Holy War (yellow) deck help

Hey guys, 

I hope this is the correct place to post this. If not, please let me know. 

I need some help with my yellow deck. I'm quite new to the FETCG, only started playing this summer and I can seem to get a good flow in my deck. 

So any tips about deck building are welcome and below I have included my deck list for more specific feedback. 

Deck v1

Spoiler

01 Sigurd (1) = main

02 Sigurd (3/2)
04 Sigurd (4/3)
= 7

02 Ares (4/3)
04 Seliph (1)
02 Seliph (4/3)
04 Leif (1)
02 Leif (4/3)
= 14

03 Deirdre (1)
03 Ethlyn (1)
03 Lewyn (2) 
= 9

04 Larcei (2)
04 Azel (1)
02 Azel (3/2)
= 10

01 Emma (1)
03 Karin (1)
03 Fee (1)
03 Erin (1)
= 10

01 Arvis (5/4)
= 1

Total: 51

Deck v2

Spoiler

03 Shannan (1) = main
04 Shannan (4/3)
04 Leif (1)
04 Leif (4/3)
04 Sigurd (1)
04 Sigurd (4/3)
= 23

04 Arthur (1)
04 Arthur (3/2)
04 Azel (1)
04 Azel (3/2)
= 16

04 Deidre (1)
04 Julia (1)
04 Erin (1)
= 12

Total: 51

Explanation v2

Spoiler

About the deck, I switched mains because Sigurd isn't that good. I switched to Shannan, because I like him very much and think his ability is very good. However it is costly, needing to have multiple copies of him in the deck and his other card not being so good. 

Considering that you will most likely have a card as a support rather than drawing it, I choose to go with multiple copies of the 1 drop because of the emblem, giving a 30 support when attacking. 

For the rest of the deck I included the 20 support sword users, because they help Shannan's 1 drop get stronger and have the fate emblem to improve my hand. 

Than to further improve my hand and increasing the change to draw the 4/3 Shannan, I included Azel and Arthur. Both having the mage emblem and handy for dealing with the back row. They also have bond skills that improve my hand. 

And finally finishing with Deidre and Julia combo to heal for no cost. Getting the healed card in the deployment phase so you could play it that turn. Not sure if it's better than a healer, but these don't need to flip bonds, which I need to flip for Shannan's ability. 

Also I included Erin, because I find her promotion the only worth while of the available Fliers. Just need to find space to put the promotion in. 

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by 341
Deck v2

I'm no expect at Sigurd, but this deck is basically what... the Starter Deck with a few added tidbits I guess. 

Ratios are all over the place: You should max out cards instead of going with mismatched ones such as 1 ofs / 2 ofs / 3 ofs. 
Larcei doesn't really do anything in this deck in particular, you should just take her out and replace her with something more playable (like Deirdre 4/3, Julia 4/3, Seliph... etc)

Yes I started out with the starter deck and than edited it. Thank you for the feedback, I have a few questions if you don't mind :

I should even max out the hight cost cards? (like the 3/2's and 4/3's)

Also what is a good number of cards to have of your main? 

Arvis is basically only used as a one card removal of bothersome units, is that acceptable to be played as a one of? Or should I even then avoid such cards? 

The flyers are in the deck for the support values, is there a guideline to how many you should have of them? 

13 hours ago, 341 said:

Yes I started out with the starter deck and than edited it. Thank you for the feedback, I have a few questions if you don't mind :

I should even max out the hight cost cards? (like the 3/2's and 4/3's)

Also what is a good number of cards to have of your main? 

Arvis is basically only used as a one card removal of bothersome units, is that acceptable to be played as a one of? Or should I even then avoid such cards? 

The flyers are in the deck for the support values, is there a guideline to how many you should have of them? 

I'm on you.

