The Eighth Gauntlet

bethany81707

Since this is the first one to be written/released, I should explain this. This is a concept for the Voting Gauntlet in-universe that, since there's a gauntlet on now, I figured I might try and write one. I have concepts for how the other seven go, and some of this story will reference those, but I don't place those other concepts as an immediate priority. Hopefully, as the references appear, they should either be self-explanatory or non-intrusive- and if not, I can always explain it later.

Also, be warned: there are probably minor and/or major spoilers in Soren's introduction. I'm a huge Tellius nerd, couldn't resist.

---

“Another Gauntlet?” Ephraim asked, noticing the display on the bulletin board. He did not recall any build-up to the event. Tana giggled.

“Oh, Beth whipped this one up to have some fun… and she wanted a few fighters from it,” Tana explained to him. Ephraim nodded, and looked at the brackets.

Katarina, Amelia, Hinoka, Shanna, Ryoma, Karel, Soren, Takumi. The short-haired ladies versus the long haired gents. Bethany sure had a sense of humour.

Team Katarina

Katarina looked at her invitation to the Gauntlet in vague shock. She had never expected she’d be considered… she never thought she’d be wanted. But no, she was not only invited, but Bethany said she had a lot of support from a lot of Summoners. For now, it was time for her to pick her teammates- and thankfully, the choice was easy.

“Clarisse?” Katarina asked, looking up. Clarisse looked up from polishing her bow, hiding her pride in her sister behind her usual mask. As much as she wanted to feel proud of Kat for making it into a Gauntlet, she knew that Beth had an ulterior motive. There was always an ulterior motive- no way were they getting picked for the sake of it.

“Will you be one of my teammates?” Katarina asked. Clarisse nodded gruffly, returning to her bow. Katarina smiled, and stood up to find her second partner.

“Kat, take Legion. We’ve got to be careful. Could be a trap,” Clarisse told her without looking up.

“How could it be a trap? If Beth wanted us hurt, she could do it anytime,” Katarina responded.

“I don’t mean physically,” Clarisse said bluntly. Katarina made to retort, before recognising the truth in her words- the backlashes previous participants had from other Summoners had gotten astounding.

“I’ll keep that in mind. Legion would be nice to have,” Katarina told her, leaving the room.

“...Plus, he’ll appreciate the attention,” Clarisse muttered, returning to her bow.

Team Amelia

“Hey guys! I’m in a Gauntlet!” Amelia exclaimed, holding up her letter in excitement to her companions. Ross went to give her a rough hug, but Ewan darted in and threw his arms around her first. Amelia laughed, letting one arm drop around him while the other went to comfort Ross. Franz was simply laughing at the three.

“So who are your companions going to be?” Ross asked. Amelia considered the matter briefly.

“...I think I’m gonna do you and Ewan,” Amelia told him. Ewan let out a whoop, still held tightly around Amelia.

“What, no me? But Ross is an axe user like yourself!” Franz pointed out.

“Admittedly, that’s slightly annoying. But I think it’s only right I bring along us three- the three little untrained squirts,” Amelia explained. Franz nodded.

“Well, good luck. I’ll bake a victory cake and a consolation cake for your return,” Franz told her. Amelia laughed.

“If our odds weren’t looking that uncertain, I’d throw something at you,” Amelia joked.

Team Hinoka

Hinoka burst in on Takumi and Sakura, fuming after her encounter with her retainers.

“Literally useless. Don’t know why Beth’s so eager to have more of Setsuna around,” Hinoka fumed. Immediately, Takumi recognised what happened.

“Did you tell her that she’s not banned this time?” Takumi asked.

“Yeah. But you’d think at least Azama would be up for it. But no, he prefers mocking the participants. I’m honestly fed up with it either way. Mind if I borrow your retainers again?” Hinoka asked. Takumi blinked.

“I’d be down with that, but I’m in this Gauntlet too, you know?” Takumi asked. Hinoka blinked, and checked the letter.

“...Oops, sorry…” Hinoka muttered.

“That’s all right, Hinoka… I can ask if Hana and Subaki are OK with joining you. We’ve had a few Gauntlets under our belt, plus Subaki will appreciate your support,” Sakura told her. Hinoka scoffed.

