History Mode: Toughest Missions

Emblem Blade

Since my earlier topic was on the Story Mode, I'll make this one about the different types of missions in History Mode.  We know that there are those such as 'Ally Rescue', Fort Siege', Shadow Elimination', 'Arena', 'Targeted Elimination', 'Timed Attack', 'Timed Assault', and 'Fort Defense'.  I'm guessing I'm forgetting some so feel to fill in the gaps if I'm indeed missing any.  Additionally, we also can realize that some missions have hefty restrictions such as limiting us to certain weapon classes, 15 minutes instead of 60 or forcing us to using characters from a particular game (Rowan and Lianna are always available to be used regardless of this restriction), or doing at least two of the above.  Looking at the posts on different topics, I'm seeing quite a number on the 'Shadow Elimination', which I can agree with, especially when it involves getting both a new character as a clear result but their unique weapon if you cleared with an S-Rank.  Celica's 'Together to the End' mission is easily the hardest since you have more enemy characters plus one Shadow Xander then 3-4 copies of Shadow Darios to deal with before fighting the real deal and all of those Shadows are hard to dispose of easily unless you are either a bit too over-leveled or carry bonus damage.  Of course you can skip the shadows and gun for the real Darios but defeating the Shadows first means that you don't need to worry about losing your forts.  Then we get the endgame boss as normal just like in 'Noble Lady of Caelin', who more or less is a pushover compared to the earlier ordeals.

Edit: There's also 'Pincer Escape'  (Chapter 12 anyone?) and another where you have to constantly stop enemies from regrouping.

For me, 'Shadow Elimination' was one of my least worries, since I always bring my main attackers who are at least Lvl 70 after clearing 'The Path is Yours' and even before then a team of Lvl 50s/60s was enough to keep an advantage.  In 'Together to the End', my Lianna, Marth and Lyn were perhaps too powerful as most of the enemy competition didn't last too long once each battle started.  I got both S-Ranks needed for Sol Katti and Lady Sword as 2,000 kills which can be obtained by the whole team working together, the time limit was the main thing but Lyn's mission was harder, if only due to running around the map and my poor option of choosing mostly using Bows and Tomes while rushing to get Lyn before I fell asleep when the entire map was mostly Tomes thankfully I had Tiki on my team.  I find anything that says 'Bows Only' or 'Tomes/Stones only' to be harder since we only have THREE Bow-Users, Sakura and Takumi normally and getting Anna can be a practical nightmare if one's team isn't up to the level to fight her and which History Mode Map you're on.  The only good thing is that if you do every mission prior, we get bonuses to add such as Mountslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer and Plateslayer which combined with the innate Wingslayer gives some good coverage.  Also, with 'Tomes/Stones', you more than likely run into enemies who have very high Resistance which means that your team is going to struggle a lot.  I ended up overusing Sakura and Robin to where I had to over-level them just to make sure I wouldn't be in a guaranteed no-win scenario and even then the 'Bow-User only' mission that was required for 'Together to the End' where you have to keep Lissa, Navarre and an ally Swordmaster as well as your own ally commander and base safe gave me two losses in a row since  I couldn't heal both the ally base and Navarre at the same time.

What types of missions or specific missions on the History Mode Maps gave you the hardest time?

Edited by Emblem Blade

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always lose once or twice on missions that seem to have a massive force enter the main base pretty early in the level, I always lose it fast when I accidently miss the main force approching.

1 hour ago, Thany said:

I always lose once or twice on missions that seem to have a massive force enter the main base pretty early in the level, I always lose it fast when I accidently miss the main force approching.

Can you name some missions that put your base under siege early on?

Relevant:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Timed Attack and Timed Assault gives me a huge headache especially trying to get 2,000 kills for the S rank. Sure, you could get away with it in the normal ones by cheesing it with Lyn's C6 but comes the missions where they restrict you to certain characters (Either only the fates cast or "Bows only"), then I need to take a break between each tries before I threw my 3DS in rage.

Edited by TanatatKnight

"Noble lady of Cealin", "Together to the end." and really any map that has the damned dragon appear at the end. Not because he is particularly difficult or anything, but his massive HP take a while to chew through, which can easily cost you an S-rank if you didn't expect him (and sometimes even then). Then you get to do the whole map over again, if you didn't make it. Plus the way he appears gets old fast. It's like the devs couldn't think of different ways to make the final maps brutal and just went to stick the dragon at the end every single time.

Other missions that are challenging (when first attempted at least) are the final Fates maps with Xander and Ryouma storming your bases all doped up. If you don't know what you need to do this can end in a game over quickly

"Bow only" maps weren't difficult for me at all, since Takumi and Sakura are my favourites and therefore my highest leveled characters. "Tome only" are trickier since I barely use full-mages (and not just character with magic weapons), plus they are usually stuffed with high-res enemies, turning the whole thing into a slog.

7 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Can you name some missions that put your base under siege early on?

There was this one mission I think in hoshido where you fight some archers, and your base leader is a pegasus, and they die in just 1-2 hits and by the time you know you already lost.

9 hours ago, TanatatKnight said:

Timed Attack and Timed Assault gives me a huge headache especially trying to get 2,000 kills for the S rank. Sure, you could get away with it in the normal ones by cheesing it with Lyn's C6 but comes the missions where they restrict you to certain characters (Either only the fates cast or "Bows only"), then I need to take a break between each tries before I threw my 3DS in rage.

Huh, the only one of these to really give me trouble was the one to get Leo's scroll and the bow one for Lyn's. I find that Chrom and Lucina are pretty good at it if you just use Aether a lot. As for the bows, I used a level 99 Takumi with a fully powered bow with dragon killer among other things and Astra. 

9 hours ago, Nanima said:

"Noble lady of Cealin", "Together to the end." and really any map that has the damned dragon appear at the end. Not because he is particularly difficult or anything, but his massive HP take a while to chew through, which can easily cost you an S-rank if you didn't expect him (and sometimes even then). Then you get to do the whole map over again, if you didn't make it. Plus the way he appears gets old fast. It's like the devs couldn't think of different ways to make the final maps brutal and just went to stick the dragon at the end every single time.

