Spriting advice needed: left hand vs right hand

Dragoncat

I'm not looking for critique here, please do not tell me "this is wrong, that's wrong, you need to get better at pixeling". I admit I've come to expect that from the spriting forum...if I want critique I'll ask for it, people.

These are twice the size of FE battle sprites but my confusion of left hand vs right hand still works with them. They're a group of ten (not all are made yet), and it's common for the males of their race to run around nearly shirtless. Everything else about them is irrelevant. I'm asking about Spike mostly. I edited Alpha to make him and just now noticed that I'd kept the dagger in the opposite hand of what the others are holding their weapons in, sans the dual wielders Alpha and Flame of course. So I started thinking, okay, he can be left handed. But he's holding it in the hand on MY left, and isn't that reversed when looking at a sprite/someone else, so it should be in his other hand? And the rest should switch hands too? Or does it matter?

selkie_ancestors.png

It's a decision you get to make. Sprites typically get flipped so if you want to emphasize right/left handedness you'll need to create an alternate sprite for the flip (or never flip) if that's important to you.

Vanilla sprites have the weapon in the hand farther from the player, though some riders have them in the near hand as they'd be obscured otherwise. Lyn does near hand too, but then I guess she's special.

3 hours ago, Lenh said:

It's a decision you get to make. Sprites typically get flipped so if you want to emphasize right/left handedness you'll need to create an alternate sprite for the flip (or never flip) if that's important to you.

Vanilla sprites have the weapon in the hand farther from the player, though some riders have them in the near hand as they'd be obscured otherwise. Lyn does near hand too, but then I guess she's special.

I see, since it's not that big of a deal and they won't be flipped, I think I'll leave it as is. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Charlie Suiko said:

I would personally say that if you’re going to make Spike left handed, then maybe flip all the sprites to face the opposite direction so as to illustrate that they’re not mostly left?

Wow, I didn't think anybody would see this topic now.

I think they're fine facing the way they are.

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/12/2017 at 8:00 PM, Dragoncat said:

Wow, I didn't think anybody would see this topic now.

I think they're fine facing the way they are.

I get notifications about your posts.. Also, I’m a bit of a perfectionist... So for me it would be irritating, but your choice at the end of the day.

A warning for when I do the clavat/selkie creator, if you equip the weapons to the wrong hand. I will die a little bit inside.