Valkyria Chronicles 4 announced for every console

The DanMan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been busy so hadn't taken the time to read through the pictures and commentary properly until now when it's emotionally convenient to procrastinate. You noticed and remarked on much more than I ever could have!

Spoiler

I'm particularly curious about the naval imagery. I'd also assume it's all related to what seems to be a landship. So maybe nothing on the sea after all? Though it appears to be either gliding on ice or sliding through water? I can't quite tell because of the angle. It just feels like sea ships would be quite reasonable given the whole northern border of the Empire is a long coast.

4 hours ago, lyscalibur said:

I've been busy so hadn't taken the time to read through the pictures and commentary properly until now when it's emotionally convenient to procrastinate. You noticed and remarked on much more than I ever could have!

Hide contents

I'm particularly curious about the naval imagery. I'd also assume it's all related to what seems to be a landship. So maybe nothing on the sea after all? Though it appears to be either gliding on ice or sliding through water? I can't quite tell because of the angle. It just feels like sea ships would be quite reasonable given the whole northern border of the Empire is a long coast.

Yeah, I just really like the series, and find it all very interesting (I'm assuming you're referring to my post, anyway).  I want to absorb as much info as possible, and it is as much a help for myself as it may be for others to lay out my thoughts in a post like that.

Spoiler

Now that you mention the ship, we never actually see the lower half of it.  It'd be pretty damn impressive if they built a warship that can sail through a glacier/arctic location like that.  Not that it's out of the realm of possibility; VC is chock full of interesting feats, and you only need to look so far as VC1's very own protagonist and exceptionally brilliant 16 year old sister to know that.  I only assumed it was a landship because of the one that existed in VC1, to be totally honest.

And another thing about the Feds in suits...  I just noticed their cuffs contain specific numbers of gold rungs.  The younger men only have two, the ladies have three, and the old man has four.  Typically in large military forces like that, stuff like the number of off-color rungs on the cuffs are indicative of rank or experience, so I think we can extrapolate that the young men are the least seasoned, the women are in the middle, and the old man has the most experience/highest rank.

Apologies for double-posting, but I stumbled upon some news, and no one else had mentioned it yet.

So I was looking at the Wiki today, and apparently Famitsu put out an article on VC4 last week.  Gematsu summarized the article here, and that's where all my info comes from.

I'll provide the relevant pictures and descriptions of the characters, and share thoughts on the details in the spoiler below.  It's all about the antagonists and something called the "Brave System".

Spoiler

I will italicize original transcripts from the article/wiki, and besides names and section names, I will bold my own remarks.

eWJc2SP.png

Crymaria Levinc

The Valkyria known as the “Witch of the Snowstorm.” She is the special duty captain of “X-0,” which is the Imperial Science Institution’s special test unit. Because she was forced to live as an experiment at the Valkyria Experimental Facility, she has a strong inferiority complex. She acts alongside her friend, a wolf named Fenrir.

So immediately we know about our Valkyrur friend.  She has a similar background to Selvaria it would seem, though she does not seem to share the same personality or loyalties.  Once again, our Valkyrur reports to a higher level of authority, who I'll talk about later.  And all the antagonists we've seen are from this test unit, aside from Klaus.

She also has wolf friend, so obviously she's a good person deep down; after all, anyone who befriends animals can't be bad people.  In all seriousness though, I find it interesting that she "acts alongside" the wolf.  I wonder what that's supposed to mean...

GwjiXVt.png

Forseti (also called "Forse" by the Wiki for some reason)

Tactical commander of the X-0 Imperial military unit that appears countless times before the protagonist and company. He injured his leg and thus does not participate directly in battle. He has great confidence in himself and is always composed.

So our glaring menace walks on a cane...  Damn, no wonder he looks like he hates life.  He's fighting a war on a gimped leg.

He doesn't seem to be the leader per se, but rather takes on a role similar to protagonists in the series.  Probably the main rival to our group, and I say that because his description is the only one that mentions our characters at all.  Though with him being gimped like this, I wonder how or if we'll ever fight him.

aLLFoxt.png

Belgar

The supervisor of X-0. He is of noble background and is an executive at the Imperial science institution. He has the authority of an admiral, and X-0 are his chess pieces.

