So this is something I've been hoping for a very long time now. Radiant Dawn is one of my favorite games but of course I know it has it's issues, like everything else, so if the game was to be remade what are some changes you would make? I'm interested to know what you would change or what you already really like about the game!

Spoiler

Secretly hopes that the RD reference in Warriors might mean more...

Edited by Silver-Haired Maiden

Yeah, give us some actual support conversations. I bet the DB would no longer be boring flat pieces of cardboard if that happened.

Other things I'd improve/change:

- Add a few more paired endings. Don't need to be many. I would just most definitely add Ike x Elincia (platonic or romantic, could go either way), Rolf x Mist, Kieran x Marcia, Rhys x Mia, and Aran x Laura
- Go into a little more depth on the Blood Pact. The concept is really interesting, it just needs to be explained a bit better.
- Fix the availability of some units. Have Tormod's group come back in part 3 instead of halfway through part 4. :/ And give the DB a few more chapters to get levels so they're not constantly behind Ike and the Greil Mercs. Also would give Micaiah a little more spotlight and some better writing since now she's just boring and then gets overshadowed by Yune.
- Make Fiona, Meg, and to a lesser extent, the non-royal Laguz actually usable and good.

And this is really all.

• Make mages faster
  • Overhall part 4 maps
  • Change the hidden items system
  • Make the transformation gauge recover faster for laguz
  • Buff the members of the Dawn Brigade so that they are less reliant on guest characters.
  • Do not push for Astrid and Makalov as a couple.
  •  Expand on new story characters such as Vika, Gareth, and Laura
  • Make the Begnion Senators more interesting as villains.
  • Make part 1 easier, then make the Dawn Brigade chapters more balanced/ less of a power gap between the Greil Mercenaries and Crimeans
  • Make Sephiran's recruitment less cryptic 
  • Make Micaiah do more in part 4 rather than being possessed by Yune 80% of the time.
  • Clarify why Sanaki or previous generations of Apostles of Begnion are not branded
  • Make requirements for Soren conservation with Almedha less cryptic
  • Add supports
  • Imply or heavy adjust the blood contract as an idea.
  • Lower the power of 3rd tier classes
  • Explain the mechanics of people being turned into stone by Ashera

And more stuff to come.

Edited by Jingle Jangle

Supports are a pretty good thing to add. I understand that the different routes and the previous support make things a bit more tricky, but we hardly got to known any of the new characters like Aran, Kyza, Meg,  Heather and to a lesser extent the dawn brigade.

I would also like to see the third tiers being changed a little. Nerfing the second tier classes and slapping an instant kill move on everyone wasn't very interesting. Only Marksman had a good change behind them.

Some balance changes would also be nice. The not Greil mercenaries have a hard time in this game. The Dawn Brigade has fewer chapters, the part 2 characters rejoin late and characters like Ilyana just join part 3 underleveled while still not being very good even when trained. Magic as a whole could be a little more impressive too.

Giving Muarim, Tormod and Vika more to do in a Beorce vs Laguz conflict would also be pretty nice.

For weapons i'd say change staves and crossbows. Drop the staves counterattack feature or make it so that it isn't useless 99% of the time. The only times i've seen it do damage or on some joke video's. Crossbows could be less useless in player hands and less of a death sentence to fliers in enemy hands.

Edited by Sasori

Make it actually good.

Honestly, there's so much that needs fixing in FE10 that they'd be better off making a new game, or making an actually good remake of FE3 that actually gives a shit about the game it's remaking

More time spent on actually giving the Dawn Brigade actual character and character development. Maybe give them a handful more chapters and make EXP a bit more plentiful so you aren't hardpressed to use maybe two or three AT MOST. On top of this, make it clearer that Micaiah's mistakes are a bit more out of her control than they did originally.

Fix the availability problem a lot of units have "Oh hai Tormod oh bai Tormod. See you again in the last part while you're still only second tier."

