The Everyday Life of Heroes - Official FEH Manga (with translations)! Ch. 100!!! (10/23)

Coolmanio

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

The continent of Valentia is the same as Valm inĀ Awakening. Any continent not in the same world as Akaneia-Valentia is surely connected by the Outrealm Gate (there is also a moderately well-supported theory that the Dragon Gates of Akaneia are directly linked to the Dragon Gates of Elibe).

Ahh, neat! Thanks for providing the extra info! I wondered about that -- the dragon gate thing. Do you think it's Askr/Embla which connects them? They sure have similar abilities, it seems.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Whoa, okay, that's taking it a little far. With respect, the creator of a story has the final say on what's canon or not. Not the player. If anyone wants to, they can choose ignorance, but that doesn't change facts. Just because one person thinks that something should be organized a certain way doesn't mean that they get the final say on whether things actually get organized that way or not, unless that person is also the creator of the creation in question.

Well, I suppose that's my rule of thumb since as a creator myself I tend to consider anything that isn't in the 'main' story isn't canon.

Ā 

It's like when a book is published, you can't change it when it's printed you can't change it without printing a different version, thus creating an alternate universe/reality.Ā  Basically any DLC to me is that.Ā  Even if Fates has Easter eggs that nod to Awakening DLC it's not attached to the main game of Awakening that the player experiences thus isn't really canon.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

The continent of Valentia is the same as Valm inĀ Awakening. Any continent not in the same world as Akaneia-Valentia is surely connected by the Outrealm Gate (there is also a moderately well-supported theory that the Dragon Gates of Akaneia are directly linked to the Dragon Gates of Elibe).

Given the presence of both the Deadlords and the Jugdral Holy Weapons in Ylisse (there was a chapter in Awakening where Aversa summons the Deadlords, and some of them are holding the Holy Weapons from Jugdral), a semi-throw away line in Robin's supports with Sumia where she states that "Ribald Tales of the Faith War" is based off true events, as well as Naga's presence in Jugdral, it's safe to also assume that Jugdral is a part of the same world as Archanea and Valentia, though far away enough that it has no presence in the story of Awakening.
The existence of the other continents in the FE series within the world of SD/SoV/NMotE/Awak seems to be limited to stories and legends.

12 hours ago, Xenomata said:

Given the presence of both the Deadlords and the Jugdral Holy Weapons in Ylisse (there was a chapter in Awakening where Aversa summons the Deadlords, and some of them are holding the Holy Weapons from Jugdral), a semi-throw away line in Robin's supports with Sumia where she states that "Ribald Tales of the Faith War" is based off true events, as well as Naga's presence in Jugdral, it's safe to also assume that Jugdral is a part of the same world as Archanea and Valentia, though far away enough that it has no presence in the story of Awakening.
The existence of the other continents in the FE series within the world of SD/SoV/NMotE/Awak seems to be limited to stories and legends.

I believe there is already some published source indicating that Jugdral and Akaneia are in the same world.

On 10/19/2019 at 1:59 AM, TheSilentChloey said:

Well, I suppose that's my rule of thumb since as a creator myself I tend to consider anything that isn't in the 'main' story isn't canon.

Ā 

It's like when a book is published, you can't change it when it's printed you can't change it without printing a different version, thus creating an alternate universe/reality.Ā  Basically any DLC to me is that.Ā  Even if Fates has Easter eggs that nod to Awakening DLC it's not attached to the main game of Awakening that the player experiences thus isn't really canon.

Your example is not really the best. DLC, especially since it derives from the expansions PC games used to get, isn't something that changes the story of the game you bought. That would be a patch.

It's more like a new story, a new small book made by the author. A sequel/prequel/side story. Would you call the small books George R. R. Martin wrote about events in the past of the Song of Ice and Fire non-canon? Just because they aren't part of the main books?

It's one thing to call DLCs and additional stories "small stuff/not that important", but to call it not-canon is a bit much. By that logic it would be impossible to learn new information about any fictional world after the story ends.

Which is especially strange since some DLCs are made with the PURPOSE of expanding the story. If the DLC for Echoes about the rise of the Deliverance is non-canon, then it's a scam. That DLC adds no additional items or in-game benefits. We are buying it just for the story. If that story isn't true, what are they selling us? A misleading AU?

We either believe that it's canon, or we believe that they are liars, it's one or the other.

Ā 

And if your argument for it being non-canon is that not all players bought it....

...well not all players of Path of Radiance bought Radiant Dawn, does that mean RD isn't canon? What you decide to personally spend money on isn't relevant for canonicity arguments.

On 10/19/2019 at 9:33 AM, Ice Dragon said:

I believe there is already some published source indicating that Jugdral and Akaneia are in the same world.