Seems very much like a Berthold Gregor 2.0 from that description, except instead of trains, he's into science.  Also seems to be less empathetic than Gregor; I wonder if he has fondness for anyone at all.  I think since he might be the one overseeing the others in X-0, he might be more of a strategic commander.

I'll take this time to also talk more about X-0.  Kind of interesting that they're running combat experiments and tests during times of actual warfare.  Aside from their experiments with the Valkyrur, I wonder what other tests they're running?  Since the theme of winter is thrown around a lot, maybe their tests have something to do with weather in warfare.  Possibly using the power of the Valkyrur to manipulate the weather at will?

jQU8Sk2.png

Chiara Rocino (or Kiara Rodino)

A special member of X-0. She and Nikola were brought up together like sisters at the Imperial research institution. She is assigned the duty of eliminating Belgar’s enemies. She has a sadistic personality.

V4yd5Um.png

Nikola Gref (or Nikola Graf)

A special member of X-0. Like Chiara, she acts as Belgar’s bodyguard. She is sadistic as well, but unlike Chiara, Nikola is the malicious type.

So it sounds like I was at least partially right about these girls.  Don't know if they're orphans, but those descriptions seems to imply as much.

So these must be Belgar's Right and Left Hands.  What I find confusing is Nikola's says she's more the "malicious type".  So what, does that basically mean that Kiara's just sadistic for the hell of it, while Nikola's holding some kind of grudge or spite against people?

I'm unsure, and I don't know if we'll get sympathetic moments out of almost any of these characters in X-0.  Besides maybe Crymaria and Forseti, X-0 seems to be home to a lot of villainy.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course...  But it just makes me wonder how things will be approached for this.  VC's known for making even the scummiest villains at least a little sympathetic.  Even Berthold Gregor, who pretty much always looks like he's angry and is an elitist, racist dickhead.

W1GSNNT.png

Klaus Walz

The captain of “Ausbruch,” an independent gang of the Imperial army. He is a veteran commander who charges into battle with the strong conviction to “protect the people living in the Empire.” He battles riding in his personal tank.

So we have friggin' gangs in this now?  Have these people been reading my LP where I made Lynn and Jane out to be ruthless gangsters?

Seriously, I've been all over with this series, and I've almost seldom heard about gangs at all.  So I guess the Empire employed some ruffians, tidied them up so that they're more proper for the Empire, gave them tanks and advanced weaponry, and told them to have at the Feds.

So even though he seems quite wild, he has a very noble goal.  Like a Chaotic Good, essentially.  Perhaps there's a connection between him chasing down Claude's platoon and the supposed world-shattering "truths" that test loyalties within our own forces.  I wouldn't be surprised if we wound up doing something that somehow hurts innocent Imperial citizens, and this guy comes at us to avenge them... or maybe we've already done such a thing before all this even happens.

He also seems detached from X-0, so he likely has little ties to (and possibly even moral issues with) them.  He still seems like a spiritual successor to Radi Jaeger, so I think I'll end up liking this guy.

----------------------------------------------------

Brave System

When a soldier in your army is on the verge of death, there is a fixed chance that a new system called “Brave” will be activated. When Brave is activated, you can choose one from two options:

• “Entrust” – Restores one Command Point (CP) and increases the ability of a nearby ally.
  • “Rise Up” – Restores one Action Point (AP), and enables you to attack and move only once in an invincible state.

I think this here is an actual shot of the system in action:

hsqJCKh.png

There's something funny about that "new" sticker being placed at the bottom left of a picture of an injured Kai.

So yes, a brand new mechanic opening up more tactical options.

What I have to figure is that after choosing one option or the other, your unit then becomes incapacitated.  Either that, or it activates when your units reach a certain amount of HP, and you'll only die if you move them a second time and they're killed.  Either way, if you're really good at this game, you might not ever even see this.

I think this certainly opens up some interesting tactical situations.  Like if you run a scout ahead, and they get ambushed by shocktroopers, you could use the AP and invincibility to high tail your unit out of danger.  Or you can hand the CP off to someone more capable of taking down whatever foe threatens your units.  Basically more insurance for if you screw up, and it will probably lead to fewer resets and a more fluid game flow.

Also, I came upon a Japanese blog related to all this, and I saw some folks complaining about the Switch delay, lmao.

Crymaria looks suitably dressed for snowstorms...