Edited by Slumber

1 hour ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Clarify why Sanaki or previous generations of Apostles of Begnion are not branded

This was already done. It was said somewhere that every first born in Altina's line will have the Brand. Micaiah was born first, Sanaki wasn't.

Just now, Anacybele said:

This was already done. It was said somewhere that every first born in Altina's line will have the Brand. Micaiah was born first, Sanaki wasn't.

I must have overlooked that part in the game. Then I guess the branded mechanics could be explained better, especially the part where Laguz parents lose their powers by having a branded child.

Must changes:

• add weapon triangle in hard mode
  • remove biorhythm
  • give units like Meg and Fiona higher base level and stats to make them seriously trainable in hard mode
  • make GM's chapter harder or nerf some units like Ike, Titania or Shinon regarding their level because the enemies's level is too low
  • replace pseudo third tier enemies by actual third enemies and give them mastery skills 
  • give units like Tormod, Lucia or Geoffrey more chapters to get levels, or autolevel them when they return to be usable till the end
  • give Micaiah the final blow to Ashera
  • give Micaiah authority stars (at the latest in part 3)

32 minutes ago, Byakuren Hijiri said:

Must changes:

• replace pseudo third tier enemies by actual third enemies and give them mastery skills 

How would that be a good change? Your idea would similar to a game filled with assassins with killing edges. Mastery skills are generally OHKO and work due to RNG. I'd first nerf mastery skills like they were in PoR. 

Personally, I think authority stars should be a better reflection of one's authority instead of being random. Makes no sense that Zelgius has zero authority stars when he's the most charismatic general in Begnion and even Ike felt Zelgius should run the Apostle army. Furthermore, they should be given to the characters based on their growth as leaders. It would make sense that Micaiah starts with none but she should gain one once she becomes vice general of the Daein liberation army. Then once she becomes the general of the Daein army, she should have two leadership starts. Once part 4 stars, she should have three leadership stars. Elincia should have two leadership stars in part 2 but due to becoming a stronger queen after the rebellion, her authority should increase to 3 stars. Similarly, Ike's authority stars shouldn't be constant throughout the game to reflect his growth as a leader. 

Other character's authority stars should be made to matter like I posted in this thread. Detailed support conversations between certain pairs should be added even if the conversations are only for RD exclusive pairs. Make the requirements to get characters like Sephiran, Soren conversation with Ike, etc. less cryptic and easier. Explore Micaiah's backstory and how she came to Daein just like they did with Ike's flashback where he saw his father kill his mother but Sephiran wiped away the memory. Give Micaiah a conversation with Yune instead of Ike and Yune since it is Micaiah who is supposed to have a relationship with Yune, not Ike. 

Give the blood pact actual lore in how it came to be rather than just shoehorned as a plot device. Speaking of the blood pact, when Ena talks to Kurthnaga and figures out why Daein is fighting, she even tells Ike that Kurth has a good reason to aide Daein yet Ike doesn't compel her to reveal the reason. For something this strange and important, I don't get why Ike, who is supposed to be blunt and to the point, just lets it slide. Add in the Laguz Emancipation Army in part 3. Even if they refuse to fight in the war, they can help facilitate negotiations with the likes of Zelgius, Levail and the Holy Guard. PoR had a laguz summit where Daein's invasion of Crimea was discussed, but there isn't there a laguz summit prior to the war with Begnion which is very strange considering this war is by far more important for the laguz than a conflict between two beorc nations. Add in a laguz summit where the repercussions and justification of war are discussed in detail. 

Gameplay wise, make it so that wyvern riders are weak to bows again because they only have lightning as a weakness, unlike Pegasi and bird laguz who have wind and bow weakness. Speaking of thunder, make it better considering it has both lower might and lower accuracy than the other two tomes. Maybe make its accuracy as good as PoR but keep its might low to compensate for its crit. Furthermore, why do wind edges have less accuracy and less might than the other two weapon types? Swords are supposed to be more accurate than their lance and axe counterparts. 

