Pokémon Xd: Gale of Darkness: Blind Playthrough! (Ongoing)

Michelaar

Hello all of you! Today I will be starting my first let's play here in the forest! I will play Pokémon Xd: Gale of Darkness, for the first time, completely blind! I have played seen a playthrough of Colloseum, but I want to experience this one myself first. Let's have some rules first though.

- You can NOT spoil me on the story. Should be obvious though.

- You CAN give me some tips, about what certain pokémon learn, which pokémon I should use, etc. I don't consider those harmful in a blind playthrough.

That's pretty much it, I think. Now, let's begin!

Episode 1: A new blind adventure!

So, I liked Colloseum, so this got me excited!

HJi7Mp.jpg

So this title screen looks.. blander than Colloseum's? I like the music though.

ACT0W8.jpg

Meet Artur, no, not the one from Sacred Stones, this red-haired boy, who honestly looks like a girl a little bit. What is it with red-haired boys in pokémon and looking like females? First Silver, not this boy?

JbLSqT.jpg

Already, i'm liking the cutscenes better than in Colloseum. Look how nice that looks!

4qfXlG.jpg

I guess the alien invasion was bound to happen at some point.

re0tES.jpg

Close enough I suppose? but holy shit that thing looks scary.

dWAPkr.jpg

This is what happens when I am on a boat.

3sxORC.jpg

Suddenly I am in a colloseum with a Salamence? Welp, end of the game, end of the playthrough.

QbzWsM.jpg

49bJOo.jpg

It died in 2 earthquakes, interesting tutorial fight!

wYZ3Mm.jpg

Of course, it's just a video game. Who would have thought?

IAD8o6.jpg

Eevee huh? Interesting. I wish I had a Salamence as the starting pokémon! Well no, that would make it kind of boring wouldn't it?

This is actually where i'm going to finish it off for today. I want to keep the intro short and sweet. Next time will be a beefier and longer update, I promise you that.

Be sure to send me tips!

I would recommend you to catch every Shadow Pokemon you see, even if you are not going to use them. There is a purification mechanic that can be greatly sped up if you have a lot of non-Shadow Pokemon in your PC Boxes.

You will be able to evolve your Eevee very early, and I highly recommend doing that immediately. This gives you a very good Pokemon for the early game. Espeon is probably the best evolution, but Jolteon and Vaporeon are also good. Umbreon is ok and Flareon is pretty bad, but still usable if you happen to really want one. There is a good guide on Smogon on which Pokemon are good in this game. It is based largely on efficiency, so Pokemon you can capture late are lower on the list, but for the early game Pokemon, it is a very good guide. Here is the link: http://www.smogon.com/ingame/misc/xd_ingametiers.

Most of the in-game battles are double battles, so you should value moves that hit multiple enemies or support both of your team members higher than usual. I am a big fan of Reflect and Light Screen, which you can buy at some point. Those moves will help you a lot in the tougher fights.

20 minutes ago, FiboSai said:

I would recommend you to catch every Shadow Pokemon you see, even if you are not going to use them. There is a purification mechanic that can be greatly sped up if you have a lot of non-Shadow Pokemon in your PC Boxes.

You will be able to evolve your Eevee very early, and I highly recommend doing that immediately. This gives you a very good Pokemon for the early game. Espeon is probably the best evolution, but Jolteon and Vaporeon are also good. Umbreon is ok and Flareon is pretty bad, but still usable if you happen to really want one. There is a good guide on Smogon on which Pokemon are good in this game. It is based largely on efficiency, so Pokemon you can capture late are lower on the list, but for the early game Pokemon, it is a very good guide. Here is the link: http://www.smogon.com/ingame/misc/xd_ingametiers.

Most of the in-game battles are double battles, so you should value moves that hit multiple enemies or support both of your team members higher than usual. I am a big fan of Reflect and Light Screen, which you can buy at some point. Those moves will help you a lot in the tougher fights.

So are evostones/friendship thingies still neccesary or not?

32 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

So are evostones/friendship thingies still neccesary or not?

Friendship is not necessary for the Espeon or Umbreon. An npc will give you an item for them to hold, that evolves them into Espeon/Umbreon the next time they level. That same npc will give you the evostones as well.

Edited by SlayerX

3 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Friendship is not necessary for the Espeon or Umbreon. An npc will give you an item for them to hold, that evolves them into Espeon/Umbreon the next time they level. That same npc will give you the evostones as well.

Alright, thanks! New episode should go out tomorrow.

This game's version of hyper mode is different from Colosseum's; so staying in that mode might not be the best idea; and I recommend Espeon the most because you get encounters early on with typing's similar to other Eevee evolution's that are more worthwhile in my opinion. The game is also generous with having healing machines around so buying a lot of healing items isn't really important. XD is my favourite Pokémon game so I know a lot about it. 

10 minutes ago, I'm a Spheal said:

This game's version of hyper mode is different from Colosseum's; so staying in that mode might not be the best idea; and I recommend Espeon the most because you get encounters early on with typing's similar to other Eevee evolution's that are more worthwhile in my opinion. The game is also generous with having healing machines around so buying a lot of healing items isn't really important. XD is my favourite Pokémon game so I know a lot about it. 

It'll be great to have you along with the ride then :p

• 4 weeks later...