That was a nice touch

DisobeyedCargo

At A-rank, when Corrin initiates a dual warrior special with Camilla, sometimes they have a different dialogue where she asks him/her to bathe together after the fight. What I found most amusing is that with english VA he tells her to focus, while with the original japanese VA he says "n-n-neesan!" in a very flustered tone.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Brother of Metal said:

At A-rank, when Corrin initiates a dual warrior special with Camilla, sometimes they have a different dialogue where she asks him/her to bathe together after the fight. What I found most amusing is that with english VA he tells her to focus, while with the original japanese VA he says "n-n-neesan!" in a very flustered tone.

What does n-n-neesan mean?

collecting the dual support lines is more challenging than i thought it’d be.

heres what i have so far for the english version. 

Spoiler

Leo

Takumi:

(When Leo activates dual support)

Takumi: Hey! C’mon, Leo!

Leo: Show some respect if you want my help.

(When Takumi activates dual support)

Leo: So it’s come to this, let us join forces.

Takumi: What do you mean “it’s come to this?!?!?”

Elise:

(When Leo activates D.Sup.)

Elise: Let’s attack over here, Leo!

Leo: Do not stray from my side, Elise.

(When Elise activates D.Sup)

Leo: We must time this carefully.

Elise: I knew I could count on you.

Sakura:

(When Leo activates)

Sakura: Leo, can we do this together?

Leo: Through action, we grow stronger.

(when sakura activates)

Leo: Easy does it, Princess Sakura.

Sakura: Here I am!

Lissa:

(when leo activates)

Lissa: This should be no sweat!

Leo : Of course, we’ll take you down!

or

Lissa: Ready?

Leo: Let’s show these fools.

(when Lissa activates)

Leo: I’m ready at any time.

Lissa: Yes! Let’s do it!

or

Leo: Shall we demonstrate our power?

Lissa: We’ll put you down quick!

*one of these unlocked upon reaching A-support, however, i am unaware of which one unlocks, as i began compiling the lines after these two reached A support

Corrin

(When Leo activates)

Corrin: Leo, win, and my tomato stash is yours.

Leo: (voice crack) Really? Excellent!

(when Corrin activates)

Leo: There’s no time like the present.

Corrin: Yes. Leave it to me!

Chrom

(when Leo activates)

Chrom: Let’s end this!

(when Chrom activates)

Chrom: Yes, onward soldiers!

that’s all for now.

9 hours ago, TheTuckingFypo said:

collecting the dual support lines is more challenging than i thought it’d be.

heres what i have so far for the english version. 

Reveal hidden contents

Leo

Takumi:

(When Leo activates dual support)

Takumi: Hey! C’mon, Leo!

Leo: Show some respect if you want my help.

(When Takumi activates dual support)

Leo: So it’s come to this, let us join forces.

Takumi: What do you mean “it’s come to this?!?!?”

Elise:

(When Leo activates D.Sup.)

Elise: Let’s attack over here, Leo!

Leo: Do not stray from my side, Elise.

(When Elise activates D.Sup)

Leo: We must time this carefully.

Elise: I knew I could count on you.

Sakura:

(When Leo activates)

Sakura: Leo, can we do this together?

Leo: Through action, we grow stronger.

(when sakura activates)

Leo: Easy does it, Princess Sakura.

Sakura: Here I am!

Lissa:

(when leo activates)

Lissa: This should be no sweat!

Leo : Of course, we’ll take you down!

or

Lissa: Ready?

(when Lissa activates)

Lissa: Yes! Let’s do it!

or

Leo: Shall we demonstrate our power?

Lissa: We’ll put you down quick!

*one of these unlocked upon reaching A-support, however, i am unaware of which one unlocks, as i began compiling the lines after these two reached A support

Corrin

(When Leo activates)

Corrin: Leo, win, and my tomato stash is yours.

Leo: (voice crack) Really? Excellent!

(when Corrin activates)

Leo: There’s no time like the present.

Corrin: Yes. Leave it to me!

Chrom

(when Leo activates)

Chrom: Let’s end this!