“Hone Fliers. Just because pegasi under my command are that much better, I’m coveted not for my skill, but so other people can learn my talents? I’m flattered, but I’ll show ‘em. There’s more to Princess Hinoka than Hone Fliers,” Hinoka grumbled. Sakura smiled.

“That’s the ticket, I think,” Sakura told her.

“...It’s really not,” Takumi added.

Team Shanna

Shanna was practically skipping on her way to the pegasus barracks. It was finally time for her to show her stuff, and showing up in a Gauntlet was a good way to do that. She made a beeline for her sisters, Juno and Thea, and brandished the letter.

“Guys, I got in!” Shanna exclaimed. Thea smiled, pulling her in, before Juno pulled both in. Shanna allowed the moment to last five seconds before she was jumping in excitement again.

“Guys, do you want to be my partners?” Shanna asked. Thea blinked.

“That… was a question?” Juno asked. Shanna squeed, and hugged the two again, before bounding back to, in all likelihood, tell Bethany who her partners were.

“...We can only hope we don’t get matched against a set of axes,” Thea remarked.

“We’ve got the Triangle Attack on our side to help us if that’s the case,” Juno remarked. Thea shrugged.

“I’ll go practice. But if one of us could sneak in a sword, that would be great,” Thea stated, scooping up a lance as she left. Juno felt her belly, her baby starting to move inside her.

“...Hopefully, you can, Thea. Although it’ll probably be me…” Juno remarked.

Team Ryoma

Ryoma looked at the letter thoughtfully. A Gauntlet, a chance to show his strength… but all he needed were a pair of teammates. He knew the obvious choice- Saizo and Kagero. But he was only so confident in bringing a pair of ninjas. Besides, bringing his retainers felt boring.

“My liege, is something the matter?” Kagero asked, as if on cue. Ryoma scanned the room, noticing Saizo still lying in wait, before responding.

“Should I bring you into the Gauntlet? I would trust you with my life, but… it’s almost uninspired, choosing the two people they’ll expect,” Ryoma asked.

“Doing the unexpected is our way, Ryoma… but if you do not mind, I would rather we join you on this first venture. There is little reason to consider otherwise,” Kagero pointed out.

“True… apart from you two, the only person that springs to mind is Scarlet. Maybe Sakura, make her feel better about being left out, but I don’t think I should be choosing anything less than my two trusted soldiers for the sake of it,” Ryoma proclaimed.

“Understood. The enemy will be expecting us- why not show them just why it is we are a team?” Kagero asked.

“Saizo, what do you think?” Ryoma asked. Saizo broke his cover, and bowed.

“I would like to fight in a Gauntlet for a man I trust. Plus, I must be redeemed for that… unfortunate showing earlier,” Saizo stated.

“No one blames you for that. If anything, you were too good, and got your team into a fight they would never win,” Ryoma remarked.

“But this time, my team will stand tall. Our only opponent of any merit is Team Takumi, and losing to him will feel like a battle worth remembering, rather than… Team Corrin…” Saizo muttered, shuddering.

“Then we must win, and recover that honour of yours,” Kagero snarked.

Team Karel

Karla smirked. Karel, in a Gauntlet. Bethany had an iron nerve, picking someone so insane in such a volatile cause.

“So you want me and Fir alongside you?” Karla asked.

“The three swordmasters, Wo Daos in hand… we shall turn our enemies into a very fine paste. And then, should any dissent rise… we need simply turn our swords on them!” Karel drawled. Karla considered it, preparing her response.

“I’m in. Sounds… fun,” Karla told him, trying her best to mimick Karel’s slobbery snarl when the full strength of his bloodlust brimmed to the surface. Karel’s glare was enough to tell her she didn’t have it.

“Is this Team Stabby?” a childish voice asked. Karel turned, to see a deranged-looking cavalier leaning against her lance. He blinked.

“This is family time, despite the murder we’re about to be doing. I have chosen my team,” Karel stated.

“Aw, that’s no fair. Peri wants to stab things, too!” Peri stated. Karel blinked.

“You’ve had a Gauntlet. Fir hasn’t. I think it’s Fir’s turn,” Karel remarked.

“NO! I JOIN TEAM STABBY!” Peri started.

“But…” Karla started.