Other missions that are challenging (when first attempted at least) are the final Fates maps with Xander and Ryouma storming your bases all doped up. If you don't know what you need to do this can end in a game over quickly

"Bow only" maps weren't difficult for me at all, since Takumi and Sakura are my favourites and therefore my highest leveled characters. "Tome only" are trickier since I barely use full-mages (and not just character with magic weapons), plus they are usually stuffed with high-res enemies, turning the whole thing into a slog.

I can usually kill the dragon fast with double Warrior specials and Awakening. The key is to have at least one character paired up and with lots of Warrior and Awakening gauge. Chrom or Lucina in Awakening mode using I think it's C5 repeatedly can get a critical almost every time you do it. It did cost me an S rank on Celica's Anna map the first time though.

I think the Fate's Anna Map may be the hardest if just because of how limited you are on characters.

There are several hard missions in History Mode for me. Some I can't complete / S-rank for the life of me.

The ones you need to do to get the scrolls to upgrade the personal weapons are pretty tough to S-rank (kill 2,000 enemies in under 5 minutes, are you kidding me?), and any Shadow Elimination mission is hell on earth due to too much crap happening all at once, especially the ones where there isn't any way you can up your damage output against the specific shadow, which is why I didn't have much trouble against the Shadow Elimination missions with Hinoka and Xander. Fighting other characters in general REALLY sucks in this game, especially when you're under time restrictions.

I also don't really like the "Fates only" missions, since I am very, very terrible at using Fates' characters (also I neglected to level them due to my strong animosity towards every Fates Royal that isn't named Sakura or Elise). This of course extends into the "bows only" missions as well, since, while I enjoy using Sakura, I'm not very good at it.

The Stone/Tomes only ones are only tough because of the enemies that appear in them, otherwise they aren't too much trouble, since Tiki is pretty much my strongest character level-wise right now and I really enjoy using her, even though I'm probably terrible at it. The only Stone/Tomes only map I dread is the one on Celica's Map (I think it's Iago's icon), because while I can decimate normal officers with Tiki no problem, fighting other characters as her... doesn't usually go well. My go-to character for Shadow Eliminations is usually either Lissa or Lianna, but since I can't use them, I'm screwed.

I used to dread "Mounts only" missions due to the mounts having a very unique playstyle and large models that cover up most of the enemies so it's hard to see enemy officers attack, but I have gotten quite used to Shiida, so these types of missions aren't THAT hard anymore.

I'll also echo what Nanima said and express my distaste towards that stupid dragon. I hate easy bosses that take forever to kill in any type of video game and this guy is a pretty strong offender.

I also really dislike the Arena battles, if only because it's fighting other characters, which is REALLY annoying, since they all take ages to kill, even with Awakening (which you can't use for extended periods of time in the Arena anyway) and Dual Specials. Not to mention they do a crapton of damage and as soon as you're caught by one, the other (yes, sometimes you'll have to fight two characters at once) will just rail on you and since you can't really break out of combos, that is where the damage percentage increases and your chances of getting an S-rank die.
For added hell, try fighting an Arena battle where Marth, Chrom and / or Lucina appear as Tiki or Corrin.
As an aside, it's really interesting that even with effective damage, enemies never really seem to get stunned, while if you get hit by an effective weapon, you're immediately immobilized as the game goes into slow-mo and you get combo'ed to death.

I haven't gotten any Anna missions yet, but I hear they're pretty nightmarish as well.

I think most of the difficulty for me stems not from the fact that the maps themselves are hard, but that I am too incompetent at certain characters' playstyles and of course that I, like in pretty much any action RPG, just mash buttons at random until stuff dies. I can never pay attention to how often I press the Y button, so my strong attacks and combo length are always a gamble. This is also why weapons skills that boost specific strong attacks are utterly useless to me.

All of the Shadow Elimination missions. Super-tough mooks who constantly respawn, along with constantly spawning mages to buff/heal them, on top of how artificially tanky "unique" enemy generals are, was just...a really bad decision, and leads to long, unfun slogs of maps. That KT felt the need to make a significant chunk of Noble Lady of Caelin consist of these missions is just baffling.

Edited by Azure Sen

11 hours ago, TanatatKnight said:

Lyn in general is very strong in-game, she makes the best user for the trio of Awakening, Luna and Astra as her C6's power gets ramped up due to how high her hit count is.  Timed Attack is different as depending on the restrictions (if any), you might not hit the 1,000 requirement.  Timed Assault isn't that hard, your ally as long as they aren't Lissa, Sakura or Elise helps you reach the 2,000 kill count pretty fast.

1 hour ago, Arthur97 said:

Huh, the only one of these to really give me trouble was the one to get Leo's scroll and the bow one for Lyn's. I find that Chrom and Lucina are pretty good at it if you just use Aether a lot. As for the bows, I used a level 99 Takumi with a fully powered bow with dragon killer among other things and Astra. 

I can usually kill the dragon fast with double Warrior specials and Awakening. The key is to have at least one character paired up and with lots of Warrior and Awakening gauge. Chrom or Lucina in Awakening mode using I think it's C5 repeatedly can get a critical almost every time you do it. It did cost me an S rank on Celica's Anna map the first time though.

I think the Fate's Anna Map may be the hardest if just because of how limited you are on characters.

Chrom and Lucina might require Astra for some since Chrom is a bit of slow attacker as a swordsman oddly enough and Lucina is only slightly faster while attacking.  Takumi is just broken as a Sniper, 102 Strength and 150 Skill at Lvl 99  without skills means that his critical hits hurt if you have a bonus attribute to hit each enemy with.  Both his and Sakura's shared C5 with the Warrior Gauge passives maxed out combined with Astra means they can spam their Warrior Specials just as fast as they will it, toss in Luna and/or Awakening and Takumi almost rivals Lyn.

