Fire Emblem 7 Redux

Winmillion21

Lately, I have been thinking about redesigning Fire emblem 7/ Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken. I am able to do this myself but I want a little opinion first.

General Idea: Make the game Easy at first but get harder much faster. Items now give stat boosts such as an Iron sword giving plus one speed. I also want those annoying fog of war chapters COMPLETELY removed. There will be more enemies to make up for that. Most characters will also have edited Stat growths.

Custom Classes: I am making a few new classes just for this. I might talk about them later.

I just thought I would let anyone who sees this know about this. Lemme know if you think if something is broken or unfair etc.

Thanks for looking. https://imgur.com/a/tAl5K for some pictures.

Update 1: Staffs can be used in combat now. Most deal little or no damage. MOST staves have double uses to make up for this.  Items stats boosts will also be changed.

Update 2: New custom class added. Check em out.

Update 3: Soldiers (Now called Lancers) can class upgrade into a general VIA Hero Crest. Playable demo planned soon.

Update 4: First playable demo.  *Link removed*

Update 5: Yes I'm still alive. The project isn't dead. The "Hero Lord" class will be Mirage's Class up. I sadly have no video to show this due to the rom crashing from an invalid class id. So I just need to do some quick fixes.

Update 6: It's almost here. Just playtesting and more placements of stuff and it will be done. Sadly cant finish it right now.

Update 7: Behold! The Demo has finally arrived! With this demo you can experience Chapters 1 to Chapter 12. Let me get some feedback and if there are any bugs let me know please. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KvgL8ffP4nq-wF9JrGYZA6aVVeElscxN/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Winmillion21
new content

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be easier to understand if you could make an example map, and post a screenshot of enemy layout/some stats for both allies and enemies.  I don't mind if difficulty is achieved via clever enemy placement.  I do mind if it's because the enemy has ten more stats in everything than your characters.

stealing mah brand

My suggestions would be:

• You should balance around base stats more than growths.
  • Keep growths to a minimum in order to prevent stat inflation (including for enemies). ~250% total growths on average is the best balance between player satisfaction and minimising power creep IMO. If you're making mid/late game harder then it means that base stats can carry units further while still being very challenging.
  • Adjust units around niches or strengths/weaknesses as opposed to making them "balanced". Buffing Dorcas's speed technically makes him better, but I think most people would prefer if he was improved in the strengths he already has. Higher STR/SKL will also make him a better unit, but in a way that still feels like Dorcas. Or for someone like Rececca, increasing her base SPD would be better than base STR, since again, that fits her archetype. Same thing with Eliwood but with RES etc etc...
  • Consider how a harder mid/late game affects unit balance. Marcus might not necessarily need much of a nerf if early game becomes easier in relation to later parts of the game (contrary to the original game). In the same way, someone like Nino might become too essential if you over-buff them etc...
  • Don't necessarily remove Fog of War -- most people think it's fine and creates some variance. Maps like CH13x would be less interesting as a result. Just balance around FoW; a well designed map can certainly work with it. 
  • Stat boosts/penalties on items could be part of some weapons but not on all/most of them. You risk bogging down the game with forcing the player to constantly calculate enemy strength assuming the game is challenging. It depends how consistent you're willing to make it. If all lances increase DEF by a couple points or swords increase SPD etc... then apply the same boost to all weapons of that type so that it doesn't become convoluted. FE Fates generally has a pretty good balance of this, with buffs/penalties on weapons mostly making sense and easy to calculate at a glance. Again, just be consistent. If a steel lance grants say, +2 DEF, then either make all lances or all steel weapons do the same. Avoid giving inconsistent boosts to things arbitrarily. 
  • Avoid change for the sake of change. Lyn's palette just doesn't seem to fit the purpose of the hack. You have to keep in mind that the audience for a hack is going to be specific -- so cater to that audience and don't put them off it. 
  • Custom classes are fine if they're meaningful or as an ode to other Fire Emblems. Concepts such as a thief promotion using staves (Trickster) would be fun includes for example. Probably best not to overdo it though. My suggestion is to include this solely for unit identity. If you want to separate Dorcas/Bartre with a new promoted class for either one of them then go for it. But someone like Eliwood or Canas? Would be pretty pointless because they already have a class/unit identity. It would otherwise be change for the sake of change unless you come up with something really interesting for them.
  • Play testing and iteration is more important than anything else. Do not just make a whole lot of changes and then release it. This is by far the most important thing. Test a map 10-20 times with tweaks in-between each test and re-iterate. I can guarantee that the hack will be far better off for it.
  • Make the experience good for a blind player. It's very easy to design something with your own knowledge of how it should play out. So even with testing on your end, it could potentially be a bad experience for a blind player who won't immediately play optimally like you would (as the designer who intends for a map to be played in a particular way).
Edited by Dunal

