Capcom is making an Ace Attorney game for the Switch set to release in 2018

Thane

Hello chaps.

Some minor news, but Capcom has said they're making a few titles for the Switch bound for next year, including Ace Attorney.

I must say I'm worried though. Yamazaki wrote the last two games and I thought they were atrocious. I sincerely hope Shu Takumi is the man behind this game, but he seems to be busy with the spin-off series.

Edited by Thane

I don't get Capcom one bit. They were one of the devs that told Nintendo to add more ram to the Switch and when Nintendo does it, Capcom doesn't support the system one damn bit. Only support they have done as of now was just Street Fighter 2 and two Resident evil games and that's about it. And we still have no clue why Disney afternoon, Mega Man legacy collection 1 & 2 and Monster Hunter isn't on Switch yet. Personally, I'd like them to port Aladdin on Switch or atleast make a brand new Mega Man game but even that's not possible to do so.

Also of note, I wouldn't count Pheonix Wright to be on Switch yet because frankly, its a visual novel series whose game mechanics are enough to downright work for mobile. What button inputs they can possibly use for this new game is a wonder. Sure, the first game used it but considering that touch is more common, its probably going to be a step backwards.

1 hour ago, Thane said:

Hello chaps.

Some minor news, but Capcom has said they're making a few titles for the Switch bound for next year, including Ace Attorney.

I must say I'm worried though. Yamazaki wrote the last two games and I thought they were atrocious. I sincerely hope Shu Takumi is the man behind this game, but he seems to be busy with the spin-off series.

I loved them though, and Edgeworth investigations 2 pretty much redeemed Yamazaki for me.

6 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

I loved them though, and Edgeworth investigations 2 pretty much redeemed Yamazaki for me.

That's great. I personally can't stand the bloke's writing. I liked 6-2 quite a bit which is probably the case with the least amount of Yamazakisms in it (though there were still quite a few, like the villain's hatred for a specific profession, which always pops up in a Yamazaki game), but all four games he has done have been subpar to me. Nothing is worse than Dual Destinies though, especially 5-5.

Edited by Thane

I'll wait to read about the game when it is released, then decide if it is worth putting it on my list of reasons to buy a Switch since I don't really have that many due to not caring about mainstream Nintendo games (Zelda, Mario etc.) and due to other Switch titles being available on the PC anyway.

If it's like Dual Destinies, I'll put it on a lower priority or not even mind putting it as one of the reasons for buying a Switch. If it is like Spirit of Justice or the AAIs, then I'll consider it.

Edited by Rapier

22 minutes ago, Retyl said:

Atrocious? Don't you think that's a little extreme?

Maybe a little, but not much. Yamazaki has extreme difficulties both with tying a case together and writing overarching plots. This is best seen in Dual Destinies, where we're constantly told about the "Dark Age of the Law" without actually experiencing any of it outside of maybe Themis Legal Academy, but even then, the factors that supposedly led to this dark age pale in comparison to someone like Von Karma. You also win back the public's trust by jailing the Phantom...by using methods the public doesn't agree with. The Phantom was also called such because no trace of him was found on the crime scene...aside from, you know, being caught on the security footage while literally wearing incriminating evidence. 

In Spirit of Justice, the guy literally invents a new kingdom just to spice things up, then he ties it to Apollo's backstory for some ungodly reason. I'll stop myself here because the more I talk about Yamazaki's writing the more upset I get.

26 minutes ago, Retyl said:

Since you prefer Takumi's writing, did you like those Great Ace Attorney spin-offs?

I'm watching the second game right now, actually. The first game was pretty good but nothing groundbreaking. It was obviously baiting a sequel and there were a few things I didn't agree with.

25 minutes ago, Thane said:

Maybe a little, but not much. Yamazaki has extreme difficulties both with tying a case together and writing overarching plots. This is best seen in Dual Destinies, where we're constantly told about the "Dark Age of the Law" without actually experiencing any of it outside of maybe Themis Legal Academy, but even then, the factors that supposedly led to this dark age pale in comparison to someone like Von Karma. You also win back the public's trust by jailing the Phantom...by using methods the public doesn't agree with. The Phantom was also called such because no trace of him was found on the crime scene...aside from, you know, being caught on the security footage while literally wearing incriminating evidence. 

In Spirit of Justice, the guy literally invents a new kingdom just to spice things up, then he ties it to Apollo's backstory for some ungodly reason. I'll stop myself here because the more I talk about Yamazaki's writing the more upset I get.

