Do You Want a Sequel To Shadows of Valentia?

Do You Want a Sequel to Shadow of Valentia?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a sequel to Shadows of Valentia?

• Yes! There is so much to expand upon both with the gameplay and the Story that it deserves a sequel.
    • I'm not begging for it, but if a sequel was announced, I would support the game nonetheless.
    • I don't care either way.
    • The game was a nice deviation from the norm, but it's not really deserving of a sequel.
    • Sov was an open-and-shut game, and does not need a sequel.
  2. 2. When would you want it?

• I'm secretly hoping the Switch game is a sequel to this one.
    • I'll wait until the switch game is released, then I wouldn't mind a Sequel.
    • Can we have a few more remakes first, please?
    • In a couple of years, after we've had a few more original Fire Emblem Games come out.
    • Never

If a sequel to Fire emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia were anounced, would you be in support of the game, or against it? Also, when in the future would you what a sequel to occur?

Feel free to list any gameplay or story ideas you have for the game.

Story Ideas (This assumes you've already played and beaten the game, so spoilers are abound here.)

Spoiler

Two notes beforehand. 1. This is an overview, not the script, so I'm intentionally being broad here. 2. These are also ideas, meaning that some of these are purposefully ambitious, and some may obviously not come to fruition in the final product.

The game is set only a short time after the end of Shadows of Valentia, and largely deals with how Alm and Celica handle ruling over the newly united nation over the course of a few years. The player choice would have a factor in how they would handle the situations they face, and the game would have multiple endings both for the characters and for the nation at large.

Only a short time after assuming the crown, rebellions erupt both in Rigel and Zofia. The both Rigelian commoners and nobles alike oppose Alm taking charge, for a large variety of reasons. They range from could seeing him as nothing more than a conquerer, to believing that Rudolf made him king not because he was his son, but to avoid political chaos, or because Rudolf was impressed with Alm's leadership and wished for him to rule over the kingdom over Berkut, to believing that the story was a complete fabrication and nothing more than a power grab for the Deliverance. Likewise, the situation surrounding Berkut's and Rinea's death would be heavily disputed. Some would believe that Berkut really did go crazy and sacrifice Rinea for power, while others believe that Rinea was died in the crossfire between Berkut madly attacking Alm's group. Other's believe that both of them were killed to remove competition to the throne by Alm's party, or that Berkut was provoked into attacking. The also wanted the Duma Faithful to return back to when Duma was sane and the bright points in their belief that hard-work builds character were prevalent, instead of it  being nothing more than a cult, and they don't take to kindly to their "god" being slain by the country that follows Mila, even though she "went to sleep" with her brother. The more fanatical remenants of the Duma Faithful would do all in their power to assassinate/kidnap Alm and Celica, and destroy the newly founded kingdom out of revenge.

In Zofia, the reasons for the rebellions are simpler. They don't want a king that was installed by their enemy in the war, regardless if he was a war hero beforehand, and have overall lost faith in the royal family due to the actions of Lima IV, and to a lesser extent Desaix. That, and some nobles simply want to stay in power, and don't known how to do so nonviolently with a king who was once a commoner and wished to reduce the influence of the nobility. Alongside this is multiple bandits and pirates taking advantage of the chaos to spread havoc and fill their pockets, with perhaps another Grieth-level leader rising to power...

Overall, I want this to be a deconstruction of the story in the first game, showing what would probably happen after the events of the previous game. I want to see both Alm and Celica's characters fleshed out more, having both their flaws shown and analyzed, as well as for their strengths to shine. I also want to know what direction they would lead the kingdom, with player choice being involved most of the characters from the first game would appear, as well as some new ones. Characters who became knights at the end of the game would still be present here. Many of the other characters that aren't outright stated to be out of service could pick up arms again. It would allow for expanded conversations and interactions that either weren't possible in the previous game, or that we wanted but didn't get. Both Pythons Militia and Jesse's (or Kamui's) mercenary kingdom would make an appearance (probably pulling a big damn heroes moment) and join, with some foreshadowing on what would become of the two groups in the years and decades to come. Speaking of which, since the story may take over the time span of several years, it wouldn't surprise me if Zeke left when Mystery of the Emblem takes place, with several references to the conflict (and heck, maybe even an optional meeting between Alm and Marth, which could go several ways), and Kamui simply disappearing. And again, I want for their to be multiple moments where the player could choose how to procede through each conflict, with actual cosequences that affect the course of the game, the story, and the endings.