Said Dragon is immune to bonus damage of all types and occasionally flies briefly meaning that any non-Warrior/Dual Special attack will fail.  Of course, getting a critical actually does more damage than most Warrior Specials against it as a successful critical hit stuns it for a few seconds so you can usually pull two off without noticing.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

There are several hard missions in History Mode for me. Some I can't complete / S-rank for the life of me.

The ones you need to do to get the scrolls to upgrade the personal weapons are pretty tough to S-rank (kill 2,000 enemies in under 5 minutes, are you kidding me?), and any Shadow Elimination mission is hell on earth due to too much crap happening all at once, especially the ones where there isn't any way you can up your damage output against the specific shadow, which is why I didn't have much trouble against the Shadow Elimination missions with Hinoka and Xander. Fighting other characters in general REALLY sucks in this game, especially when you're under time restrictions.

I also don't really like the "Fates only" missions, since I am very, very terrible at using Fates' characters (also I neglected to level them due to my strong animosity towards every Fates Royal that isn't named Sakura or Elise). This of course extends into the "bows only" missions as well, since, while I enjoy using Sakura, I'm not very good at it.

The Stone/Tomes only ones are only tough because of the enemies that appear in them, otherwise they aren't too much trouble, since Tiki is pretty much my strongest character level-wise right now and I really enjoy using her, even though I'm probably terrible at it. The only Stone/Tomes only map I dread is the one on Celica's Map (I think it's Iago's icon), because while I can decimate normal officers with Tiki no problemarrow-10x10.png, fighting other characters as her... doesn't usually go well. My go-to character for Shadow Eliminations is usually either Lissa or Lianna, but since I can't use them, I'm screwed.

I used to dread "Mounts only" missions due to the mounts having a very unique playstyle and large models that cover up most of the enemies so it's hard to see enemy officers attack, but I have gotten quite used to Shiida, so these types of missions aren't THAT hard anymore.

I'll also echo what Nanima said and express my distaste towards that stupid dragon. I hate easy bosses that take forever to kill in any type of video game and this guy is a pretty strong offender.

I also really dislike the Arena battles, if only because it's fighting other characters, which is REALLYarrow-10x10.png annoying, since they all take ages to kill, even with Awakening (which you can't use for extended periods of time in the Arena anyway) and Dual Specials. Not to mention they do a crapton of damage and as soon as you're caught by one, the other (yes, sometimes you'll have to fight two characters at once) will just rail on you and since you can't really break out of combos, that is where the damage percentage increases and your chances of getting an S-rank die.
For added hell, try fighting an Arena battle where Marth, Chrom and / or Lucina appear as Tiki or Corrin.
As an aside, it's really interesting that even with effective damage, enemies never really seem to get stunned, while if you get hit by an effective weapon, you're immediately immobilized as the game goes into slow-mo and you get combo'ed to death.

I haven't gotten any Anna missions yet, but I hear they're pretty nightmarish as well.

I think most of the difficulty for me stems not from the fact that the maps themselves are hard, but that I am too incompetent at certain characters' playstyles and of course that I, like in pretty much any action RPG, just mash buttons at random until stuff dies. I can never pay attention to how often I press the Y button, so my strong attacks and combo length are always a gamble. This is also why weapons skills that boost specific strong attacks are utterly useless to me.

The Dragon is actually a bit too easy, compared to most of the issues before it shows up, that's what I find annoying.  Running around defeating every Shadow is the trial when considering how hard they can hit and how much punishment they can take as well as how many Shadows must be dealt with first, the Dragon just seems like the game is attempting to troll us by placing a relatively easy boss after all the stress that we had to cope with just earlier on.

The arena early on is a pain, the first one which is in 'Invisible Ties' ends with Owain (Swordsmaster) + Cordelia (Falcon Knight) and the difficulty is only at Lvl 9-13 I believe and unless you know that there is a Falcon Knight, you probably won't bring Sakura or Takumi and without either the battle drags on since Cordelia triggers an enemy-wide healing buff.  Later Arena challenges become less problematic as you have effective counters.  Chrom/Lucina then Marth can deal with Corrin and Dragons in general, Sakura/Takumi and Anna (if you have her) can kill flyers and your normal swordsmen (swordswomen for Lucina, Corrin, Lyn and Celica) can handle everyone else even Halberdiers without a big deal.  Time is also unlimited so it's just dodging to avoid being hit.  Even enemies with the weapon advantage can get stunned if they miss their Strong attack and you can retaliate quick enough.

29 minutes ago, Azure Sen said:

All of the Shadow Elimination missions. Super-tough mooks who constantly respawn, along with constantly spawning mages to buff/heal them, on top of how artificially tanky "unique" enemy generals are, was just...a really bad decision, and leads to long, unfun slogs of maps. That KT felt the need to make a significant chunk of Noble Lady of Caelin consist of these missions is just baffling.

Noble Lady of Caelin was one of the easier Shadow Missions for me somehow out of the entire map, maybe because the highest was Lvl 45 in the story and only became hard as I used Tome/Bow/Stone users for the one against Validar.  Try the one against Iago and Gharnef for Together to the End, those ones can give you nightmares due to the Rally Commanders and Priests constantly appearing to ruin the day.  The Sages are still crap, they aren't hard to defeat but the constant Shadow summon spam is a pain to get around if you fail to remove the two of them quickly.  While the bosses can usually be defeated in 1-2 Warrior Specials, everything before then is just harsh.  The Iago one made me rage as I had to deal with 6 Shadow Iagos running around at one point with two of them attacking the Ally Base and the entire mission disabled the ability to heal HP, even while inside a base.  Gosh, I never hated Iago so much but now I just want to murder him whenever he pops up.  'Together to the End', with Darios and the endgame boss on the other hand was a pushover compared to dealing with Iago and Gharnef's respective missions.

