Stupid Things You Did As a New Player

De Geso

One thing that wasn't so much a stupid mistake, and which I made over a decade after I started playing, was misreading "Wary Fighter" in Fates as "Wavy Fighter".

When I was an actual newbie- I do not remember in the slightest what stupid things I did. But I do know I somehow and can't believe I ever made this mistake in the years since, had a painfully hard time recruiting Erk with Serra outside of Lyn Mode. She even died once shortly after the act I think and didn't reset. I was afraid she would haunt me.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE4 ( my first FE) when I didn't know how to get Ayra so I end up killing her, but I had an idea she's obtainable (the battle theme hint hint).

I was playing the jap version up to the second chapter! soloing anyone with Sigurd...and always doing the arena before bringing out my character, Also using Pre-promoted ahahaha. at least I was good with maths (I played when I was like 6-7 years old).

Blazing Sword...well I didn't care who died but I used pre-promoted a lot. Also I didn't know how to get Jaffar so I missed him, but I was amazed by the assassin lethality animation.

My first Fire Emblem game was Awakening, and boy howdy, I made PLENTY of mistakes while playing it for the first time.

- I didn't promote my units until endgame.

- I didn't recruit Donnel.

- I didn't recruit Yarne.

- I benched characters just because I didn't like them.

- I didn't bother to use Olivia.

- I didn't bother to use healers aside from Libra and the streetpass characters.

3 hours ago, Miracle-Flora said:

- I benched characters just because I didn't like them.

I still do that one hides from rocks thrown at me

When I first started out, holy crap... I think I was the WORST FE player out there (lowkey probably still am). Here are just some of my "accomplishments" from my first run of PoR:

• I didn't know there was a weapon triangle until Boyd died every chapter there was a sword-type enemy
  • I didn't know Archers could only attack at range, so I threw Shinon to the front lines and called it a day
  • Fliers are weak to bows? Marcia, you're benched!
  • Hey, Gatrie! Good to see you, buddy? Now, how do I recruit you, again? I.e. I had no idea you had to talk to him with Ike... who was already at level 20, because...
  • I overused Ike so that he reached level 20 WAY too early, so he was just walking around most of the time
  • Hey, Jill? You can take four crows at the same time at your base level, right? No? Okay...
  • How do I recruit Haar? Nothing works... Oh, he suicided on Mia, anyway.
  • Reyson can fight once he's transformed, can't he?
  • So, apparently throwing your Mage head on against a Red Dragon is not a good idea. Thanks for the heads up!
  • Three dragons and a mini boss? Ike is fine! He's got the Ragnell, he's got Aether, he's... dead. Aaaand that's a restart.

Some more mistakes while playing Awakening for the first time:

• Pair up? That would mean I have less units to work with! Also, the units in the back aren't getting EXP! No way am I going to use that!
  • So, I know from past games that Stone weapons expire really quickly and you usually get only one of them right? Why would I use Panne, if that's the case? (~ six chapters later: DAMN IT!!!)
  • Why would I use a level 1 unit when most of my other guys are close to promotion? What the hell, Olivia?
  • Hm. There's a seemingly recruitable Swordmaster sitting in the corner over there without a means to defend herself. Better send Chrom to fight all those guys down on the beach because he's got nothing better to do!
  • Mire tomes? *cocky snort* Those miss all the time anyway, right? Right? ... Hey, has anyone seen Stahl?
  • NUNSWITHAXES!!!! What do you mean, Lissa has crap for Strength? (to elaborate, Lissa got Strength screwed in my first playthrough, but I didn't pay attention and made her a War Cleric, anyway)
  • So, you have to, like, totally go through your base class twice before promoting, right? That's what those Second Seals are for? ... Wait, why are the enemies suddenly so strong? HELP!!!
  • So... apparently overusing three units results in the rest of them being too weak. The endgame is totally doable with three over levelled Manaketes, a halfway decent Great Lord and an RNG-screwed Grandmaster, right? There won't be enemies coming from all sides to pick off my weaker guys. No way the game is THAT cru--- Oh... oh. Everybody besides Nowi, Nah, Morgan, Robin and Chrom is dead. Well then...