As I said, these are merely ideas at the moment, with very little fleshed out, but this is the template I would see IS taking (or at least, what I would want them to) storywise if they were going to make a sequel.

(This took me two frikken hours to write, by the way, so I don't present this idea lightly.)

Gameplay Ideas (put in a spoiler to save space)

Spoiler
  • Keep many of the same mechanics as the original game, but greatly improve the map design.
  • Add to the already stellar art and animations, but that's a given.
  • Add more classes. Have an axe-using class, a fencer, assassin, and thief classes, and maybe a crossbowman and/or acrobat/performer. I also wouldn't mind seeing a wyvern rider and/or a Taguel/Manakete (or both), but I question if that would work in conjunction with the lore.
  • Add more characters, though that's also a given.
  • Expand upon the world map. Make it less linear, give operating multiple parties more strategic depth (i.e. planning ahead about which party to move and which one should defend on a given turn on the world map), have skirmishes be more complex, and have multiple options of how to deal with a situation. For instance, you can choose to attack a fortress immediately and face a hard battle, or starve them out, which makes the battle easier, but at cost some turns, or you could use less than desirable tactics to make the battle easier immediately (such as using fire or poison) but suffer diplomatic and story consequences. I've already seen enough ideas from others on how they would want to expand upon this area, so it is something that has a lot of potential.
  • If summoning returns, add a stronger penalty to it.
  • Have some of the memory prisms be playable, such as a hopeless survival and/or defend mission, or an important battle that took place in the past that could explain why some characters act the way they do.
  • At some points of the story, you could play as the enemy, and have a mechanic where you can recruit specific unit classes that you want rather than having to work with what the game gives you. 
  • Have player choices mean something, and have multiple endings.
  • New Game+

It would be cool to see another game with Alm, Celica, Kliff, Grey, Saber etc. perhaps with them teaming up with Marth. I just don't know what the plot could be to warrant a sequel. Also I would really like to see games like FE4, & FE5 get remade maybe also re release the Tellius games as it would be nice to have these in one game case and to play it on a more up to date gaming system.

I can't say that I'm expecting a direct sequel to Gaiden/Shadows of Valentia any time soon, but I enjoyed the game and would be happy if they wanted to make a direct sequel. Putting Alm and Celica into a situation that would challenge them and their methods of ruling could be an interesting dynamic for a story, plus it's intriguing to consider how much the common people know and believe about the crazy situation that occurred in Valentia (it's not every day a king sends his son away to one day kill him in combat and then challenge a mad god). My only story concern would be that I'd want characters with endings that were more closed off to not return. Deen's ending states that he was never seen again after the war, so outside of a brief appearance, I wouldn't want to him appear in a way that would contradict that ending. Though this hypothetical sequel could even tie in to Mystery of the Emblem with some endings in that game, namely Est (who disappears in her ending and is never seen again on Archanea) and Abel (who goes searching for Est). Maybe the two of them ended up in Valentia.

The ideas to improve on the gameplay all sound good, particularly the world map and new classes.

SoV had a fairly closed of ending without many dangling plot threads and many of the characters were given fairly conclusive individual endings as well. I'd rather they leave the current ending alone because awkwardly tacking more story onto a finished tale typically leads to thematic and continuity issues. If any sequel were to exist I'd prefer something in the far future to show how Valentia is adapting to it's new dynamic rather than a direct continuation of Alm and Celica's story.

When it comes to a sequel to SoV Echoes, I won't say no, I would support it. However, when it comes to story (Yes, I know you only made vague ideas, but here are my vague ideas as well), I'd probably focus more on the state of the world. Echoes (more or less) started on the fact that the land couldn't survive without gods, and I would actually like to see that in this hypothetical sequel, where the land is dying, food is scarce and people are losing hope. 

I'm not sure the timeline of Echoes in terms of what Marth is doing, but I feel as if Alm/Celica should be travelling to distant lands to ask for help. From what I understand, Marth's world doesn't need gods to survive, and it could simply be a scientific or magical fact keeping Valentia from thriving. (IE curse on the land that IS removable or the soil is drained of its nutrients or something and magic can be used to restore it or something like that, just an idea). Then the conflict would erupt of who Alm is and why they are coming to their land in the first place. Why haven't they had before? (This is assuming Valentia had no contact with the other continent, and Act 6 is not canon). This is where Marth and Alm/Celica are like. Alright, lets get to the bottom of this. The other kingdoms that still consider Marth an enemy could use this chance like Begnion/Daein did on the knowledge that Crimea is friend to Gallia in both fe9 and fe10. Soon, Altea's citizens would also revolt against Marth for supporting a strange land/ruler as well. Meanwhile, back in Valentia, whoever is left ruling the Kingdom (I imagine you choose who goes to Archanea to get help, and the other stays in Valentia), the Terrors have Risen again, and are terrorizing the people. Note that these actually wouldn't be terrors, but Risen similar to those in Awakening, though I wouldn't mind monsters among them as well. The storyline (in terms of gameplay) could switch between the two parties again as they fight their respective battle. 

