New Mystery of the Emblem Guidance

1. This is probably obvious, but  if you think about the order in which you kill things and position your units well you can trade the Shards around to benefit multiple people in one turn which is especially useful for the Speed and Strength Shards although I think they come later iirc.

3. Swordmasters don't get a critical bonus in this game (only Snipers and Bersekers I believe) so you're not going to see them crit all that much compared to other classes seeing as the only advantage they have is from their high Skill.

4. I'd probably promote Palla now if she's already level 15, Dracoknight!Palla is probably the best unit throughout the mid game (well she's one of the best units throughout the whole game), Catria makes a better Falconknight due to the higher Speed Cap so I'd put her promotion off for a while until you get an Elysian Whip.

@eclipse I beated chapter 9 and you were right that it was kinda strange and I lost a couple of times. Still about time some challenge comes in. I only killed one of Astram's soldiers so do I still get to recruit him?

Anyways in Chapter 10, got Etzel( who was a pain to deal with earlier and required some luck to get him) got the two starspheres and the thief staff. I noticed two chests in chapter 10, do they need the thief staff to open them because the water looks like a thief or Marth can't get to the chests on their own.

How's this wanna be Canas in the end btw(I mean Etzel).

Astram will reappear in chapter 16, where he'll be recruitable by Jeorge. It doesn't matter one way or the other whether or not you kill his buddies.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Anyways in Chapter 10, got Etzel( who was a pain to deal with earlier and required some luck to get him) got the two starspheres and the thief staff. I noticed two chests in chapter 10, do they need the thief staff to open them because the water looks like a thief or Marth can't get to the chests on their own.

You can get all the chests without the thief staff; both Marth and the thieves can walk on water. I usually still thief staff the two chests outside because I don't want to have a thief run in circles forever, though.

I guess you don't need the advice anymore, but afaik, the best way to recruit Etzel is to field as many fliers as possible, including Dracoknight!Wendell, and just go through the middle. Looking at the map on fireemblemWOD, this is actually pretty safe on normal mode - on harder difficulties, they add a sniper and two mages, but it's still possible to clear the path on turn one. Meanwhile, Merric can un-equip his tome and use the Pure Water to make this strategy pretty reliable.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

How's this wanna be Canas in the end btw(I mean Etzel).

Quite good, I'd say, in a vaguely FE6-shaped prepromote way. Linde, Merric, and Elrean will all outpace him when trained, but Etzel still has respectable base stats (and growth rates, actually) and starts with a B rank in tomes. He isn't that far away from C staves either, which will allow him to use Physics and Warp.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

How's this wanna be Canas in the end btw(I mean Etzel)

Etzel's main draw is his ability to use Excalibur at base while also having staff utility. Merric and Elrean will outclass him in the lategame, but Etzel needs no investment at all to be good. On Maniac and above, Etzel is one of the best units.

So now in chapter 11 and I want to know something. Do Julian, Minerva, Sirius and Merric need lots of training for the final chapter? I think I wasted some time training Julian thinking the final chapter might give him issues.

I just read that four of these units are required for the endgame so just curious.

How's Elrean btw?

1 hour ago, ping said:

Quite good, I'd say, in a vaguely FE6-shaped prepromote way. Linde, Merric, and Elrean will all outpace him when trained, but Etzel still has respectable base stats (and growth rates, actually) and starts with a B rank in tomes. He isn't that far away from C staves either, which will allow him to use Physics and Warp

Really? I thought Marisha was the best staffbot regardless.

Edited by Harvey

28 minutes ago, Harvey said:

So now in chapter 11 and I want to know something. Do Julian, Minerva, Sirius and Merric need lots of training for the final chapter? I think I wasted some time training Julian thinking the final chapter might give him issues.