3 hours ago, Dunal said:

stealing mah brand

My suggestions would be:

• You should balance around base stats more than growths.
  • Keep growths to a minimum in order to prevent stat inflation (including for enemies). ~250% total growths on average is the best balance between player satisfaction and minimising power creep IMO. If you're making mid/late game harder then it means that base stats can carry units further while still being very challenging.
  • Adjust units around niches or strengths/weaknesses as opposed to making them "balanced". Buffing Dorcas's speed technically makes him better, but I think most people would prefer if he was improved in the strengths he already has. Higher STR/SKL will also make him a better unit, but in a way that still feels like Dorcas. Or for someone like Rececca, increasing her base SPD would be better than base STR, since again, that fits her archetype. Same thing with Eliwood but with RES etc etc...
  • Consider how a harder mid/late game affects unit balance. Marcus might not necessarily need much of a nerf if early game becomes easier in relation to later parts of the game (contrary to the original game). In the same way, someone like Nino might become too essential if you over-buff them etc...
  • Don't necessarily remove Fog of War -- most people think it's fine and creates some variance. Maps like CH13x would be less interesting as a result. Just balance around FoW; a well designed map can certainly work with it. 
  • Stat boosts/penalties on items could be part of some weapons but not on all/most of them. You risk bogging down the game with forcing the player to constantly calculate enemy strength assuming the game is challenging. It depends how consistent you're willing to make it. If all lances increase DEF by a couple points or swords increase SPD etc... then apply the same boost to all weapons of that type so that it doesn't become convoluted. FE Fates generally has a pretty good balance of this, with buffs/penalties on weapons mostly making sense and easy to calculate at a glance. Again, just be consistent. If a steel lance grants say, +2 DEF, then either make all lances or all steel weapons do the same. Avoid giving inconsistent boosts to things arbitrarily. 
  • Avoid change for the sake of change. Lyn's palette just doesn't seem to fit the purpose of the hack. You have to keep in mind that the audience for a hack is going to be specific -- so cater to that audience and don't put them off it. 
  • Custom classes are fine if they're meaningful or as an ode to other Fire Emblems. Concepts such as a thief promotion using staves (Trickster) would be fun includes for example. Probably best not to overdo it though. My suggestion is to include this solely for unit identity. If you want to separate Dorcas/Bartre with a new promoted class for either one of them then go for it. But someone like Eliwood or Canas? Would be pretty pointless because they already have a class/unit identity. It would otherwise be change for the sake of change unless you come up with something really interesting for them.
  • Play testing and iteration is more important than anything else. Do not just make a whole lot of changes and then release it. This is by far the most important thing. Test a map 10-20 times with tweaks in-between each test and re-iterate. I can guarantee that the hack will be far better off for it.
  • Make the experience good for a blind player. It's very easy to design something with your own knowledge of how it should play out. So even with testing on your end, it could potentially be a bad experience for a blind player who won't immediately play optimally like you would (as the designer who intends for a map to be played in a particular way).

