Echoes Replay Value?

Got the game a few days ago and absolutely love it so far.

But I am wondering as to what everybody thinks as far as the reply value goes. I haven't seen it being talked about too much here but a quick search and it seems that most people (at least, from other forums) really don't think it's worth playing the game a second time. I'm still a long ways away before I finish but, just curious about this topic. 

The reason people don't see much replay value in the game is because almost all the units are used in a single playthrough unlike most game in the series. So there is little experimenting since you know what everyone can do, and having no branching promotions makes the problem worse. The exception is the reclass option for the Ram villages and the Villager's Fork. Plus that there are few supports in the game, compared to the last two game, can make it well there is nothing else to the characters.

And for the second half, let's just say there is a lot of stuff that turns people off, design wise.

Edited by Jingle Jangle

Fire Emblem in general is something many would only play just once and move on and I'm one of them. To me, unless the game has stuff that offers something new like FE7's Hector Mode, I don't see any reason to invest myself replaying any of the FE games that I have unless if its for revisiting them for old times sake.

As for Echoes, there isn't much incentive to replay the game even if the final dungeon is unlocked when you beat it once. What do you get from all that? Nothing.

Echoes is one of the least replayable games in the series.And i love this game.  I've done two playthroughs so far and there were only small differences between the two (such as the Classes for the Ram Villagers). I would probably do a 3rd playthrough, but not right now.

Though, tbh, aside from Awakening and Fates, Fire Emblem games aren't that replayable. Well, Radiant Dawn does have to be played twice in order to get backstory that is locked out of the first playthrough for some strange reason.

Best way to replay Echoes is ignore everyone not named Alm and Celica and watch them wreck face as you wonder you bothered training anyone in your first playthrough. Forging a Killer Bow for Alm is also happening.

So, do people recommend trying to get the Blitzkrieg medal by soloing with Alm/Celica, or am I being dumb?

I'd like to do that for the next replay, but if that makes no sense, I guess I'll figure it out another time.

There's an achievement you can get by finishing the entire game in under 500 turns or something (not sure the exact number, just beat the game fairly fast). You'll likely not get that on your first playthrough so that's at least one motivation to replay.

3 hours ago, Ein said:

Best way to replay Echoes is ignore everyone not named Alm and Celica and watch them wreck face as you wonder you bothered training anyone in your first playthrough. Forging a Killer Bow for Alm is also happening.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

So, do people recommend trying to get the Blitzkrieg medal by soloing with Alm/Celica, or am I being dumb?

I'd like to do that for the next replay, but if that makes no sense, I guess I'll figure it out another time.

Yep, I legitimately got the Blitzkreg by soloing the game on normal with Alm and Celica. What's more, I didn't even have a weapon on them most of the time, instead opting to get the Star Jacinth for both of them to turn them into perfect units (which you might think means my steamrolling of the game was artificial but not having those skills and extra attack does gimp you more than one might expect).

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Yep, I legitimately got the Blitzkreg by soloing the game on normal with Alm and Celica. What's more, I didn't even have a weapon on them most of the time, instead opting to get the Star Jacinth for both of them to turn them into perfect units (which you might think means my steamrolling of the game was artificial but not having those skills and extra attack does gimp you more than one might expect).

As I might have expected. As I don't have the DLC, that's good to know.

Also, is there a source for a list of expected turns to beat maps? Asking as I'd like a reference for that Blitzkrieg playthrough.

Depends on how long you wait to go back and play again. If you jump right back in after beating it, you won't have a great experience, but if you wait a while and then pick it back up it may be different.

I love Echoes, but I maintain that it is more of a game that needs a while before it is replayed. It does not have the same replay value that the other 3DS games has. It's not really a knock against its quality, but more that it does not lend itself to frequent repeated playthroughs.

12 hours ago, Armagon said:

Echoes is one of the least replayable games in the series.And i love this game.  I've done two playthroughs so far and there were only small differences between the two (such as the Classes for the Ram Villagers). I would probably do a 3rd playthrough, but not right now.

Though, tbh, aside from Awakening and Fates, Fire Emblem games aren't that replayable. Well, Radiant Dawn does have to be played twice in order to get backstory that is locked out of the first playthrough for some strange reason.

I heavily disagree considering most FE games have big casts, and tons of various ways to play them be it challenge runs or anything of the like. Theres a lot of different ways to get the most out of an FE game and thats why the series is so great.

I can't say I had this compelling need to play the game again. I still haven't beaten the post game part despite being a major Awakening fan. After beating the game, I've just felt exhausted doing all that grinding & dungeon exploring.

Makes sense what everyone is saying.
I mean, the only other FE game I ever replayed was Sacred Stones and it wasn't so bad so was just wondering as this is my first FE 3DS title I play. I'll eventually get Awakening and If but until then, I want to get as much as I can from Echoes, even if it means replaying it a few times (or so I thought...)

But meh, it's not a huge deal if I don't. Just something to do...

I personally find Echoes have good replay value, but its more like a board game kind of replayablility. You take a board game out for an afternoon, play the game until its over, and then put it away until the next time you want to play. Sometimes each game will be very similar to each other, and sometimes they'll be vastly different. That's how I feel towards Echoes. The game is beatable in a week or two, the gameplay moves along quickly because battles that aren't plot important are treated as skirmishes, and the only thing that requires a lot of time put into them is the dungeons. I tend to notice the subtle differences of how the erratic growth rates effect the usefulness or function of the character, while still having everyone be usefull, which add's a little bit of replayability to me personally. Also, while the story has its flaws, it also has its strengths, and because it's presented so beautifully, I don't mind having to sit through the same cutscenes, events, and conversations all over again.

Despite this though, it doesn't reach the heights that Awakening and fates do in replayability, and as I stated earlier, these are personal reasons why I find the game to be replayable, and they obviously don't apply to everyone.