That's all I have for now, I have been pulling this out of my ass, but just wanted to get it out before I forgot. Sorry if this offends anyone.

1 hour ago, SlayerX said:

No, but i would welcome another FE game that has gameplay that is closer to Shadows of Valentia than Conquest or Awakening.

Maybe they'll do something interesting with a Sacred Stones remake, since that was supposed to be something of a spiritual successor to Gaiden. It brought back the traversable map, monsters, Villagers(/"Trainees"), split campaigns and branched promotions.

I could see that, when it inevitably happens, being an evolution from the new things we saw in SoV. Might take a while, though. It's been like, 10 years and we've barely gotten 3 FE remakes.

I'll definitely support and play it but would like to see a few remakes of the older FE's done first...

Also, maybe I'm in the minority here, but I would rather they keep making games for the 3DS as well, or at least put more effort into them and not just the Switch.

1 minute ago, albert said:

I'll definitely support and play it but would like to see a few remakes of the older FE's done first...

Also, maybe I'm in the minority here, but I would rather they keep making games for the 3DS as well, or at least put more effort into them and not just the Switch.

Agreed, though I won't say no to Switch games.

Hmm, technically I do. Just not a story I envision would directly include Alm. I want to see a First Exalt game that expands on how Marth's world eventually became Chrom's world. We know the First Exalt was 1000 years before Awakening but we have no idea how much time has passed between then and FE1-3.  I figure a story about the First Exalt would have to include Valentia as the writers would be compelled to take the opportunity to world build and show what happened to the One Kingdom. Plus one of the gem stones for the Shield of Seals was explicitly given to a resident of Valentia as it became the property of Chon'sin which may or may not have already existed.

I would probably buy the game, but I don't think it's necessary.

SoV seemed like an open and shut game to me, with the character endings being long term. It wouldn't make much sense to have a sequel, and it will most likely retcon the current characters in some way. 

IMO, if we're going to return to Valentia, I'd rather see the schism that divides the empire into multiple countries.

5 hours ago, albert said:

Oh for sure. Won't completely reject the Switch games (have to buy one first) but the 3DS still has a few good years left and don't want to see it get completely abandoned...

Unfortunately, that's just the way things go. The 3DS is a much more limited piece of hardware, and it's a dying system. Anything that's not Pokemon has a pretty low chance of doing decent numbers on the 3DS now that the Switch is the new girl in town. And Pokemon's jumping ship. Fire Emblem moves with the times. It's almost always on new hardware, with the DS games being a Rare example of them moving to older hardware, due to Radiant Dawn's abysmal sales and Nintendo thinking the series would be more at home on the DS. But even then, the DS was only 2 years older than the Wii, so it was more of a lateral move than a step back. 

Outside of that, Fire Emblem always moves ahead, Thracia being a rare case where they skipped a generation and stayed on the same platform after the generation ended. 

The 3DS is nearly 7 years old. It won't benefit the series to ever go back. It's better for them to move to a new system that's selling well and establish itself there. The Switch being what it is makes it especially hard to ever go back to the 3DS. If this were any other generation and the 3DS was still Nintendo's bastion for handheld lovers, there'd still be a chance. But the Switch is effectively the 3DS' replacement. Nobody making the move to the Switch will be coming back to the 3DS.

Edited by Slumber

I would rather just get totally new FE titles or see other classic FE games remade. (I really want to play Genealogy now...)

But, if we got an SoV2, I would absolutely play it. They could even fix these garbage maps.

Nintendo is letting the 3DS go out gracefully, but it's had it's run. No one developes for the 3D or utilizes many of it's quirky tech options as most gamers want a more straightforward experience. (How many recent games have come out that use play coins or the cameras?) That, and many recent games run like hot garbage on older models. 

The Switch is a natural progression on that front. Most devs are content jumping to it now that it's a proven success and has nearly the same portability of the 3DS, but with power. 

Ultra Sun and Moon are pretty much it's final major franchise titles, and those games fall into the "runs like hot garbage on older models" category of newer 3DS titles.