8 minutes ago, Emblem Blade said:

Chrom and Lucina might require Astra for some since Chrom is a bit of slow attacker as a swordsman oddly enough and Lucina is only slightly faster while attacking.  Takumi is just broken as a Sniper, 102 Strength and 150 Skill at Lvl 99  without skills means that his critical hits hurt if you have a bonus attribute to hit each enemy with.  Both his and Sakura's shared C5 with the Warrior Gauge passives maxed out combined with Astra means they can spam their Warrior Specials just as fast as they will it, toss in Luna and/or Awakening and Takumi almost rivals Lyn.

Said Dragon is immune to bonus damage of all types and occasionally flies briefly meaning that any non-Warrior/Dual Special attack will fail.  Of course, getting a critical actually does more damage than most Warrior Specials against it as a successful critical hit stuns it for a few seconds so you can usually pull two off without noticing.

They both have Astra though I figured they had the same attack speed. I honestly don't remember what it's like to use them at normal speed now. Either way, they usually make short work of those missions and I think they'd do well even without Astra. Though they are probably the best dualists in my opinion as that C5 leaves little room to escape and they don't move around too much.

Takumi just doesn't seem to do much damage normally though. Even at 99 on a lv. 60 mission he seemed to be lackluster, but the Warrior bonus on his weapon helped. 

Still, in Awakening I can get several crits with those two and then get the finisher. Still, I've taken more damage off with dual Warriors than a critical if memory serves. Having a dual warrior move seems to greatly increase their power to the extreme.

6 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

They both have Astra though I figured they had the same attack speed. I honestly don't remember what it's like to use them at normal speed now. Either way, they usually make short work of those missions and I think they'd do well even without Astra. Though they are probably the best dualists in my opinion as that C5 leaves little room to escape and they don't move around too much.

Takumi just doesn't seem to do much damage normally though. Even at 99 on a lv. 60 mission he seemed to be lackluster, but the Warrior bonus on his weapon helped. 

Still, in Awakening I can get several crits with those two and then get the finisher. Still, I've taken more damage off with dual Warriors than a critical if memory serves. Having a dual warrior move seems to greatly increase their power to the extreme.

I never felt that Takumi had a lower damage output than others, but his main strength is in DPS anyway. He can shoot up large crowds of enemies in very little time, especially when given Astra. The character who never did much damage for me no matter what is Xander. With him, even killing mages seems to take ages.

5 minutes ago, Nanima said:

I never felt that Takumi had a lower damage output than others, but his main strength is in DPS anyway. He can shoot up large crowds of enemies in very little time, especially when given Astra. The character who never did much damage for me no matter what is Xander. With him, even killing mages seems to take ages.

The timed aspect of that mission may have made it feel like longer, but I also use Lucina and Chrom a good bit and they take down commanders rather easily. 

Marth is another character that just doesn't do as well for me. He has decent damage output, but his moves just don't fit me well. He has decent cloud clearing ability in his C6, but it is on the long side in execution and his C5, while it can do well at taking out the stun gauge, just seems too unreliable. Robin at least is better now that he has armored blow and can actually finish his attacks. 

11 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Chrom's normal attack speed is essentially the same as Rowan's without Astra.  The two of them hit harder but strike slower, while Lucina and Lianna hit a bit faster but don't incorporate as much power into their blows.  If you want a powerful Dual Special, pair Robin with Solidarity and Dragon Ward to Chrom or Lucina (seeing how you like those two and I won't attempt to persuade you to alter your mind), the damage boost is increased quite well.  Lobster King Ryoma's C5 also hits hard and usually activates the Stun Gauge on non-Lance users on the first or second strike (his is the actual Astra skill in normal attack form).

Takumi is a DPS nuker as Nanima stated, he can fill up his Warrior Special just as fast as Sakura can and the two can fill it up even faster with Astra.  With this, he can just spam Warrior Specials to clear forts or heavily dent powerful enemies.  He makes a fine partner with Sakura, both have innate Wingslayer so Sakura could run Mountslayer while he runs Plateslayer which essentially ruins the lives of most enemies as Generals and Guardian Knights are wrecked by Plateslayer while anything mounted would get nuked by Mountslayer.  No flyer will want to target either Bow-Users, it's a death sentence.  If Dragons are an issue, swapping Plateslayer for Dragonslayer is a good option if Sakura runs Topsy-Turvy on her bow.  Compared to the more defensive Sakura, Takumi hits harder but takes hits just as hard as his Resistance isn't as great despite being over 50 (his Defense is the same as Sakura's being at 47).

Dual Specials are the strongest attacks in the game, either clearing a fort (minus enemy characters) or doing at least 60%+ to most enemy map bosses outside of damage bonuses.  Warrior Specials hit at least 35% - 50% without damage bonuses as long as you're striking the enemy's weaker stat. Never do a Tome Warrior Special against an opposing Tome holder for a 1-v-1, the damage is barely of use..., especially when the enemies can make you flinch during your attacks that's why I didn't like the 'Tome/Stone Only' required challenge against Validar on the map, "Together to the End'.

9 minutes ago, Emblem Blade said:

Chrom's normal attack speed is essentially the same as Rowan's without Astra.  The two of them hit harder but strike slower, while Lucina and Lianna hit a bit faster but don't incorporate as much power into their blows.  If you want a powerful Dual Special, pair Robin with Solidarity and Dragon Ward to Chrom or Lucina (seeing how you like those two and I won't attempt to persuade you to alter your mind), the damage boost is increased quite well.  Lobster King Ryoma's C5 also hits hard and usually activates the Stun Gauge on non-Lance users on the first or second strike (his is the actual Astra skill in normal attack form).

Takumi is a DPS nuker as Nanima stated, he can fill up his Warrior Special just as fast as Sakura can and the two can fill it up even faster with Astra.  With this, he can just spam Warrior Specials to clear forts or heavily dent powerful enemies.  He makes a fine partner with Sakura, both have innate Wingslayer so Sakura could run Mountslayer while he runs Plateslayer which essentially ruins the lives of most enemies as Generals and Guardian Knights are wrecked by Plateslayer while anything mounted would get nuked by Mountslayer.  No flyer will want to target either Bow-Users, it's a death sentence.  If Dragons are an issue, swapping Plateslayer for Dragonslayer is a good option if Sakura runs Topsy-Turvy on her bow.  Compared to the more defensive Sakura, Takumi hits harder but takes hits just as hard as his Resistance isn't as great despite being over 50 (his Defense is the same as Sakura's being at 47).

