Would You Consider Yourself To Be A Good Person Online?

Randoman

Would you consider yourself to be a good person online? As in, do you think your behavior and attitude online is good, acceptable, and causes little to no problems to other people online you interact with?

Personally, I sure would like to think I'm a good person online, especially with all the rules I've set for myself and have been following in the past 2 years or so. I mean, I try hard to keep negativity to a minimum (especially when it comes to making negative topics myself), refrain from making any sexual/racist jokes, remarks, or anything along those lines, I avoid talking bad about real people (and even when it comes to talking about fictional characters, I try to keep the bad talk tame and short), and adhere to the "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all" to the point that I'm barely posting on SF compared to how much I posted in the past. Admittingly, I have been stern and harsh to certain people online a few times in the past 1 or 2 years, but I've only done it in cases of repeated offenses, blatantly offensive posts, and/or the online mod themself telling me to tell them off myself. I mean, if anyone really takes issue in anything I post on SF, they're more than welcome to bring it up to my attention and I will admit my fault if there is one.

(Please don't move in this into FFtF if possible. I want completely serious answers and discussion, but I don't want it to get too heated a la Serious Discussion)

I see my online self as an extension of my in-person self, which means my personal code of self-conduct (the "Stonewall Jackson" initiative (I named it when I was twelve)) applies just as much here as it does anywhere else. So that means no lying, no intentional offensiveness, and always keeping my commitments. However, my in-person self is a very flawed person, so I'm sure my online self has flaws too. However, I try to be a "good person" online and I don't feel like I've done anything particularly bad (yet).

I try to be.  I will make off the wall jokes or lightly tease, but I follow the Golden Rule and never say something that I wouldn't want to be said to me.  Whether I'm a good person is up for other people to judge.

I like to think I'm a decent person online. I can be sarcastic, but I've never tried to outright hurt or insult anyone, and I'll refrain from making jokes if I think they might be taken the wrong way. And if I ever do say something or act in some way that other people don't like, then I would very much welcome them to tell me, because I would rather be more conscious of what I say than to make anyone uncomfortable  I try to be an optimistic and friendly person offline anyway, so I don't really act any differently online, other then I guess taking more time to think about what I'm going to say. But the whole point of coming to this forum for me is to hang out with people and enjoy myself, so I'd like to help others do the same if I can!

I'd like to think so. I try to keep the same persona online as I do in real life as well, so I believe that minimizes unnecessary internet cruelty. However, I do know that one's true self is not found by analyzing yourself, but that it comes from what others believe you are, so even if I think I'm a good person, I'm not certain if I actually am.

I try to be of good behavior online- although it is only SF I'm on.

Admittedly I joined in on the toxicity when it came to Camilla in the CYL VG, which was stupid, and once in a while there might a bit of passive aggressiveness or haughtiness in my posts. I'm not perfect.

Nonetheless, I aim to be sensitive in my choice of words, maintain a sense of cool, and a relaxed and polite posture even in my argumentative posts, which I try to build up empirical evidence. And throw in a few comical posts once in a while to balance things out.

I certainly avoid bashing, trolling, being filled with hate. And make an attempt to accept the views of others and see the potential good in them.

It's saying something that one video game I've played uses emotions gathered from the Internet to mass-summon demons, anger is probably one of the most conducive for that. So let's cut down on the hate, so fewer demons enter this world. But not until I've summoned the Silky I've always wanted. :lol:

I think I'm more willing to argue online than IRL, where I'm much more likely to let a comment I disagree with slide or just exchange a glance with someone I'm sure feels the same way about it. I do not try to provoke or anger others, though - the only place where I currently do a bit of shit-talking is a thread about a strategy game MP session where that's pretty much what you're expected to do. Otherwise, I believe I'm less likely to be sarcastic or make fun of someone online, just because it's hard to read how far I can go without hurting someone online.

• 1 month later...

Well, I do often use vulgar language and have made some questionable decisions, but I don't have any reason to act like a phallus online.  Haven't gotten myself into any issue at all.

I mean, I joined the DeviantArt community to show off some of my sprites when I was 10 (don't ask why), and despite having acted childish at times, nobody really despised me. Meanwhile some kids around my age were roasted hard back then for posting weird shit.

• 5 weeks later...

Aside from in-jokes and vulgar language, I generally am a lot more approachable and a much better person online. That may be due to being able to hide my appearance and choosing what moods I browse the internet in, but that's whatever.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like I'm a lot nicer now than I used to be. I used to buy into that social justice garbage on Tumblr and Twitter. I used to complain about racism and Islamophobia and being oppressed. What helped me snap out of it was when I realised that it was making me miserable and holding me back. I learned to get away from identity politics and just live life as it was. I also learned that getting offended by things in fiction and in the news can actually be counterproductive. Once I shed these toxic ideas, I felt much happier online.

I'll hold my hands up and admit that I'm a lot more confident online than I am irl, due to not having my awful stuttering holding me back but also as I don't feel like I'm being judged for what I say because, lets be honest, I'm never going to meet anyone here irl.

That being said, I do feel like I could be nicer at times, especially when I express an unpopular opinion, because they're unpopular for a reason, but I like to think that I'm getting better - I don't get into arguments about a character I don't like anymore.

In my experience, people online are somehow friendlier and more polite than people I meet in real life. I try to be a nice guy too.

There are two online communities I associate myself with: This site and fanfiction.net. I think there's a lot of generally nice (and funny and quirky) people here on this site, and on FFN the authors I've spoken with are all kinda chill. Especially COOKIECHEESEMAN. He's one of the authors I frequently converse with, and he's a good guy.

I only give out positive reviews on FFN, although to be fair I criticize the flaws of the story. Leaving hateful reviews is foolish and should only be done if the author is doing something really wrong. (i.e. Too much violence or foul language or sexual themes.) You know what they say, don't like, don't read. (I don't use that term in my own work though.)

I also try to avoid politics as much as possible. It might be because I'm a Duterte supporter, and because our folk tend to be aggressive. Me, I'm convinced by the fact that he managed to turn one of the most dangerous cities in the Philippines back then into one of the safest now. Also, in my opinion, America is full of weird people nowadays. Enough said.

On both sites I go to, people help me with my ideas, and I try to help them in return. If anyone requests for me to beta, I'll do it for them. If anyone wants my help, then I'll be happy to oblige. Online, people actually appreciate me. Offline, not so much. I am polite when typing reviews and messages, often sharing jokes along the way.

But in the end, this is all just a facade. Here is an excerpt from a message I sent to a fellow author once:

I'm already used to people acting negative around me, it's one of the reasons why I'm so sad all the time. I'm just drowning in sorrow and insanity almost all the time. Most of my positive moments are just a mask to conceal the horrible truth.

I tend to be sad a lot, and I relate to miserable characters a lot. I like sad stories because they are relatively realistic. I let it all out through video games and writing and reading.

Please disregard this post if it seems irrelevant.

I don't. But that's mostly because my own image of myself isn't all that positive, either.
I try to be nice to everyone, make a joke here and there, but truthfully, it's pretty hard to tell. Especially if I have strong opinions about something. I can get quite... heated, to say the least.