What was your reaction to Chapter 9? (Spoilers)

Denomon

I would like to see what the general consensus is on reactions to Emmeryn's death. The first time that you played Awakening, how did you feel when she died? I had already been spoiled on her death, and it was executed poorly enough that I felt underwhelmed by it. It could have been a pivotal scene in the game, but it seemed dull and lacking in emotion.

Me as the player I didn't feel emotional about it. Partially because I think the game kills her off too early for the player to form any attachments to Emmeryn which is a shame she should be a more central individual. The other reason was I felt it was her own fault and she was in that mess due to her own stupidity maybe had they had a better explanation for how she was captured I would have been more emotional about it, but no I didn't feel anything except that I felt bad for Chrom and Lissa even though I don't particularly like those two.

Nothing, at least from what I recall. I believe that at the time I was still dazed by Philia's sudden death because of how it basically played out like a comedy sketch. I mean she just pops randomly just to immediately get killed by teleporting undead archers, followed by everyone moving on like nothing happened. This weirdness left me dumbfounded for a good while.

Things went downhill from there as the game kept trying to push Emmeryn's suicide and her character to be something that they just weren't.

Edited by BrightBow

Frankly, I kept a save of chapter 9 up until the endgame to see if there was anything I could do to save her, if only cause Lissa is absolutely distraught after that, and i kinda had a crush on her at that point. Chapter 10 on the other hand, I didn't want to fight anyone. Mustafa is best enemy commander, bar none. 

Didn't really care, story's never meant much to me in video games. It was pretty much 'oh so she's dead now, kinda wanted to use her but okay.' And then I got to use her because yay amnesia fixes everything, so that was cool.

Chapter Nine came as a surprise to me, I was shocked by the sudden radical shift in tone, but I'd say it didn't really get to me emotionally.

Chapter Ten on the other hand has the combination of an enemy you wish you didn't have to fight and the saddest music in the game which legit made me shed a tear somewhere in the middle, but mostly thanks to the music. We can debate the quality of the story all you want, but I will fight you if you say the music isn't incredible.

Awakening was my first game, so that scene hit me rather hard. The next chapter only helped to nail the point home for me, with the enemy dialogue and music (because that song is damn good).

I don't recall it too well, but the Lissa scene was good.

I will say I wasn't so critical on my first Awakening run. Academic plot criticism is justifiable, but comes later.

I think C10, which is supposed to drive the aftermath of her death home, while having good music, was a little off to me. Why? Because Anna's Paralogue popped up right after C9 and I went off to complete it. That was one was terribly placed. Imagine if SS let you go shopping in Renais after Eirika C14 (Jehanna Hall), and before Scorched Sands. Immersion ruined.

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Nothing, at least from what I recall. I believe that at the time I was still dazed by Philia's sudden death because of how it basically played out like a comedy sketch. I mean she just pops randomly just to immediately get killed by teleporting undead archers, followed by everyone moving on like nothing happened. This weirdness left me dumbfounded for a good while.

Things went downhill from there as the game kept trying to push Emmeryn's suicide and her character to be something that they just weren't.

Philia's death is kinda randomly forgotten, she never gets Spotpass Paralogue for resurrection either. And yeah, nobody questions how magical undead archers teleport in, even though it's a clear hint at something. I don't recall exactly how I felt about her death, even then I think I felt touched by it. 

There are times when loading up on tragic events like deaths can be used well to create a super tragedy, but I'm not sure if Awakening did this right.

And since I like psuedo-academic criticism, here are Emmeryn's last words before she takes the plunge:

Spoiler

Emmeryn
Plegians! I ask that you hear the truth of my words! War will win you nothing but sadness and pain, both inside your borders and out. Free yourselves from this hatred! From this cycle of pain and vengeance. Do what you must... As I will do. See now that one selfless act has the power to change the world!

Do said words actually have direct relevance to Walhart as they supposedly do later on? Walhart isn't out for selfish revenge, he might be selfishly ambitious, but he extolls himself as selflessly conquering to unite the world for good- not out of hatred. Emmeryn's whole life might be more relevant, but her last words? Not so much perhaps.

Of course, I'd need to look at Chrom's use of Emmeryn's death in dialogue later to see what he makes of it and how far it actually deviates from the statement.

Her reasoning for returning Ylisse and getting captured was this:

Spoiler

Emmeryn
I must return to the capital.

Phila
Your Grace, I cannot advise—

Emmeryn
I should never have left. If it's discovered I'm away when this news comes to light... The people could panic. Riot. More Ylisseans could needlessly die. Here, Chrom. I entrust this to you.

Also, would Gangrel, the king who likes seeing people he doesn't like suffer, actually have let Emmeryn go free? Or would he have betrayed as soon as the Fire Emblem was his? In which case, Emmeryn's only choice was death by arrows or by a step too far?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Awakening was my first Fire Emblem game and I went into it blind, so Emmeryn's suicide was pretty shocking. Her death and then playing Chapter 10 right after that was really upsetting. It wasn't so bad the second time around since I knew it was coming, but it was still a little sad.

I think having her survive in the DLC really cheapened the effect of that scene though, since I know I can just play paralogue 20 later and she'll be fine.

Chapter 10 was more impactful than Chapter 9 (sorry about the bad pun).  I kind-of saw what her fate would be when she was all the way up there, and shrugged.

So I spoiled myself before playing it so I knew, but an amazing thing with my first playthrough of awakening is that on the first playthrough is that the spoilers  I knew faded away and didn't matter as I felt everything and was so drawn into the game, I'll be honest it was a first for me and I haven't experienced it since.

3 hours ago, Zkitty8 said:

Awakening was my first Fire Emblem game and I went into it blind, so Emmeryn's suicide was pretty shocking. Her death and then playing Chapter 10 right after that was really upsetting. It wasn't so bad the second time around since I knew it was coming, but it was still a little sad.

I think having her survive in the DLC really cheapened the effect of that scene though, since I know I can just play paralogue 20 later and she'll be fine.

Well, she did suffer intense brain damage, so I personally think the sacrifice mostly remains intact. Plus, you can just not download it if you really dislike it.

1 hour ago, redtutel said:

Well, she did suffer intense brain damage, so I personally think the sacrifice mostly remains intact. Plus, you can just not download it if you really dislike it.

Honestly, I downloaded the paralogue where you recruit Emmeryn but I think I got stuck and never finished it, so I didn't know she suffered from brain damage. So, now I agree that her sacrifice is still effective, but I think it would have been more effective if she had stayed dead.

I was really caught up in the imagery of that cutscene. Like most of Awakening's cutscenes, it was totally a step up in drama compared to Tellius. Showing us Chrom and Lissa's slow motion reactions really sold it. And the drama continued directly into the next chapter between the music, the scenery, and the dialogue. That was the point where I was getting misty-eyed. I didn't cry, okay!?

Retroactively, I have my nitpicks about Emmeryn, but it's a good scene. Way more powerful than the death scene early in PoR or late in FE7.

On 29/11/2017 at 12:21 AM, Armagon said:

I was actually pretty shocked, as i went into this game spoiler-free. Then Paralouge 20 happened.

I was like that too...then of course I found that I can't even WATCH that scene without getting upset now.

I felt it at the time. The scene is executed well and despite the forced lack of choice it has a good impact imo. It helps that Chapter 10 follows after it. I was not happy to see the paralogue.

Of course I now just don't count the paralogues as canon, especially as they seem to have been thrown in after release. It's kind of like getting units for trial maps only you can get experience out of unlocking them.