The Everyday Life of Heroes - Official FEH Manga (with translations)! Ch. 100!!! (10/23)

Coolmanio

I did saw the Bonus Page that Chrom asks Hrid about his younger sisters. Isn't Gunnthra suppose to be the eldest child of the Nifl Family and older than Hrid as well? I do recall remembering the Book II chapters where Hrid and Ylgr were introduced had Fjorm explained where the order of their siblings' birth she mentioned was Gunnthra, Hrid, Fjorm, and Ylgr.

It's nice to see Eir gotten to appear in the Fire Emblem Heroes Manga.

Edited by King Marth 64

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, King Marth 64 said:

I did saw the Bonus Page that Chrom asks Hdri about his younger sisters. Isn't Gunnthra suppose to be the eldest child of the Nifl Family and older than Hdri as well? I do recall remembering the Book II chapters where Hdri and Ylgr were introduced had Fjmor explained where the order of their siblings' birth she mentioned was Gunnthra, Hdri, Fjmor, and Ylgr.

It's nice to see Eir gotten to appear in the Fire Emblem Heroes Manga.

It's Hrid, not Hdri, and Fjorm, not Fjmor, firstly. And second, yeah, for some reason the game implies Gunnthra is the oldest, but the comics and website say Hrid is. There's gotta be some translation screwups or miscommunications between writers or something.

Edited by Anacybele

I laughed so hard at the character comics that by the end of it, I had tears in my eyes! Man, I love these things!

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

yeah, for some reason the game implies Gunnthra is the oldest, but the comics and website say Hrid is. There's gotta be some translation screwups or miscommunications between writers or something.

Actually, Hrid's the oldest. It says so in the Meet the Heroes thing, too. Gunnthra is the oldest princess of Nifl, but not the oldest sibling.

Edited by Mercakete

4 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Actually, Hrid's the oldest. It says so in the Meet the Heroes thing, too. Gunnthra is the oldest princess of Nifl, but not the oldest sibling.

I know, I said the website says this. But the game basically stated Gunnthra is the oldest because of what King Marth 64 pointed out. It's an actual inconsistency that's never been corrected.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I know, I said the website says this. But the game basically stated Gunnthra is the oldest because of what King Marth 64 pointed out. It's an actual inconsistency that's never been corrected.

Are you sure they weren't saying she was the oldest princess, specifically? I remember something like that and that it always felt like she was the oldest period, but then when Meet the Heroes pointed out that Hrid was the oldest, I realized that I couldn't think of it ever explicitly being stated in the game that she was older than Hrid. I think it was probably left ambiguous in book 2, with accidental implication on account of her being referred to as "oldest" (in this case, meaning "oldest princess" not "oldest sibling") several times. Plus, this new source (the comic) is also saying that Hrid is the oldest. So, that's 2 for-sure official sources vs 1 possible official source (which may have just never specified what they meant by "oldest" or been influenced by players misremembering details.)

So, I don't know if it's just a common misconception or an actual inconsistency, but I'm pretty sure the official (2 to 1 if anything) birth order is Hrid, Gunnthra, Fjorm, and finally Ylgr.

1 hour ago, Mercakete said:

Are you sure they weren't saying she was the oldest princess, specifically? I remember something like that and that it always felt like she was the oldest period, but then when Meet the Heroes pointed out that Hrid was the oldest, I realized that I couldn't think of it ever explicitly being stated in the game that she was older than Hrid. I think it was probably left ambiguous in book 2, with accidental implication on account of her being referred to as "oldest" (in this case, meaning "oldest princess" not "oldest sibling") several times. Plus, this new source (the comic) is also saying that Hrid is the oldest. So, that's 2 for-sure official sources vs 1 possible official source (which may have just never specified what they meant by "oldest" or been influenced by players misremembering details.)

So, I don't know if it's just a common misconception or an actual inconsistency, but I'm pretty sure the official (2 to 1 if anything) birth order is Hrid, Gunnthra, Fjorm, and finally Ylgr.

It's when Fjorm first tells you about her siblings, like King Marth 64 said. She basically lists them in order of their ages, starting with Gunnthra and then mentioning Hrid, then herself, and then Ylgr. This implies Gunnthra being the oldest.

