnt include my new one fsr???