• Ricken
    • Gaius
    • Gregor
    • Libra
    • Henry
    • Nobody

On 3/24/2018 at 10:55 PM, Anacybele said:

Same here, actually. I didn't know many other people shipped them either. xP

I'm also surprised at all the Frederick votes. People DO realize there's a huge age gap there, right? :/ I also feel that it'd be out of character for Frederick to want to marry someone he serves. He'd definitely feel that they're above his station if you ask me. I also don't see him falling in love with a child. But whatever people like...

I feel like Frederick would never be the one to initiate that relationship. But if Lissa was aggressively coming onto him and he wasn't already with somebody...I don't think he'd refuse her...

And Lissa is enough of a free spirit that I would not put it past her to make the approach. 

Frederick himself however I see being more interested in pursuing a Cherche or Sully or Cordelia--mentally focused, physically robust women who can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with him both as disciplinarians and as lovers. And who he wouldn't feel like he has to go out of his way to be extra gentle with.  

Just in comparison to other classic FE pairings--as far as the recurring "the princess and her knight" archetype goes--I find Lissa x Frederick WAY more compelling then anything going on with--say--Lyn x Kent.

There's zero chemistry behind Lyn x Kent. 

Its at the very least closer in believability to a  Seth x Eirika. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

I feel like like Frederick would never be the one to initiate that relationship. But if Lissa was aggressively coming onto him and he wasn't already with somebody...I don't think he'd refuse her...

And Lissa is enough of a free spirit that I would not put it past her to make the approach. 

Frederick himself however I see being more interested in pursuing a Cherche or Sully or Cordelia--mentally focused, physically robust women who can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with him both as disciplinarians and as lovers. And who he wouldn't feel like he has to go out of his way to be extra gentle with.  

Just in comparison to other classic FE pairings--as far as the recurring "the princess and her knight" archetype goes--I find Lissa x Frederick WAY more compelling then anything going on with--say--Lyn x Kent.

There's zero chemistry behind Lyn x Kent. 

Its at the very least closer in believability to a  Seth x Eirika. 

Yeah, that all does make sense. It's mostly just the age gap that really bothers me anyway. I actually like their support conversations (C-A anyway).

About the gentle thing, yeah, totally! Frederick is...uh...noticeably big in the manhood department. He'd hurt a lot of women no matter how gentle he tried to be, I bet. Poor guy.

On 3/24/2018 at 7:55 PM, Anacybele said:

Same here, actually. I didn't know many other people shipped them either. xP

I'm also surprised at all the Frederick votes. People DO realize there's a huge age gap there, right? :/ I also feel that it'd be out of character for Frederick to want to marry someone he serves. He'd definitely feel that they're above his station if you ask me. I also don't see him falling in love with a child. But whatever people like...

Huge age gap marriages were the norm especially in medieval settings. 

I tend to marry Lissa off after the timeskip so her age is a more reasonable 16.

9 minutes ago, ChickenWings said:

Huge age gap marriages were the norm especially in medieval settings. 

I tend to marry Lissa off after the timeskip so her age is a more reasonable 16.

Doesn't matter. These games aren't completely accurate of our medieval ages and that doesn't mean I have to think it's proper.

16 isn't more reasonable to me, honestly.

9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Doesn't matter. These games aren't completely accurate of our medieval ages and that doesn't mean I have to think it's proper.

Lissa is actually 17 years old by the timeskip. She's roughly 10 years younger than Emmeryn, meaning that she was 15 years old in the start of Awakening, and then had a two year timeskip. 

7 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Lissa is actually 17 years old by the timeskip. She's roughly 10 years younger than Emmeryn, meaning that she was 15 years old in the start of Awakening, and then had a two year timeskip. 

No, an official art showed that she's 14 pre-time skip and 16 after it. And 17 is still too young to get married imo. I think 19-20 is the youngest one should get married at, but since most lords are 18 and that's just one year younger, not much of a difference, I just let that slide. Besides, the actual weddings could've taken place after they turned 19.

Edited by Anacybele

15 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

No, an official art showed that she's 14 pre-time skip and 16 after it. And 17 is still too young to get married imo. I think 19-20 is the youngest one should get married at, but since most lords are 18 and that's just one year younger, not much of a difference, I just let that slide. Besides, the actual weddings could've taken place after they turned 19.

It's actually 14-15 years old. There wasn't an exact date or time that we are seen. But even then, 16 is a very appropriate age to get married, since in many cultures, 16 is the age that women are considered adults and of marrying age. 19-20 is more of today's society.

4 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

It's actually 14-15 years old. There wasn't an exact date or time that we are seen. But even then, 16 is a very appropriate age to get married, since in many cultures, 16 is the age that women are considered adults and of marrying age. 19-20 is more of today's society.

Yeah, exactly, today's society.

3 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

But speaking for how Fire Emblem generally takes place, today's society matters not.

Why? It makes perfect sense to project today's cultural beliefs in something one makes. If they don't contradict anything, that is. And it wouldn't here.

Edited by Anacybele

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Why? It makes perfect sense to project today's cultural beliefs in something one makes. If they don't contradict anything, that is. And it wouldn't here.

Because Fire Emblem doesn't take place in today's times. It never has. And IS literally wouldn't have to care since they can do it if they so want to.

And frankly, even today's society isn't strictly like that, since there are early marriages still. It's more frowned upon, but in the end, it does still happen. 