I tested Lyn's Prologue about 17 times just to make sure its ok. ALL weapons will boost a certain stat.

Swords + 1 Speed. Axes +1 Defence. Lances + 1 Power. Anima and Dark + 5 luck. Light +1 Power and 4 Luck.

I get what you mean by Fog of wars but I don't see a single way to make them interesting. Playing Binding blade killed my taste for Fog of war chapters. Every time I play chapter 14 I just use a cheat to give Roy 20 Move for 10 turns. Most units will have a Slightly lowered growth in their best stats but increased lower stats. Such as 40 Percent for RES on Eliwood but lower His hp to like 65.

10 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

A redesign, huh? Well, sure, but that Lyn color pallete looks off. White hair doesn't suit her.

Eh? I like It. but this is just more of a concept. It won't stay like that. It's like that until I choose a better palette.

1) Will as a ballistican seems nice, high stat caps in exchange for terrible speed and movement and all that. It looks like fun though!

2) How come Sain is a soldier? I do love a playable soldier class but why sain specifically? would his growths be changed slightly or drastically since hes supposed to be in the Abel and Cain archetype?

regardless, i'm starting to get interested in trying out this hack.

Edited by FranRedStar

8 hours ago, FranRedStar said:

1) Will as a ballistican seems nice, high stat caps in exchange for terrible speed and movement and all that. It looks like fun though!

2) How come Sain is a soldier? I do love a playable soldier class but why sain specifically? would his growths be changed slightly or drastically since hes supposed to be in the Abel and Cain archetype?

regardless, i'm starting to get interested in trying out this hack.

Sain was a soldier by mistake. Didn't mean to change him but It's Lyn's story. He will be back as a Cavalier after I change it. Plus I am NOT changing his growths.His growths are good enough.

6 hours ago, Winmillion21 said:

Sain was a soldier by mistake. Didn't mean to change him but It's Lyn's story. He will be back as a Cavalier after I change it. Plus I am NOT changing his growths.His growths are good enough.

Alright Understandable, though i do want a playable soldier. Do you plan on changing one of the characters as a soldier?

1 hour ago, FranRedStar said:

Alright Understandable, though i do want a playable soldier. Do you plan on changing one of the characters as a soldier?

If I were to add a playable Lancer (The name of a soldier here) they would have the Jagen archetype. High stats but low growths. No idea who would be a Lancer though...

Gave it a shot. Cut for images and things.

Spoiler

2MEOTcC.png

Like many others, I'm iffy on purple Lyn.

It's a bit boring how the best move here is to just sit on the fort and wait for them to suicide. At least make the fort a tile you can move to on the first round to give the player a reason to advance.

Batta is kind of obnoxiously tanky without the scripted crit.

238H47v.png

What is with all these green units?! They have no explanation, it just takes time watching them mill about, it adds nothing to the map. Also I thought you said Sain wasn't going to be a soldier?

yIsKrkJ.png

Oh, sorry, "lancer". Why is he level 10 with 11 HP?!

0rQWgdc.png

Oh my loooollll the ballistician is so broken. FE7 is not built for portable siege weapons, much less 55 use, 100 accuracy ones.

JehzXl5.png

It's "a lot", with a space. Also the ALL CAPS seem unprofessional. Why change the description at all? Why have it at all? You could just add more gold to the house that already gives 2k if you think the player needs more.

FzbqfrZ.png

The only use for this shop used to be buying an iron lance for Florina so she could actually do damage, why remove it, why.... is what I'd be saying except more and tankier enemies meant I was actually starting to run low on iron swords (!). I still think it needs iron lances because with Florina's starting strength, the slim lance is butt.

...Granted, it's not as if Kent uses his a whole lot since you face 94% axe users, but still.

gzFxX1i.png

Dorcas is a green unit who... decided to take on the whole bandit band before we even talked to him? This doesn't seem to make sense.

EaZNBRq.png

That is not Erk and it is not a boy.

Je1QI0c.png

Omae  wa  mou  shindeiru.

