Monolith Soft President wants to see Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Nintendo Switch

Armagon

Would you buy Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Switch?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Switch?

• Yes
    • No

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 releases tomorrow but there's a piece of info Xenoblade fans may be interested in hearing. Tetsuya Takahashi, the president of Monolith Soft, stated that he would like to see Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Switch.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/296698-monolith-soft-president-would-love-to-see-xenoblade-chronicles-x

Would you buy Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Switch? I would. I never got to play it on the Wii U, after all.

He said this last e3 so it wasn't really new news.

At this point unless there is an actual release I'm not considering this news worthy.

But yes Xenoblade X deserves to be respected more than what majority of the community says.  It's a beautiful video game that deserves to be played and yes I will buy another copy because I love this game so much more than the original in every way possible.

Edited by kingddd

5 minutes ago, kingddd said:

He said this last e3 so it wasn't really new news

Oh whoops. In my defense, the article that released this information came out today. Both it, and the Siliconera article it sourced. They both could've just been really late though.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Oh whoops. In my defense, the article that released this information came out today. Both it, and the Siliconera article it sourced. They both could've just been really late though.

It was.  Most people ignored what he said about Xenoblade X in general and honeslty I was kind of upset when people just resurfaced this quote and "now" peopel care about it?  Just ugh I'm kind of frustrated with this in general. 

He said he would love to look into it but that's about it.  Not much to say about it.

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/blog/2017/07/08/nintendos-tetsuya-takahashi-talks-possible-xenoblade-chronicles-x-switch-port/

Edited by kingddd

I already have it so I won't buy it again, but if they come out with a part 2 I will be really happy because the game has a rather cliffhanger ending that I would like to see resolved.

If only they offered a discount to those who bought the Wii U version. Also, I'd wish for them to keep the Wii U and Switch versions on the same servers- that way online activity wouldn't be so dead and I could fight the Global Nemesis for making the postgame grinding easier if I chose to get into it.

I'd also hope they'd add some nice extras or adjust some ingame stuff for minor improvements.

Yeah, I remembered this exact news from earlier this year, so when I saw the article in my news feed, all I thought was "yeah, we know".

Wasn't XCX handled by a separate Monolith team? I'm sure they're fleshing out their next project, and a port of X could keep fans occupied during the wait. Right now I think 2 is keeping the fans' attention just fine. I suppose it's thoughtful enough for somebody to say "Hey, I know you're eye-ing the Wii U still to play our game for it, but we're looking at porting that to the new hardware if you're willing to keep waiting".

Edited by Glennstavos

Maybe.

I do have the Wii U version but I never actually played the game properly. There were some that bothered me about the game quite a lot, like being forced to play online unless you deliberately sabotage the internet connection of your Wii U. Which was a massive pain because my connection isn't good enough for online play in an action game like this and I would rather not ruin things for people with a better connection. It probably didn't help that back then the game was kinda soured for my by those whiny jackasses who complained about the resident pedophile bait getting some of her lingerie outfits removed by the localisation (as well as the fact that those outfits existed in the first place).

So maybe this game might be worth getting back to again, especially if some of the rough edges could get ironed in the port.

Edited by BrightBow

2 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I do have the Wii U version but I never actually played the game properly. There were some that bothered me about the game quite a lot, like being forced to play online unless you deliberately sabotage the internet connection of your Wii U. Which was a massive pain because my connection isn't good enough for online play in an action game like this.

The online is totally optional for enjoying the main story. You can have a little fun on the side doing it if that is your thing, but it is mostly there for making postgame grinding easier via BLADE tickets which let you can exchange for almost any enemy dropped material in the game. I'm not quite sure if fighting the Yggralith Zero and Telethia Plume are suited for non-endgame/postgame teams.

If you don't have internet connection, you can still play the game no problem, you just won't be able to hire other players' avatars as PCs you can control, nor complete Global Nemesis battles and Squad Missions to acquire those tickets. There will also be a little message in the upper right corner of the screen saying something like  "not online", but it isn't intrusive.