I hope they show a video of the Brave System at some point. I'm having trouble picturing it for some reason. But I don't want to be suspicious of something new just because it's new and I'm uncreative. I agree it should open up more tactical options.

Thanks for posting and commenting on the news you've come across so far!

https://gematsu.com/2017/12/valkyria-chronicles-4-details-characters-battle-system-classes

In case it wasn't obvious that Valkyria Chronicles steals names from Europe, seems like they took the liberty of borrowing the capital of Scotland's for the VC4 army name, which may or may not train you for fighting in a frozen hellhole.

Edited by Tryhard

8 hours ago, Tryhard said:

Thanks for the link...

Some things caught my eye...

Additionally, in Valkyria Chronicles 4 if you detect an enemy you can counterattack by the new “Grenadier” class tossing a grenade. Grenade-based attacks can also be done from positions that are not directly visible, so be on the lookout.

Wait, what?  Grenadiers are capable of interception fire?  Am I reading this right?

Anyone here who has never played VC before has no idea how crazy a concept that is.  I'm assuming that on top of their regular mortars, they also have unlimited grenades... unless they changed it so that units can counterattack with limited ammunition.

Grenadier

A class that equips grenade launchers (mortars) and uses high-angle fire grenade attacks. It is possible for a Scout to gather information and a Grenadier to attack from behind cover outside the enemy’s line of sight, as well as counterattack an enemy not within your own line of sight.

So it's more like a sort of mortar barrage to hamper enemy advancement.

Damn, I didn't think that'd be how they do it.  That's actually kind of cool, but now I'm worried that my own units will suddenly get blown up while I'm trying to run them through a valley or something.

There's a picture of the medic I saw...  I can't upload it, but it seems she's the girl I pointed out in the one cutscene with Kai, except I got her hair color wrong; she's a brunette with brown eyes.

Engineer characters possess a “Rebirth Ragnaid” that is expected to have an even greater effect.

"Rebirth"?  Never heard it called that before.

Engineer

A class that specializes in recovery and replenishment on the front line. It can repair tanks and sandbags, as well as remove land mines. It possesses a “Ragnaid” that can revive front line soldiers on the verge of death, and can also replenish ammunition.

Again, not able to post the screenshots, but...

There's a shot of engineer dude (which, as I correctly assumed, is the class of bandanna guy) reviving a dead soldier.  So now engineers can act as much more immediate medics.

Since it refers to such soldiers as them being "on the verge of death", and since the Brave system happens when a soldier is "on the verge of death", I can only assume that means that when a soldier reaches 0 HP, the Brave System activates.  So it looks to be the martyr route.

Lancer

A class that specializes in tank destruction. It is equipped with a high armor damage ability anti-tank lance, which essentially makes it the only class capable of destroying a tank. Also, it is resistant against blast attacks such as high-explosive projectiles. Since the range of its anti-tank lance is relatively long, it is not suitable for precision-based shooting, so it is important to get closer before attacking. However, because the Lancer does not have high movement power, it is necessary to keep an eye on its AP as not to run out.

Right, so it seems lancers have... a bit better accuracy than in VC1.

Here's the thing, though.  Over the last three entries of VC, tank damage and critical shot damage in general has been retweaked to make them and other non-scout classes more viable.  In VC1, if you just loaded your scouts up with orders, they could easily destroy most tanks, run through a crazy blitz, one-shot any infantry foes, and of course do any of that while trekking further than any other soldier.

But in VC2 and VC3, headshot damage and tank radiator damage multipliers have been reduced in a way that you can't reliably do this anymore.  So I think VC4 will come with these changes, and so I don't think there's much that we need to worry about with lancers... even if they still seem kind of inaccurate (thought it's still better than my recollection of VC1's lancer accuracy).

Sniper

Not posting the whole text because...

Well, it seems snipers are mostly unchanged.

Which is fine.  I'm sure if Kai follows suit with other CP bearing units, she'll wind up being as OP a sniper as Marina was.

Overall, I actually think accuracy was a bit rebalanced so that classes have accuracy values that are closer together...

Like, I notice shocktroopers and lancers seem to be more accurate than normal.  Though it has been a while since I've played VC1 unmodded, so I don't quite remember how accurate the classes were in the beginning.

It just seems to me like they've balanced the game so that scouts aren't super powerful.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is due out for PlayStation 4 on March 21, 2018 and for Switch in summer 2018 in Japan, and for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Switch in 2018 in the Americas and Europe.