Edited by Altrosa

6 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Hmm, technically I do. Just not a story I envision would directly include Alm. I want to see a First Exalt game that expands on how Marth's world eventually became Chrom's world. We know the First Exalt was 1000 years before Awakening but we have no idea how much time has passed between then and FE1-3.  I figure a story about the First Exalt would have to include Valentia as the writers would be compelled to take the opportunity to world build and show what happened to the One Kingdom. Plus one of the gem stones for the Shield of Seals was explicitly given to a resident of Valentia as it became the property of Chon'sin which may or may not have already existed.

From what I understand (and its easily missable) but the Tiki in Awakening is 2000 years older than the one Marth knows.

I don't really want a sequel. I don't think Shadow of Valentia really needs one and that it ending doesn't really leave it open for a large story.

I wouldn't be opposed to it either because I do believe there are some more stories to tell. I think Celica in particular may benefit if they do what they did with Elincia and give her time on the throne some spotlight. I think she may be better at it then Alm.

It could also be a good opportunity for Celica to win back some people who soared on her becoming a damsel. If the writers went with the rebel ideas you could find a situation where Alm finishes smashing the rebel base with his knights only to find out they pulled a Ludveck and went straight for the capitol. Alm and the player is led to believe Celica has been taken hostage but then the next chapters are about Celica gathering some old friends like Saber and the mages and smashing the rebels coming for her. 

I think Valentia and Fire Emblem in general may benefit more from a set of smaller stories. Things like Elincia's story in Radiant dawn which are shorter and on a relatively small scale. In Valentia they could depict stories like Saber and Jesse founding their mercenary kingdom or Genny traveling to Fear mountain to find Sonia and set her free. 

I don't think a sequel would be necessary, but I wouldn't mind a gaiden subseries with similar gameplay to shadows of valentia, I wouldn't want to give up on regular fire emblem gameplay but I do like the thought of having a secondary series with SoV gameplay. gaiden had some fun ideas but it was crippled by poor map design and SoV had no good way to fix that, because the maps were bad on a fundamental level, not to mention, the addition of different objectives, more classes, and weapon triangle could be pretty cool with SoV's general mechanics.

as for shadows of valentia's story, I think going further would be ill advised best we could get would be a sub story involving the rise of walhart, but I don't know if that could hold all that long of a story.

maybe IS should make a fire emblem anthology game which shows the stories of all the legendary heroes across the series.

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think Valentia and Fire Emblem in general may benefit more from a set of smaller stories. Things like Elincia's story in Radiant dawn which are shorter and on a relatively small scale. In Valentia they could depict stories like Saber and Jesse founding their mercenary kingdom or Genny traveling to Fear mountain to find Sonia and set her free. 

The issue with the smaller stories approach would be creating a cohesive, fleshed out cast that you can play as throughout the entire game.

This said, I'd be okay with some Fire Emblem short stories. Rise of the Deliverance, Future Past, Heirs of Fate, and the Archanean Chronicles and free DL chapters in NM, alongside RD of course, are all cases of IS learning to experiment with this idea.

I don't think it'd ever replace standard FE stories, but making a DL only pack of independent stories using the engine of the most recent FE between game releases sounds feasible- like what Vestaria Saga is attempting now I think. Or perhaps they could use smaller stories to great effect in a hypothetical open world FE, since you wouldn't want everything tied directly into the main narrative for that.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World tried to run with a related idea- the aftermath of a major world change with two different halves combined. But being a shoestring budget sequel, this game failed to the idea justice.

There is room for a human-based post-SoV conflict, but not so much a supernatural one unless IS pulls something out of thin air or goes off to check on Jugdral. And I dislike stuff like Okamiden where the sequel invents some stuff that undermines the original in some capacity. I won't say IS couldn't succeed with a sequel, but given SoV devolves into Alm perfectionism, one would have reason to fear IS would play it safe/lazy at some point and have him steal the show, not unlike Ike in the Tower of Guidance, where they degenerated into giving him all the spotlight and Micaiah none.

I don't necessarily agree with Marth and Alm meeting except along the lines of Suikoden II's 5 minute visit to the Toran Republic. It seems inappropriate for the setting to have monarchs crossing such vast distances or engaging in strong, intimate long distance politics. Archanean polities are pretty small, and if that smallness is indicative of the societal level of the continent, it isn't high enough for close Valentian-Archanea political connections. I'd easily imagine the distance between Castle Zofia or Rigel Castle to be at least or exceed that between Medieval Rome and Constantinople, between whom ties were tenuous.  

So to put it simply, I'd not advocate for a sequel, but I'd not mind it too much either.