“BIKINI STABBY NOT SAME! I JOIN TEAM STABBY!” Peri repeated. Karel sighed.

“Very well. Just let it be known that when we lose, I will cut you to shreds,” Karel growled.

“YAY! Peri get to stab people! Not like stupid beach stabs…” Peri cheered.

“...I’m almost grateful Fir isn’t here…” Karla muttered under her breath.

Team Takumi

Takumi looked between Hinata and Oboro. Both had an excited grin on their faces, readying their blades.

“So… who we starting against?” Hinata asked.

“Team Karel. A fierce warrior,” Takumi stated.

“But he’s not one for cunning… we’ll show you, Takumi! We’ll make it past the first round or put up a better fight than we did with Hinoka!” Oboro proclaimed.

“I’m sure you will. But we mustn’t underestimate Team Karel. Ferocity can overcome cunning in great amounts,” Takumi reminded them.

“Pah. Then we just need to be ferocious back. And I reckon we can do that,” Oboro told him.

“I’m made of Fury!” Hinata added. Takumi let out a smile.

“You’re right. We’re gonna win this. After all, I’m coveted by summoners!” Takumi proclaimed.

Team Soren

Soren smirked. A Gauntlet. He was keen to fight in one of those again. He didn’t even need to think about his first partner- Ike had already accepted his request. But it was his second partner that stumped him. He only ever really counted on Ike- but now he needed to find another ally. His eyes drifted as he bumped into Micaiah, sending both staggering.

“Apologies, milady,” Soren remarked, righting himself first, and holding up Micaiah.

“No, no, it’s all me… wait, you’re that Branded boy, Soren, right?” Micaiah asked.

“Yes,” Soren told her, ready to leave as soon as Micaiah was ready.

“Pelleas told me about who you are,” Micaiah told him. Soren stared at her, and Micaiah’s gaze told him that she expected a reaction.

“I have no idea who Pelleas thinks I am,” Soren said truthfully.

“It’s… he knows your father, Soren,” Micaiah told him. Soren nodded.

“I see. But I do not care about a man who would abandon me to my life before Ike. I’m afraid we have little else to discuss,” Soren told her.

“You’re… you should be where I am,” Micaiah stated.

“No, I shouldn’t. I would be smarter than that,” Soren told her.

“Not that… you’re a prince,” Micaiah told him flat out.

“Well, good thing royalty suits me about as well as it suits Ike,” Soren claimed. Micaiah chuckled.

“...You know, I heard you’re looking for an ally on that Gauntlet thing. Mind if I sneak in, show them Daein’s might?” Micaiah asked. Soren shrugged.

“...Only because I don’t feel like looking any further. But I should inform you that Ike is Daein enough,” Soren stated. Micaiah laughed.

“Neither of us were born there. I’m the one with Daein pride. I think I’m different enough,” Micaiah claimed.

“...Mind if we have a chat about our family trees, then? I’m actually… I’m kinda lost, now,” Soren chuckled. Micaiah giggled.

Team Katarina vs Team Amelia

“Welcome to Round 1, Battle 1 of the Eighth Gauntlet! On my left, from the continent of Archanea, the Wayward One Katarina and her companions, Clarisse and Legion… and Legion… and Legion…” Clair introduced. Katarina waved timidly as she approached, smiling weakly. Clarisse followed her very cautiously, while the Legions fanned out, brandishing their axes menacingly. Alm attempted to persuade the Legions to at least use the same axe, in the sense of something resembling fairness, but he was quickly chased away by two Legions and some Clarisse shots.

“..Ahem, and on my right, from the continent of Magvel, the Rose of the War Amelia and her companions Ross and Ewan,” Clair announced, allowing Amelia to clunk onto the field. Ross gave her a few cheeky shoves, while Ewan was dragging her back as well. Ewan looked at all the Legions making their arrival, and grinned. Somehow, he was excited.

“Captains, shake hands,” Clair called. Katarina and Amelia stepped forward, and the two shook.

“...I hope this goes well for us both,” Katarina mumbled. Amelia nodded vaguely. Clarisse’s hard glare was starting to scare her.

