Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War: Divine Crusade balance patch v.0.5 (update)

DiogoJorge

All right, now that Binding Blade's Vindication patch has been finished (for now anyway, I might tweak it in the future). I'm now moving to my Divine Crusade and Promoted Power Madness (Blazing Sword) projects.

This project has  the following objectives:

- balance the game (by changing movement, stats, skills and growths of characters).

- modernize stats a bit by reducing HP to the more common levels of recent FEs as well reduce weapons MT

- Possibility of changing the maps a bit (not yet sure if possible)

- Make light magic more common to use and get

- Make almost everyclass capable of doubling via pursuit, with the exception of the tankier classes (so that pursuit ring doesn't become useless)

Here's a patch for you to have a bit of a taste. It's not even remotely complete, but the prologue is pretty much fully playable. Other chapters might be as well, but I haven't touched all the enemies and allies that join, so some characters might be off.

Use the headered version of the game for this patch, which is what I tested this on.

Divine Crusade v0.5.ips

Edited by DiogoJorge

Not sure how feasible it is, but I've always liked the idea of all units being able to double but pursuit cutting down the requirements. So like with Pursuit you need one point of speed more than the enemy but without it you can still double if your speed is five or six points higher. Keeps the skill and pursuit ring as valuable but doesn't nerf everyone else to unuseable status.

If you don't make Arden stupidly overpowered compared to everyone else I will be very disappointed.

In all seriousness I like the idea. My only real issue is the reducing of might from weapons, which kinda seams unnecessary. 

Also I feel HP kinda needs to be high as in FE4, units have to survive taking on the larger groups of enemies throughout the game. This task of course isn't much of a challenge in gen two due to the absurdity of all the units, but in gen one it can be horribly tedious. I guess the lowering of weapon might could help balance this out, but I don't know. Also Accost/Charge might become less effective as part of its activation is based on having higher HP.

Edited by CatManThree

Another project? Well, if you think you can handle it, I'm all for it. There isn't enough FE4 hacking going on and the game has some serious flaws that make it harder to play.

PLEASE do something about the weapon weights! That's probably my biggest pet peeve with this game's balance, fire magic deals the same damage as wind but is SO MUCH HEAVIER. It really bothers me!

Out of curiosity, can I patch this over the Project Naga translation patch, or do I have to pick one or the other? Because I'm afraid I won't play this patch if it means I'd have to play in Japanese... 

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

Not sure how feasible it is, but I've always liked the idea of all units being able to double but pursuit cutting down the requirements. So like with Pursuit you need one point of speed more than the enemy but without it you can still double if your speed is five or six points higher. Keeps the skill and pursuit ring as valuable but doesn't nerf everyone else to unuseable status.

I have no idea how to acomplish that with the tools I have.

SullyMcGully , I already did change weights and the like. Fire tomes are now sligthly more heavy compared to other tomes but cause slightly more damage as well, you will notice right away with Azel, check his fire tome. As for the translation patch, you can use it I think. I used it by naming the translation with the same name as the game file, not by patching it directly to the file.

Edited by DiogoJorge

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, finally managed to do something and recorded it for reference:

This doesn't represent the final product. In fact, I just recently made some changes to Gerrard. I'm going to post the yet to be finished patch file in the initial post soon enough, so play knowing that it's NOT complete and thus will not hold water past the prologue which was tested.

There's obvious room for improvement, it takes a bit long to get rid of the enemies on the bridge for instance.

Edited by DiogoJorge