Side character ideas

TheSS

Are there any types of characters you'd like to see in the game, in terms of personality or character quirks? Or any fun ideas you'd like to see? Some characters I'd like to see in a future FE would be

• A female character who's forward and flirty (like Inigo, not like Charlotte). Probably someone roguish, like a pirate or merc.
  • A prince or princess who constantly embarrasses her noble family due to her lax way of talking and immature sense of humor.
  • A lord who rides a wyvern fighting against and evil kingdom that frequently employs pegasus knights.
Edited by TheSS

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dominatrix Berserker chicks for the win

Seriously, though, some of my ideas include:

• A Lord who wields a non-Sword weapon (preferably an Axe) and comes from a rural (possibly bandit) background
    • Honestly, more female Axe Fighters in general would be perfectly fine by me (^_^)
  • Another Navarre character who's more like Ayra
  • A main antagonist who isn't being manipulated by or cooperating with a dragon
  • Another male Dancer or at the very least another Bard (Inigo in Heroes clearly demonstrates it's possible for male Dancers to exist, so why not have more?)

These ideas are mostly based on types of unit we've barely seen, if you couldn't tell.

Hmmmmmm....

• A lord that happens to be a Camus
  • A lord akin to a mage knight
  • Why not have the protagonist be the villain and the 'villain' be the hero? At least make the story morally ambiguous, and revolve around more of a power struggle than 'undeniable good guy kills undeniable bad guy'

Personally, I'd like a protagonist to be similar to Leon or Lyon, a mage lord overshadowed by someone who is physically fit and is preferred by everyone, including their own father, to lead the kingdom. This someone doesn't necessarily have to be royal blood too... 

17 minutes ago, Gebby said:

• Why not have the protagonist be the villain and the 'villain' be the hero? At least make the story morally ambiguous, and revolve around more of a power struggle than 'undeniable good guy kills undeniable bad guy'

Also, I agree to this, kind of like Megamind? 

13 hours ago, TheSS said:

Are there any types of characters you'd like to see in the game, in terms of personality or character quirks? Or any fun ideas you'd like to see? Some characters I'd like to see in a future FE would be

• A female character who's forward and flirty like (like Inigo, not like Charlotte). Probably someone roguish, like a pirate or merc.
  • A prince or princess who constantly embarrasses her noble family due to her lax way of talking and immature sense of humor.
  • A lord who rides a wyvern fighting against and evil kingdom that frequently employs pegasus knights.

1. So... Soleil, pretty much.

2. I could see them doing that.

3. Like Minerva?

Hmm... I think I'll separate my ideas into three categories; Those I really want to see in a future game, ones were I'm half-joking, half-serious, and those I'm just throwing out there for fun. I wouldn't mind seeing any of these, though, and neither would I want them to all appear in the same game.

For a note beforehand, when I mention another character for inspiration, I'm not asking for them to be copy-paste in personality, or even for them even for them to be a direct reference. It's just to give people an idea of what I have in mind, and I known that comparisons.

So without further ado...

Ones I Seriously Want to See:

• An accurate axe user A fighter with some previous military experience and a jocular demeanor, which may or may not be a comping mechanism. (For those who have played Star Wars: Republic Commando, think Scorch)
  • A mercenary who really is in it only for the money, and with rarely, if ever, make any of the general. He/she may also betray you if the other side "pays better."
  • A mercenary with a dry yet welcoming sense of humor who has moments of great cynicism, as well as moments of beautiful idealism (Think Chris Jacobs from Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction).
  • A knight who is completely terrible at stealth, barely able to take a step without getting noticed. To compensate, he's very good at distracting foes, and is a more-or-less one man army. It would be hilarious if he had a thief as a recalling option, being so bad at stealth he's good at it (for those who want a reference, basically Mike from OutsideXbox when playing Hitman: no subtitle, or any other stealth-based game).
  • A myrmidon that is really a sword-fighting teacher, and despite his/her skill with the blade, they don't like killing or fighting.
  • A gentlemanly fencer who's chivalrous to a fault.
  • A healer who has been in a previous campaign, and has been scarred from the experience. 
  • A healer that knows martial arts and can fend for themself for the most part.
  • A laguz/tauguel/branded/whatever-the-heck-they-call-the-animal-shapeshifters-in-the-next-game who takes an interest in human culture, and is an outcast for it. They use a combination of physical weapons an their transformation skills.
  • A shapeshifter who's mechanics expand upon what Xane was capable of, such as becoming a stone giant when copying a knight, a bear/boar-like creature when copying a fighter, a drake when copying a wvyren rider, and so on and so forth. I honestly want them to get creative with the designs with this idea. (The DOS game Shadowcaster gave the inspiration for this idea.)
  • A Camus-archetype who actually betrays their nation, for once. Whether they survive afterwords, or if they join your army, is up in the air.
  • A few enemy commanders who don't have any/many a-hole traits. Not every boss will be this way of course, but it would be nice if the personalities of the enemy bosses seemed as if it wouldn't be unusual if they were part of the players army if circumstances were different. Many of the Rigelian bosses fit this template, but I wouldn't mind some more memorable examples.