(when Chrom activates)

Chrom: Yes, onward soldiers!

that’s all for now.

Geez that first one between Leon and Takumi sounds a lot more aggressive than it did originally. In japanese, Leon sounded more like he was teasing Takumi and not verbally rebuffing him. 

I also heard that their "praise" (when killing 1000 enemies) dialogue has become a lot more aggressive as well in the localization. Originally, they sounded friendly and genuinely appreciative of each other's skills while also being competitve and doing some teasing/sassing on the side. English seems to really be pushing the narrative of "Lulz, they actively hate each other and fight all the time. Ain't that hilarious?". Just makes me more glad I left my game in Japanese, even if it does make navigating the menus more of a pain.

30 minutes ago, Nanima said:

Geez that first one between Leon and Takumi sounds a lot more aggressive than it did originally. In japanese, Leon sounded more like he was teasing Takumi and not verbally rebuffing him. 

I also heard that their "praise" (when killing 1000 enemies) dialogue has become a lot more aggressive as well in the localization. Originally, they sounded friendly and genuinely appreciative of each other's skills while also being competitve and doing some teasing/sassing on the side. English seems to really be pushing the narrative of "Lulz, they actively hate each other and fight all the time. Ain't that hilarious?". Just makes me more glad I left my game in Japanese, even if it does make navigating the menus more of a pain.

I think it makes sense for them to dislike each other though, at least at first. They both had to learn to get along before they stopped hating each other in Fates, so I don't see why they should immediately start being playful with each other here.

But then again, continuity makes absolutely no sense in this game. I probably shouldn't be thinking about it so hard. 

Edited by Zachmac

I dont see why the siblings should instantly start to like each other when they just recently joined forces, This is still a game where your battleing togeather one map, but then killing each other on the next, Id think it would be strange for takumi not to throw insults to leo and vice versa. even if on the same team.

32 minutes ago, Zachmac said:

I think it makes sense for them to dislike each other though, at least at first. They both had to learn to get along before they stopped hating each other in Fates, so I don't see why they should immediately start being playful with each other here.

But then again, continuity makes absolutely no sense in this game. I probably shouldn't be thinking about it so hard. 

1 minute ago, Thany said:

I dont see why the siblings should instantly start to like each other when they just recently joined forces, This is still a game where your battleing togeather one map, but then killing each other on the next, Id think it would be strange for takumi not to throw insults to leo and vice versa. even if on the same team.

Okay, but that thinking is flawed A) in the way Zachmac already states. For exampel, Takumi is also instantly friendly with Corrin in both versions, despite not growing to trust them until well into BR and REV (and never in Conquest, for obvious reasons). If continuity doesn't count in that case, why have it count in another? And B) I wasn't saying they were super duper friends or anything (that's what they become in Rev, which they don't reach in Warriors) but I'd say a certain amount of respect and enough basis for some casual, if still slightly strained, banter makes sense if they have been fighting together for a time. I also wouldn't qualify their relationship prior to B-support as "hate" or anything. You can only hate someone you actually know. Prior to Rev they have barely had any interaction and only know the other as "the enemy prince who is my direct counterpart". Hating each other's alliegance rather than the stranger itself. I'd say Warriors shows them at a point where they are starting to realize that the other one isn't so bad, and they have no reason for outright enemity anyway. 

But Leo and Takumi hating each other except for "the miracle" in Rev is such a common attitude that the localizers just went along with it I guess. 

I'd probably agree, if they didnt constantly refer to each other as scum during the battle field when fighting. (even ryoma still calls em scum)

I'm just saying they are more like frienemies as teamates if anything, I dout they will be respectful to each other until the support stuff.

2 hours ago, Thany said:

I'd probably agree, if they didnt constantly refer to each other as scum during the battle field when fighting. (even ryoma still calls em scum)

I'm just saying they are more like frienemies as teamates if anything, I dout they will be respectful to each other until the support stuff.