“...Begin!” Clair called. The Legions began charging immediately, and Amelia threw up her shield to block a few. Ewan stepped back, and prepared a few blasts of magic to knock the charging Legions backwards. Ross took to fighting them off in axe versus axe duels. Amelia looked up at Clarisse, who was preparing a few arrows. Amelia thrust a few axes into the Legions, grateful the bunch weren’t persistent opponents. Clarisse threw her arm across Katarina, and began shooting at Amelia. Amelia blocked two shots while a third scraped by. Amelia threw her axe forward, missing Clarisse, but Amelia felt the thud through the axe’s chain. Clarisse turned around, and noticed Katarina wounded behind her. She let out a growl, and began firing once more.

“Get away from Amelia!” Ewan called, lunging forward, and throwing down a blast of fire. Clarisse scoffed, bringing up her cloak to protect herself. While her arm was singed, her face remained free from burns.

“You’ll pay for that, you little runt…” Clarisse growled, her arrow striking him squarely between the eyes. Ewan was down. Ross growled, and tossed his axe like a hatchet, striking Clarisse and sending her reeling. Katarina looked at Amelia steadily.

“You and me…” Katarina mumbled, holding up her hands. Legions amassed around her, powering up her Rauðrowl. Amelia grunted, as Ross tossed her another hatchet. The owls descended upon her, and she closed her eyes and tossed the hatchet, bracing herself…

“The battle was close, but the victor is Rose of the War Amelia!” Clair declared. The battle over, Ewan and Clarisse hopped back up, and Legion’s many brothers disappeared. Clarisse, unable to do so impressively, simply strode away in contempt.

“Good match, Katarina. You had me worried there,” Amelia told her. Katarina smiled.

“You’re not a bad fighter Amelia… I reckon I’ll hop on board this team,” Katarina remarked, holding out her hand. Amelia shook it proudly.

Team Hinoka versus Team Shanna

“Welcome to Round 1, Battle 2 of the Eighth Gauntlet! On my left, hailing from the continent of Moirai, the Warrior Princess Hinoka and her partners Hana and Subaki!” Florina exclaimed. Amidst her applause was vague mutterings, but Azama’s cheers left it explained. Hinoka scowled as she dismounted her pegasus for the opening. Subaki remained mounted and ready, while Hana practiced her unsheathing.

“On my right, hailing from the continent of Elibe, the Sprightly Flier Shanna and her sisters Thea and Juno!” Florina added. Shanna, Thea and Juno flew onto the field in a triangle formation, from which Shanna jumped off and landed, with a bit of a run-up, to the centre.

“Captains, shake hands, please!” Florina called. Shanna’s vigorous shake caught Hinoka off guard, but she was prepared to match once she was ready. A brief pause was allowed for both riders to mount their pegasi. Everyone but Hana was to take to the skies.

“...Begin!” Florina called. Immediately, Hinoka and Shanna lunged forward, doing battle with each other in an intricate duel of strike and counter-strike, each blow sending them further and further into the sky. They knew that going too high would prevent the crowd from seeing them, but in the heat of battle, neither of them cared- besides, the popularity benefits would fade from both opponents, so they were ready to take the chance.

Thea and Juno looked between each other, readying their lances. Subaki charged forward, allowing Thea to lunge. The two lunged between each other, Hana readying a flank, only to see Juno keeping her at bay. Although Juno was getting slow in her pregnancy, her pegasus’s turns of speed were scary enough.

“Something’s gotta give,” Hana stated, looking around for what that might be. Thea jolted back, giving Hana an idea. She charged forward, quickly sidestepping Juno’s counter-attack, and brought her sword down on where Thea jumped too… only for Thea to have lunged forward, having prepared a critical strike to send Subaki reeling. Out of position, Hana suddenly found Juno keeping her from getting back to Subaki’s side.

“Goddamn it, Subaki…” Hana muttered, looking up. She noticed one of the riders had fallen, and dropped her sword to attempt to catch them. She jumped out of the way at the last second, though, as Hinoka almost landed on her head. Hinoka pulled herself from the dirt with great difficulty, and grabbed her lance as it fell beside her.

“Where is she? I’ll show her!” Hinoka yelled.

“Omigosh, are you all right, do you need help, how can I help, do you need help?” Shanna asked, plunging down. Hinoka lunged, and Shanna reflexively parried- knocking the lance out of Hinoka’s hand.

