Help Playing Fire Emblem Geneology of the Holy War

BlazingGarrett

Hey Fire Emblem Fans!

I've been playing a lot of Fire Emblem Heroes recently and with one of the recent updates that included many Geneology of the Holy War, I became really interested in that game and have read up on its world and characters, and I'd really like to play through the game.  The problem being, the game was never released officially in English.  I've looked around online to find an emulator to play the game and had a small amount of success with an easy online emulator, but I recently lost my save state and was too defeated to start over.  After some more research, I found the Project Naga Patch and many people say this is the best translation of FE 4.  I've tried to get it to work for me, however, I am really bad at navigating all the technical stuff to get the game to work on my laptop (which is a few years old).  So my question is, would anyone be willing to walk me through all the steps I would need to take to either get Project Naga or another English translation to work on my computer (or at least point me in the right direction if there already is such a walkthrough).  I would greatly appreciate it!!

All right, so first the basics:

1. Download an emulator. I've been using Snes9x for a long time.
  2. Obtain a rom. (Telling you how to do so is against the rules, so you'll have to find it yourself.)
  3. Download the patch.

Then you have to set it up.

• Unzip the emulator to a folder. (Do not try to run it from the zip.)
  • In the same folder as the emulator, create a new folder and name it "Roms".
  • Unzip the rom and .ips patch to the "Roms" folder. Note: There are two versions of the patch. If your rom file is 4,194,816 bytes, use the "for headered rom" one; if it's 4,194,304 bytes, use the "for unheadered rom" one. If it's neither... you should probably look for another rom.
  • Rename the patch so it has the same name as the rom. (So if your rom is called "Fire Emblem - Seisen no Keifu (J).smc" then your patch should be "Fire Emblem - Seisen no Keifu (J).ips".) This will allow the emulator to automatically apply the patch, so you don't have to do it manually.
  • Run the emulator. Click File, then Load Game...
  • Select your rom and hit Open. The game should now start, and be in English.

You may need to define your inputs (Input -> Input Configuration) to make sure your controller is set up properly (or you can just use keyboard buttons, either way works). This is pretty self explanatory - just click the field next to Up, Down, etc, and then press the button you want to use.

You may also want to play with the video settings (Video -> Display configuration) until you like what you see, but I'd take a screencap of the configuration screen before messing with it, so you can set it back the way it used to be if something goes wrong. I'd also recommend making sure that the Video -> Bilinear Filtering option is unchecked, because it blurs the image and looks like butt, but that's up to you.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...