Half-Joking, Half-Serious:

• James McCloud! From F-Zero! We can have a reference of a reference, with Star Fox memes and lines everywhere! On a serious note, though, I would like to see a mercenary who's already married with a child and who cares about their family deeply, and is only in their line of work to provide for them.
  • A thief/rouge and bard/dancer pair in the vein of Miguel and Tulio from The Road to El Dorado.
  • An animated armor unit. Nothing much to say here, I just think it'd be cool.
  • An undead, or partially undead unit that joins your army.
  • A boisterous porcupine laguz with a long quill beard and is in the fighter class.
  • An inventor who uses fireworks as a deadly weapon.
  • Have four bandit brothers instead of two. Bonus points if their interests and personalities are vastly different from one another.

For Fun:

• A guy (or gal. I never really cared about gender in fiction or real life) who thinks they're in a fighting game, with many of their animations showing multiple attacks for a single combat round, resulting in a combo meter appearing every now and then, and their critical animations would be heavily based on Street Fighter/Killer Instinct Ultra Combos.
  • A guy (or gal) who thinks they're in an RPG, but in one with mechanics that differ widely than the Fire Emblem norm.
  • Captain Falcon. 'nuff said.
  • An adventurer who took an actual arrow to the knee. And had to have his leg cut off due to infection. And had to walk a few miles in pain with the arrow still in his knee to find a doctor.
  • A pirate with magical capabilities who is obsessed with swords, and thus can only wield swords, several that are unique to him (with different properties so he's still well rounded and balanced). His entire spell list (if the mechanic returns) consist entirely of either enhancing the versatility and capabilities of his swords, or magic that just has swords as a cosmetic.
  • A pirate who claims to have the falchion (the legendary weapon) when he really has a normal falchion (the sword).
  • Konrad, from Battle for Wesnoth, along with Delfador, Kalenz and Li'sar.
  • Little Mac. 'nuff said.
  • Link. 'nuff.. do I really need to say it?

I've just noticed that all the suggestions in the serious list start with the letter A...

56 minutes ago, MetalAmethyst said:

1. So... Soleil, pretty much.

2. I could see them doing that.

3. Like Minerva?

1. I meant towards guys, but yeah, I guess.

3. Heh heh. Yeah. I totally forgot Minerva. I've totally played Shadow dragon. I'm a real FE fan. Totally.

• An insecure Cavalier or Pegasus Knight who is a bit of a coward, althrough not to insufferable levels like Matthis. Maybe make them have a foil of the same class who acts like an archetypical brave and confident hero.
  • An older, more rough and less bishonen earlygame Myrmidon who acts more casual, loving to drink and party.
  • A cool and serious (But not stoic) Myrm/Merc woman who leads her own mercenary crew, maybe with an eyepatch, shut up it would be cool. (I think one of the characters in FE12 was like that wasn't it?)
  • A Thief who is an escaped slave and who joins the player's army in hopes that in the future the player will help them reform their nation. Tries to be an optimist to not let their former circustances get to them.