Dual Specials are the strongest attacks in the game, either clearing a fort (minus enemy characters) or doing at least 60%+ to most enemy map bosses outside of damage bonuses.  Warrior Specials hit at least 35% - 50% without damage bonuses as long as you're striking the enemy's weaker stat. Never do a Tome Warrior Special against an opposing Tome holder for a 1-v-1, the damage is barely of use..., especially when the enemies can make you flinch during your attacks that's why I didn't like the 'Tome/Stone Only' required challenge against Validar on the map, "Together to the End'.

That's neat, never knew they had different attack speeds (now if only they gave Lucina higher Res, I mean, women do traditionally have higher Res, right? At least Luck is really useful). Come to think of it, I think Robin or the other part of the father daughter duo is often the partner. Actually, early on I often used Robin with Lucina as back up so she could reveal stun gauges which ruin destroys. Ryoma's C5 is pretty good too, but it may be better to use the dual strike to bring the gauge up before he starts. If only his C6 was as effective as it looks. It just doesn't seem to have the power to match the animation. It is in now way bad, but it just seems off.

I made it through that mission okay, though my Robin (another one of my favorites) was probably over leveled. Elise and Leo who were...not did struggle a bit more, but they pulled out and I may have actually controlled them more since they needed more help to actually do anything.

And yes, in addition to liking Chrom and Lucina, I do legitimately like their movesets. They are fairly good at clearing crowds with C6 and C5 is great for dueling. Add in Astra and even their normal string is not bad.

38 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

That's neat, never knew they had different attack speeds (now if only they gave Lucina higher Res, I mean, women do traditionally have higher Res, right? At least Luck is really useful). Come to think of it, I think Robin or the other part of the father daughter duo is often the partner. Actually, early on I often used Robin with Lucina as back up so she could reveal stun gauges which ruin destroys. Ryoma's C5 is pretty good too, but it may be better to use the dual strike to bring the gauge up before he starts. If only his C6 was as effective as it looks. It just doesn't seem to have the power to match the animation. It is in now way bad, but it just seems off.

I made it through that mission okay, though my Robin (another one of my favorites) was probably over leveled. Elise and Leo who were...not did struggle a bit more, but they pulled out and I may have actually controlled them more since they needed more help to actually do anything.

And yes, in addition to liking Chrom and Lucina, I do legitimately like their movesets. They are fairly good at clearing crowds with C6 and C5 is great for dueling. Add in Astra and even their normal string is not bad.

It seems that in Warriors, characters who share the same normal moveset have different stats and/or attack differently.  It's obviously clear stat-wise, Chrom/Lucina and Rowan/Lianna, their max stats aren't as close to each other.  Chrom and Rowan attack a bit slower, yet hit harder which is the opposite for Lucina and Lianna as they don't hit as hard but attack a bit faster.  The same is true with Astra, the former two still hit harder but aren't as fast compared to the latter two who don't hit as hard still.  Traditionally, females have higher Luck and Resistance compared to how the males have higher Strength and Defense.  Males also have higher HP whereas females have higher Magic (not that it does Chrom, Takumi and Marth any good as their Magic stats suck...).  Ryoma's main gimmick is his C3 and C4, which the former I believe creates a mini-barrier of lightning around him which damages anyone who makes contact and the latter is the only non-Awakening attack from a sword-reliant character that has range and said attack rivals if not outdoes the range that Sakura, Takumi and Anna have.  His C5 with or without the Dual Stun more than likely will allow him to perform a critical.  Yeah, his C6 could have better range than what is shown or instead could have had him perform a dash attack that hit hard.  Ryoma's C1 also is the only shield-breaking attack in-game pre-upgrade.

Chrom and Lucina are two of the earliest sword-users that we get outside of Rowan and Lianna, which helps somewhat but not as much when the path split sends the two on the maps where they aren't as needed.  By this, they get sent to maps with more swords and lances whereas the other party faces more axes and bows (yes bows that make Cordelia's life and later on Camilla's as well a living nightmare).  C5 for sword-users is usually best with Ryoma who hits hard and fast enough, but his is situational as you might miss the timing of connecting the attack.  Lyn, once recruited clears mobs and forts with her normal attacks (her normal attack finisher clears mobs pretty fast), not necessarily her absurdly powerful C6 finisher which destroys fort captains and heavily cripples enemy characters.  She makes one of the more potent Awakening/Astra/Luna trio users since she's the fastest attacker, being faster than Ryoma who's the second fastest overall with and without Astra.  Even with Astra, Ryoma is still slightly slower than non-Astra Lyn.  However getting Lyn requires going through a good number of Shadow Eliminations and Ryoma requires clearing Chapter 12 and 13 and the former is nowhere as fun on Lunatic/Classic, so Chrom/Lucina usually make the better option outside of Rowan/Lianna.  If there's a non-mounted sword-user who isn't easy to use, it's Corrin.  Her attacks are unusual as correctly timing each hit to complete the Stun Gauge is not simple as the others and getting 1,000 kills as her isn't easy either.  At least Marth can chain his aerial attacks back into his ground assault with relative control, unlike most sword-users who end up knocking enemies away or are unable to cancel their attacks fast enough.