“The victor is Sprightly Flier Shanna!” Florina called. Hinoka growled, but the match was over- there was little more she could do.

“That was fun! Did you find it fun?” Shanna asked, holding out her hand.

“...I’m gonna go join one of my brothers,” Hinoka growled, turning and leaving her. Shanna turned to Hana, who was more than happy to give her a shake before following Hinoka.

Team Takumi versus Team Karel

“Welcome to Round 1, Battle 3 of the Eighth Gauntlet! On my left, from the continent of Moirai, the Wild Card Takumi and his retainers Hinata and Oboro!” Tana cheered, as Takumi strode forward standoffishly. The Fujin Yumi sat in his left hand, drawn and already ready- especially considering all he needed to put an arrow on it was his mind. Hinata and Oboro, too, had weapons drawn, but there were held loosely by comparison.

“And on my right, from the continent of Elibe, the Sword Demon Karel and his family, Karla and… wait, you didn’t put Peri on the form!” Tana yelled indignantly, as Karel strode onto the field snarling.

“I tried…” Karel told her. Fir was cheering him on, at least, which brought him comfort. But still, he remained rather annoyed.

“All right… Captains, if you’d please?” Tana asked. Takumi and Karel’s handshake was brief, both hesitant to touch the other.

“Royal scum,” Karel hissed.

“Savage beast,” Takumi responded in kind.

“...Begin!” Tana called. Karel stepped back, and immediately struck Peri’s horse before darting beyond Takumi. Takumi was stuck between Karel and his immediate duel with Hinata and being worried about the approach of Karla at a traditional speed. Oboro stepped forward, and took it to take Karla. Takumi nodded, turning to Hinata- the probably more worrying fight. He was holding on, but it was clear that his furious style wouldn’t work against Karel. Takumi fired a shot, only for Karel to hear the approach and disappear. The arrow hit Hinata, sending him into the dirt. Takumi growled, scanning for Karel, only to hear Karla call from behind him. Somehow, she had managed to bring her sword to Oboro’s throat.

“...Scum!” Oboro grunted.

“Also pointless, since you have no leverage in this environment,” Takumi chuckled, shooting Karla in the hand. Oboro could quickly push the sword away and grunt ‘Karel’, but Takumi heard the beast anyway. A quick pivot allowed him to strike Karel at point-blank range.

“...The round is over. The victor is Wild Card Takumi!” Tana proclaimed. Karel growled, storming from the arena, leaving Peri to cry.

“...You wouldn’t really have shot at me if we weren’t invulnerable here, right?” Oboro asked.

“I need to practice shooting to disable somewhere, don’t I? That reminds me, I’m probably going to need a bow that’s less murderous for that…” Takumi muttered.

“You think?” Hinata asked from the ground.

Team Soren versus Team Ryoma

“Welcome to Round 1, Battle 4 of the Eighth Gauntlet! On my left, from my home continent of Tellius, we have the Shrewd Strategist Soren, and his allies Ike and Micaiah!” Elincia called. Ike hefted his sword over his shoulder, while Soren and Micaiah had a magic show prepared as practice.

“And on my right, from the continent of Moirai, we have the Peerless Samurai Ryoma and his retainers Saizo and Kagero!” Elincia continued. Ryoma introduced himself with a bolt of lightning and the ninjas seemingly appearing from it. Micaiah was startled, but Soren saw through the smoke and mirrors immediately.

“Captains, please shake hands,” Elincia ordered. Soren and Ryoma were cordial in their arrangement, but both eyes glinted with the fierce rivalry of the fight to come.

“No hard feelings about the loss,” Ryoma muttered.

“Don’t count on it,” Soren replied.

“And… begin!” Elincia called. Soren soared into the skies on a draft of wind, dispelling Ryoma’s thunder blast, as Ike charged forward. Ryoma prepared another blast of lightning, which Ragnell took with aplomb. Ryoma’s jaw dropped, but Ike merely grinned.

“Blessed by two goddesses. Your move,” Ike told him. Ryoma sent forward a flash of electricity. Ike let out a burst of fire.