None of them do that in Japanese though. They don't speak too highly of each other, true. And Takumi's generic response to defeating a Nohrian is questioning if that's all Nohrians are all talk, but there's no horrible enemity or vindictiveness to be found. He even states in his encounter lines with Leon (also unique) that he's looking forward to fighting him and, after winning, that this was the expected outcome but still wants to compete with him again. It's not friendship yet, but it's also not a hateful rivalry filled with slurs (again, outright slurs like Nohrian scum are.localization only) and complete disdain for the other. I understand that the localizers didn't have time for a more subtle approach to the dynamic, but that understanding doesn't stop me from appreciating the more nuanced approach of the original a lot more. I just don't see whats so compelling about "They hate each other. Period.". especially when talking about a fanservice game. Memes?

11 minutes ago, Nanima said:

None of them do that in Japanese though. They don't speak too highly of each other, true. And Takumi's generic response to defeating a Nohrian is questioning if that's all Nohrians are all talk, but there's no horrible enemity or vindictiveness to be found. He even states in his encounter lines with Leon (also unique) that he's looking forward to fighting him and, after winning, that this was the expected outcome but still wants to compete with him again. It's not friendship yet, but it's also not a hateful rivalry filled with slurs (again, outright slurs like Nohrian scum are.localization only) and complete disdain for the other. I understand that the localizers didn't have time for a more subtle approach to the dynamic, but that understanding doesn't stop me from appreciating the more nuanced approach of the original a lot more. I just don't see whats so compelling about "They hate each other. Period.". especially when talking about a fanservice game. Memes?

And that's your problem. This isn't the Japanese version. People tend to forget that it's these people's jobs to adjust as well as translate whether you like all the changes or not. Just accept it and move on. Not sure why you care anyway if you never use the English dialogue.

49 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

And that's your problem. This isn't the Japanese version. People tend to forget that it's these people's jobs to adjust as well as translate whether you like all the changes or not. Just accept it and move on. Not sure why you care anyway if you never use the English dialogue.

Oh and localizations have complete artistic freedom to do whatever they want with the text? I know that there is no clear definition of just what they can or rather should do, that it's all a matter of perspective etc. But to say that there should be none of that whatsoever... I am not sure what you are trying to express but it sounds a lot like "If you don't agree with what they are doing, just shut up.". Am I not allowed to question or discuss certain decisions made by them? Are they above criticism? Seriously, feel free to be satisfied with the localization, but that doesn't give you the right to try and silence any dissenting opinion. And the changes do have an effect on me. As a member of this fandom, these changes are the bases for most discussion and influence the general fan content which I am viewing. There's no way to avoid the memes. 

Edited by Nanima

3 hours ago, Nanima said:

Oh and localizations have complete artistic freedom to do whatever they want with the text? I know that there is no clear definition of just what they can or rather should do, that it's all a matter of perspective etc. But to say that there should be none of that whatsoever... I am not sure what you are trying to express but it sounds a lot like "If you don't agree with what they are doing, just shut up.". Am I not allowed to question or discuss certain decisions made by them? Are they above criticism? Seriously, feel free to be satisfied with the localization, but that doesn't give you the right to try and silence any dissenting opinion. And the changes do have an effect on me. As a member of this fandom, these changes are the bases for most discussion and influence the general fan content which I am viewing. There's no way to avoid the memes. 

You always just sound like you're unhappy for the simple fact it was changed.

13 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

You always just sound like you're unhappy for the simple fact it was changed.

Really? I think my arguments as to why I dislike the changes are extensive enough as explanations. I have never claimed to just "hate all change.", and since you're apparently familiar with my other posts on the topic, you'll have seen me list examples of changes I like. I can list them again if you want. I am very much aware that certain changes are necessary, but I can freely disagree that all of them are, and give examples why I think so in every single case. I am tired of having accusations thrown at me like this. Every time anyone mentiones not liking something about the localization it gets written off as just being opposed to "all change". It was good that the fandom went away from demonizing localizations on principle, but treating them like sacred cows isn't any better.

Man, this thread went downhill.

