Did you like My Castle?

Kazuya

Vote dood   

30 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like My Castle

• Yes
    • No

Berwick Saga did it first and better

I liked it in terms of gameplay, tho I'm really not a fan of the pocket demension explanation. That was just dumb, especially since Corrin, regardless of route takes a fortress that would be perfect for the job before the split even begins.

I also liked it in terms of gameplay. I didn't like the explanation for it and at times its presence really ruined any narrative going on. It would've been a lot better had it been a mobile camp.

I'd prefer if it was a transferable camp or flying fortress or whatever over what we got, but aside from that...

It's okay.  It's base-building lite.  Nothing all that intricate.  Maybe if I played the multiplayer stuff, I'd be a bigger fan of it.

No, I most certainly did not. Base building and crafting seem to appear everywhere at moment, and while I could sort of see it working in Fire Emblem if done really well, the fact that it has zero impact on the story just made it superfluous, as if it were just there because it's popular in other modern titles. 

Any value from My Castle could just be a menu. Why do I need to walk around and build things when I could just select it from a drop down list? Resources suck and made forging a joke. Imo PoR/RD had the a near perfect system for in between chapter management, aside from chapter specific item sales.

Yeah I liked it, I see that some people didn't liked the explanation of it existence but hey, it have more sense than the godamn barracks from Awakening ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  (How did the barracks even worked?), is still a bad explanation I know, I think the same lol

But anyway, I liked the idea of "building" the castle and watching my units expending their time on it, working and talking... It was just... Cute? I don't know, I liked it! They can make this feathure better for a future game, or so I hope

Kind of...?

I liked being able to interact with your units and I liked being able to visit the armories and shops but I think it should have appeared as a Base Camp and not a fortifed location. The food bonuses was great but it didn't seem like everyone in the army was eating at any given time. Additionally, it also felt like there were no guards placeable from your own army. It didn't feel very alive as a hubworld is what I guess I'm trying to say.

Edited by Light Strategist

I guess being able to build and decorate a place of your own is pretty fun, and listening to/reading various allies talk amongst themselves was entertaining, but I would have preferred something other than a pocket dimension which had a poor explanation for existing. A small camp would've worked a lot better in my opinion. There could've been a bit more role assignment too, like a specific person to be assigned to the mess hall/smithy/food harvesting and so on. However, having the option to place various shops and facilities wherever you pleased is enjoyable.

I didn't really care too much for how My Castle was implemented, for one thing it felt like you were in your own little world, a safezone that was cut off from the real world whereas I would have preferred if the My Castle actually existed in the Fates world. Perhaps you're in one of Xander's personal fortresses for instance or the castle was a gift from Garon as recognition that you were both a noble and entering into the Nohrian army.

Additionally I thought a lot of the My Castle features were cluttered with aspects that did not contribute to the game or story. I would have preferred if the Arena functioned either like the GBA or FE4 arena (you get EXP and gold), also I would have liked more of a Castle Town look as opposed to the sandboxie look that My Castle has. I think the Arena, Weapon and Item Shops and Forge all belonged but everything else felt like excessive clutter and of no importance. And I really hate the forging system that Fates has, can we go back to Shadow Dragon's or Radiant Dawn's please? Even Awakening had a better forging system! Actually Awakening's is very solid I just hold SD' and RD's to be better due to the amount of player control those have when it comes to what get's improved and how much and where you can choose a color for your weapon.

On 11/1/2017 at 11:54 AM, MCProductions said:

Berwick Saga did it first and better

Thanks for reminding me we don't have a translation yet. The game looks so radically different from standard FE, but fun! I really want to try it.

On 11/1/2017 at 4:01 PM, Centh said:

Imo PoR/RD had the a near perfect system for in between chapter management, aside from chapter specific item sales.

Well the Bargains of RD were good, non Bargain variation was bad though.

By the way, PoR was originally going to have proto-My Castle, as the "Making of Fire Emblem" book mentions:

Spoiler

To start things off, the plans for the Base system, which players could access between chapters to manage their armies and relationships, originally included greater depth.

One of the more novel ideas was that the base would be an actual map–possibly of the Greil Mercenaries’ Fort–that the player could physically move around (as Ike) to speak to characters and access the various facilities. Basically, like Fates‘s My Castle.