“...Thunder beats fire,” Ryoma proclaimed, charging forward, and beginning the duel between the master swordsmen. The swift Ryoma versus the steady Ike- quite a few of the spectators, and Elincia herself, had shown up to this match merely to see this pairing as soon as they heard Soren picked Ike as a partner. Soren himself had no problem allowing the battle- it allowed him to smoke out Saizo and Kagero without distraction. Saizo appeared to his left, and Soren’s blast of Gronnblade repelled him. Soren growled, turning to Micaiah, whose blast of Thani did the same to Kagero.

“Damn ninjas,” Soren muttered.

“They’re almost as annoying as Sothe can be…” Micaiah muttered, her eyes widening. She looked at Ike, and then saw the two ninjas preparing a throw.

“Are you thinking what I’m thinking?” Soren asked.

“No idea, but if it involves helping Ike, I have a strong suspicion what you’re thinking, and I can help with that,” Micaiah told him.

“Good enough. GRONNBLADE!” Soren yelled.

“THANI!” Micaiah added, both shots blasting right at Ryoma. Ryoma leapt backwards, away from Ike, and both mages fired a second shot to push him further back. Ike used the respite to notice the ninjas, and spun around on the spot, a wreath of fire blasting towards them. Saizo took the blow with some grace, while Kagero was blasted into the wall.

“How…” Ryoma muttered.

“THANI!” Micaiah’s third spell shot Ryoma straight in the chest.

“...The battle is won. The victor is Shrewd Strategist Soren!” Elincia exclaimed. Soren stepped towards Ryoma, holding out his hand.

“No hard feelings for the loss?” Soren asked. Ryoma smirked, taking it.

“...None at all. But forgive me if I side with Takumi,” Ryoma told him.

“Don’t remind me. I’m looking forward to that fight…” Soren muttered.

Team Amelia versus Team Shanna

“Welcome to Round 2, Battle 1 of the Eighth Gauntlet! On my left, we have the Rose of the War Amelia!” Florina called out. Amelia clunked onto the battlefield, and let out a few punches of excitement. Ross and Ewan followed, just as pumped.

“And on my right, we have the Sprightly Flier Shanna!” Florina continued. Shanna shot down like a dart, waving her lance about excitedly, while Thea and Juno drifted down more elegantly. Shanna dismounted, and approached Amelia.

“Captains, shake hands, please!” Florina called. Amelia matched Shanna’s energy in the handshake, but she had to admit that she wasn’t so good at bouncing up and down in her heavy armour.

“Let’s have some fun here, right?” Amelia asked.

“Nothing but!” Shanna replied, and mounted her pegasus, and the three drew their weapons- Juno making sure to draw a sword to check the two axes.

“And… begin!” Florina called. Ross threw his hatchet right out the gate, which Shanna ducked and Thea parried. Shanna darted right over Amelia, and began stabbing at Ewan. Ross panicked, and started swinging to push her away. Thea darted forward, and stabbed at him to knock him away from Shanna. Amelia readied her axe, and started to make her approach. Juno soared over to in front of Amelia, and brandished her sword. She made darting lunges, not so much hoping for a critical strike, but moreso hoping she could push Amelia away from the other two.

Ross growled, Thea landing her third hit. Meanwhile, she was managing to slip through his swings. Admittedly, he hadn’t thought to grab another axe after he threw his first, but Thea certainly wasn’t giving him the opportunity to correct that mistake. He ducked, noticing Ewan’s magic appearing overhead, and Thea got struck in the back. Ross scampered away, drawing another hatchet. Thea darted forward, but Ross could catch her lunge and counter with the axe strike.

“Attack… ATTACK!” Thea heard from behind her. She turned around, noticing Ewan lying in the dirt, as Shanna lunged forward and hit Ross with a blast of cold. Thea quickly doubled up, knocking Ross down as well.

“Good going sis,” Thea told her, before the two turned to Juno. Juno was beginning to lose ground against the firmly stood Amelia. Shanna and Thea looked between each other, nodding. They darted to either side of Amelia, and locked lances over her head.

“TRIANGLE ATTACK!” Shanna called. Amelia gasped, and threw her axe into Shanna, knocking her down. Juno’s cold blast quickly put her in the same position. The two captains were knocked into the dirt. Shanna poked her head up, looking about.