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The online is totally optional for enjoying the main story. You can have a little fun on the side doing it if that is your thing, but it is mostly there for making postgame grinding easier via BLADE tickets which let you can exchange for almost any enemy dropped material in the game. I'm not quite sure if fighting the Yggralith Zero and Telethia Plume are suited for non-endgame/postgame teams.

If you don't have internet connection, you can still play the game no problem, you just won't be able to hire other players' avatars as PCs you can control, nor complete Global Nemesis battles and Squad Missions to acquire those tickets. There will also be a little message in the upper right corner of the screen saying something like  "not online", but it isn't intrusive.

I know that the game still works without a internet connection but getting that set up is a massive pain. If the console can connect to the internet, the game will connect to the internet, without asking and without the option of disconnecting afterwards. And the internet connection of the Wii U can't get disabled either. You have to either screw up the connection settings or delete the connection settings altogether.

Unless of course the made a patch that adds a proper offline mode at some point. But if they did that, this was after I stopped playing the game.

Edited by BrightBow

I don't have a Switch and I'm not sure if I'll be getting one anytime soon, but if Xenoblade X was coming to the Switch and I had the console I'd only double dip if they did something to make it worth buying again. Including, but not limited to...

• Discount for owning the game on Wii U
  • New content that improves/expands the game in a substantial way
  • Recovery of save files from the Wii U version

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

Yeah, I remembered this exact news from earlier this year, so when I saw the article in my news feed, all I thought was "yeah, we know".

Wasn't XCX handled by a separate Monolith team? I'm sure they're fleshing out their next project, and a port of X could keep fans occupied during the wait. Right now I think 2 is keeping the fans' attention just fine. I suppose it's thoughtful enough for somebody to say "Hey, I know you're eye-ing the Wii U still to play our game for it, but we're looking at porting that to the new hardware if you're willing to keep waiting".

It wasn't.  It was handled by the exact same team that worked on Xenoblade 1 and Xenoblade 2.

Xenoblade 1 took 4 years in development.  Xenoblade X took 5 years in development.  Xenoblade 2 only took 2 years.

The biggest reasoning why Xenoblade X took so long was because they were building a HD engine for the Wii U and they were having many technical problems developing for it.  Not to mention it was their first time developing a system that they could use for HD development.  This meant half of the development was creating a game engine.  Because they were able to build a fully processed game engine for Xenoblade X, they reused the same engine to develop and build Xenoblade 2.  Which is why the development went by really fast for this game.  They said Xenoblade 2 started development right after Xenoblade X was finished.

8 minutes ago, kingddd said:

It wasn't.  It was handled by the exact same team that worked on Xenoblade 1 and Xenoblade 2.

Oh, seems you're right. There is no B Team, I was probably remembering the co-development with Nintendo staff for 1 and X. I also thought the 3DS port of 1 was a B team thing, but that was outsourced.

I would absolutely double dip. Yes please. In fact, I talked about having finally jumped back in and beaten the story a while ago, and I actually just stopped playing the postgame the day before yesterday. I just couldn't put it down.

The thing is, nobody bought a Wii U. I own one, and I got to play some truly great games on it. But Nintendo have been infuriating about being able to buy replacements for such crucial things as your gamepad. Policies like this, combined with the generally cheap construction of the console, mean that in a few years, when the last Wii U dies, so will every game that you could only play on it. And even worse, there are some great games that never got a chance at success because the Wii U sold like a flaming bag of manure. One such game was Xenoblade X.