Edited by Icelerate

The main changes I would like to see in a remake of Radiant Dawn would be:

1) Give Fiona, Micaiah and Meg better bases and in the case of Micaiah a better speed and HP growth and stat. Bases that make sense for when they join and their level.

2) Improve the forge so that Poleaxes, Greatlances, and Blade swords can be forged.

3) Maybe give the Dawn Brigade a few extra battles in part one

4) Have unique support conversations between characters.

5) Fix the growths of non royal laguz so that stats that matter like Hp, Str, Speed Def and Skill are very likely to increase luck does not need to be as high as it is maybe also allow them to learn Formshift after either using the Satori sign or reaching a specific level say 50 for instance. Make Gareth, the cat sisters, Kyza, and the Ravens serviceable also make Kezhda playable he looks to awesome to not be playable.

6) Make Largo playable there's no reason why he's not playable.

7) Give us more 3rd tier units to fight in Part 4

Edited by SavageVolug
Forgot one final point.

Wow, I wasn't expecting to get so many responses so quickly! This is great!

I actually made a list of things I liked and didn't about some of the main characters but it's a little long so I might do something else with that in another thing :)

In terms of the actual game (bearing in mind that I haven't had the opportunity to play PoR):

Actually develop the DB. None of them got too much development and as much as I love Micaiah they really could have gone way deeper into her backstory. Revealing her motivations and past would go a large way into getting people to appreciate her more than they do. Also Part 1 needs to be longer. I like the thing about fixing the authority stars too! But it seems like the DB really just gets shafted in this game and that's not right.

Support conversations would be much appreciated and, considering the volume of characters, needed to develop them! I personally would add quite a few.

Part 2 was largely not needed but as a way to help fix that we could change up the plot of Part 2. I know people want to see Elincia and what she's doing (and I love Lucia and Haar) so I'd still want to see the Crimeans, but perhaps it would be better if it was focused on a skirmish between Crimea and Daein instead of the beginnings of a Crimean civil war. It wouldn't have to be anything too intense. Perhaps the Crimean people near the border dislike that Daein is self-governing again and start fights with the Daein people near the border? That would lead to Elincia and Micaiah (because Pelleas is not a good ruler) having to interact to try and stop the fighting. Besides, Micaiah and Elincia never get to interact and this would help with the huge level gap between the DB and the GM.

Personally I would split Part 3 in two. The new Part 3 would still focus on Ike and the Laguz Alliance but it would be purely Ike chapters with some laguz chapters in there as well to help develop Skrimir and Ranulf. Everyone loves Ike, I'm no exception, and this way Ike would have less chance of stealing the spotlight from Micaiah and the DB like he does. Also Tormod and party could come into play here to help their levels out. Also include some development for Mist! Everyone seems to forget about her.

The new Part 4 would focus on the fight between the Apostle's Army and Daein. This would allow more time for the conflict between the two sides, perhaps allow the Crimeans to try and help peace talks (since Elincia would know Micaiah in this and would want the two sides to find some resolution). This would allow time to develop and fix the Blood Pact fiasco, allow Ike and Micaiah to have more battlefield conversations, and keep the DB valid for endgame (seriously, the poor DB). This part could balance between the two sides with Ike winning some and Micaiah winning some. Soren is one of my major issues with the whole Daein vs LA parts but I won't get into that here. At the end of this the whole Ashera thing happens.

Now this would technically be the new Part 5, but in this Micaiah would not be Yune's human puppet. It seems like everyone has an issue with that, for good reason. I'd like to see the party travel together for a while before splitting up. The two Lords of the game need some time to get to know each other and everyone needs conversations with each other after everything that's happened. This would also be a chance for them to hash out greivances and for Ike and the others to understand Micaiah's motivations behind the choices she made. After a while they could split up and all before coming back to the Tower. This longer part would also allow some more time for the ending's story to develop since it always felt rather rushed to me. I know lots of people have issues with the whole "Micaiah is actually the real Apostle" reveal and I agree. That needs to be done way better. Ike and Micaiah should also do more sharing of the spotlight in this part. Let them both deal the final blow to Ashera.

