DefaultBeep's Doodles and Things

DefaultBeep

Hi there! I finally decided to stop being lazy, and just make an art thread for myself. I'm not super great at drawing, and I don't do it much, but I do enjoy it, and I'm hoping that making a thread will motivate me to do it more. And even if it doesn't, at least I'll have a place to keep whatever I do draw!

Please feel free to leave comments or critiques; most of what I draw will just be simple black-and-white sketches in my notebook, but that doesn't mean that advice won't be helpful. I can take requests if anyone really wants them, but I can't promise that they'll be finished very quickly, haha.

To begin with, here's a sketch of Clarisse from New Mystery/Heroes that I finished a short while ago. Nothing too complicated, just a character I felt like drawing. I despise the design of her bow, though.

Spoiler

zip40gA.jpg

!!!!

A wild Beep Art Thread appeared! 

This is really good! Especially for someone who claims they cannot draw well because this is nice drawn.  I have a few thing as bits of advice/criticism that will be on spoiler below. 

Spoiler

The pose she is in suggests that she is angled towards the viewers left which is well executed in all but one place. In said position all of the body parts should be facing the same direction but her hand on her hip is awkwardly sticking out  and facing the camera like she is doung the chicken dance. I get the look you are going for with the hand on the hip, but its just facing thr camera head on a little too much.  If you put your hand on your hip at the same angle she then you'd find its kind of painful aftera period in time. To help with this, posing im these poses yourself helps you see how it work with certain angles or if its even humanly possible.  Whenever i draw poses, I make sure its something I can do and i refer back to it a million times, it makes things a bit easier.

While I love her boots they come up extremely high.  Never have I ever seen a pair of boots that go all the way up to her skirt. Wearing something like that sounds like it wouldn't be fun.  Her heroes art shows she has stockings or socks that come up that far but her boots are about knee level.  Her legs are kind of tiny in this compared to her torso.  Most people,  though not all, have legs longer than their head and torso combined. When you fold the drawing on itself her legs are shorter than the other half of her body.  This is probably why the boots are so high.   With the style is drawn in its not super noticeable and looks good even with the proportions being off, it was just something I noticed. 

These are all super picky things though.   Its a really good drawing and i can't wait to see more!

ohmygosh Meap I DIDN'T KNOW YOU DID ART! 

59 minutes ago, Anime27Arts said:

This is really good! Especially for someone who claims they cannot draw well because this is nice drawn.

I second this.

I absolutely detest drawing weapons, so I can totally understand haha. You did a great job on the shape and detail of the bow though. I'm not very good at critiquing artwork, so I'll just say that I cannot wait for you to do more~

5 hours ago, Anime27Arts said:

!!!!

A wild Beep Art Thread appeared! 

This is really good! Especially for someone who claims they cannot draw well because this is nice drawn.  I have a few thing as bits of advice/criticism that will be on spoiler below. 

Reveal hidden contents

The pose she is in suggests that she is angled towards the viewers left which is well executed in all but one place. In said position all of the body parts should be facing the same direction but her hand on her hip is awkwardly sticking out  and facing the camera like she is doung the chicken dance. I get the look you are going for with the hand on the hip, but its just facing thr camera head on a little too much.  If you put your hand on your hip at the same angle she then you'd find its kind of painful aftera period in time. To help with this, posing im these poses yourself helps you see how it work with certain angles or if its even humanly possible.  Whenever i draw poses, I make sure its something I can do and i refer back to it a million times, it makes things a bit easier.

While I love her boots they come up extremely high.  Never have I ever seen a pair of boots that go all the way up to her skirt. Wearing something like that sounds like it wouldn't be fun.  Her heroes art shows she has stockings or socks that come up that far but her boots are about knee level.  Her legs are kind of tiny in this compared to her torso.  Most people,  though not all, have legs longer than their head and torso combined. When you fold the drawing on itself her legs are shorter than the other half of her body.  This is probably why the boots are so high.   With the style is drawn in its not super noticeable and looks good even with the proportions being off, it was just something I noticed. 