6 hours ago, Nanima said:

No need to be so passive aggressive. It's not like FEW exactly explores their character dynamics in the first place (hello, tying with each other for the fewest A+ supports in the game). The actual delivery of the lines has Leo sounding mildly irritated more than anything (with Takumi's lines being perfectly neutral). There's no "lol they hate it eachother"; Leo's just a bit irritated/arrogant here.

5 hours ago, Nanima said:

Nobody's going to read into this. Leo's kinda arrogant here; he had a couple moments of arrogance in Fates. It doesn't feed into any meme; you're projecting so much onto this and overreacting. And the type of fan work that would actually be persuaded by something as small as this would be, IMO, total bunk.

1 hour ago, Nanima said:

It was good that the fandom went away from demonizing localizations on principle

The fandom as a whole has done nothing. Check outside of SF and you see the exact same behavior (there's a reason SoC is the only FE person I check on tumblr nowadays). Heck, disowning the localization and putting up paragraphs of text because Leo's kinda sorta arrogant in two lines where he wasn't in the Japanese version pretty well meshes with that behavior.

Are there bad changes in localization? Yes, there are. But getting worked up like this over the tiniest of details really, really doesn't help your image here.

Edited by The DanMan

54 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Man, this thread went downhill.

No need to be so passive aggressive. It's not like FEW exactly explores their character dynamics in the first place (hello, tying with each other for the fewest A+ supports in the game). The actual delivery of the lines has Leo sounding mildly irritated more than anything (with Takumi's lines being perfectly neutral). There's no "lol they hate it eachother"; Leo's just a bit irritated/arrogant here.

Nobody's going to read into this. Leo's kinda arrogant here; he had a couple moments of arrogance in Fates. It doesn't feed into any meme; you're projecting so much onto this and overreacting. And the type of fan work that would actually be persuaded by something as small as this would be, IMO, total bunk.

The fandom as a whole has done nothing. Check outside of SF and you see the exact same behavior (there's a reason SoC is the only FE person I check on tumblr nowadays). Heck, disowning the localization and putting up paragraphs of text because Leo's kinda sorta arrogant in two lines where he wasn't in the Japanese version pretty well meshes with that behavior.

Are there bad changes in localization? Yes, there are. But getting worked up like this over the tiniest of details really, really doesn't help your image here.

Thanks for the compliment

I wasn't trying to be passive aggressive, I was aknowledging that the localizers work on a tight time schedule and probably don't have time to really analyze the Japanese script and filter out everything. Point is, there's something that I feel was lost in the translation, which was important to me.

I confess that I might be laying the finger on tighter here, but the dynamic between these two is of particular interest to me. The fandom in general is often really focused on making it seem like they are the worst rivals, this may not be true over here, but it's common enough. I just didn't appreciate what seemed like the localization adding yet more fuel to that particular fire. And I am still not fond of it. Also, I was referring to memes in general being heavily affected by localization, not that these changes would start one.

I have done plenty of checking outside SF. There were multiple posts going around on tumblr claiming that those who criticize the localization are all just filthy weeaboos wanting to touch their waifus after Fates came out, and there were plenty similar incidents and posters. I am not claiming everyone is like this btw. don't stone me to death for this.

Thanks for this. Really, I appreciate you always getting close and personal with my posts. This one actually hurt.

Edited by Nanima

2 hours ago, Nanima said:

Thanks for the compliment

I wasn't trying to be passive aggressive, I was aknowledging that the localizers work on a tight time schedule and probably don't have time to really analyze the Japanese script and filter out everything. Point is, there's something that I feel was lost in the translation, which was important to me.

I confess that I might be laying the finger on tighter here, but the dynamic between these two is of particular interest to me. The fandom in general is often really focused on making it seem like they are the worst rivals, this may not be true over here, but it's common enough. I just didn't appreciate what seemed like the localization adding yet more fuel to that particular fire. And I am still not fond of it. Also, I was referring to memes in general being heavily affected by localization, not that these changes would start one.

I have done plenty of checking outside SF. There were multiple posts going around on tumblr claiming that those who criticize the localization are all just filthy weeaboos wanting to touch their waifus after Fates came out, and there were plenty similar incidents and posters. I am not claiming everyone is like this btw. don't stone me to death for this.