There's more of course but I'm running out of time to type so I'll add on more later!

3 hours ago, Michelaar said:

One thing. WRITE ACTUAL SUPPORTS.

That wouldn't be practical, due to the sheer amount of supports that would have to be written. Taking Micaiah as an example, the developers would have to write supports for Micaiah X Edward, Micaiah x Leonardo,. Micaiah  x Nolan, all the way up to Miciah X Gareth and Micaiah x Nasir (and then they'd have to do it again for all the rest of the characters in the game).

So yeah, it would be totally unreasonable to give everyone actual supports (unless of course, you and Anacybele want to write them for IS).

Anyhow, I'd go for Vika, Muarim and Tormod getting some more screen time. 

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, give us some actual support conversations. I bet the DB would no longer be boring flat pieces of cardboard if that happened.

Other things I'd improve/change:

- Add a few more paired endings. Don't need to be many. I would just most definitely add Ike x Elincia (platonic or romantic, could go either way), Rolf x Mist, Kieran x Marcia, Rhys x Mia, and Aran x Laura
- Go into a little more depth on the Blood Pact. The concept is really interesting, it just needs to be explained a bit better.
- Fix the availability of some units. Have Tormod's group come back in part 3 instead of halfway through part 4. :/ And give the DB a few more chapters to get levels so they're not constantly behind Ike and the Greil Mercs. Also would give Micaiah a little more spotlight and some better writing since now she's just boring and then gets overshadowed by Yune.
- Make Fiona, Meg, and to a lesser extent, the non-royal Laguz actually usable and good.

And this is really all.

All of this, and then I would also say a few more maps as a whole, specifically for the Dawn Brigade. Add a few maps to Part 1, maybe add a few more for them in Part 3, and just add some more maps to Part 4 for everyone.

Part 1 could help get the Dawn Brigade a little more screen time, make them a little more likable and flesh them out.Their biggest issue was always the fact that they had barely a fraction of the time the rest of the cast had to get to know them. Likewise, it could help catch the Dawn Brigade up level wise, and allow you to not have to spread xp out so sparingly. Adding more in Part 3 would allow them to catch up to the rest a little easier, and also do as was mentioned above, which is expand on the Blood Pact more, and also expand on the Daien/Begnion vs everyone else conflict going on.

Part 4 adding more maps would allow them to potentially flesh more of the story out. Give us a few more villains to take care of throughout, and make them varying map types as well, which Part 4 was really lacking.

Better availability for characters like Renning, Bastian, and Volke. Them being missing until the absolute end of the game really hurt them, as by the time you got them you were already established with other characters to worry about these 3 new guys who show up at the literal end parts of the game.

Also adding to the pairing list. Lyre and Gatrie. I found it odd there was an entire base conversation of Gatrie being interested in Lyre and then literally nothing come of it. They should have a support, maybe even a paired ending.

Lastly, fix the second play through requirement of parts of the story and characters. A good chunk of RD's story and 2 of its characters are left locked behind a 2nd playthrough for really no reason. Some of these plotpoints really help explain a few events of the story, and it also gives our only dark tome user in the game, which was funny considering you are able to purchase and pick up dark tomes with no user for it in your first playthrough. Without touching on too many spoilers, make him playable in the 1st playthrough and add those parts of the story into the game itself.

42 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

That wouldn't be practical, due to the sheer amount of supports that would have to be written. Taking Micaiah as an example, the developers would have to write supports for Micaiah X Edward, Micaiah x Leonardo,. Micaiah  x Nolan, all the way up to Miciah X Gareth and Micaiah x Nasir (and then they'd have to do it again for all the rest of the characters in the game).