1a7qSSP.png

Still a very general release window for the West...

I at least hope the Switch gets close to the same release date as other consoles in the West, because I'm not using my brother's PS4 just so that I can play VC4 as soon as it hits shelves.

One more for the road.

She [Kai Schulen] loves fresh-made bread.

I somehow get a feeling that she needs to take a trip down to Bruhl and try a certain baker's goods.

Gallian Vacation DLC when?

Also like how the book in this game looks more like a war journal/notebook...  It makes it feel all the more like a war game somehow.  And what I'm hearing of the cast, I think I'm liking.  Riley sounds like she might be taking Isara's place as the intellectual engineer type in this game, Raz might be a mix between Cosette and Rosie without the racism, Kai is... not really like anyone in VC that I know, but still sounds nice, and Claude seems to be what I'd imagine Belgen Gunther was like (except probably more upbeat).

Seems like Engineers are taking aspects from Armored Techs-- not surprised. 

Not sure how I feel about bringing permadeath back-- VC3 doesn't have it, but losing a character (especially late game) had enough immediate ramifications that it didn't bother me and with how BS the evasion system is, makes me fear for VC4 a bit more.

On 12/10/2017 at 9:24 PM, Ertrick36 said:

So we have friggin' gangs in this now?  Have these people been reading my LP where I made Lynn and Jane out to be ruthless gangsters?

Seriously, I've been all over with this series, and I've almost seldom heard about gangs at all.  So I guess the Empire employed some ruffians, tidied them up so that they're more proper for the Empire, gave them tanks and advanced weaponry, and told them to have at the Feds.

Or it's another Nameless/Calamity Raven situation where they act mostly autonomously while still answering to higher army authority.
Alternatively, they're deserters who are just taking what they can (and with the whole focus on an early, bitter winter, this seems like a real possibility).

Edited by The DanMan

I love that Riley is an engineer science type. Similar to Isara. But with all the evil scientist antagonists I think it's really important to have a character like her.

I hadn't realised Brave actions kick in only when a character loses all their HP. I like this. Earlier, I was concerned it would be a possibly easily exploitable super potential.

Making Engineers more versatile support units was a good move. And Grenadiers sound neat. They ought to be great for defensive maps. I guess they're also designed to counter the player using Scouts too recklessly?

22 hours ago, Tryhard said:

https://gematsu.com/2017/12/valkyria-chronicles-4-details-characters-battle-system-classes

In case it wasn't obvious that Valkyria Chronicles steals names from Europe, seems like they took the liberty of borrowing the capital of Scotland's for the VC4 army name, which may or may not train you for fighting in a frozen hellhole.

Yeah, that struck me as remarkably uncreative. At least United States of Vinland wasn't also directly lifted from a map...

• 2 weeks later...

Some more info has come out: https://gematsu.com/2017/12/valkyria-chronicles-4-introduces-four-new-characters-class-leveling

I won't be talking about the information right now 'cuz I'm busy chatting with a friend and playing Star Wars games.  There isn't much new information...  A few new characters (and we learn the name of the Doge), and apparently there'll be DLC where we get to roll with Welkin's gang.  I hope I get to play with Isara the God, Lynn the Destroyer, and Steve Blum.

Gameplay Features trailer from Yesterday: 

And 2 Game play videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuaezdGNtG8 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx5pkuEQfRk

info dump from these videos/yesterday's Stream

https://www.reddit.com/r/valkyria/comments/7mmr5z/massive_valkyria_chronicles_4_livestream_infodump/

have to say, i am pretty excited :D

Edited by Shrimperor

Thank you for the info dump, @Shrimperor.  I'll just say some disorganized, somewhat rushed thoughts about this.

