What kind of story do you want to see?

Corrobin

I don't really buy the leaks, but a Gothic Horror setting actually sounds really cool because when I envision it like a Fire Emblem meets Castlevania and I would throw a TON of money at something that sounds that awesome(at least in my head).

Another route I'd like to see the series take is a story with less emphasis on magic dragon demons and a more of a realistic political drama between competing nations because it would be the best scenario to have a meaningful commentary on the harsh realities of war(something the series nods at, but never fully explores).

More than anything I simply want it to be competently told and interesting, but since that's a boring and obvious answer, I'll also put my vote on something a bit more grounded in reality. Let's have fewer cults and world-ending dragons and more human factions and elements in the story. This doesn't need to turn into Game of Thrones or Dark Souls, but I do want the game to be a bit more serious and not shy away from portraying some darker sides of war and humanity; merely paying lip service to it while ranting about the awesomeness of peace means a lot less when we don't actually see how war affects both the average Joe and the playable roster itself. Again though, I really don't want it to turn grimdark; Fire Emblem has always had a sense of humor and quirky characters, and removing that would dillute the series' charm for no reason.

Bonus points if we can get some cool narrative twists to the game, like playing two opposing sides either at the same time or switching focus to another protagonist and their group after the first one has accomplished their goals. 

Edited by Thane

I'm not about to write a story as my answer, but I'd like a "back to basics" approach. I know FE6 and 13 already do that, with the latter actually returning to a previous setting, but I think the first game on new hardware could use a little normalcy in its pitch. Have your blue haired swordie lord that needs to reclaim his kingdom, the evil sorcerer type guy resurrecting the dragon, whatever you need to do to make sure the execution of the game is so professional that it feels fresh and interesting without new gimmicks.

I see lots of threads on SF about what new things this game could do. But "new" doesn't always mean "improved". New things are inherent risks that you need to keep in check. Put too many new things into your story and setting and your game risks crumbling under the weight of it's ambition. Fates' plot, characters, classes, and setting include the largest collection of new ideas by far. So much that they decided to split the game into three versions. But it wasn't enough, our setting is a continent with no name or history dating past the birth of Corrin, our supports appear to be written as if unaware that the player's base is in a different dimension that experiences time differently, and the key to the true ending is Azura's new confidence in the player that's unlocked once they've agreed to pay an additional 20 dollars. Again, Fates had excellent ideas, but no individual ideas got the attention they needed to be fully realized.

I like FE as mid-fantasy medieval Europe. 

As long as it's that, the story's taken seriously, and there's more that 5 minutes of thought put into it, I'm happy. 

Edited by Slumber

I'm good if it doesn't feel overly cheesy. All I want for the story is a lord that isn't a yutz and a villain with understandable motives. The biggest desire I have is for another monsters abound situation. (Closest examples I can think of are Echoes and Sacred Stones.) I don't know, something about ravenous beasts across the land is very appealing to me. Also no dragon or some greater malevolent forces deal unless it's completely separate and optional from the nations' war in the story.

I wouldn't mind magical dragons if the writers tried a cosmicism take on them, to be honest. But, other than that,  gonna the echo "less magical dragons more human conflict" sentiment.

Not gonna lie, I wouldn't mind if the leaks were true. Mainly for tone and atmosphere, though. Not to be misunderstood, I don't mean a "dark and edgy" story but a more solemn and poignant one, if that makes sense—there would be humor, happiness and triumph in the story but the main cast would have to work their asses off throughout the story just to obtain it. Like, the backdrop of a lot of these games are war; I would like to see a more grounded depiction of conflict, politics, struggle, etc. seen. Could make some really interesting plots and characters with these themes and elements in mind.

I wouldn't mind if the conflict was more human oriented either. Also, for once, actually have a female Lord who actually drives the story until the very end. No hijacking the story with a male Lord whatsoever. (Basically what Radiant Dawn would have hypothetically been like if Micaiah was the Lord all the way through and Ike only appeared as a PC in paralogues and the last 2-3 chapters as the Gotoh archetype. Even have a story inspired from Maria Teresa from the Hapsburg House.)

Edited by henrymidfields

More of a villain than a plot, but my point still stands.

What if the evil emperor (the Zephiel/Hardin of the game, as it were), wasn't being manipulated by the evil dragon...

They ARE the evil dragon! And they look sort of like my profile pic!

Its a boring answer but I just want a competently told story with decent villains. 

Don't make your villains garbage, don't skip out on the world building, don't rush through the story at a Awakening phase and make interesting events happen during the story.

That's all I'm asking. Echoes took steps in the right direction compared to Fates and Awakening so I don't think its to much to ask. 

I'd like to see a more cynical kind of protagonist. I'm not very deep into the franchise, but I've played Blazing Sword, Sacred Stones, Awakening, Fates (Birthright) and SoV and heard about the other games. And honestly I'd like to see a protagonist who is more of a pessimist like Python or Nyx.

I don't know if I can get hate for a simple comment, but that's just my personal opinion. 