We should mention that it’s not surprising to see abandoned ideas recycled later on, especially as hardware improves and developers become more experienced. It’s even possible that this concept of a base that could be explored originated far earlier…

Anyway, the facilities included:

• War Room: This is where you select the characters to participate in the next map and confirm (i.e. start) the next map.
  • Convoy: Here, you can deposit unwanted items, use items, discard items or trade items between characters.
  • Barracks: Features various game settings and the ability to save your game. Exact components undecided.
  • Records Hall: View the status of characters, the Mercenaries Log (your play records), character relationship chart and Memorial Hall (unlocked after completing the game).
  • Armoury, Vendor, Forge, Arena and Auction Hall

(In addition, there would be shortcuts to quickly get to each facility, presumably via a menu.)

Some of these–like the armoury, vendor and forge–appear in the final game, while others are just fancy variations. However the character relationship chart wasn’t established until the next game and the Arena ultimately got the axe.

As for the Auction Hall, no details were given (because the factsheet ended abruptly after the Records Hall), but perhaps it was a way to bid for rare items? Or maybe even a way to bid for new mercenaries? We can only imagine.

My Castle is okay-ish. Plot-wise it's a bad idea. The battles be it generic fixed 3 encounters or PvP are never fun. It is much better than Awakening's world map when it comes to shopping, and cooking isn't bad later on when you can get everyone buffed, the Lottery worked. But I wasn't fond of forging in this game, nor was I of the arena or Lilith or the Hot Springs, Private Quarters, or Accessory Shop- since I didn't pay attention to character models- the 3DS not being a graphics machine. Visually, I liked the different castle layouts, if not the limited selection of things to place inside the castle.

Either flesh the idea out more, or just go back to the Tellius solution.

I really like it on concept and gameplay, but I agree that plotwise it was really weird in Fates. I do want it in future games if done proper, as in make it look more like an actual set-up camp instead of a pocket dimension, and make it available only in between chapters where it makes sense (it shouldn't be available in moments where you're on the run).

I'd go so far as to say it was my favorite thing about Fates, but I also have a very low opinion of the game(s) as a whole. I loved the concept and it's something I'd been wanting since PoR, but I do agree that the explanation was rather dumb and that it could be fleshed out more. On a side note, I forgot Fates even had forging.

I really liked it; it was a lot of fun being able to customize your base and wander about your, er, castle. So gameplaywise, I enjoyed it. But yes, plotwise, it had no point nor made any sense. But it could be argued that it was merely one of the many victims of Fates's poor storytelling, and it could have been better implemented if the pocket dimension was better explained or it was something else, like a moving base camp.

15 hours ago, GreenDragon17 said:

I thought it was pretty nifty. Maybe if they added more features it would have been better, but the whole eating thing was kind of interesting i guess. Would love to see it return in a future fe game with more stuff to do around the area.

Actually, I would too. As long as the arena is fixed, I'd like a little hub area to roam around in, or anything to advert time or to think of a strategy while listening to the OST in game. 

2 hours ago, Kazuya said:

Actually, I would too. As long as the arena is fixed, I'd like a little hub area to roam around in, or anything to advert time or to think of a strategy while listening to the OST in game. 

Yeah being able to actually walk around is a plus. The 3ds had limitations obviously but Id love to do that. The best part was the ost and the multiplayer capture functions.

I know I might be treading old ground, but I really feel like the My Castle completely fails to integrate into the story in any meaningful way. For the same reason I don't like Lilith, it feels... tacked on. Unnecessary. And in terms of writing, just reeking of convenience. It's there because the developers wanted it there. Internal Logic be damned.

As for its functionality, it's... okay? I mean, it does its job as well as anyone could hope, though some of the buildings seem unnecessary at best. I get that people like to imagine walking in on their anime crushes in a hot spring, but do we really need that in a game that's already being derided as Waifu Emblem II?

• 2 weeks later...

I actually really loved the My Castle option. I thought it was really fun to set up shops and found them to be useful. I also thought being able to talk with your allies was nice because I wanted more interactions with characters anyway. I hope to see this feature in future games, but I hope that they expand upon it. I felt the castle needed more space to be able to include more buildings at a time, and that there needed to be more options for stuff to do in the castles. All in all, My Castle was a nice feature and I ended up spending most of my time there.