1 hour ago, Hawkwing said:
  • A knight who is completely terrible at stealth, barely able to take a step without getting noticed. To compensate, he's very good at distracting foes, and is a more-or-less one man army. It would be hilarious if he had a thief as a recalling option, being so bad at stealth he's good at it (for those who want a reference, basically Mike from OutsideXbox when playing Hitman: no subtitle, or any other stealth-based game).
  • A myrmidon that is really a sword-fighting teacher, and despite his/her skill with the blade, they don't like killing or fighting.
  • A healer that knows martial arts and can fend for themself for the most part.
  • So essentially anti-Kellam?
  • This is interesting; I could see a Jagen-type character like this, sort of like Eyvel.  Perhaps their dislike of killing would lead to them holding back in the form of bad growths?
  • Also interesting, but since martial arts have yet to appear in Fire Emblem, I can't imagine how this would work.

Just put plenty of Warriors, Berserkers, Wyvern lords, Mercs , Axe Cavaliers and Berserkers in the game and I'll be happy. I'm getting tired of only having two axe infantry what happened to three warriors, two berserkers, a couple wyverns, and some axe infantry? And a similar thing for other units types and classes.

AXE USERS RULE! PERIOD! GIVE ME MORE OF THEM! I DEMAND IT!............Please?

14 minutes ago, SavageVolug said:

Just put plenty of Warriors, Berserkers, Wyvern lords, Mercs , Axe Cavaliers and Berserkers in the game and I'll be happy. I'm getting tired of only having two axe infantry what happened to three warriors, two berserkers, a couple wyverns, and some axe infantry? And a similar thing for other units types and classes.

I don't think we've ever gotten that many primarily Axe users in one game.  If memory serves me right, Thracia is the closest we've yet to come to Axe Emblem.

Still, I'm absolutely with you.  I hate getting only one token Fighter per generation.

Pretty please, IS?  With a cherry on top?

2 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:
  • This is interesting; I could see a Jagen-type character like this, sort of like Eyvel.  Perhaps their dislike of killing would lead to them holding back in the form of bad growths?
  • Also interesting, but since martial arts have yet to appear in Fire Emblem, I can't imagine how this would work.

The closest we ever got to martial arts were the laguz counter attacks in radiant dawn, technically. 

11 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Another Navarre character who's more like Ayra

Do you mean Arya? If so, then Arya from Eragon, or Arya from Game of Thrones?

Anyway. I would really like to see an FE character who is on the Autism Spectrum. I honestly think it could work really well, so long as the character is not a one-defining-quirk character. As someone who actually has high-functioning autism, I think it would be great to see, especially if done well. 

9 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Do you mean Arya? If so, then Arya from Eragon, or Arya from Game of Thrones?

Anyway. I would really like to see an FE character who is on the Autism Spectrum. I honestly think it could work really well, so long as the character is not a one-defining-quirk character. As someone who actually has high-functioning autism, I think it would be great to see, especially if done well. 

...Ayra from Genealogy of the Holy War???  That one unit in Heroes that everyone made a big stink over because she was on a separate banner from the other FE4 characters?

As someone who himself has Asperger's, I'm much more on the fence about IS making a mentally disabled character if they're going to follow the popular Awakening/Fates formula and make much of the characters walking quirks.

3 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:
  • Mike from outsidexbox is a living and breathing anti-Kellam. Seriously, his stealthiest kills in Hitman involved explosions, and he was excited when he actually had a score that was not zero.
  • That's an interesting approach too. I was thinking that he/she would focus more on disarming their opponents in their animations, and would be very effective at capturing their opponents, but a Jagen-type character is something that I hadn't thought of, yet makes perfect sense.
  • I imagine it as a weak attack that doesn't require a weapon and would always do a minimum of one damage if it hits. It prevents healers from being defenseless, while still not being front-line units. I have no idea how effective this idea would be in practice, though.
Edited by Hawkwing

I want a snake oil salesman as a character. Brews potions and swindles strangers out of their money by lying about their miraculous effects. Preferably as the apothecary or merchant classes if they ever return, or as a new "Chemist" support class that distributes (actually working) salve to adjacent allied units to heal them or apply buffs.

I always liked the idea of an old priest who is always mad at those darn kids for bleeding on his floor.

also, I've felt like a tsundere loli manakete would be a nice change of pace considering they have had an exclusively loli personality as of late.