So yeah, it would be totally unreasonable to give everyone actual supports (unless of course, you and Anacybele want to write them for IS).

Anyhow, I'd go for Vika, Muarim and Tormod getting some more screen time. 

They wouldn't have to write all of them, they could just you know... implement the regular system instead of Radiant Dawn's bizarre system.

I hope it won't be a remake rather a remastered version with a 'Few' changes.

•) Actual support conversations.

•) Make the gameplay faster 

•) Part 3 should be more challenging.

•) Give Micaiah some decent speed growth.

•) The availability of certain units needs some improvement.

Now for the most important thing.

Don't flush down all of Micaiah's development down the drain. Yune possessing Micaiah was the stupidest thing ever. I love Micaiah and seeing her treated like a human puppet infuriated me to no end. Just make Yune speak to Ike and MICAIAH telepathically or she should just take spirit form she took during the end.

Micaiah and Ike's minimal interactions were some of the most interesting dialogs ever. Their interaction should be increased.

Also Remove Micaiah and Sothe's marriage ending because that's just plain weird since she particularly  raised him.

Mostly for my own personal reason.

•) Make Soren and Ike's last base conversation cinematic. I would give anything to see that hug in cinematics. 

Edited by Skylorella Con

15 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

They wouldn't have to write all of them, they could just you know... implement the regular system instead of Radiant Dawn's bizarre system.

It makes sense for certain units, namely Ilyana, Haar, Brom, Nephenee, Heather, possibly Jill and Zihark, and for everyone during the Part 4 three army split. But otherwise it does fail. It doesn't help support building that the constant team swapping limits the time you have for supports to develop. I mean the paired endings of Naesala and Leanne and Lucia and Bastian need to be made while in the Tower of Guidance.

58 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Well you could make generic ones for certain character pairings, and non-generics for others. Easy.

2 hours ago, SavageVolug said:

2) Improve the forge so that Poleaxes, Greatlances, and Blade swords can be forged.

No! Do you want magic to be even worse off? These power weapons are partly to blame for the weakness of tomes, the different between Steel Poleax and an Elfire tome is 8 Atk, that exceeds the 4-7 Def vs. Res gap the majority of non-high Res units have.

2 hours ago, Byakuren Hijiri said:
  • give units like Tormod, Lucia or Geoffrey more chapters to get levels, or autolevel them when they return to be usable till the end
  • give Micaiah the final blow to Ashera

They did autoleveling in FE8 and 9 (Rhys joins with some autolevels strangely), don't see why they couldn't have in RD. Masteries on normal enemies would be a bad idea unless they were toned down, as in without the extreme damage. Some distribution of normal skills like Cancel and Adept somewhat randomly among standard enemies would be good too.

Micaiah getting the final blow on Ashera would be very annoying from a gameplay perspective, since at with capped Magic, Nasir and Rexaura, she'd do only 7 damage. If you didn't get Rexaura, or recruit Nasir, or train Micaiah heavily, you're doomed. Honestly, the final blow should be open to anyone to deal, and then the real final blow is dealt afterwards in a movie clip. By Ragnell, with Micaiah (not Yune talking in Micaiah) providing the Chaos that gives it's killing power- equal representation and equally important roles for Miccy and Ike in the killing of Ashera. Afterwards, Micaiah and Ike alike chat with Yune before she vanishes. Micaiah calls Yune a big sister at one point, it's shame we never see them talk to each other and that is the one moment they had when they could have. 

By the way, ever read Sephiran's 4-Final-5 chat with Micaiah? If you haven't, you should. I wish we could see the aftermath of it.

2 hours ago, SavageVolug said:

6) Make Largo playable there's no reason why he's not playable.

He was wounded and can't fight as a result.

