• Paladin.
    • General.
    • Great Knight.
  3. 3. What should Ewan turn into?

• Sage.
    • Mage Knight.
    • Druid.
    • Summoner.

Berserker, because it's actually on par with Hero statwise (and ahead of Warrior), axelock isn't too big a deal, water- and peakwalking is always nice, so is the +15 crit, and promoting Colm is a waste anyway.

Paladin because the higher movement outweighs the higher stats and axe access of GK and General.

Mage Knight has very similar stats to Sage (+1 mag, -1 Def and Res), but higher movement and Con for the heavier tomes. Dark magic is shite in FE8, Gleipnir doesn't even deal effective damage against monsters, so Druid is worse than the Anima classes.

Ross: Rosszerker for pretty much the reasons @ping stated (except for the whole "promoting Colm is a waste" part because I'm a sucker for promoting thieves)

Amelia: Paladin due to higher movement than the other two classes, which also makes it easier for her to get supports with someone like Franz and Duessel.

Ewan: Druid, although my reason for this is mostly because I like diversity in my team. I mean, you already got Lute who can be Sage or Mage Knight, Saleh the Sage, and Knoll as either Summoner or Druid. Besides, he's pretty useful as Druid in my opinion, and you can at least make him a staffbot since dark magic isn't that great as Anima or Light. 

Ross: Hero, because it get him some speed (while this could also be said of Berserker, there's the part where promoting a Pirate requires an Ocean Seal, of which there's only one, and said item can also promote a Thief).

Amelia: Paladin for the extra movement.

Ewan: Sage, since dark magic access isn't that useful, and the legendary dark tome sucks too.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

7 hours ago, ping said:

Berserker, because it's actually on par with Hero statwise (and ahead of Warrior), axelock isn't too big a deal, water- and peakwalking is always nice, so is the +15 crit, and promoting Colm is a waste anyway.

It's certainly less of a waste than promoting Ross.

That said if you want to use both Ross isn't likely to promote before the Chapter 15 Master Seal.

Ross: Hero. More speed, access to swords (Honestly a personal preference). Also, you only get one ocean seal in game (Not including secret shops) and I think that is better used for Colm.

Amelia: Paladin. Better movement. Yeah it's not the best for post-game compared to General, but if you intend on using her during the main game, it will be a slog with General.

Ewan: Sage. Dark magic sucks as does the legendary weapon. You could also argue Mage Knight, but I prefer Sage as my Ewan as a Sage tends to have more damage output.

Ross: I'd prefer Berserker via having him as a pirate. That way he gets ultimate movement availability (sea + mountains) Plus they can crit like crazy.

Amelia: Paladin- mainly because the other 2 aren't that great in SS...

Ewan: Can't go wrong. Dark magic lowkey sucks, but has its niches. However, sage and mage knight would be better if you want him as a frontline fighter. Can't go wrong though.

15 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

It's certainly less of a waste than promoting Ross.

That said if you want to use both Ross isn't likely to promote before the Chapter 15 Master Seal.

Eh, Ross comes early enough to catch up without needing unreasonable effort, while Colm does what he's supposed to do just fine without a promotion and his combat isn't exactly stellar after promotion. I'm not saying that Ross is better/more valuable than Colm, but I would say that he gains more from a promotion.

For Ross I would advise Hero because of how Ross levels up, where his stats tend to be more well rounded vs excelling in Str and Sp. Now Berserker is certainly still a good option I've made him one myself before but I think Hero would suit him better.

In Regards to Amelia my advice would be either Paladin or Great Knight but leaning more towards Paladin. Amelia tends to have level ups more typical of a Paladin, Skill, Sp etc vs a Great Knight (str and def). Now either one will serve Amelia well, but I would definitely recommend Paladin for Amelia

For Ewan, I prefer Druid because Druids look awesome and can wield Dark Magic, however I think Mage Knight is also a great option. As it allows Ewan to get around some of the bigger maps better, and wielding staves will give him a little more versatility.

In Conclusion for Ross I would advise either Hero or Berserker, Amelia go either Paladin or Great Knight and for Ewan Druid or Mage Knight

17 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Ross: I'd prefer Berserker via having him as a pirate. That way he gets ultimate movement availability (sea + mountains) Plus they can crit like crazy.

Amelia: Paladin- mainly because the other 2 aren't that great in SS...

Ewan: Can't go wrong. Dark magic lowkey sucks, but has its niches. However, sage and mage knight would be better if you want him as a frontline fighter. Can't go wrong though.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I'm not sure that I'd consider Berserkers' "ultimate movement ability" useful, especially since it's just way too niche (sea terrain shows up in what, Eirika chapter 9, and that's it? Being able to traverse mountain peaks isn't much better). And I'm struggling to think of any niches for dark magic use, especially since Luna was nerfed to the point of unusability.