Edited by Emblem Blade

While attempting only one (and barely managing it) Anna's levels are by far some of the hardest, mostly due to character restrictions and leveling, the Ryoma and Xander history battles gave me a little trouble but I prepared for it the second time along with leveling and beat them. Timed Attack with 700 or 1000 enemies are hard, you have to ignore every boss character ad spam your wide range moves to get as many Kos as possible, thankfully Marth's C2 is really good at this (especially with full powered Exalted Falchion with the most optimal build and being level 99). Also ditto on the dragon, I know it's like Hyrule warriors where Ganon was the final boss of every map but still, Hp takes forever to go down, and usually I spend up to 8 minutes getting the KOs (sometimes) for the S rank (especially on the shadow elimination maps where I focus on defending what I can while also striking hard) and then the boss takes another minute or three depending on levels and the amount of specials available, then the dragon comes out of nowhere across the entire map and I have to have my character run to them while others engage and it never goes well

2 hours ago, Emblem Blade said:

It seems that in Warriors, characters who share the same normal moveset have different stats and/or attack differently.  It's obviously clear stat-wise, Chrom/Lucina and Rowan/Lianna, their max stats aren't as close to each other.  Chrom and Rowan attack a bit slower, yet hit harder which is the opposite for Lucina and Lianna as they don't hit as hard but attack a bit faster.  The same is true with Astra, the former two still hit harder but aren't as fast compared to the latter two who don't hit as hard still.  Traditionally, females have higher Luck and Resistance compared to how the males have higher Strength and Defense.  Males also have higher HP whereas females have higher Magic (not that it does Chrom, Takumi and Marth any good as their Magic stats suck...).  Ryoma's main gimmick is his C3 and C4, which the former I believe creates a mini-barrier of lightning around him which damages anyone who makes contact and the latter is the only non-Awakening attack from a sword-reliant character that has range and said attack rivals if not outdoes the range that Sakura, Takumi and Anna have.  His C5 with or without the Dual Stun more than likely will allow him to perform a critical.  Yeah, his C6 could have better range than what is shown or instead could have had him perform a dash attack that hit hard.  Ryoma's C1 also is the only shield-breaking attack in-game pre-upgrade.

Chrom and Lucina are two of the earliest sword-users that we get outside of Rowan and Lianna, which helps somewhat but not as much when the path split sends the two on the maps where they aren't as needed.  By this, they get sent to maps with more swords and lances whereas the other party faces more axes and bows (yes bows that make Cordelia's life and later on Camilla's as well a living nightmare).  C5 for sword-users is usually best with Ryoma who hits hard and fast enough, but his is situational as you might miss the timing of connecting the attack.  Lyn, once recruited clears mobs and forts with her normal attacks (her normal attack finisher clears mobs pretty fast), not necessarily her absurdly powerful C6 finisher which destroys fort captains and heavily cripples enemy characters.  She makes one of the more potent Awakening/Astra/Luna trio users since she's the fastest attacker, being faster than Ryoma who's the second fastest overall with and without Astra.  Even with Astra, Ryoma is still slightly slower than non-Astra Lyn.  However getting Lyn requires going through a good number of Shadow Eliminations and Ryoma requires clearing Chapter 12 and 13 and the former is nowhere as fun on Lunatic/Classic, so Chrom/Lucina usually make the better option outside of Rowan/Lianna.  If there's a non-mounted sword-user who isn't easy to use, it's Corrin.  Her attacks are unusual as correctly timing each hit to complete the Stun Gauge is not simple as the others and getting 1,000 kills as her isn't easy either.  At least Marth can chain his aerial attacks back into his ground assault with relative control, unlike most sword-users who end up knocking enemies away or are unable to cancel their attacks fast enough.

Eh, I like a simpler and more straight forward moveset. It was the same with Link in HW. I also can't help but see Lyn as overpowered due to fanservice and resent her for it. Ryoma's fine though. Mostly, I'd say preference is the most important. Chrom and Lucina are the best for me since I know them the best, I like how they play, and am comfortable with them. They may not have the best or fastest crowd control, but with them you can do just about anything you need to as they can lock a commander or clear swaths of grunts if they need to. Then again, maybe my tastes are just weird since I have actually found myself kind of liking the pegasus knights after I learned them.

15 hours ago, Nanima said:

Disgaree on that. I have the opposite problem. Tomes/Stones only I found super easy, because I could still use Corrin. That, and I only have 2 bow users.

Right now, it's the Bow only battle in celica's map is actually the one I'm stuck on. Lol >_< How'd you do it?

1 hour ago, Arthur97 said:

Eh, I like a simpler and more straight forward moveset. It was the same with Link in HW. I also can't help but see Lyn as overpowered due to fanservice and resent her for it. Ryoma's fine though. Mostly, I'd say preference is the most important. Chrom and Lucina are the best for me since I know them the best, I like how they play, and am comfortable with them. They may not have the best or fastest crowd control, but with them you can do just about anything you need to as they can lock a commander or clear swaths of grunts if they need to. Then again, maybe my tastes are just weird since I have actually found myself kind of liking the pegasus knights after I learned them.

Lyn isn't as overpowered in all aspects, she's mainly strong for hitting a large mob and decimating it in short time.  She has the power and speed required for such a task and she's nowhere as fanservice'y as Camilla (sorry but the best Big Sister in FE up to date still has the most fanservice).  Unless she's in Awakening, she doesn't directly have the power to effectively target one enemy specifically and defeat him/her/it since her attacks often make her zigzag resulting with not every hit connecting so the total damage isn't exactly what you desire.  With the exception of Sakura (requires Topsy-Turvy at the least), Robin/Elise/Leo (who do less damage against those with high Resistance) and Tiki (lower stats than everyone in general), everyone else does nearly the same damage in regards to Warrior Specials, so she's not so special there.  That forms the big difference, Chrom and Lucina for example are better for fighting enemies 1-v-1 as their movesets are more precise and focused, Lyn's is mostly superior as a mob clearer due to how her attacks are more spread out.  You'll often get more damage on a single boss with Chrom than Lyn with it being the opposite for clearing forts and mobs at the same time.  A core skill set that I mostly use is Awakening and Astra with Luna mainly equipped to anyone who can land several hits in a strong finisher (Ryoma, Marth, Lyn and Celica (copy of Marth)).  It also takes a bit more control to properly attack with Lyn since if you have Astra on her, you can still effectively miss most of her C finishers even more unlike the more basic sword-users Rowan/Lianna and Chrom/Lucina who are slower yet more concentrated.  Also, when facing Shadow Enemies or those who are under super armor, Lyn's use is kind of low as most of her attacks aren't going to get the full hit count.  Yes this is coming from someone who uses Lyn most of the time whenever I can (I still prefer Lianna in general).

