Stupid Things You Did As a New Player

De Geso

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not using pre-promotes. Any of em. Before i started FE i heard something like ''Pre-promotes are trash. Train the weaker ones and they will become Monsters'' And that's how i did my CQ first run, which was my first FE Game. Camilla, Xander and Leo barely used :'D

• 2 weeks later...

Rented Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn for Wii. Chose "Normal" Difficulty AKA Hard. Desperately worked my butt off to recruit Zihark. He died next chapter, thought "Oh well, I'll level him next chapter." Saved the game. Bye Zihark.

On the 2nd Fog of War battle for Thraccia 776 instead of staying put and using Darrin's torch I moved everyone forward to light up the area. MISTAKE! BIG MISTAKE! I had to restart the chapter due to a good amount of soldiers, knights and mages oh how I hate mages sometimes. Realizing Darrin had a torch I was like "I am an idiot. Duh, of course use Darrin's torch and stay put."

I used to not promote my units at level 20 when I first played FE7. And I kept making the mistake of not remembering units far away on the map where I couldn't see them so I would end the turn never moving them. 

Fire Emblem 7 was good for tutorials. But it did leave me with a couple points due to not having the manual.
-did not know that fliers didn't benefit from terrain bonuses until a bit later (made a lot of sense in hindsight)
-did not know I couldn't just buy a sword for Wil so he could, you know, have an attack phase.
- I changed my entire team based off the levels instead of building one team, resulting in having to have Athos solo the Fire Dragon because no one else was high enough level
Don't even ask me how that last one didn't cost me a fatality. I'm not actually sure.

Aside from the 'letting recruitable enemies get killed' stuff which we all did in one of my first attempts at playing through FE8, a bunch of friends scolded me for using Seth and promoting Franz at level 10 so I felt bad and restarted....

On reflection the ironic thing is that using Seth is fine as he is so good (I did overtrain him as I didn't realise he was promoted so kept him on par level wise with my other units) and early promoting in SS isn't a big issue as most units will only hit 20/10 in anyway in sacred stones.

• 2 weeks later...

I benched characters that weren't good-looking to me. Like Tharja, Miriel, Vaike, and Kellam lol. (I was like 12 or 13 at the time, don't hate.)

Looking back I realized they're all good-looking characters, and some of the more utilizable ones, and that's probably why I ended up losing a bunch of battles on my initial play through.

Edited by Ae†her

Most of my noob mistakes are of when I was 9 or 10 years old, iirc:

I played Fire Emblem 4 and 3 in Japanese. Bad idea.

I, like many others, also did not know that certain enemies could be recruited, so I just killed them. I also thought villages were unimportant and did not bother to save them.

I didn't know what promotion was, although the language was Japanese, which is why I was clueless about it.

In FE3, I didn't know that you had to pick units for every chapter (because of the Japanese language, yet again) , so I had to play chapter 1 only with Marth, Ogma and his three buddies.

I didn't really care about stats so I just used anyone I wanted. 

I didn't know what seizing was, so I was stuck in FE4's Prologue for quite some time.

"Hey I'll just let this green girl attack those archers nearby!" And then Erin died.

This isn't really a stupid mistake and probably unrelated, but I thought Marth, Julian, and Azel were girls.

Edited by Flee Fleet!

• Killed Gaius and Tharja the first time I played Awakening. I didn't think Gaius was recruitable, and I thought Tharja might be recruitable but she attacked me and I killed her with a counterattack so I was like "okay I guess not"
  • Didn't know about the weapon triangle until I played Lyn's story in FE7 (I still had trouble remembering it until I played Heroes where it's color-coded)
  • Not checking the enemy ranges or weapons and putting units in danger
  • Hoarding special weapons but never using them
  • Not using pair up or rescue
  • Never using pre-promotes even when it would save me a lot of frustration
  • In FE7 I didn't know sages and druids could use staves until I recruited Pent (it would have made things a lot easier if I had known)