Eh, it doesn't hurt if they're able to contribute, but it's not necessary, either -  I don't think I've ever trained Julian at all, so I think it's safe to say that. All of them have to go very close to the boss, but if you save some warp and rescue uses for the final map (basically, try not to break any of these staves), it's certainly possible to deal with the boss before they're in danger of being killed. You definitely won't have a shortage of staff bots in that chapter, that's for sure.

@Elrean: He's bulkier, but slower than Merric. I prefer Merric because he can immediately use Excalibur (which is effective against the bloody wyverns of the upcoming maps).

37 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Really? I thought Marisha was the best staffbot regardless.

She is. The good thing about Etzel is that he's competent as both a figher (Excalibur at base is a big plus) and a healer right from the start, so you can just slap him on your team and he'll be fine with no effort on your part whatsoever.

Beated chapter 12...its kinda tough but if you know what to do, it should be fine.

By this point, I got most of my units promoted after they reached lv 15. Marth doesn't promote here right?

Anyways, while Darros was impressive in 12, how is he in the long run. Also, I got three horse units. How are they compared to Rody and Luke?

Yeah, Marth doesn't promote, but he (as well as Julian and Rickard) have a level cap of 30 to make up for that.

Honestly, by now you're past the point where you can expect _good_ units to join your team. Those four units are all kinda OK (and most likely perfectly viable on NM), but none of them are as good as the units that you've used up to this point. There's one character with a nice unique ability joining at the start of chapter 14 (Xane, the other ch.14 recruit is pretty meh in this game), but other than that, the best advice I can think of for this point of the game is to stick to your established team.

20 hours ago, ping said:

Yeah, Marth doesn't promote, but he (as well as Julian and Rickard) have a level cap of 30 to make up for that.

Honestly, by now you're past the point where you can expect _good_ units to join your team. Those four units are all kinda OK (and most likely perfectly viable on NM), but none of them are as good as the units that you've used up to this point. There's one character with a nice unique ability joining at the start of chapter 14 (Xane, the other ch.14 recruit is pretty meh in this game), but other than that, the best advice I can think of for this point of the game is to stick to your established team.

Ok this is what I don't get.....

When you say that good units aren't going to be much in the later half, what do you exactly mean by this? All my units right now have stats that are above 15 or so at this point and if the other units are having the same stats, how exactly does it make them bad? I still don't get how exactly bad is Astram in the end.

Anyways, beated chapter 13x and I think I killed Clairisse(I'll admit, her portrait stands out the most.) any tips for chapter 14?

Edited by Harvey

Your new recruits just won't be as good as your current team. As an example, in my current playthrough, the worst combat unit I fielded for chapter 16 (which is my oldest savefile) is Warrior!Yubello, on level 15/8 or 16/8 - can't quite remember when I promoted him. His stats - without any statboosters - are much, much better than Astram's, who is recruitable in the same chapter:

• 52 vs 34 HP
  • 20 vs 14 Str
  • 16 vs 16 Skl
  • 21 vs 16 Spd
  • 16 vs 5 Lck
  • 19 vs 15 Def
  • 1 vs 3 Res (OK, Astram wins this one :D )

That's just anecdotal, of course, but it illustrates what you can expect from new characters from now on: They just don't have the same stats as a trained growth unit. I'm glancing over the base stat table on the main side right now, and there's exactly one character who has two non-HP stats that are higher than 20. One other character has 20 Str, and every other stat on every other unit is lower than that.
Meanwhile, my Palla has capped Str and Skl as a Dracoknight, Catria has capped Skl and Spd as a Falcoknight, and Sniper!Luke runs around with 27 Speed. I suppose I'm running a somewhat small team, so my character levels are relatively high, but I still don't see much incentive to use any of the remaining recruitables.

The mid- to late-game prepromotes have low base stats compared to a trained growth unit. They will do fine on normal mode, so if you really like a certain unit you can make them work. On higher difficulties, the late-game prepromotes are completely worthless though. For example, Astram gets one rounded by the heroes that accompany him in his recruitment chapter. 

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

I'm on chapter 16 now. Any tips?