2 hours ago, SavageVolug said:

to quote shouzou kaga "Axes were a mistake, like seriously, what kind of loser fights with a rock tied to the end of a stick that can't even stab, go back to the bench and warm it for the next healer we recruit, oh wait, they will still be fielded more than you because they at least keep the sword and lance users alive, what are you going to do? miss an attack that could have been a heal for a unit that could have actually killed the enemy... axes were a mistake, there is a very good reason they were not useable in gaiden"

1 hour ago, thecrimsonflash said:

to quote shouzou kaga "Axes were a mistake, like seriously, what kind of loser fights with a rock tied to the end of a stick that can't even stab, go back to the bench and warm it for the next healer we recruit, oh wait, they will still be fielded more than you because they at least keep the sword and lance users alive, what are you going to do? miss an attack that could have been a heal for a unit that could have actually killed the enemy... axes were a mistake, there is a very good reason they were not useable in gaiden"

Makes me cry every time  ;_;

Ideas:

A Runaway Sheltered Noble who wishes to experience the outside world his/her doting smothering (or maybe cruelly abusive) parents kept him/her away from. Slightly Naïve, but not totally gullible. Could learn how to become more independent at things from other units in supports and maybe on his/her own accord. Could be a Trainee like unit with really high growths with various class upgrade options like Mercenary, Mage, Cleric etc.

A Male Dancer and/or Female Bard would be nice on paper. I could see the Bard be like Leliana from Dragon Age where she has a hidden dark past behind that brightful faithful personality. The Dancer could be a Casanova/Homme Fatale who uses his dancing skills and body to seduce, manipulate, and even assassinate his targets, be they male or female, maybe even deep down wishes to end that lifestyle and settle down with one of the units in a paired ending (even with a Lord).

A Burly Manly Man Archer with an philosophical and artistic sides, or rather used to have due to life weary him down over the years, and joins along for the ride to reignite those passions. Could wind up playing the mentor role to the Shelter Noble if they ever support where he could teach the noble arts and crafts and even get into some philosophical insights on life.

Some sort of Charlotte-type character who pretends to be innocent but hides a darker side. But her darker side is that she's secretly the master of a criminal syndicate that she continues to operate after getting dragged along with your army for god-knows-what-reason. She has at least one support that is all about her and some justice-obsessed member of the army who knows her secret.  He constantly foils her plans and she shakes her fist in the air while cursing his name.

She never becomes plot relevant. There's just a mafia kingpin in your army and no one ever finds out till their A-support with her, if then.

14 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I don't think we've ever gotten that many primarily Axe users in one game.  If memory serves me right, Thracia is the closest we've yet to come to Axe Emblem.

You may be right, I was thinking of FE7 where you get 3 Fighters/Warriors and two Berserkers making a nice sum of 5 axe infantry compare that to Awakening and Fates' pitiful 2. Then in FE8 All cavaliers and knights could become Great Knights a Horseman with an Axe plus there's Ross, Garcia and Dozla which yeah FE8 is a little more stingy on the axe infantry but at least there's 3 of them plus all the great knights you can have.

22 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

...Ayra from Genealogy of the Holy War???  That one unit in Heroes that everyone made a big stink over because she was on a separate banner from the other FE4 characters?

Thanks. Never played Genealogy, and can barely remember the names of the main characters from it, let alone the side characters.

Adding to the whole deal with fixing the accuracy issue on axes. I'm fine with Berzerkers being glass cannons, but they still need to hit something. 

Anyway, a full on mage lord.

A theif character with deeply rooted regrets of the life they lead as one that joined the army to start anew.

A male Manakete. Or better yet another manakete that doesn't look too young to drink.

A mentor figure that's a grizzled, old crone that acts like everyone's salty grandma.

58 minutes ago, Altrosa said:

Adding to the whole deal with fixing the accuracy issue on axes. I'm fine with Berzerkers being glass cannons, but they still need to hit something. 

Anyway, a full on mage lord.

A theif character with deeply rooted regrets of the life they lead as one that joined the army to start anew.

A male Manakete. Or better yet another manakete that doesn't look too young to drink.

A mentor figure that's a grizzled, old crone that acts like everyone's salty grandma.

1. Mage lord, huh? That would be cool.

2. Sounds deep. I can totally see them doing that.

3. Preach to the choir.

4. An old crone that acts like everyone's salty grandma? That would be hilarious!