4 hours ago, Anacybele said:

It's when Fjorm first tells you about her siblings, like King Marth 64 said. She basically lists them in order of their ages, starting with Gunnthra and then mentioning Hrid, then herself, and then Ylgr. This implies Gunnthra being the oldest.

Does she say specifically that the order in which she lists them is their birth order?

4 hours ago, Anacybele said:

And you would be incorrect Ana as in the Nifl forging bonds Japanese version Gunnthrá refers to Hrìd as "Nii-san" or older brother.  So it's three offical sources to one.  One being in game as well.

And because I was told to site my sources here is the gamepress link for you and anyone else who was curious:

https://fireemblem.gamepress.gg/q-a/nifl-siblings-ages

4 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

And you would be incorrect Ana as in the Nifl forging bonds Japanese version Gunnthrá refers to Hrìd as "Nii-san" or older brother.  So it's three offical sources to one.  One being in game as well.

And because I was told to site my sources here is the gamepress link for you and anyone else who was curious:

No, I would not be incorrect. I wasn't talking about Japanese dialogue. I was talking about English. I don't play the game in Japanese, obviously. And what you're saying implies there was probably a translation error or miscommunication, just as I've been saying.

5 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Does she say specifically that the order in which she lists them is their birth order?

Yeah.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah.

Okay. In that case, I agree: there was a translation error in Fjorm's bit of dialogue. Ah, and why the Japanese bit matters is because that's the original language it was written in, and is so the more official source.

18 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Okay. In that case, I agree: there was a translation error in Fjorm's bit of dialogue. Ah, and why the Japanese bit matters is because that's the original language it was written in, and is so the more official source.

Yeah, I'm aware. It does matter more, that's why I brought up the idea of a translation error.

17 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Actually, I just managed to refound the source of this conversation about the siblings' birth line was in Book II, Chapter 9, Part 5. I did seen this is where Fjorm mentions it when Loki disguises as Ylgr to meet up with the order of Heroes where she said Gunnthra as the first and Hrid as the second. (Time stamp beings around 17:25)

Edited by King Marth 64

In English, the line is

This is my sister, Ylgr. She's the youngest of the four of us. Gunnthra, our brother Hrid, me, and then Ylgr.

In Japanese, the line is

皆様、この子はユルグ… 私たち兄弟は四人… スリーズ姉様、フリーズ兄様、私、ユルグ…

Everyone, this is Ylgr. There are four of us siblings, Gunnthra-neesama, Hrid-niisama, me, and Ylgr.

There is no direct implication that they are in order by age. We simply know that Gunnthra and Hrid are older than Fjorm and that Ylgr is younger. It can be interpreted the they are in order by age, which is why the English localization does so, but the ambiguity means that there isn't anything in this line that contradicts Hrid being the eldest.

You can chalk this one up to the localization team.

7 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

In English, the line is

This is my sister, Ylgr. She's the youngest of the four of us. Gunnthra, our brother Hrid, me, and then Ylgr.

In Japanese, the line is

皆様、この子はユルグ… 私たち兄弟は四人… スリーズ姉様、フリーズ兄様、私、ユルグ…

Everyone, this is Ylgr. There are four of us siblings, Gunnthra-neesama, Hrid-niisama, me, and Ylgr.

There is no direct implication that they are in order by age. We simply know that Gunnthra and Hrid are older than Fjorm and that Ylgr is younger. It can be interpreted the they are in order by age, which is why the English localization does so, but the ambiguity means that there isn't anything in this line that contradicts Hrid being the eldest.

You can chalk this one up to the localization team.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I was saying before that it was probably a dumb mistake by the localization team.

12 hours ago, silverserpent said:

ugh...beach maps...where only fliers and mages are viable...Byleth is so not salty. I find it interesting that F!Byleth looks more pleased about swimsuit attire whereas M!Byleth is more "meh" about the whole thing.

Seems more like Boyleth is taking the question seriously and trying to come up with the most accurate answer while F!Byleth is trying to recruit people to her house by being as friendly as possible. Lunch invite in 3...2...