So I got a question, My Marth's str is just 12...is that bad for him?

You're a bit below average, but it's still workable.  Keep feeding him levels, and he should catch up.

For Chapter 16, you need to chase that unit outside of the castle, preferably with a mounted unit.  Make sure to get the dropped item before ending the chapter.  Also, there's someone that can be recruited - if you were paying attention, the game should tell you who to field.  IMO the easiest way to deal with it is to clear the throne room, murder the fleeing unit, and recruit right before ending the chapter.  The auto-recruit is a meme whose most important use is to open the throne room. . .really.

22 hours ago, eclipse said:

You're a bit below average, but it's still workable.  Keep feeding him levels, and he should catch up.

For Chapter 16, you need to chase that unit outside of the castle, preferably with a mounted unit.  Make sure to get the dropped item before ending the chapter.  Also, there's someone that can be recruited - if you were paying attention, the game should tell you who to field.  IMO the easiest way to deal with it is to clear the throne room, murder the fleeing unit, and recruit right before ending the chapter.  The auto-recruit is a meme whose most important use is to open the throne room. . .really.

Boy you weren't kidding when you said that. The guys practically tease you that once you open the chests they attack you...so its kinda already hinting to bash the throne room first.

Anyways got to chapter 18 and I got Astram, another bald guy that I forgot his name, Sheena and Samson. How are they and how to recruit the wolfguard gang?

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Astram, another bald guy that I forgot his name, Sheena and Samson. How are they

Take a guess... ;)

Well, Sheema at least has pretty high growth rates - 60% speed as a General, among others - so if you like to hear multiple *tink*s per level-up, you could try and give her a go. She isn't good at all, though, since her base stats are just horrible for a promoted unit. Even her Lv.20 stats are far worse than (for the sake of no reclassing ;) ) Draug's or Roger's. At least her weapon ranks are nice, I guess, but it isn't really enough.

The rest of them are pretty unremarkable, just some sub-par late-joiners that are most likely far outclassed by your already raised units. Same with the wolfguard, really.

Speaking of, their recruitment is somewhat of a chain reaction. First, you'll have to send Marth to the SE village to recruit Roshea (I recommend warping him), who in turn will be able to recruit Vyland who will appear along some generic paladins as reinforcements from around the starting point (I recommend using the Rescue staff on Roshea to get him back fast enough). Then, Vyland can recruit Sedgar, who will be able to recruit Wolf. If I'm not mistaken, this is the only possible sequence of recruitment, but at least the map is layed out in a way that makes this sequence reasonable, too.

I don't know how weak the wolfguard is in relation to the enemies on normal mode - on higher difficulties, it's actually challenging just to keep them alive since the generic enemies around them will tear them asunder (iirc, they're even close to being one-rounded on H1, but don't quote me on that). So try to make sure you get them to safety when you recruit them.

Edited by ping

Decent filler unit actually, if you got a free spot on your team. 22 Speed is only one point below the cap, and 20 Def isn't too shabby either. No A weapon rank sucks a bit, though, and 2 base Luck means that he's prone to some stray crits. I don't know how enemy stats look exactly on normal mode, but I would assume that he'll be one-shot by a dragon crit.

You're very close to the end of the game, by the way, so growth rates don't matter at all at this point. Your best choices are simply the units with the best current Numbers (with weapon ranks playing into it, of course).

Finally beated the game. To those here who guided me, my thanks to you all.

Guess I can give my impressions while I'm at it. I agree with most here that this is a solid game and something Nintendo should have localised. Lots of variety in the map design despite a few annoying ones, features added to nerf the broken weapons as well as make the game still balanced for the most part and above all else, having casual mode.

Its got a nice plot and a few deep moments but that's about it.

My only grip is in the visual side. I don't know why but for some reason, I can't help but feel this game should have used pixel art instead of pre-rendered graphics.

Other than that, yeah pretty much solid.