1 hour ago, TheTuckingFypo said:

Disgaree on that. I have the opposite problem. Tomes/Stones only I found super easy, because I could still use Corrin. That, and I only have 2 bow users.

Right now, it's the Bow only battle in celica's map is actually the one I'm stuck on. Lol >_< How'd you do it?

Corrin doesn't use 'Stones' in Warriors, they're locked to swords only and if promoted, staves as well.  The dragonic attacks aren't treated as 'Stone attacks' since they can't be equipped with 'Stones' as only Tiki uses them so far.  :/ I know it's odd that Corrin, who in Fates and Heroes could use 'Stones' can't use those or Tomes in Warriors.  I've tested it out and Corrin was shaded out meaning that they were unable to be deployed on 'Tome/Stone Only' maps that force that restriction.  If the restriction is removed, Corrin can be used.

If you're going to clear that Timed Attack (1,000 kills to clear), Sakura, Takumi or Anna will need Astra for sure, Awakening and/or Luna if extra power is required and either of them will need to be high-leveled, to get the most damage out.  Takumi is best as he has higher Strength and Skill which results in stronger critical hits and Gharnef naturally walls Topsy-Turvy Sakura/Anna and takes less damage from those two otherwise.  Dragonslayer is required since there are a good number of Dragons/Manaketes that show up not to mention Shadow Tiki and somehow a Shadow Corrin and Dragonslayer lets you defeat them with minimal effort.  I would also suggest having the Strong Attack V boost since it's the trio's only way of utilizing Luna's ability and with Astra, Strong Attack V nets in about one full Warrior Gauge in less than 10 seconds if every hit connects on a mob.  Rainstorm is mandatory, the normal damage boost is going to be required in any circumstance.  For the 'Ally Rescue', you should be using Sakura and her bow should have Dragonslayer equipped as you'll be rushing around healing everyone.  Keep Takumi (or Anna if you have her) near Navarre and have him target Marth while you eliminate the Fafnir that are targetting the Ally Base and clear out the two forts near Lissa (as well as defeating the Swordsmaster, two Fighters  and 1-2 Dragons attacking Lissa).  Then head over to your ally Swordsmaster who is on the other side of the map and clear out those enemies, doing so should unlock Tiki's base and a single Warrior Special should KO her.  If Marth is still alive after you save Lissa and the Swordsmaster, remove Marth as Navarre is only counted as 'saved' once Marth is defeated.  If you have Anna, place either Takumi or her to attack Marth and the other to defend the ally Swordsmaster.

2 hours ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

While attempting only one (and barely managing it) Anna's levels are by far some of the hardest, mostly due to character restrictions and leveling, the Ryoma and Xander history battles gave me a little trouble but I prepared for it the second time along with leveling and beat them. Timed Attack with 700 or 1000 enemies are hard, you have to ignore every boss character ad spam your wide range moves to get as many Kos as possible, thankfully Marth's C2 is really good at this (especially with full powered Exalted Falchion with the most optimal build and being level 99). Also ditto on the dragon, I know it's like Hyrule warriors where Ganon was the final boss of every map but still, Hp takes forever to go down, and usually I spend up to 8 minutes getting the KOs (sometimes) for the S rank (especially on the shadow elimination maps where I focus on defending what I can while also striking hard) and then the boss takes another minute or three depending on levels and the amount of specials available, then the dragon comes out of nowhere across the entire map and I have to have my character run to them while others engage and it never goes well

Anna's missions are extreme since the enemies are at least Lvl 90 on a difficulty of Lvl 80.  So even with a ton of Lvl 99 fully promoted units with the proper skills, the individual fights are going to take quite some time as the enemies are going to hit harder and take more damage before going down.  I don't know the restriction for Anna's missions on the maps 'Noble Lady of Caelin' or 'Together to the End' but out of the original three, Fates is better as you have more units to use outside of Rowan and Lianna who can still be deployed regardless.  Reminds me of that hidden path on Apotheosis in Awakening, the enemies were just absurd, mostly the Snipers and Berserkers with Dragonskin, Hawkeye and Counter, gosh, those moments were horrifying.  Anna sure knows how to make things harder than even the story itself on Lunatic/Classic.

Edited by Emblem Blade

1 hour ago, Emblem Blade said:

Anna's missions are extreme since the enemies are at least Lvl 90 on a difficulty of Lvl 80.  So even with a ton of Lvl 99 fully promoted units with the proper skills, the individual fights are going to take quite some time as the enemies are going to hit harder and take more damage before going down.  I don't know the restriction for Anna's missions on the maps 'Noble Lady of Caelin' or 'Together to the End' but out of the original three, Fates is better as you have more units to use outside of Rowan and Lianna who can still be deployed regardless.  Reminds me of that hidden path on Apotheosis in Awakening, the enemies were just absurd, mostly the Snipers and Berserkers with Dragonskin, Hawkeye and Counter, gosh, those moments were horrifying.  Anna sure knows how to make things harder than even the story itself on Lunatic/Classic.

Yeah I saw that, well I did beat it with some level 60's and a lot of time and damage taken oh gods, I hope it's not Lyn/Celica and the twins only. I still have yet to beat the secret route of Apotheosis (I will, just my 3ds with the dlc and game file I'm using for it is broken and I got a replacement coming) but yeah, that is tough, tbh it's almost a perfect analogy as Anna is the boss of both of them. I still think once I get everyone to level 99 and max out weapons It'll be a lot easier.