• Looks more real-time.  I see bullets wizzing by as your soldiers take aim at the enemies.  Or at least, I think I did.  Very interesting.
  • HOLY SHIT, DOGGO COMES TO YOUR RESCUE WHEN YOU'RE DOWN!  HE TRULY IS MAN'S BEST FRIEND!
  • Yep, Mortarer's definitely have better range than any other mortars besides the specialized artillery tanks in VC2.  And it seems they can fuck up your tank while you're moving it, so you can no longer rely on moving the tank first as a save, easy method for clearing the way.
  • "Enemy AT cannons can now fire interception fire, just like in Gallian Crossfire."  Fuck.
  • "We see Minerva running around on the battlefield, so even though she is a CO, she will fight with the crew unlike Varrot in VC1."  Man, I wish I could use Varrot in VC1, though I think a better comparison is to Faldio instead, since her description says she's the leader of Platoon F.
  • "Ooh, they show off the character select and claim that the game will have over 50 characters." So... it's like VC1.
  • "It looks like the cast of this game is going to be way more diverse than any other Valkyria game, not just in skin colors but also with head shapes, eye shapes, and hairstyles." Again, like VC1.  I mean, VC1 didn't have characters with too diverse skin colors, but you had plenty of variety in other departments.  I don't think a single person used the same hairstyle as someone else in that game except the Sellers sisters (the medic from VC1) for a very obvious reason.
  • One of the characters' names is "Jester".  Will this be another Ted Ustinov, Jakob from FE Fates, or Jeffrey Monroe from Mass Effect?  I'm dying to know!
  • "Jester's potentials are Gambler (?), Heavily Indebted (n), Fancies Women (p)."  So Jeffrey Monroe from Mass Effect (minus the brittle bones) it is then, dipped in the sauce of that one guy from VC2 whose hair reminds me of Jack Black.
  • Lots of QoL improvements with UI, so I'll just sum my thoughts up by quoting the post.  "Thank you, UI guy."
  • "One of the anti-tank weapons that hits Claude inflicts "AP Regression", which is a status debuff that causes you to consume AP faster. This is a debuff introduced in VC3. Good luck, scout rushers."  Good, I've been so done with people talking about how scouts are the only units worth using.  The bastards needed to be ganked a little.  Goddamn you, Alicia.
  • "Loving that Gallian Crossfire ideals seem to be shared a few times with VC4."  Me too, person that I don't even know.  With my luck, they might even introduce sniper desert hell and force me to go on a rampage mission to slaughter all enemy snipers because I'll hate them so goddamn much.
  • "You can retreat units within base lines immediately without having to actually control the unit and it doesn't cost anything."  Good.  I hated forcing my units to run a few feet to the side and wasting a CP just so I could deploy them elsewhere.
  • "Kai has apparently trained under Solid Snake and has somehow stolen his ass textures."  No shit, it's pretty much the same ass that I've been staring at from all these years of playing codename innuendo.  As a fan of MGS, this only makes me like Kai more.  Better watch out, Imps; your Valkyria mean nothing to this booty messiah.
  • "Minerva dodges Hafen's mortar shot, which means that Aces and bosses will definitely have high evasion; better get those surprise attacks ready."  Or I'll just nuke 'em into oblivion with 'nades like I had Homer do to Malya the Dust during my Gallian Crossfire LP.
  • Man, I wish Karl could've been ladder man.  Or Nadine.  Instead, I have to settle with "Sand Man/Woman".
  • So we get sub-episodes for side characters?  I mean, as long as I don't have to grind just to get them, I'm fine with that.
  • Definitely was hearing VC1 music in the background.  Even if there's no new music (which I highly doubt), I wouldn't mind too much; VC has a nice enough set of tracks as it is.

I've only played about half, up to but not including Naggiar or something. My first PS3 (I got the game before the HD update, but still years after the game first released) died before I could finish it. I got spoiled on the one character revelation, but oh well. Said character I felt was stronger in their first five minutes than later on, a little stereotypical "weakening" happened to them, just as a little side comment. Even so I very much enjoyed the game and want to eventually replay and complete it. I'm just dreading the grinding for EXP between chapters, not that it is really necessary. 

Also, is it bad that I save scummed a good bit later on? Its just annoying when your Lancer or Sniper misses that all too important radiator/headshot! Or when you accidentally stumble onto a mine because you walked a little too fast.

Ideally before this sequel releases, since I think I'd want to get it.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Said character I felt was stronger in their first five minutes than later on, a little stereotypical "weakening" happened to them, just as a little side comment.

Preach.

I thought she was quite a cool character initially; probably felt the same way about her that I do for Oboro.  But then after the Bruhl segment, she got relegated to the role of side character who sometimes makes comments and adds to the drama despite her being in almost every scene with Welkin, and of course she had to be that character for Welkin.  I felt like in the end, Rosie was a stronger character... and she's extremely prickly at the beginning.