Thanks for this. Really, I appreciate you always getting close and personal with my posts. This one actually hurt.

...This was not what I had intended. At all.

I did not interpret the initial comment as "they're on a tight schedule"; I instead thought it was a snide "lol they're lazy" jab. I personally don't really hold that there's any singular "fandom" opinion, which clearly bled into my post. As I also said, I generally stay away from tumblr and certain sects of the fandom-- but stuff I had a cursory eye on (gamefaqs, youtube, etc.-- echo chambers for the most extreme viewpoints) are still virulently beating the localization hate drum. Thus, I assumed it was generally the case in other communities.

My intent was never for the post to get taken this personally. If anything, I tried to reel myself in at a couple points, yet look at what was the end result.

You probably won't accept it, and considering my hypocritical stubbornness over this issue (and past related ones) it's likely not warranted, but: I'm sorry. I really should just avoid discussions like this because (a) I personally don't like them in the first place due to bad past experiences and (b) I've proven I have nothing to add but detached critique that I twist like a knife, either intentional or not.

If you feel like trying to work things out further, then PM me; I'll try not be as insensitive as I've been.

Edited by The DanMan

well lets hope this ends with a happy ending, regardless, I find it interesting just how much unique diolauge Rowan and Lianna have for a majority of the characters in the game. in both dual attacks and just battles.

Edited by Thany

More Leo dual support dialogue

Spoiler

Ryoma

(When Leo activates)

Ryoma: Witness our strength!

Leo: We shall teach them a lesson.

(When Ryoma activates)

Leo: I’m ready to annihilate. 

Ryoma: Let’s go together!

Marth

(When Leo activates)

Marth: Strike with me!

(When Marth activates)

Marth: My strength is yours!

Tiki

(When Leo activates)

Tiki: You wanna see something super scary?

(When Tiki activates)

Leo: I’m ready at anytime.

Tiki: Yup! I’ll try my best!

heads up. when i get an a support, i will add it in these posts accordingly. Any update to previous posts will be mention upon each new info post.

Edited by TheTuckingFypo

2 hours ago, Thany said:

well lets hope this ends with a happy ending, regardless, I find it interesting just how much unique diolauge Rowan and Lianna have for a majority of the characters in the game. in both dual attacks and just battles.

It kind of makes sense if you consider that they're meant to be the 'avatars' of the game; having the plot center around their kingdom's plight and all that. I do think it's kind of interesting that the twins don't even know who any of these characters are; it's like the reverse of Heroes where Alfonse and Shareena have knowledge of virtually every hero...

On 11/20/2017 at 12:58 AM, Nanima said:

I guess they're frenemies. lol

Dude, I relate so much. As soon as I unlocked Xander and Ryoma I was like, wait this has to be a thing, right?

Put it to the test; lo and behold:

Spoiler

"Let's see that Hoshidan force!" "Understood. Let's go, Prince of Nohr!"

or Ryoma initiates:

"Prince of Nohr, I ask for your assistance." "Then you shall have it, Prince Ryoma!"

It's so goooooooood. :KnollRoll:

I generally don't play paired up all that much, except in Arena stages, but I was positively elated that they put in this effort.

Is the scope of this topic to post the quotes and have them compiled yet? Or is there another topic for that? Because I'm game. :B):

Sakura and Anna have a unique pair up dialogue for their Pair Up Musou...can't remember what they say for both the normal and A rank version though.

Also, you can generally tell when someone has a generic Pair Up Musou line by what they say. Example, Ryoma's line for non-A rank when supporting is "We'll show them our strength!" while Sakura's generic line when the Vanguard is "I'll do all I can!".

• 4 weeks later...

Grief Arena Lv27 upon severely injuring Niles and Owain enters:

Owain: The legendary Heir to the throne of darkness has arrived!

Niles: Thanks for the assist, partner. I mean... Owain.

Owain: Partner? So you have awoken to our bond, Broth-- (voice changes to less dramatic) Hey, don't walk away!

Got a good laugh out of me.