“The battle is won! The victor is Sprightly Flier Shanna!” Florina called. Shanna jumped out of the dirt in sheer joy, and made an attempt at pulling up Amelia. Her heavy armour to her weak arms meant she fell to the ground, only kinda dislodging Amelia. Ross chuckled, and pulled Amelia up himself.

“You’ve got moxie, Shanna. I never expected you’d manage to make it as far as you have… you’ve got my vote,” Amelia told her. Shanna beamed.

“I’ve got this,” Shanna proclaimed, trying not to think about the powerful wind mage or archer that would win the other match.

Team Takumi versus Team Soren

“Welcome to Round 2, Battle 2 of the Eighth Gauntlet. On my left, we have the Wild Card Takumi!” Tana exclaimed. Takumi bowed, and looked forward. Hinata and Oboro drew their blades, and brandished them.

“On my right, we have the Shrewd Strategist Soren!” Tana added. Soren drifted in on a cloud of wind, while Ike and Micaiah simply walked into the arena.

“Captains, if you don’t mind,” Tana called. Takumi and Soren grabbed each other’s forearms, and shook firmly. Soren looked into Takumi’s eyes, and saw a calculating glare staring right back.

“Well, this is going to be fun,” Soren muttered.

“I was about to say the same thing,” Takumi replied.

“And… begin!” Tana exclaimed. Neither side moved, on the orders of the captains. But their weapons were readied- both Soren and Takumi were reading their opponents, looking for the weakness to exploit, the enemy’s trump card to avoid.

Soren looked at Takumi and saw nothing Ike couldn’t shrug off. Hinata, too, looked a poor match for Micaiah. It was Oboro who was more worrisome to him- deal with her, and Takumi would counterattack. Go for Takumi, and Oboro would shred through Ike with that lance.

Takumi looked at Soren’s group and agreed with his assessment on Ike. Micaiah was an easy target, and Soren fit somewhere in between the two extremes, but Ike was the figure he had to send out. Send forward Oboro to deflect him, and Soren could easily rend her. Hinata would be an easy match against Soren, but Micaiah would get the drop on him.

“...I did say begin,” Tana repeated.

“We know,” Soren and Takumi said in unison. It was Takumi who made the first move- shoot Micaiah. Soren let out a blast of wind magic in retaliation, knocking Takumi stunned, but the Fujin Yumi’s blast did much worse to Micaiah. Hinata charged forward, and Soren dodged backwards, avoiding Hinata’s initial swing. Ike swapped out with Soren, and caught his blade in Ragnell. Soren saw Oboro charging, and blasted a spell at her, dropping her to the ground. Soren nudged the winds, and Oboro’s body fell behind Hinata’s feet. Ike took the hint, and began pushing for some ground. Hinata heard Oboro’s thump behind him, feeling the dislodged dirt against his ankles, and knew he had to buckle down. Takumi brushed the winds from his eyes, and saw the new situation. He shot another Fujin Yumi blast at Soren, who adeptly dodged the beam. Soren put Hinata and Ike in between himself and Takumi, and dropped a Gronnblade spell onto Takumi’s position. Takumi still stood, but he didn’t seem to have figured out how to reach Soren without hitting Hinata. Ike pushed forward, and Soren suddenly realised that Takumi wasn’t about to try.

Not when Hinata was about to get out his way anyway.

“Ike! Takumi!” Soren called. Ike looked up, and sent a blast of Ragnell’s flames to quell Takumi’s Fujin Yumi bolt. The second one was not quelled, blasting into Ike and sending him reeling. Takumi’s eyes widened in surprise- he wasn’t quite aware that his Fujin Yumi was that powerful. Nonetheless, he was quick to fire a third bolt, which Soren ducked. When he looked up, he noticed that Hinata had taken advantage of Ike’s distraction to approach him.

*WHACK*

“The round is over. The victor is Wild Card Takumi!” Tana called. Soren shook off the daze, and Hinata helped him back up.

“I’m guessing you won because you took the first shot?” Soren asked. Takumi laughed.

“Don’t feel too bad. You’d probably have been the first target if you got off any of the strikes I would’ve done in your shoes,” Takumi told him.

“Heh. Well, good luck against the girl. Hopefully it’s Shanna,” Soren told him. Takumi chuckled.