Mine (that hasn't been said already): More dark magic. Not restricted to only a couple bosses and one ally who's not even playable until a second playthrough. Give Micaiah the option to not sacrifice Pelleas in first playthrough. The game is too long for second playthrough only characters sans Sephiran, I'm fine with him the way he is, but give me Pelleas. No reason to not have the option to let him live from the very beginning...everybody would let him live then I guess, but is that really a big deal? Then get rid of the player having to make the choice and just show Micaiah deciding to let him live.

I'm in the opinion that we shouldn't see a RD remake for a long time, but I would love it in 10 years or so. My list would be

1. actual supports- at least between characters that make sense. Laura + Aran
  2. autolevel characters like Tormod and Lucia, because they're great characters that fall behind due to availability issues.
  3. beef up Meg, Fiona, Lyre, and Kyza. They pale in comparison to characters almost immediately after they join. Scratch that, make it immediately.
  4. Have the spectre cards have higher hit rates. There's no real reason to use them, except give them to a heron/unshifted laguz, but even then they probably won't hit.
  5. Expand on some characters that weren't expanded on in PoR. I'm looking at the new characters (Part 1 newbies, Kyza, Lyre, etc.) in particular. I would also like to see an expansion on the branded characters as well, such as Stefan and potentially Ilyana. Ilyana isn't confirmed as branded, but is often theorized as so, since her home country isn't listed and she's known for her laguz appetite. She's pretty much one note as of now, so her character given more context cold be nice. I especially want to see more Volug, since he's hilarious.

1 hour ago, Michelaar said:

they could just you know... implement the regular system instead of Radiant Dawn's bizarre system.

Which wouldn't work due to how some characters change armies or disappear for huge chunks of the game.

Take Ilyana for instance, she first appears in Part 1, but leaves the Dawn Brigade and later joins up with Ike. Now either she goes supportless during Part 1, or ends up with a useless support in Part 3.

There's also Tormod and crew, who join in 1-7, leave at the end of Part 1, and don't show up again until 4-4. What are they going to do support-wise?

Edited by NinjaMonkey

9 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Which wouldn't work due to how some characters change armies or disappear for huge chunks of the game.

Take Ilyana for instance, she first appears in Part 1, but leaves the Dawn Brigade and later joins up with Ike. Now either she goes supportless during Part 1, or ends up with a useless support in Part 3.

There's also Tormod and crew, who join in 1-7, leave at the end of Part 1, and don't show up again until 4-4. What are they going to do support-wise?

And this is where improving/altering some of the characters' availability comes in.

5 hours ago, MCProductions said:

Make it actually good.

Honestly, there's so much that needs fixing in FE10 that they'd be better off making a new game, or making an actually good remake of FE3 that actually gives a shit about the game it's remaking

This

Actually discussing RD. IMO, it doesn't need a full on remake since it's too new and really should only get a remaster, however since we are discussing a remake:

-Remove third tiers. They are the main reason the DB are so bad. I mean, no unit past Part 1 appears as a tier 1 class. I really don't see how the game expected  DB to keep up.

-Fix character availability. Again, another reason some characters are just plain useless. Laguz Emancipation Army? Why bother when they come so late. Fiona? The same reason. Most of the CRK? Again the same.

-Make it so I don't need to play this long ass game multiple times to 100% it.

-Give the DB more chapters. If do keep the 3rd tiers, they need this especially.

-Make it so regular Laguz aren't completely worthless in the face of the royals.

-Fix the blood pact or remove it. It is one of the shittyest plot points in FE.

-Give Ike actual development. Ike does not develop at all after PoR which makes him an extremely stale and boring protagonist to follow. While Corrin may be a shit show, at least I can laugh at how stupid they are. Ike barley does anything that that gets a reaction out of me.

Personally, though I know it would make for a MASSIVE game, I wish they would remake PoR and RD and put them together in one release. I doubt it will happen but it would be a lot of fun and I really wouldn't mind paying more for it. Especially since I'll never be able to play PoR any other way... and it might help with continuity and all between games too (say with Naesala's whole blood pact issue).