Spoiler

tfgMVYn.png

And, of course...

she dumb.

At least when you compare her to Isara's towering intellect.

And she calls Imperial troops "Imperians" for some weird reason.

Even so I very much enjoyed the game and want to eventually replay and complete it. I'm just dreading the grinding for EXP between chapters, not that it is really necessary. 

Should get either the PS4 or PC versions.  Both are excellent, and I know the PC version is currently priced at a nice $20 USD.

Also, is it bad that I save scummed a good bit later on? Its just annoying when your Lancer or Sniper misses that all too important radiator/headshot! Or when you accidentally stumble onto a mine because you walked a little too fast.

P-lease.

I've been doing it for my LP where I'm supposed to be challenging myself by not using Largo, Alicia, or Rosie.  I'm sure some folks see it as scummy, and it certainly does cheat some things like Susie's awful "Humanitarian" potential out of existence, but damn if you'll be redoing a whole hour of progress just because a lancer miffed a shot, am I right?

Also, VC 4 looks to be quite a bit better balanced, so you probably won't be grinding or save scumming as much.  If nothing else, the Brave System seems to ensure that you'll at least be able to do something useful with your troops before they die.

Watched a bit of footage of this game and so far...I'm mixed.

On one hand, this doesn't look bad nor does it play bad. It still remains like the original trilogy and for that, I'm in relief. 

On the other hand, besides additional classes, it does nothing new presentation wise and it pretty much reuses the animations that existed in the very first game itself. There's hardly any difference in the appearance of the game. Even I can tell that there are differences in the appearance of Awakening and Fates even though its slight.

I got nothing against them reusing the same game engine infact, the idea of using a custom engine is to reuse it. But if they can't make any slight changes to differ from the original, then presentation wise, its just playing it safe and does nothing different unless if I'm mistaken.

Then gameplay wise...kinda the same thing. AI from the looks of it is exactly like the original game hardly doing anything to either frustrate the player or to give some level of tension. Can't really tell if this game is going to have objective variety but I'm going to assume that it most likely will. 

This is what I feel of the footage at the moment.

EDIT: Also...just noticed that this game is being released on my birthday....wow.

EDIT: Also some new screenshots for the game!

EDIT 2: And then some more news about it as well. This time, it reveals the characters themselves.

Miles Aabek

- voiced in Japanese by Hiroshi Okamoto (Andy Bogart in The King of Fighters XIV) 
- pilot of Claude’s tank, the Hafen 
- they have been together since the times of the academy 
- Miles trusts the protagonist as the tank commander and as the highest ranking officer of the squad 
- his hobby is taking pictures

Dan Bentley

- voiced by Hisao Egawa (Falco Lombardi in the Star Fox series, Cao Ren in the Dynasty Warriors series) 
- he loves cars and has been a member of the Federal Army for a while 
- after moving from unit to unit, he was assigned to Squad E 
- he is in charge of the tank pilots and cars and mechanics of the unit 
- he is a man of few words, but he can be a good friend

Ronald Albee

- voiced by Atsuki Tani (he is Master Chief in the Japanese dub of the Halo series) 
- tank commander belonging to Minerva’s Squad F 
- Ronald was impressed by Minerva's chivalrous spirit, and believes that she will climb to the top the Federal Army

Tanks

- three types of ammo; armor-piercing shells, grenades, and machine guns 
- tanks can also crush defenses simply by ramming them 
- tanks can also destroy anti-personnel mines 
- armor-piercing shells have a linear trajectory and are designed to penetrate other tanks
- grenades are designed to attack infantry and are shot in a parabolic trajectory 
- grenades explode affecting a large area 
- machine guns are effective against nearby infantry positioned in the blind spot of the grenade launcher 
- machine guns can also intercept during the enemy turn 
- tanks are very resilient and cannot be easily damaged by infantry besides lancers 
- you can use tanks to shield your troops from incoming fire 
- be careful not to expose the back of a tank to the enemy, because the ragnite radiator is a tank’s weak spot

R&D facility

- used to develop new equipment for your soldiers and new parts for your armored vehicles 
- there are limits to what you can equip 
- when you create new equipment for your soldiers, you update the equipment of all those who can wear it 
- this will increase the power of the unit as a whole 
- decorating your tank with different stickers has small effects on its performance 
- you can change the camo color freely depending on the situation 
- parts are fit in a block-based grid, and more powerful parts require more blocks

Half-track armored personnel carriers

- these can transport several soldiers quickly and protect them from intercepting fire 
- if they’re destroyed, their occupants are temporarily withdrawn from combat 
- their armor is thinner than that of a tank, so they can be damaged by machine gun fire

Source: https://gonintendo.com/stories/299980-valkyria-chronicles-4-more-character-profiles-info-on-tanks-r

Edited by Harvey

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, @Shrimperor, for the update.  I never did respond to that reply you made... watch as I continue to not do so :/

I'll just scour that article real quick.