On 11/12/2017 at 8:59 AM, OutCastye said:

I'd like to see a more cynical kind of protagonist. I'm not very deep into the franchise, but I've played Blazing Sword, Sacred Stones, Awakening, Fates (Birthright) and SoV and heard about the other games. And honestly I'd like to see a protagonist who is more of a pessimist like Python or Nyx.

I don't know if I can get hate for a simple comment, but that's just my personal opinion. 

I would really be into this. Most lords are too positive or naive for my taste. They aren't bad traits, but they're a bit stale at this point. But at the same time, I don't know if a character who always thought the worst of a situation would inspire confidence from their army, so I'd rather see a lord who is more of a pragmatist. Just sorta accepting the situation as is, and then fixing what they feasibly can.

Hopefully that made sense.

I don't care too much about the specifics, but i hope that we spend a decent amount of time with the villans during the game. Part of why fighting Petrine and the Black Knight felt as good as it did was that we actually got to see them interact with the compatriots and our characters multiple times throughout the game before our final showdown with them.

I'd like a large conflict that is 1. Primarily human focused and 2. Has things happening all over the continent, not just whatever wherever the protagonists are currently fighting. I'd also like to see the developed villains with agendas that go beyond being evil.

I agree with NekoKnight, I want a human v human conflict.

Personally I want a story based off of historical events, I think basing it off of Chinese history would be cool if they alluded to the Mongols invading China and a nation had to build a great wall

1 hour ago, NekoKnight said:

I'd like a large conflict that is 1. Primarily human focused and 2. Has things happening all over the continent, not just whatever wherever the protagonists are currently fighting. I'd also like to see the developed villains with agendas that go beyond being evil.

You ask for too much. I agree they should stop with the gods and evil dragons about to destroy the world plots, and take a break to focus on a more human conflict similar to the first Half of Genealogy (I think). Also above all else, please let the characters be more than just one dimensional a-holes or problem deflectors.

A grounded, human verses human or idealogy verses idealogy conflict would be awesome. 

I feel like SoV/Gaiden and Fates had underlying potential to have stories like that, but both messed this up by making one side so clearly "good."

Imagine how vastly different Conquest would've been if Garon was happy Corrin returned to Nohr and didn't want to mentally torture them at every turn while the isolationist Hoshido struggled to get Corrin back over and over? If Duma hadn't lost his mind and instead actively restarted the war against sister to rescue his dying people, giving them such terrible power out of necessity while Mila struggled to defend her people after giving them generations of comfort and refusing to go to such extremes as Duma?

I want stuff like that! I also want the option to choose a side again, or perhaps have a seperate lord for each route. Villains with understandable motivations make for better stories.

• Focus more on the war itself, bring back pre-chapter narrations, explain why each battle is important and always  try to bring up the current state of the conflict whenever an important event occurs. Make it feel like this is an actual war with stakes.
  • Give characters an actual reason to do what they do, this goes for both heroes and villains, even if it's as barebones as "I always heard stories about gallant knights as a child so i wanted to be one" and "Im a villain who does bad things because i like money", just don't let the main driving reason for the characters in the game to exist be just to exist. This is something i think FE8 did really well, most of the characters have good reasons to be there instead of just existing.
  • A lord with a more varied personality, now im not someone who seriously thinks every Fire Emblem lord is the exact same like some people do, but i still want to see a lord who is different on a surface level, i've already said before a more arrogant and naive lord would be a good way to do this, but there are still many ideas for lords that could make for interesting main characters.
Edited by OakTree

I'd enjoy a real underdog story. Like, a prince and princess lose their kingdom to an empire and have to create an army from scratch to take down the empire. 

Also, I'm a huge fan of more complex and flawed protagonists. I prefer Inigos and Elises over Marths and Eliwoods, and I'd like to see our protagonists be colorful. 

Like others have said, I want a human VS human conflict. No Dragons or world ending monsters, just a bone fide human. I`d like to see more major female antagonists too. I don`t really care weather the protagonist if a noble or not, though a stand alone female protagonist would be nice.

...sometimes, I feel like I'm the only person who thinks that something big as a final boss is needed. It provides a sense of scale, like how Dhengis-whatever from Tellius had a special layout to emphasize his size. If all you fought were dudes, dudes on horses, dudes in armor, dudes on pegasi, dudes on wyverns and dudes in robes as bosses, yeah, it'd get old! The reason that we have Big Evil Dragons is so that you can quake in your boots as your Navarre, who's been kicking ass all game, suddenly looks like a little fairy compared to the Demon Dragon Whatever he's fighting against.

Of course, it doesn't have to be a big Evil Dragon Thing. Maybe it's a mechanical creation, created by the main bad! Maybe the main bad and the Big Final Boss with Massive Huge Stats fight together, one actually moving around while the other has ranged attacks and gimmicks like shockwaves that damage a group? Or maybe have the second to last chapter be the Evil Dragon Thing... and then the final chapter be the actual evil human