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

Because Fire Emblem doesn't take place in today's times. It never has. And IS literally wouldn't have to care since they can do it if they so want to.

And frankly, even today's society isn't strictly like that, since there are early marriages still. It's more frowned upon, but in the end, it does still happen. 

It doesn't take place in any of our other time periods either. It's completely a fantasy setting. Also, no matter what, I'm still allowed to be bothered by relationships with huge age gaps.

Edited by Anacybele

50 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

"Completely"....But Awakening does take some inspiration from it. 

16 is when a lot of cultures see one as an adult. Even in today's developed world societies one can do a lot at 16.

2 minutes ago, ChickenWings said:

"Completely"....But Awakening does take some inspiration from it. 

16 is when a lot of cultures see one as an adult. Even in today's developed world societies one can do a lot at 16.

Some. Not a lot, really.

And that doesn't mean a 16 year old marrying a man over ten years older than her isn't seen as disgusting by most. I believe most cultures actually see that as pedophilia. most major ones anyway.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Some. Not a lot, really.

And that doesn't mean a 16 year old marrying a man over ten years older than her isn't seen as disgusting by most. I believe most cultures actually see that as pedophilia. most major ones anyway.

Source this.

Because the last thing I want is a slapfight in this topic.

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

Source this.

Because the last thing I want is a slapfight in this topic.

I don't want that either.

But...uh, isn't this common knowledge?

It doesn't take place in any of our other time periods either. It's completely a fantasy setting. Also, no matter what, I'm still allowed to be bothered by relationships with huge age gaps.

Just now, Anacybele said:

Some. Not a lot, really.

And that doesn't mean a 16 year old marrying a man over ten years older than her isn't seen as disgusting by most. I believe most cultures actually see that as pedophilia.

That's another thing. Are we actually aware on how old Frederick actually is? Here we are assuming that he's a decade older than her. But where's the actual proof that he is older by that much? We can literally assume that Frederick is the same age as Chrom even. 

Exactly what form of dialogue in the game was made to say that Frederick is as old as you say he is? Otherwise, this is just an assumption.

I don't want that either.

But...uh, isn't this common knowledge?

No, it's not.  Especially with qualifiers like "most".

Just now, omegaxis1 said:

That's another thing. Are we actually aware on how old Frederick actually is? Here we are assuming that he's a decade older than her. But where's the actual proof that he is older by that much? We can literally assume that Frederick is the same age as Chrom even. 

Exactly what form of dialogue in the game was made to say that Frederick is as old as you say he is? Otherwise, this is just an assumption.

Frederick is a veteran knight, does not look as young as Chrom and most of the others, and refers to Henry as a "young man" in a context like Henry is a good bit younger. So yes, Frederick has to be late twenties at least.

Just now, Anacybele said:

Frederick is a veteran knight, does not look as young as Chrom and most of the others, and refers to Henry as a "young man" in a context like Henry is a good bit younger. So yes, Frederick has to be late twenties at least.

That's very subjective. If anything, Frederick looks plenty young to suggest that he could be around Chrom's age. Also, Henry is a very poor example, given that Henry has the mind of a child, and Frederick is rather formal to begin with. And frankly for that matter, we don't know Henry's age either, so he could actually be rather young as well. 

So without an exact age to be given, Frederick's age could be ranking from being 10 years older than Lissa or being only 5 years older. And I am quite sure that Mist and Boyd got married in similar gaps.

Robin because then Owain at least has a valid reason for his Sword Hand - he's half Fellblood and it's perfectly reasonable in a Fire Emblem world to assume that would mean his hand actually is driven with the urge to destroy.

Donnel. They're just so cute together, and have such similar personalities! Also, I paired Tharja with Henry, and then Owain with Noire. Those four being in-laws is kind of hilarious to me, and since Henry's kind of cuddly-protective of Noire as her dad, it's funny to imagine the dad/daughter's boyfriend convoes there. Tharja wouldn't care much, I'd imagine, as she'd have more guinea pigs to cast hexes on. Man, I could just imagine Donnel and Lissa going to visit Henry and Tharja, too, bringing a casserole and everything, while Henry and Tharja are just their usual, creepy selves. Kind of a Munsters/Adams Family vibe going on from the latter pair while Lissa and Donnel try to be polite. XD

21 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

That's very subjective. If anything, Frederick looks plenty young to suggest that he could be around Chrom's age. Also, Henry is a very poor example, given that Henry has the mind of a child, and Frederick is rather formal to begin with. And frankly for that matter, we don't know Henry's age either, so he could actually be rather young as well. 

So without an exact age to be given, Frederick's age could be ranking from being 10 years older than Lissa or being only 5 years older. And I am quite sure that Mist and Boyd got married in similar gaps.

I don't think so. Frederick looks a good several years older than Chrom imo. I think he's at least the same age as Emmeryn. But yes, it's subjective.

Boyd is definitely not the same age as Frederick though.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I don't think so. Frederick looks a good several years older than Chrom imo. I think he's at least the same age as Emmeryn. But yes, it's subjective.

Boyd is definitely not the same age as Frederick though.

This is one of the reasons I definitely enjoyed Echoes, since they do list most of everyone's age. Fun fact, Tatiana is 21 years old, and Zeke's internal data that wasn't used reveals that he's 29 in Echoes. So there's an 8 year age gap between then.