These are all super picky things though.   Its a really good drawing and i can't wait to see more!

Wow, thanks! I still definitely don't think I'm as good as a lot of people here, like you and Natalie, but I'm glad that you guys still like it!

I can definitely see what you mean about the hand. I went through a bunch of different positions before finally settling on that one, but it's still not a compromise I'm super happy with. I felt lucky that her other hand turned out as well as it did, haha.

For the boots: they do come up pretty high, but I was using this picture of her for reference on everything but her bow, since I like that design more than her Heroes look (also less details heh). Her actually outfit ended up going a bit lower, and I think I might've made her boots too high in an attempt to account for that. That's very helpful to know about her legs, though. I was mostly judging her torso-to-leg ratio by eye, but I'll pay more attention to the proportions in the future, since I agree that her legs look kinda short now.

Thanks so much for the advice! I've drawn like five things this year, but I'm hoping to do it more often now that I have this thread to remind me.

4 hours ago, Natalie said:

ohmygosh Meap I DIDN'T KNOW YOU DID ART! 

I second this.

I absolutely detest drawing weapons, so I can totally understand haha. You did a great job on the shape and detail of the bow though. I'm not very good at critiquing artwork, so I'll just say that I cannot wait for you to do more~

Haha, thanks! I mostly drew stuff when I was younger, but it's something I still have interest in, despite my lack of doing it often. And all of the art threads here on Serenes made me want to try my hand at it again, just for fun. This is like twice the size of anything else I've drawn recently though, which was kinda nerve-wracking, but I'm happy that it turned out okay!

Yeah, her bow is both annoying to draw, as well as just a dumb design to me. I've seen a good number of bows of various models and designs, and I've never seen one with so many... layers. I cheated a bit with some of the details in my drawing, mostly for time, simplicity, and protesting the design itself, heh.

2 hours ago, SullyMcGully said:

I thought you were supposed to be horrible at art. Well, you're better than me. Clarisse looks cute, unfortunately I've never played FE3/12 so I don't know what she's supposed to look like.

Thanks! I haven't seen any of your art, but I will take that as a compliment, haha. Here's the picture I mainly used for reference again, if you're curious. I really wish that there was a better scan of it somewhere, since there's almost no full official art of Clarisse anywhere, but oh well. She's also in Heroes, but her design is much different there, so I just stuck with her original design as a reference point.

54 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

Wow, thanks! I still definitely don't think I'm as good as a lot of people here, like you and Natalie, but I'm glad that you guys still like it!

I can definitely see what you mean about the hand. I went through a bunch of different positions before finally settling on that one, but it's still not a compromise I'm super happy with. I felt lucky that her other hand turned out as well as it did, haha.

For the boots: they do come up pretty high, but I was using this picture of her for reference on everything but her bow, since I like that design more than her Heroes look (also less details heh). Her actually outfit ended up going a bit lower, and I think I might've made her boots too high in an attempt to account for that. That's very helpful to know about her legs, though. I was mostly judging her torso-to-leg ratio by eye, but I'll pay more attention to the proportions in the future, since I agree that her legs look kinda short now.

Thanks so much for the advice! I've drawn like five things this year, but I'm hoping to do it more often now that I have this thread to remind me.

Heh if you saw my art before then you wouldn't think I'm good. It takes time and practice to get anywhere. 

As for the boots, I totally get what you were going for now. My mistake xD. I've never gotten to play her aside from heroes so I figured the designs were similar,  though I think I to talk to whoever it is that thinks thigh-high boots are the ideal fashion choice for a war.

This thread kind of reminded me I hadn't posted arr in a while either. Heh I've been lazy. Opps

3 hours ago, Anime27Arts said:

Heh if you saw my art before then you wouldn't think I'm good. It takes time and practice to get anywhere. 

As for the boots, I totally get what you were going for now. My mistake xD. I've never gotten to play her aside from heroes so I figured the designs were similar,  though I think I to talk to whoever it is that thinks thigh-high boots are the ideal fashion choice for a war.