8R2l6pl.png

Attacking him results in "no damage" but he disappears from the map.

Perhaps he was never really there to begin with...

0QJpbKZ.png

Oh my fucking lol Serra why no that is not how you heal people!

...Wait, that actually worked?

Serra how

7rllzvN.png

Just noticing Wil seems to have innate 20 crit or something, because he really needed to be better (this is sarcasm he did not need to be better).

OY2Gekp.png

It happened again... (also yes Sain and Florina are gone because I lost them to really low% hits on the Dorcas map and didn't bother restarting)

GUF12LM.png

He has  ̪̟̟̟̲̮̾ͣ̓̈̾̇n̷͕̉̓o͗́ ̜̘̩͖͕̻̾͐̓͛l̛͙̬͇̪͌̅ͅi̺͍̯ͮ̋̅͆̚f̦͎̖͇̝̦̳ͮͫ͐ͭ̀̂̕e̵͓͚̖̠̞ ͭso you c͓̟͌̾̊̐̂ͅa̩͓̹̼̭͡n͔̝̫̦̫͍͎͐͞n͚̳͕͉͚͉͒ot͎̗̱͍̪̦̲͆̀ ͈̠̊ͦ̆ͨk͕͔͙̩i̧̱̰̣̟ͥ͐l̩̈͟ḻ̥̙͎̳̗̦ͫͪ ̵͈̺̼̏͐̌͗́͐ͣh̹ͦ͋̚i̽͜m̆͊

Isxiymv.png

I put Serra in attack range and she took zero damage. I just realized she gets +3 def from her staff.

It's a good idea, but the squishy priest should probably not take zero damage.

y1VTro3.png

Aaannnd that's a freeze. Resetting the emulator and picking resume fixed it though.

Also, this green castle floor looks kind of out of place, it wasn't like that originally was it?

IqXFFxG.png

Annnnd that's another freeze, same as the first.

kgZvxH7.png

This is just an obnoxious amount of beef for a unit who's entirely harmless.

93db6gH.png

Also he calls me a cheater for whatever reason when all it takes to kill him is plinking away with ranged weapons until he keels over (also effective damage).

All in all, aside from the portable ballista breaking the game balance over its knee, the changes are... okay. I don't see anything I outright hate and there are some neat ideas (staves giving bonuses when held), but it comes across as padded because there are more enemies and they seem to take more hits than they used to, and it doesn't make the maps more interesting, just longer.

9 hours ago, Kirb1337 said:

Dont share roms, use NUPS to create a .ups patch instead.

5 hours ago, vilkalizer said:

Gave it a shot. Cut for images and things.

All in all, aside from the portable ballista breaking the game balance over its knee, the changes are... okay. I don't see anything I outright hate and there are some neat ideas (staves giving bonuses when held), but it comes across as padded because there are more enemies and they seem to take more hits than they used to, and it doesn't make the maps more interesting, just longer.

1) Ok, I will create a .ups patch. Thank you.

2) I forgot about sain again. Wow. Must've screwed it up in a few parts. I forgot to save when editing the Text to say lute instead of Erk. Also, you aren't supposed to beat that boss without using the goddess icon. I also screwed up in the music part as when I checked his music the track was set to 877777715. All in all, I screwed up. The second version will fix all of this. Also just realized there are lots of errors such as the triple ally. I only meant to have that one lancer and to remove those other two bandits. I kinda suck at this. I will restart just to fix all these errors. It will take a while but whatever. Thank you vilkalizer.

Edited by Winmillion21

1 hour ago, FranRedStar said:

Why is Chapter 7x just blank completely? the map itself is a blank open space with no design.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I am starting over so ignore that until the next update.

1 hour ago, Winmillion21 said:

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I am starting over so ignore that until the next update.

Alright! Main reason why i brought it up was because i wasn't sure where would the changes stop appearing in the first demo

FE7_Redux_V1_1511452195608[1].png