I'm watching the second game right now, actually. The first game was pretty good but nothing groundbreaking. It was obviously baiting a sequel and there were a few things I didn't agree with.

Spoiler

@Dual Destinies
Yeah, I did think to myself that it's very stupid that they had evidence on the Phantom but just never bothered to check until Phoenix got on the case.

@Spirit of Justice
I liked that Apollo got some focus again but I wasn't expecting the weird ass family tree which I have mixed feelings over.I also wasn't fond of the idea of helping this country that gives Phoenix shit and demands his execution just for doing his job. Yeah, yeah, I know, Ga'ran accused Durke of forgery, but it's still dumb.

Unrelated but this game has an abundance of flashbacks. Like, holy crap there's a lot.

@Overarching plot
Now it's been a long time since I played Gyakuten Kenji 2 so I don't remember the story perfectly but I thought that he did a good job at an overarching story there.  Everything that happens is related to Simon Keyes. Even the third case which at first seemed unrelated. What with Gustavia turning out to be his dad and all.

I guess Yamazaki's writing doesn't bother me to the same extent, haha. I'd prefer Takumi for the next main installment but I'm not getting my hopes up. I think they'll use Yamazaki again.

Good to hear that The Great Ace Attorney is good. I'll check it out eventually.

Edited by Retyl

1 hour ago, Retyl said:
  Hide contents

@Dual Destinies
Yeah, I did think to myself that it's very stupid that they had evidence on the Phantom but just never bothered to check until Phoenix got on the case.

@Spirit of Justice
I liked that Apollo got some focus again but I wasn't expecting the weird ass family tree which I have mixed feelings over.I also wasn't fond of the idea of helping this country that gives Phoenix shit and demands his execution just for doing his job. Yeah, yeah, I know, Ga'ran accused Durke of forgery, but it's still dumb.

Unrelated but this game has an abundance of flashbacks. Like, holy crap there's a lot.

@Overarching plot
Now it's been a long time since I played Gyakuten Kenji 2 so I don't remember the story perfectly but I thought that he did a good job at an overarching story there.  Everything that happens is related to Simon Keyes. Even the third case which at first seemed unrelated. What with Gustavia turning out to be his dad and all.

I guess Yamazaki's writing doesn't bother me to the same extent, haha. I'd prefer Takumi for the next main installment but I'm not getting my hopes up. I think they'll use Yamazaki again.

I don't remember too much about AAI2 outside of really not liking it and being pissed off at half the cast all the time. I mean think back to the final case, how many characters are there and for what purpse? It's, what, about a dozen named characters or so just standing around cheering on Edgeworth as though he was the protagonist of a card game anime.

I also take offense to the fact that he straight up copies premises of older cases. 5-5 is a carbon copy of 1-5, and the first half of 6-5 has the exact same driving force behind Phoenix's actions as 2-4, though executed far more terribly.

I also believe they'll use Yamazaki again, I'm just hoping that won't be the case, or at the very least that he'll have learned from his mistakes and have more cowriters who dare to tell him when things stop making sense.

Edited by Thane

A new Ace Attorney game, good the the series is still being supported unlike other Capcom series. That reminds me is have to play the 3ds game and the spin-off Edgeworth games too. Shame that the Dai Gyakuten Saiban games are not coming out to the rest of the world.

24 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

I wonder if they would introduce a new playable lawyer, I mean, there’s already 3 main playable lawyers, but with Apollo leaving the agency, I wouldn’t be suprised if they introduced a new one.

They shouldn't, Athena still hasn't had the opportunity to grow as a lawyer despite being in two games, introducing another playable character will just stunt her development more. AA already has the problem of having too many main characters, which I imagine Apollo leaving was meant to alleviate.

I could, however, see them introducing a new assistant to contrast Athena. Or they could just make Blackquill Athena's assistant.

13 hours ago, Retyl said:

Yeah, I do agree that having so many characters in there was excessive.

You comparing that to a card game anime gives me the mental image of Edgeworth settling the the conflict with a duel, haha.

On the wrong side here but this statement made me remember this 

One thing people should know: The reason why the writing between Yamazaki's games and Takumi's games are so different has more to do with how they're made, Takumi's games are well. Takumi's games, he comes up with all the ideas himself and writes them line by line, every single piece of witing is done by him. Yamazaki on the other hand doesn't really "write" the games himself, he works with a team, one which he shares ideas with until they all try to make some cohesion out of all of it, which is why his writing might come off as dry and jumbled to the ones who dislike it.