6 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I'm not sure that I'd consider Berserkers' "ultimate movement ability" useful, especially since it's just way too niche (sea terrain shows up in what, Eirika chapter 9, and that's it? Being able to traverse mountain peaks isn't much better). And I'm struggling to think of any niches for dark magic use, especially since Luna was nerfed to the point of unusability.

I just like the movement ability for the sake of having it. It's cool in theory. Tbh, I'd rather have units I think are cool rather than completely optimal, especially in SS, where they don't need to be optimal to be good, since SS isn't too hard.

For dark magic use, I was thinking about how the summoner can essentially summon meat shields to take blows for you. SS is easy enough to where it's not necessary though. I do find it useful for harder difficulties though in certain situations.

On 11/6/2017 at 12:28 AM, ping said:

Eh, Ross comes early enough to catch up without needing unreasonable effort, while Colm does what he's supposed to do just fine without a promotion and his combat isn't exactly stellar after promotion. I'm not saying that Ross is better/more valuable than Colm, but I would say that he gains more from a promotion.

You're underrating Colm's combat, or overrating Ross's, or both. Remember that Colm gets 1.5x exp, in addition to his huge headstart, so he'll always have a big level lead. He'll have massive leads in speed and evade (read: durability, since we're playing Sacred Stones and enemy hit is very low). His attack is only middling (particularly if Neimi isn't in play), so it's fine if you want to describe his combat as "not stellar"... but Ross of the shaky speed and accuracy certainly isn't either.

I just lost a rather long post to internet hiccups, and I don't feel like looking up all the numbers again. The TL;DR:

Ross has a better long-term support option in Garcia (growing at +4, and Garcia is way better than Neimi), which can help his accuracy quite a bit (B support will even out the lower axe accuracy, and Ross has slightly higher Skl/Lck than Colm) and his damage rolls are ~10 points higher than Colm's. Colm's potential XP lead will shift that to his favour, but if Ross doubles, his sheer damage output is really good, making a speedwing for him more impactful than an energy ring for Colm. (and when wielding Garm, he'll get +5 Spd anyway) Basically, while both of them are kinda meh unless you pamper them, I'd say that Ross makes more out of the pampering than Colm, who as far as I'm concerned is more valuable for his thief utility which he doesn't need the promotion for.

I will say that if you do want to use Colm as a combat unit, Fighter->Hero is basically on par with Berserker for Ross, or even slightly better given that Heroes get Killing Edge access instantly. I just prefer Berserker for the uniqueness, even though water- and peakwalking is only relevant like 3 or 4 times in the game.

I've always made Ross a Berserker, Amelia a Great Knight, and Ewan a Druid because those are just my favorite classes out of their sets.

Hero's great, but Berserker gets extra crit, and its not like when you have Axes you need swords anyways because even the dodgiest swordmaster dies to a Swordreaver/slayer immediately.

I understand that Paladin's 8 move just knocks Great Knight and General out of the park, but I just like axes too much to stop myself from making Amelia(my baby child who i love so much) into a Great Knight. Plus, her Knight promotion gains help offset her generally low defense.

Ewan I find is pretty much trash no matter what you make him into. I just make him Druid because as bad as Ewan is, Knoll is worse.

On November 8, 2017 at 4:50 AM, ping said:

I just lost a rather long post to internet hiccups, and I don't feel like looking up all the numbers again. The TL;DR:

Ross has a better long-term support option in Garcia (growing at +4, and Garcia is way better than Neimi), which can help his accuracy quite a bit (B support will even out the lower axe accuracy, and Ross has slightly higher Skl/Lck than Colm) and his damage rolls are ~10 points higher than Colm's. Colm's potential XP lead will shift that to his favour, but if Ross doubles, his sheer damage output is really good, making a speedwing for him more impactful than an energy ring for Colm. (and when wielding Garm, he'll get +5 Spd anyway) Basically, while both of them are kinda meh unless you pamper them, I'd say that Ross makes more out of the pampering than Colm, who as far as I'm concerned is more valuable for his thief utility which he doesn't need the promotion for.

I will say that if you do want to use Colm as a combat unit, Fighter->Hero is basically on par with Berserker for Ross, or even slightly better given that Heroes get Killing Edge access instantly. I just prefer Berserker for the uniqueness, even though water- and peakwalking is only relevant like 3 or 4 times in the game.

You gotta admit, if you're having Ross and Garcia support, you're also fielding two slowpokes that are going to be competing over Garm...

On November 6, 2017 at 5:13 PM, Dandy Druid said:

I just like the movement ability for the sake of having it. It's cool in theory. Tbh, I'd rather have units I think are cool rather than completely optimal, especially in SS, where they don't need to be optimal to be good, since SS isn't too hard.