I can relate to the majority of the posts found here. When I played Awakening (the first FE I've completed) I used to let my units rush in mindlessly. I didn't really bother about the weapons triangle until later in the game. Thank goodness I was using the casual mode for the first playthrough. Nowadays I like to play in Classic mode though since you have to put more thought into your turns.

The main thing I did wrong was look at Gamefaqs for advice on which characters to use, resulting in

• Me going out of my way to avoid using prepromotes (in Radiant Dawn, Sothe and also Volug wouldn't enter a single round of combat for example).
  • Me thinking that units like Ross and Amelia were the best units in the game in Sacred Stones.
  • Constructing a team in Radiant Dawn such that I had a user for every SS weapon in the game prior to the tower and using only those units for the entirity of the game (I wouldn't use Boyd, since I had already trained Nolan in part 1 and that sort of stuff).

When I later started using prepromotes and other strong-from-the-start units, boy did the game get easier all of a sudden.

The main things that I remember doing doing were:

1) Underestimating Aran on some of my first runs as a result I didn't use him much

2) Using the Brave Lance during Geoffrey's Charge. The enemies are so weak even bronze will do the job, nowadays I give the Brave Lance to Nephanee for Elincea's Gambit.

3) Forgetting about X weapon or item.

4) Underestimating myrmidons and Edward especially

5) Not knowing about Stefen or how to recruit him.

Well I started with FEA but because I'm a completionist, I tend to ruin games by doing too much research into it. For example despite the fact I was playing on Normal/Casual, since it was my first time playing FE, I still thought way too much into the pairings I would use to the point I lost all enjoyment in the game and put it down. I also wouldn't promote anyone until level 20 which really wasn't needed in FEA.

As I played Shadow Dragon first time, I thought at the begin Jagen is the best unit and decided that Gordin is the wrong Marth. After that I missed Bantu, killed Tiki and didn't get the Falchion.

Edited by Morswo

I feel like this one isn't me being stupid so much as FE7 pulling a trollishly dick move.

But the first time I played FE7 (i.e. the first time I played fire emblem) I was like: "Okayyyyy...I see how this game works. When you talk to an enemy with a unit they have a relationship with, you can recruit them. Obvious move is obvious. Nino has to talk to Linus so I can recruit him."

Talking to Linus with Nino--of course--not only fails to recruit him. It terminates his passive [defend the throne] AI, and makes him move out + attack anything in his movement range. Which a new player has absolutely no way of knowing until...OH GOD--WHY!? *hard restart*

I'm still counting that as a stupid thing I did as a new player. But for real--dick move FE7. Dick move. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

- It took me multiple FE games till I would actually bother using the weapon triangle

- I let Edward and Leonardo die on my first RD run thinking they weren't worth training

- When I played my first FE game, FE: A, I failed to recruit Tharja and Gaius and I only realized you could recruit characters by talking to them when I saw how popular Tharja was and how many people used her and I didn't have her in my roster.

Edited by Hekselka

I'd just move the entire army the same place I was moving the lord. And I didn't reset when someone died, resulting in only 3 or 4 units being left when I got to the port in Eirika's route. One of them was Seth, one of them was Eirika, and idk who the others were.

48 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I didn't realize that permadeath was a thing and wondered why Florina wasn't coming back in the next map.

I was very confused that Franz disappeared and never came back. I lost probably half my units back when I first played Sacred Stones on easy, but in my defense I was probably in elementary school!

19 minutes ago, Logjam said:

I was very confused that Franz disappeared and never came back. I lost probably half my units back when I first played Sacred Stones on easy, but in my defense I was probably in elementary school!

I don't have as good of an excuse, since I was 17 at the time.

21 hours ago, Miracle-Flora said:

My first Fire Emblem game was Awakening, and boy howdy, I made PLENTY of mistakes while playing it for the first time.

- I didn't promote my units until endgame.

HOW DID YOU EVEN REACH THE ENDGAME? 

I also didn't use Eirika at all, I rescued her with Seth and basically had him solo the game with a skill and speed penalty. I think I was afraid of game overs so I just didn't use her at all.