Obviously, if you dislike Yamazaki's writing, im not saying he shouldn't be blamed in any way, as it's clear he is responsible for certain heavily criticized aspects of his games' writing, such as the obssession with trying to make AA more than just a lawyer game. (For those who don't know, Yamazaki has said in an interview he thinks a game like Ace Attorney needs more than just it's premise to hook audiences, and that you need to have some sort of big hook like "Dark Age of Law" or "A country that hates lawyers!?)

Edited by OakTree

50 minutes ago, OakTree said:

One thing people should know: The reason why the writing between Yamazaki's games and Takumi's games are so different has more to do with how they're made, Takumi's games are well. Takumi's games, he comes up with all the ideas himself and writes them line by line, every single piece of witing is done by him. Yamazaki on the other hand doesn't really "write" the games himself, he works with a team, one which he shares ideas with until they all try to make some cohesion out of all of it, which is why his writing might come off as dry and jumbled to the ones who dislike it.

Obviously, if you dislike Yamazaki's writing, im not saying he shouldn't be blamed in any way, as it's clear he is responsible for certain heavily criticized aspects of his games' writing, such as the obssession with trying to make AA more than just a lawyer game. (For those who don't know, Yamazaki has said in an interview he thinks a game like Ace Attorney needs more than just it's premise to hook audiences, and that you need to have some sort of big hook like "Dark Age of Law" or "A country that hates lawyers!?)

One of Ace Attorney's strengths was the simple fact that it wasn't so much more than a lawyer game; it was about individuals in hopeless situations. Large conspiracies and entire fictional countries serving as Yamazaki's playground that allow how to write whatever bullshit he and his team come up with just feel so incredibly out of place. 

Two other weaknesses that I believe are hard not to agree with are the roster size and the copying of earlier cases. All of Yamazaki's games have had usually pointless camoes at best and enormous cast with barely finished subplots at worst. Then 5-5 copied the premise of 1-5 and the first half of 6-5 stole Phoenix's primary motivation of 2-4, but it was done so much worse. 

I hate to rant like this, but I only do it out of my love for the series. The first game is still my favorite game in terms of story of all time, and seeing this IP in Yamazaki's talons sickens me.

The main problem I had with Dual Destinies was... the entire game minus Athena's theme, that kicks ass, but the main problem I had with Spirit of Justice is the fact that the villain is basically the first person you think it is. That is a big issue for a story that's fundamentally a mystery. Frankly I could suspend my disbelief for Kuhrain or whatever it was called if the core mystery was competently handled, but even if the writing of individual characters pleasantly surprised me, the mystery of the climactic case was nonexistent. It doesn't help that AA5's villain was a suprise in the same way that C-3PO being revealed to actually be the Emperor would have been a suprise. Still, though, SoJ was an improvement on DD, so I'll be cautiously optimistic that Yamazaki is improving.

On 11-11-2017 at 12:48 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

As someone who didn't mind the newer games(Aside from Apollo's extremely convoluted backstory) that's good news to me. 

I mostly agree with this.

Besides, after playing Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney, I'm in no hurry for another game written by Takumi.

Hopefully the new Ace Attorney game has Athena as the main lawyer. In fact, Athena should be the lawyer for all the cases in the new installment.

But who knows it might actually be AAI3

A new assistant for Athena would also be nice.

You know, honestly, as much as I want to see Athena come into her own more, I do want to see Trucy and Apollo have the truth of their shared heritage revealed to them.

14 hours ago, Dai said:

You know, honestly, as much as I want to see Athena come into her own more, I do want to see Trucy and Apollo have the truth of their shared heritage revealed to them.

Yes; please!

On 11/12/2017 at 8:25 AM, blah the Prussian said:

The main problem I had with Dual Destinies was... the entire game minus Athena's theme, that kicks ass, but the main problem I had with Spirit of Justice is the fact that the villain is basically the first person you think it is. That is a big issue for a story that's fundamentally a mystery. Frankly I could suspend my disbelief for Kuhrain or whatever it was called if the core mystery was competently handled, but even if the writing of individual characters pleasantly surprised me, the mystery of the climactic case was nonexistent. It doesn't help that AA5's villain was a suprise in the same way that C-3PO being revealed to actually be the Emperor would have been a suprise. Still, though, SoJ was an improvement on DD, so I'll be cautiously optimistic that Yamazaki is improving.

This sums up how I feel.

Dual Destinies was easily the worst entry in the series and it's telling that I barely remember anything about it, even though I played it more recently than the earlier installments. Still, I enjoyed SoJ enough and I'm excited for future entries. I just hope they don't introduce a new lawyer.