For dark magic use, I was thinking about how the summoner can essentially summon meat shields to take blows for you. SS is easy enough to where it's not necessary though. I do find it useful for harder difficulties though in certain situations.

Fair enough on Summoner. As for cool vs optimal, it kinda depends - even with SS being easy as it is, I tend to go for practicality.

2 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

You gotta admit, if you're having Ross and Garcia support, you're also fielding two slowpokes that are going to be competing over Garm...

Well, if you field Neimi, you're fielding Neimi. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Garcia at least got 7 speed base and a +2 bonus if you promote him, so it's not even that terrible. I'm not saying that I'd advice to field both of them until endgame, but Garcia's nay bad as a filler unit even if you don't want to spend a Hero Crest on him.

5 hours ago, DestructionDragon360 said:

I understand that Paladin's 8 move just knocks Great Knight and General out of the park, but I just like axes too much to stop myself from making Amelia(my baby child who i love so much) into a Great Knight. Plus, her Knight promotion gains help offset her generally low defense.

I'd highly recommend Cav->GK if you want to go that route. +2 Defense might be nice, but 7 movement vs. 4 movement is an even bigger deal than Paladin vs. General. Not to mention that she also gets a sword rank earlier, even if it's just an E.

Ross: Berserker. C'mon, are you really gonna use Dozla...?

Amelia: General or Paladin. She's honestly not too great, but if you're set on using her, go with mobility.

Ewan: Summoner if you feel like phantom-baiting. Otherwise go Druid.

On 11/9/2017 at 1:50 PM, ping said:

Well, if you field Neimi, you're fielding Neimi. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Garcia at least got 7 speed base and a +2 bonus if you promote him, so it's not even that terrible. I'm not saying that I'd advice to field both of them until endgame, but Garcia's nay bad as a filler unit even if you don't want to spend a Hero Crest on him.

Fielding Neimi is one thing, but I'm not sure I'd consider fielding two slow fighters that also happen to have shaky accuracy much better. 

6 hours ago, ping said:

I don't consider Neimi to be nearly as good as Garcia, so rest assured that fielding him over her is indeed much better.

And I don't consider Garcia of the shaky speed and accuracy nearly as good as you do - all he has going for him is Strength and HP. He might be better than Neimi, but "much better" is a stretch, as I see it - we ARE talking about a GBA fighter, after all.

Well, at least you're aware that you're biased.

Garcia has a higher base speed than Neimi. At 15/1, he is only one point slower than Kyle (and since 9 points of his speed come from his base stat + promo bonus, it's not "shaky", either). He even picks up a sword rank if you have a phobia against low hitrates (and it's a C rank, so he can instantly use Killing Edges). There is some opportunity cost in fielding both Ross and Garcia at the same time, since both could use Garm to dramatically improve their offensive power, but it's not like they lose all utility without it and become as bad as, say, Neimi. 1-2 range is still A Thing axe users can do, and it's actually relatively good in Sacred Stones.

Seriously, I know that you dislike axes and axe users in general, but calling Garcia "much better" than Neimi is not a stretch by any means. One is an above-average unit, the other one is somewhere in the bottom five of the game. That's enough difference to justify a "much".

2 hours ago, ping said:

Well, at least you're aware that you're biased.

Garcia has a higher base speed than Neimi. At 15/1, he is only one point slower than Kyle (and since 9 points of his speed come from his base stat + promo bonus, it's not "shaky", either). He even picks up a sword rank if you have a phobia against low hitrates (and it's a C rank, so he can instantly use Killing Edges). There is some opportunity cost in fielding both Ross and Garcia at the same time, since both could use Garm to dramatically improve their offensive power, but it's not like they lose all utility without it and become as bad as, say, Neimi. 1-2 range is still A Thing axe users can do, and it's actually relatively good in Sacred Stones.

Seriously, I know that you dislike axes and axe users in general, but calling Garcia "much better" than Neimi is not a stretch by any means. One is an above-average unit, the other one is somewhere in the bottom five of the game. That's enough difference to justify a "much".

I won't deny that I'm biased - there's no point in doing so. However, your point about me being biased against axe users in general needs correction - I dislike infantry axe users, because frankly, most of them tend to be mediocre at best to outright bad at worst, and Garcia is no exception to this (the only exceptions to "infantry axe users are ass" I've seen are PoR Boyd, Nolan, and Barst). And I'll admit, 1-2 range is a thing, but when you're as slow as Garcia, you only get one shot against most anything that's not either among the slowest of the slow or weighed down. Also, Garm doesn't come into play until the last quarter of the game. So frankly, I don't really see why Garcia would make a good Hero Crest recipient when I could just use Gerik, who's got much more than just HP and Strength going for him.