Kaga said this directly back in 1996, Genealogy's release year.:

Tsukamoto:Ā Even though the game is named ā€˜Fire Emblemā€™, the Fire Emblem itself didnā€™t appear much in this game.Ā Does this game have completely no relation to the previous titles, even through ancestors of characters and such?

Kagaā€™s comment:Ā Since this game wasnā€™t intended to be part of theĀ Fire EmblemĀ series at first, the Fire Emblem was only included later so as to give significance to the title; thatā€™s why it doesnā€™t really have much meaning in this game. After all, the Fire Emblem was originally the emblem of Archanea. You can think of this game as a sort of side-story to the other games.

Kagaā€™s comment:Ā This game is set in the same world as Archanea from ā€˜Mystery of the Emblemā€™. This continent exists in the same world as Archanea, but the two do not interact. Think of it as how Asia and Europe were 1000 years ago.
Bishop Galle travelling to Archanea and attaining Loptyrā€™s power is one of the only interactions between the two continents; he probably visited Archanea as part of his travels. Archanea was where dragonkind prospered.

Ā 

Ā 

Galle's acquiring of Loptous's power is what leads to the Loptous Empire. That leads to oppression of the Jugdrali continent, that leads Forseti and Naga to help save it from their evil brethren Loptous. That leads to them creating the Crusaders and their bloodlines and divine weapons, the Crusaders destroy the Loptous Empire and kill Loptous's human host, the Crusaders establish most countries in Jugdral. The death of the Loptous Empire leads to cultists wanting to bring it back, and thus, FEs 4 and 5 happen.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Having three competing translations is particularly valuable for the more punny strips. If we only ever had an official one, for instance, that Hel on Wheels punchline might never have landed. (Yes, that's still my favourite bit from the entire 100 strip run)

Edited by Humanoid

I prefer the new official translation now that I see both. Sorry, Coolmanio. xP

EHh6AktU0AArEEF?format=jpg&name=medium

Here it is for anyone else that wants to see and compare. I just think Ranulf is funnier in this version. XD And Seliph's and Leif's wording is nicer too imo. Also, alliteration in the title ftw!

Edited by Anacybele

16 hours ago, Xenomata said:

Cat-valry units.

HAAAAA nice one!

As for the comic itself, poor Ranulf and Lethe! I feel bad for them. =( ...And for Leif and Seliph.

@AnacybeleFor future reference, don't say out loud "sorry but I prefer this" when talking to someone in regards to their work, especially if they're not a company employee or whatever doing said work for free. No matter your intentions, that comes off rude; if someone goes through all the trouble to translate, and you tell them that someone else did it better, no question it would understandably demoralize or anger them, and no amount of "sorry"s in advance can nullify that.

Best to keep it to yourself and say "hey, the official's not too bad!" You get to say your opinion, you don't devalue another's work, everyone's happy.

14 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

@AnacybeleFor future reference, don't say out loud "sorry but I prefer this" when talking to someone in regards to their work, especially if they're not a company employee or whatever doing said work for free. No matter your intentions, that comes off rude; if someone goes through all the trouble to translate, and you tell them that someone else did it better, no question it would understandably demoralize or anger them, and no amount of "sorry"s in advance can nullify that.

Best to keep it to yourself and say "hey, the official's not too bad!" You get to say your opinion, you don't devalue another's work, everyone's happy.

Devalue? I didn't insult his work, I just said what I preferred. It isn't like I said Coolmanio's sucks or anything. šŸ˜•

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Devalue? I didn't insult his work, I just said what I preferred. It isn't like I said Coolmanio's sucks or anything. šŸ˜•

you didn't necessarily but it could be interpreted that way is basically what noir is saying here.Ā 

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Comparing one to another and saying the other is better is devaluing one's work. It's like if you drew a picture of Ike and someone showed up to say, "Sorry, but this picture of Ike by this person is better". That person didn't need to say that to you. You wouldn't like that, right? What's the point?

It may be your opinion, but you don't need to tell people you prefer one person's work over the other if it's not necessary. Sometimes, things are better off not being said (especially when saying it doesn't really help the conversation), and it's important to know when to keep things to yourself.

1 minute ago, NoirCore said:

Comparing one to another and saying the other is better is devaluing one's work. It's like if you drew a picture of Ike and someone showed up to say, "Sorry, but this picture of Ike by this person is better". That person didn't need to say that to you. You wouldn't like that, right? What's the point? ļ»æ

Sure, when you put it that way, it seems random and unnecessary, because nobody was talking about that other artist beforehand. But in this case, the official English translation of this comic was brought up, so there was nothing wrong with me then saying I preferred said translation.