This thread kind of reminded me I hadn't posted arr in a while either. Heh I've been lazy. Opps

True, practice is the best and only real way to get better. Which this thread will hopefully help me with!

Yeah, I can't imagine that boots like that would actually be useful for that kind of situation, haha. At least most of the Pegasus Knights can somewhat get away with it since they're not going to be running as much themselves, but Clarisse and Katarina don't even get that iffy excuse.

Heh, I can definitely relate to the lazy part. I meant to start a thread like this a few weeks ago, and yet I didn't even start on Clarisse until last night (this thread was made literally like 30 minutes after I finished drawing her, for reference). I'd love to see some of your own newer stuff though, since I don't think you've updated your thread since I found it.

7 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Nice drawing, I always like it when people use avatars they drew themselves.

Thanks Rezzy! As much as I like Natalie's Ayra drawing, I agree that self-made avatars are pretty nice. It feels a bit more personal and unique that way.

I should really try to draw when it isn't past midnight...

Spoiler

RgxH0Av.jpg

I had wanted to draw whoever my first 5-star was in the current Heroes banner. Luckily, it was Deirdre, who is someone I actually like! I might not have gone through with it if it was Xander or Camilla or somebody like that, haha. Anyway, there are things that bother me about this drawing, namely in terms of the proportions of her hands and such, but oh well. It's 3 AM right now, so I should probably try to get some sleep.

4 hours ago, DefaultBeep said:

I should really try to draw when it isn't past midnight...

Hide contents

RgxH0Av.jpg

I had wanted to draw whoever my first 5-star was in the current Heroes banner. Luckily, it was Deirdre, who is someone I actually like! I might not have gone through with it if it was Xander or Camilla or somebody like that, haha. Anyway, there are things that bother me about this drawing, namely in terms of the proportions of her hands and such, but oh well. It's 3 AM right now, so I should probably try to get some sleep.

Okay,  hold up.  Remind me why you said you are a bad artist?  This is amazing Beep!  Those hands are absolutely amazing! The only two things I really see is that she kind of looks a bit crosseyed, but not awfully bad, and her hand holding the staff is in a bit of an awkward position because you have the wrist tilted 90* instead of going with the flow of her arm. It certainly doesn't look bad but if you putyour hand like that for a while, it starts to cramp up and is painful.  Other than that, this is a really amazing! Keep it up Beep!

4 hours ago, Anime27Arts said:

Okay,  hold up.  Remind me why you said you are a bad artist?  This is amazing Beep!  Those hands are absolutely amazing! The only two things I really see is that she kind of looks a bit crosseyed, but not awfully bad, and her hand holding the staff is in a bit of an awkward position because you have the wrist tilted 90* instead of going with the flow of her arm. It certainly doesn't look bad but if you putyour hand like that for a while, it starts to cramp up and is painful.  Other than that, this is a really amazing! Keep it up Beep!

Aw shucks, your're way too kind, haha. I feel like there's still a bunch of things wrong with it, but I guess they may not be as big of a deal as I think they are. I can see the crosseyed thing now that you mention it, especially with her left eye. The hand thing was definitely me trying to fix something I saw as an issue, while just making a new issue in its place. Her wrist was originally more straight, but I thought her left arm looked too long, so I tried to make it look a bit shorter by adjusting her wrist and visible sleeve, which just made the current awkward angle instead. That's what I get for not wanting to redraw the hand, haha. Thanks again for the advice, it's really appreciated!

Both of them are quite nice; good job! I don't know what the problem is with Clarisse's bow though, as it looks good. I have had trouble drawing bows before, but mostly when they are being pulled back, not at ease like here. If I may note something else though, her left hand looks... off. I don't know - its something about the angle at which is it pressed against her body that doesn't look quite right. But other than that (and even that's a really small detail), it's really good!

Deirdre looks amazing as well. With regards to what Anime said, her hand does look a little unnatural, though it was unnoticeable until I saw Anime point it out. With her eyes, they might look a bit off, but I think it helps the drawing more than it harms it. Altogether, I have nothing to really add other than great work!