Team Shanna versus Team Takumi

“Welcome, everyone, to the final round of the Eighth Gauntlet! On my left, everyone’s favourite user of the Desperation ability, the Sprightly Flier Shanna!” Tana exclaimed. Shanna flew on the field, waving her arms in joy. Thea and Juno followed behind, waving politely, but not energetically.

“And on my right, the archer with a grudge and the man with a plan, the Wild Card Takumi!” Tana exclaimed. Takumi smirked as he walked onto the field, Hinata and Oboro following boisterously. Takumi looked at the team of pegasi, and smirked.

“Captains, shake hands, if you don’t mind,” Tana ordered. Shanna jumped forward, and shook Takumi’s hand with boundless energy. Takumi took it surprisingly well, and smirked.

“No hard feelings, all right?” Takumi asked, waving the Fujin Yumi. Shanna winked.

“Oh, I’m gonna win, buddy,” Shanna responded.

“May your duel end with no hard feelings. And… begin!” Tana called. Takumi fired three bolts of Fujin Yumi right out the gate. Shanna deftly dodged it, Thea blocked it with Iote’s Shield, and Juno was knocked to the ground. Takumi smiled.

“I was wondering why they gave me three pegasus knights… this looks like a challenge. Hinata, step back… you’ll only slow them down,” Takumi ordered.

“Takumi!” Hinata called.

“Your sword!” Oboro yelled at him. Hinata conceded the point- deft as he was when he had the upper hand, he did not have it here, and he was indeed not going to be of immense value. Hinata stepped back, lying in wait for an opportunity, only for Thea to toss a javelin and drop him anyway.

“No surprises, Takumi,” Thea chuckled. She charged into Takumi, whose ability to counterattack at point-blank range was the only thing saving him from the chopping block- and even then, Iote’s Shield slowed down Thea’s damage. Shanna took to Oboro, who took a bit of time to prepare her frame of mind. Shanna opened with a flurry of strikes, setting Oboro back a tad, while leaving her with little room to prepare a strike. Once she noticed that, she gave a very short and sharp stab to attempt for some space. Shanna responded not by going back, but by going forward- her pegasus’s hooves kicked her in the face, dropping her to the ground. Shanna threw her lance down, finishing her off, before recollecting it. She turned to Takumi, who fired an impressive Fujin Yumi blast to push through Iote’s Shield and defeat Thea.

“So it’s just you and me, Shanna?” Takumi asked, setting an arrow on the Fujin Yumi. Shanna gulped.

“I’m not afraid of you, Takumi. Your time is up, your reign of terror long dead. I can do this… I will do this!” Shanna proclaimed, lunging forward. Takumi chuckled, and shot her down with the Fujin Yumi. Shanna was sent forward, into the dirt in front of him, while her pegasus went to crash to one side. Takumi looked up at Tana.

“The round is over, princess,” Takumi called. Tana had no intention of declaring such. In fact, she, and the entire crowd, was watching Shanna, who was getting to her feet.

“No… that can’t be…” Takumi muttered.

“It ain’t over until it’s over,” Shanna yelled, thrusting her lance forward. Takumi meekly dodged, but he did not count on Shanna’s desperation kicking in. Her next strike, powered by the Ilian chill, did not miss.

“The round… is over. The victor… is Sprightly Flier Shanna, mercenary of Ilia!” Tana cried out. Everyone popped out of the ground, and Takumi gave Shanna a proud smirk, before Thea and Juno sandwiched her in a massive hug. Florina and her sisters quickly piled on, and then Dieck, Wade and Lot… Shanna was as surprised as everyone.

But they were all proud. The odds of victory were out of her favour. But she took it anyway.

“Takumi!” Shanna squeaked out. Everyone pulled away, watching Shanna eye Takumi, and him do the same in return.

“...You fought well. For a pegasus knight,” Takumi told her.

“Well, you fought back well. For an archer,” Shanna laughed. She held out her hand, and Takumi gladly shook it.

Well, that's one gauntlet down. Starting to get my feel for writing these out proper.

The other gauntlets will probably have to wait. I've got a big project I'd like to get done, but after that... well, I wasn't opposed to this. It's probably more of a sporadic kind of thing (which means I might fit one or two old ones in before I'm done with the big project), but I would like to at least get those concepts to paper.