If Sony and Microsoft can get away with "remastering" half of the previous generation's releases on their new hardware, I see no reason why the likes of Bayonetta 2 and XCX couldn't get a second chance on the hot new hardware. This would also allow me a sigh of relief from a future-proofing standpoint. Monolithsoft has earned me as a customer, and I would love for the online XCX community to get a second wind. Maybe then we could finally knock out the Telethia Plume and get Yggralith Zero to appear again. :/

I'm hoping it would be a straight port. Wii U had digital ports of Wii games available for 20 dollars with no new added features (besides the Wii U's superior power making load times faster), and I thought that was a great deal for players. Especially since a lot of those Wii games you could never find out in the wild for that low of a price due to their rarity. 30 dollars for a Wii U digital game sounds reasonable to me. For XCX, they'd have to fix the UI to account for the lack of gamepad features, and that amount of work will probably spur them to say "screw it, throw on the R word, we're making this a 60 dollar product". And then they would add a sixth biome to the game world to entice people that bought it the first time. You know, since the premier complaint of XCX was "the game wasn't big enough". Ugh.

I'm glad the Switch is doing as well as it is, but the decision to not do backwards compatibility haunts my opinion of it.

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

I'm hoping it would be a straight port.

Same honestly. I don't want them to go the "Deluxe" route that other Wii U-to-Switch ports have had. Xenoblade Chronicles X has a ton of content that can easily keep the player engaged for hundreds of hours. They don't really need to add anything new. That said, some tweaks here and there. Fix the audio mixing, making the text bigger, fix the UI for the Switch, have the game actually teach you how to play (one of the most common criticisms i hear about X is that the game barely teaches you anything).

47 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

And then they would add a sixth biome to the game world to entice people that bought it the first time. You know, since the premier complaint of XCX was "the game wasn't big enough". Ugh.

I'm not sure how they could add a sixth biome. XCX will get a sequel, and invariably it will be on Mira, so they can't explore the planet in full yet. They could use it as a little way of hinting at what the sequel will entail- but the issue with this is that stories go through drafts, and I doubt the hints of the 6th region as to the next game would be in line with the final version- creating more issues than its worth. Reminding me of how Bravely Default contained a teaser trailer for Bravely Second- which ended up having some major contradictions in how Magnolia is portrayed.

I do think they could have added a little more to the remote islands, and certainly the often generic cave systems could use some expansion and reworking. Not all caves are totally generic, but they aren't so wonderful compared to everything else.

The world of XCX starts feeling pretty big. I think one of the major differences between it and plain old XC is that XC's areas are much more narrow, smaller, and you can't hop around between them willy nilly any time- you can only go where the plot tells you. XCX lets you go to Cauldros as soon as you hop out of your Lifehold Pod (or close to it at least). Some areas are off limits until the Flight Module is obtained, but the rest is yours to explore.

On the topic of the Flight Module, that changes everything. Since then you can fly right over the continents from high up and everything feels so much smaller.

An XCX vs. XC comparison, I'd say XC might have more meaningful area- in the sense the game forces you to pass through a lot more region. In pure size, XCX has XC outdone, but the open blue waters beyond the regions are filler, understandable filler, but still empty. While there is less overall diversity in XCX, like with every region in XC, there are distinct subregions. Compared to XC, these subregions are about the same size or larger, reflecting the greater sense of scale in XCX, and the subregions display about as much diversity as in XC.

On the topic of the inevitable sequel- how would they justify no returning to the five regions of the first game? Or would XCX return the old regions, revamped a little perhaps, and on top of it add say another five new ones?

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

On the topic of the inevitable sequel- how would they justify no returning to the five regions of the first game? Or would XCX return the old regions, revamped a little perhaps, and on top of it add say another five new ones?

Maybe they discover a new set of continents so they send the protagonists there. It's a long journey, so they can't really go back. If Monolith Soft really wanted to be ambitious though, they could have you explore the original five regions in the post-game. Kinda like how Gold/Silver let you explore Kanto.

I'd buy it, since I wasn't able to play it on the Wii U (I didn't own one), and I have a Switch, so it'd get a purchase for me. If they can do an "HD version" that'd be great. (if y'all think it's necessary, I haven't seen it in person to decide it).