And don't think you're a bad drawer. I've noticed that the creator of a work is the most critical of their work - after all, they made it, so they know every misplaced line, every disproportionate part, all the times they had to go back and erase something. So even if you notice something wrong, realize that you might be the only one to think that way, and everyone else might think it's amazing.

13 hours ago, Rex Glacies said:

Both of them are quite nice; good job! I don't know what the problem is with Clarisse's bow though, as it looks good. I have had trouble drawing bows before, but mostly when they are being pulled back, not at ease like here. If I may note something else though, her left hand looks... off. I don't know - its something about the angle at which is it pressed against her body that doesn't look quite right. But other than that (and even that's a really small detail), it's really good!

Deirdre looks amazing as well. With regards to what Anime said, her hand does look a little unnatural, though it was unnoticeable until I saw Anime point it out. With her eyes, they might look a bit off, but I think it helps the drawing more than it harms it. Altogether, I have nothing to really add other than great work!

And don't think you're a bad drawer. I've noticed that the creator of a work is the most critical of their work - after all, they made it, so they know every misplaced line, every disproportionate part, all the times they had to go back and erase something. So even if you notice something wrong, realize that you might be the only one to think that way, and everyone else might think it's amazing.

Thanks Rex! I took some lame shortcuts to draw her bow that I'm not very happy with, but it's honestly more just the official design of the bow itself that annoys me. I've seen a lot of bows in person thanks to my sister, and I've never seen one so pointy and layered before. It just strikes me as impractical, especially with the part that covers her hand at the grip.

Yeah, I was trying to give Deirdre a distant and somewhat confused expression, but it ended up going a bit overboard into crosseyed instead, haha. At least it still kinda works for her, I suppose.

That's probably likely. No one seems to have noticed any of the things that bothered me most about the Deirdre drawing (in fact, people have exclusively mentioned things that I didn't even realize, heh), which is probably a sign that I shouldn't stress out about them too much. And the pictures I post here have the leftover erased lines digitally removed (with MS Paint, which is not a great tool for image editing), while I can still see the original picture with all the faded lines intact. But regardless, I do still think that I have room for improvement, and I'm thankful that you guys have been here and pointing out stuff!

• 4 weeks later...

Wait, no, hold on! It's still not Christmas where I am yet! It's 11:59 PM! THIS STILL COUNTS AS PRE-CHRISTMAS FANART!

Spoiler

ew35KFF.jpg

And this is why procrastination is bad.

So yeah, I wanted to do a thing for Christmas. I wasn't sure what to do, so I asked for some suggestions, and someone had the absolute perfect idea of drawing Fir. Because Christmas trees! And I like Fir well enough, so I was very okay with it. I wanted to draw this like two weeks ago, but school and now family stuff got in the way, so instead I just powered through it all today whenever I had time away from family. Which means I didn't have time to make her very Christmas-themed like I wanted to, because of time issues (tree sword, covered in Christmas lights, a little star or angel on her head... I had a lot of ideas), but I guess now that means it's not exclusively a Christmas drawing, which works out well enough. And now I can work on some of the other dumb drawing ideas I've had! So, Merry Christmas everyone, or Happy Whatever-You-May-Celebrate, or just have a nice and regular December 25th (assuming you're in a similar timezone, I guess)!

6 minutes ago, Natalie said:

Happy Christmas Meap! She looks adorable~

Thanks, to both! You know I'm staying up too late when I can actually respond to you so soon at this hour. Hooray for staying up past 1:30 AM when I'm sick!

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

Instead of being sick, you should be getting not sick. Go and do exactly that! ❤

And here I thought you of all people would understand my decision to stay up late >:( Don't worry, I just got my Stamina back down to 0 in Heroes, so I'm heading to bed. I think it's just a cold anyway, so I'm not terribly concerned, but I would like to be at least somewhat well-rested for Christmas.

2 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

And here I thought you of all people would understand my decision to stay up late >:( 

Oh, I do understand it and am just teasing you. Art requires sacrifices, after all.

Get well soon!