How can Corrin be improved as a character?

Duster

Make them the protagonist of the story but not the protagonist of the world. There's no reason that Corrin should be leading the charge in Conquest or Birthright. He does not have the criteria by blood, experience or charisma to be as important as he is in-universe. I don't even mind the mildly incestuous mollycoddling (much), but the other siblings shouldn't be bowing to his whims. For all its faults Conquest does manage to do this a bit by keeping Iago and Gaon around but the world is still entirely too Corrin centric. Corrin needs to be a player in a larger game, like the way Ike was. He only started leading armies past the half way point of the game and even then it did not feel like everyone was just following him due to the presence of people like Nasir, Thanith and Zelguis (and theoretically speaking Elincia but she didn't get up to much). Corrin has advisers in the form of his siblings but they're all basically yes men or just step in the be rightfully distrusting at certain points. Ultimately I'd say Corrin doesn't need to change all that much, absolutely everything else needs to change.

• 1 month later...

1) Corrin should not be the Avatar. This was a mistake. I don't advocate getting rid of the Avatar by any means; I love building a customizable MyUnit from a mechanical/gameplay perspective. But story-wise, the Avatar should not be the protagonist (Corrin), or have any significant agency in the story (Robin), or even interject at all in scenarios where they should really just shut the fuck up (Kris). Right away, many of the game's plot problems vanish with this simple change.

2) Get rid of all the dragon bullshit. Dusk/Dawn Dragon lineage for royals, Rainbow Sage nonsense (including the stupidly overpowered 1-2 weapons, lol), Anankos period, Valla, Dragon Veins, Corrin and their freakspawn being a Fates!Manakete, all of it. Unfortunately this would require rewriting the game from the ground up, but I'd go for that over what we were presented; all draconic presence in the game's plot is almost universally disastrous to its quality.

3) Get rid of the kids. Awakening at least integrated it somewhat into the main plot, but Fates's contrivance in this matter is absolutely laughable. Not even the mechanical entertainment of trying to max their potential out as units forgives this one; they need to go.

Really, having those first two opinions alone means that the game already needs a complete overhaul, so there's not much point saying anything else for me.