• Max out everything you can. The less particular cards you have in a deck, and the more of each card you have of them, the more likely you'll draw into a card you need, like Arvis. Sure, it's still a near-zero chance, but it feels better to know that you had a 16/30 chance to get it right, instead of a 1/30. On the same note, try to have as little cards as possible, bringing only low-costs that have good effects, like mages, or ones that enable CCS or LvS. It's like lowmanning in FE games, you'll be able to more efficiently get cards in and out. 
  • However, in opposition to this, try to keep as little cards of your Main Character that you can't use lategame as possible. You have it right with only one copy of your Field Cost 1.
  • Sigurd as a Main Character, though, if I may, is a literal dumpster fire, and you should drop it, probably for someone like Seliph, who can do other things, like retrieve free crits, and unflip your shit.
  • Healer units, for your case, are completely useless, as you waste Bonds, which is an important resource for Holy War Flag. Have you considered using a secondary faction? It'll increase the available cards at your disposal, letting you patch up your healer problem with cheaper healing options, though it may clash with certain cards in your deck. 
  • Another thing to note: Attack gains have diminishing returns. No matter how big your Attack is, except in certain circumstances, you still only break 1 Orb with an attack. Even if the 10-Support cards have really big Attack, it doesn't matter, if they end up either crippling you with their low Support, or just not getting enough power to pull their weight. You're more likely to Support a card than you are to draw it, remember that!
  • Fresh Pegasus, Emma may be able to bail you out of a situation without having a unit around, but she can only do it once, so having another unit, like Wings in Search of Her Master, Erin, or Pegasus Knight-in-Training, Fee, to move your units around, is also nice, on TOP of their amazing 30 Support (another detail is that they also have decent Field Cost 3 cards). Hell, all of your Bond Skills are generally a one-time deal. B06-004SR Maiden of Destiny, Deirdre, can help you with that, by stopping most dragons (except for ones that are the Main Character, like Corrin (Female), she's popular, from what I hear), and also flipping your bonds face-UP. 
  • Instead of Emperor of Grannvale, Arvis (I assume this is the one you're talking about), consider using Head of House Veltomer, Arvis. As flipped bonds are borderline useless to you, he can easily drag an enemy unit to the Front Line, which exposes it to attack, whether it be a pesky unit that's doing too much for your opponent, or a cowardly Main Character. If not, though, I do suggest having him as either a 3- or 2-of, which will round out any complications with having 1 card of your Main Character's Field Cost 1.

Thanks you for your well explained post. This helps me greatly, I really appreciate it.

I would like to continue the discussion by discussing a main character. From what I have seen (on tcgrepublic.com) are cards like Seliph 5/4 a bit out of my price range. So are there any alternatives?

Like: Seliph 4/3, Leif 4/3 or Shannan 4/3? Or maybe you know of another good card that's a bit cheaper? 

I've edited the deck with the suggestions in mind. Maxing out as much cards as I can but also keeping it slightly budget. 

I am still missing cards and will first check the trading and selling thread to see if I can get them cheaper instead of buying them at TCGrepublic, thank you for the tip. If you know of any other places to get cards, I would be happy to hear about it. 

Leif's 5/4 and Altena's 4/3 are good MCs if you can find them at reasonable prices, though Altena ends up being a little more expensive because she works best with Ethlyn, who last I checked averages at like $7 or so for her R card. This site is one some friends of mine have bought singles from and they claim it has good pricing, but the site's translated somewhat badly, so it may be tricky to find exactly what you want - I recommend having the set numbers of the cards you're looking for on hand as that's the most reliable way to check. For a really cheap yet still-somewhat-viable MC, Holyn isn't too bad considering you can only run up to 8 copies of him total since he only has 2 different cards right now, an N and an HN. You kind of need a lot of Rearguard Units for him, though, as Holyn gains 10 ATK when he's the only Unit in the Vanguard.

Looking at your actual deck, I've gotta say that in my experience Sigurd's garbage if he's not being run as the MC, though others may have had better experiences with him. Personally, I would drop Sigurd for a couple more low-cost Fliers like Emma's Cost 1 cards. ScarletFlame has already mentioned Emma's Bond Skill is less helpful than Erin's on-field Skill, but both cards come with the Flier Support Emblem and a Support Value of 30, making them much more reliable to flip in battle than Sigurd's 20 SV + Hero Emblem, also there will be times you'll be grateful for a Bonded Emma. Arthur can also safely go without impacting your deck too much. Because I like draw support cards, I would change him out for Sarah, but if you're not consistently getting enough Bonds into the Bond Area to be able to discard them then she's not the best option. Your Healing situation is what's probably the hardest part to figure out here. As ScarletFlame mentioned, Heals cost Bonds, which can be a tricky thing to get around if your deck isn't specifically built to recycle Bonds on a regular basis like my Leif-Altena-Ethlyn deck. If you're willing to sacrifice a bit of Color consistency, I'd play a small White(Hoshidan) engine with Mikoto, as you have no way of unflipping Bonds and thus can afford to discard Face-Down Bonds once you get some of your heavy hitters out in order to get Evades or Crits, and Emma's White Cost 1, as it provides yet another 30 SV card in addition to a second option for on-field Unit Movement, and can be combined with Erin to move a Rearguard Unit forward, let them attack, then move them back out of danger. I'd recommend dropping the 3/2 Azels and the Deidres and Julias if you go that route.

Edited by SoulWeaver