1 hour ago, Emblem Blade said:

Lyn isn't as overpowered in all aspects, she's mainly strong for hitting a large mob and decimating it in short time.  She has the power and speed required for such a task and she's nowhere as fanservice'y as Camilla (sorry but the best Big Sister in FE up to date still has the most fanservice).  Unless she's in Awakening, she doesn't directly have the power to effectively target one enemy specifically and defeat him/her/it since her attacks often make her zigzag resulting with not every hit connecting so the total damage isn't exactly what you desire.  With the exception of Sakura (requires Topsy-Turvy at the least), Robin/Elise/Leo (who do less damage against those with high Resistance) and Tiki (lower stats than everyone in general), everyone else does nearly the same damage in regards to Warrior Specials, so she's not so special there.  That forms the big difference, Chrom and Lucina for example are better for fighting enemies 1-v-1 as their movesets are more precise and focused, Lyn's is mostly superior as a mob clearer due to how her attacks are more spread out.  You'll often get more damage on a single boss with Chrom than Lyn with it being the opposite for clearing forts and mobs at the same time.  A core skill set that I mostly use is Awakening and Astra with Luna mainly equipped to anyone who can land several hits in a strong finisher (Ryoma, Marth, Lyn and Celica (copy of Marth)).  It also takes a bit more control to properly attack with Lyn since if you have Astra on her, you can still effectively miss most of her C finishers even more unlike the more basic sword-users Rowan/Lianna and Chrom/Lucina who are slower yet more concentrated.  Also, when facing Shadow Enemies or those who are under super armor, Lyn's use is kind of low as most of her attacks aren't going to get the full hit count.  Yes this is coming from someone who uses Lyn most of the time whenever I can (I still prefer Lianna in general).

I didn't mean so much that fanservice as I did, she won a poll, let's make her broken and shoehorn her in. It doesn't help her portrayal from what I've seen rubs me the wrong way (a bit too arrogant and it seems worse than it was in Blazing Blade). Her Marth support (Eliwood 2.0) helped with that a little though. All your points seem valid (I don't have the data to disagree), but I still get irked. The twins have grown on me though and I can switch between them as needed since they're clones (even got a badge for getting them to max level). This game has done something impressive where no single moveset seems utterly terrible. The irony being that you're less likely to be forced into one singular character.

12 hours ago, Thany said:

There was this one mission I think in hoshido where you fight some archers, and your base leader is a pegasus, and they die in just 1-2 hits and by the time you know you already lost.

That sounds like a right pain in the ass... Anyway, would it happen to be the one with the Takumi icon? Also, I think there's another one on the Together to the End map. Unless that one happens to be the one you're talking about...

27 minutes ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Yeah I saw that, well I did beat it with some level 60's and a lot of time and damage taken oh gods, I hope it's not Lyn/Celica and the twins only. I still have yet to beat the secret route of Apotheosis (I will, just my 3ds with the dlc and game file I'm using for it is broken and I got a replacement coming) but yeah, that is tough, tbh it's almost a perfect analogy as Anna is the boss of both of them. I still think once I get everyone to level 99 and max out weapons It'll be a lot easier.

I tried Anna's mission on 'The Path Is Yours' and even with a team of Lvl 70s I heavily struggled the first time on my original Lunatic/Classic file so I'm redoing it again but instead with a team of Lvl 99s fully promoted on a copied file that's Lunatic/Casual (because having to drain resources when I want to redo a mission once it's completed without losses is just odd compared to the main series where a loss on a Classic run is permanent.)  I don't know the restrictions for Noble Lady of Caelin or Together to the End yet, since on my Lunatic Classic/Casual files I'm still struggling to get every memento without anyone dying and it gets harder past Chapter 12.

6 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

I didn't mean so much that fanservice as I did, she won a poll, let's make her broken and shoehorn her in. It doesn't help her portrayal from what I've seen rubs me the wrong way (a bit too arrogant and it seems worse than it was in Blazing Blade). Her Marth support (Eliwood 2.0) helped with that a little though. All your points seem valid (I don't have the data to disagree), but I still get irked. The twins have grown on me though and I can switch between them as needed since they're clones (even got a badge for getting them to max level). This game has done something impressive where no single moveset seems utterly terrible. The irony being that you're less likely to be forced into one singular character.

Well, Lyn's personality is a bit different but so is Marth's.  Lyn seems a bit more impatient as some of her in-battle dialogue shows she just wants to get back to fighting.  Marth's supports with some other characters has him scold the people he's talking to although they're still struggling to remember that THIS Marth is most likely from before he gained so much respect from his legends before his death whereas everyone else only knows him from his legends and actions (after his death has passed).  The Marth/Lucina A+ Support has poor Lucina trying to realize everything but Marth seems to go ballistic for the first half of the dialogue.  Marth in the previous games was more calm and understanding.

Every character has their strengths and flaws, so they're not all going to excel at everything which is not helped by how some of their stats make zero sense.  An example is Robin and his fairly decent yet average Strength Stat when as a Lvl 99 Grand Master.  His Magic is far higher than his Strength and said Strength would be nice if he could use swords...but he can't and reversing his Tomes to use the Strength Stat is useless as he loses most of his potential as an attacker.  The only time where being forced to use a single character is the Timed Attack missions and it becomes annoying if it's Bow-Users only on maps with a lot of physically defensive opponents.

9 hours ago, Emblem Blade said:

Every character has their strengths and flaws, so they're not all going to excel at everything which is not helped by how some of their stats make zero sense.  An example is Robin and his fairly decent yet average Strength Stat when as a Lvl 99 Grand Master.  His Magic is far higher than his Strength and said Strength would be nice if he could use swords...but he can't and reversing his Tomes to use the Strength Stat is useless as he loses most of his potential as an attacker.  The only time where being forced to use a single character is the Timed Attack missions and it becomes annoying if it's Bow-Users only on maps with a lot of physically defensive opponents.

If it's a bow only unit hopefully it's Takumi with a true power Fuijin Yumi, that way you can throw plateslayer on him and with how fast his special gauge fills, it'll do good damage to generals and guardian knights.