Spoiler
  • So it would seem that the ship is called the "Centurion", and it would seem that it does indeed have some land-traversal capabilities, though that might be largely aided by the snow... after all, snow is pretty much just frosty water.  This coming from a man who knows approximately as much about weather and chemistry as he does about what's inside a black hole.
  • It seems the ship offers a bunch of new orders not previously seen in the series, including the ability to fix up armored units (obviously referring to vehicles and the like) and plop them back onto the field, and the option to scan the field for enemies.  Since they're limited use, unlike regular orders, I assume they use up fewer or no CPs.
  • New Character info:
  • Roland Morgan: So I mistakenly assumed Minerva was a higher up due to some other comments.  This guy is actually the one in charge of the overall strategy, I presume, or at least has roughly the same level of influence as Captain Varrot did.  They say he's "kind and calm", and with the shot I got of him previously, I totally believe that; he looks like the kind of grandpa that would tell me a bedtime story.
  • Brian Haddock: Must be our resident asshole, if I'm interpreting that description right.  So he seems to have issues with the infantry, thinking that the fleets are better...  You know, I once went on a whole rant about why infantry are needed in spite of all the technological advances we've made.  I'm not going there again, but if he seriously thinks the military would be better off without infantry, then I'd like to see him try to capture a fort or enemy commander with that fucking ship.  Also, he's the navigator, so he's gonna be the guy telling us if we're gonna run into an iceberg; whether or not this ship will be the next Titanic (and whether or not I get to meme the game up with some Celine Dion) hinges on how well ol' Brian Fury performs, so he better not mess it up.
  • Mary Bennett: So she's an "older sister" type...  More and more, I'm wanting to connect her to Angelica Farnaby, AKA strawberry hair girl.  Of course, as the "older sister" gal, she's gonna be the one that does household chores and cooking.
  • Rufu: Is it just me, or are the Darcsens getting weirder and weirder names?  Anyway, she sounds like maybe she's gonna be more like Zeri than anything.  Given that she has command of the weapons, you probably don't want to fuck with her.

Since the Centurion's gonna be a major part of gameplay, I now have my doubts about it being destroyed.  Maybe it will be destroyed towards the end of the game, but I just don't see us losing this thing, like, halfway into the game.

Also, the links on that Dualshockers article leads to other articles.  Some have already covered things we know, but they seem to have more screens than we've collectively seen, so it might be worth it to check them out.

• 4 weeks later...

There's actually been a lot of news over on Dualshockers about this game.

Yesterday there was an announcement of a demo, and today someone showed videos and screenshots of a preview here.

I'm just gonna copy the paragraph in that article that links to all the different articles on VC4 in the spoiler below.

• 3 weeks later...

Yay, we got a slightly more specific release window for the game in the West: https://gematsu.com/2018/03/valkyria-chronicles-4-launches-fall-west

This is for PS4, XBone, and Switch; in case you glossed over the URL and didn't read the article, it's coming in the Fall.

And remember that the game officially launches on PS4 and XBone in Japan on the 22nd of this month.

On 3/15/2018 at 5:12 PM, Ertrick36 said:

And remember that the game officially launches on PS4 and XBone in Japan on the 22nd of this month.

The official abbreviation is XOne, and that version is only releasing in NA/EU.

Anyways, the game is out in Japan.

Scouts are apparently busted, as always.

Pre-release confirmed that there are 18 chapters in the game. However, chapters now consist of 2 or 3 battles.

Potentials seem to have been nerfed across the board, but don't deactivate (once you proc one, it stays until the end of a character's action).

Anti-Tank turrets can intercept fire, albeit at greatly reduced damage.

As for story:

In the end Raz and Riley are dead and the Empire gets off easy/basically wins off of a ceasefire.