Megaman 11 announced X1-8 re-releasing on all modern consoles

Jedi

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I can't imagine how Capcom is going to handle the X series. Are they going to upgrade each game as originally intended for the PS2 Megaman X Collection? Will they release two collections like with Megaman's? I know nothing else has been said about it, I'm just trying to speculate, especially because X6 really needs a revamp and X7 needs to be reworked entirely.

1 hour ago, Rapier said:

So, I can't imagine how Capcom is going to handle the X series. Are they going to upgrade each game as originally intended for the PS2 Megaman X Collection? Will they release two collections like with Megaman's? I know nothing else has been said about it, I'm just trying to speculate, especially because X6 really needs a revamp and X7 needs to be reworked entirely.

I imagine it'll be a full collection or just two, 1-4 for the first and 5-8 for the second.

The classic games weren't touched up at all despite quite a number of people having issues with 5,  7 and 8 (which is based on the inferior PSX version). But they do still have their fans and weren't nearly on the same level of wtf as X6 and X7 which spawned countless memes as well.

So I guess I'll just put on my pariah pants and say I actually really enjoyed X6, BS level design and all, and to this day I don't understand why people like X5. It had level design that, while not as bad as X6, was still terrible. The bosses, while initially interesting to look at in their concept art, looked flat and lifeless as sprites. It had a truly awful boss level system that was linked to its ill-conceived time mechanic, and overall it just felt like a hangover after the high-octane romp that was X4. I'm not mad at anyone for liking X5, and in fact I wish I could like it like so many others, but I can go back to X6 over and over, and I will probably play X5 once as X and once as Zero, and then avoid it until the next time Capcom cashes in on its great legacy of games from before 2004, and releases another X collection on the Nintendo Butte, or the Playstation 5.

I can firmly agree that X7 is the undisputed low point of the series, and yes that includes the two surprisingly fun Game Boy releases. Unless there's some cool unlock I can only get by completing it I'm not touching that one. I don't even play it when I do mmx marathons.

Edited by Omegaprism

21 hours ago, Jedi said:

I imagine it'll be a full collection or just two, 1-4 for the first and 5-8 for the second.

The classic games weren't touched up at all despite quite a number of people having issues with 5,  7 and 8 (which is based on the inferior PSX version). But they do still have their fans and weren't nearly on the same level of wtf as X6 and X7 which spawned countless memes as well.

That'd be ridiculous. X-X4 would be playable games, while X6 and X7 would be two huge letdowns in a collection.

I'm not being biased toward these games. X6 is widely considered to be a frustrating experience, full of level design mistakes and fake difficulty due to its rushed production. It is a game that can become better if worked on, though. X7 is... terrible in every aspect, and this is also a consensus on the fanbase.

Did they say when the next Megaman announcement would be? I really want to know more about this.

Edited by Rapier

4 minutes ago, Rapier said:

That'd be ridiculous. X-X4 would be playable games, while X6 and X7 would be two huge letdowns in a collection.

I'm not being biased toward these games. X6 is widely considered to be a frustrating experience, full of level design mistakes and fake difficulty due to its rushed production. It is a game that can become better if worked on, though. X7 is... terrible in every aspect, and this is also a consensus on the fanbase.

Did they say when the next Megaman announcement would be? I really want to know more about this.

Well i'm just going off how Legacy Collection did it. They might just do 1-8 all in one go. 

Also nope. But we got more art 

Releasing all 8 games at once makes more sense, but I really doubt Capcom would do that. I can see them releasing all Zero and/or ZX series games in a collection, but the X series has enough games to milk at least two collections for cash. I guess they'll go with your idea (but I'd prefer if they just released each game separatedly and you could buy the ones you want as DLCs. Imagine Fates, but each X game is independently the "main game" and the rest become DLCs. Depending on the price, I guess this could work?).

---

btw, since someone mentioned this before: I also liked X6. I acknowledge all of its flaws, but I've played that countless times as a kid. Meanwhile, I really dislike X5 from a gameplay standpoint, and that's inexcusable for a Megaman X game.

X5's level design is very bad imo. The time bombs from The Skiver's stage were interesting conceptually, but bullshit in application - they deal a lot of damage and it's frustrating to rush a bunch of obstacles and enemies to get to them (which is 3x worse as Zero, for obvious reasons). Squid Adler's stage had that annoying gimmick of connecting two or three whatwerethosethingsagain to open doors, which turned his stage into a slog. Duff Mcwhalen's stage had that awful mini boss pursuing the player (imo, he's worse than the 4x fight against the metallic donut miniboss from X6), who made the stage a slog to pass through.

I'm also not a big fan of X5's lack of effort in the design department. It looks like a Megaman X4 romhack, whereas X6 at least tries to be original with Zero's sprites and with the levels'. I played Grizzly Slash's stage and just saw Slash Beast's stage with a different background and color palette. I saw Dinorex's stage and just saw Magma Dragoon's stage. Squid Adler's also look a lot like Jet Stingray's on the beginning. Izzy Glow's stage LITERALLY COPIED Split Mushroom's stairs and recolored them. Effort!

It's also possible that you lose Zero permanently in the game if the RNG dislikes you (but that chance gets lower when you have all the Enigma and Shuttle upgrades). That means losing control of a character who you might've invested heart tanks and upgrades on. Good luck tackling Zero Space 1 with vanilla X.

And least importantly, the boss intro screen looks like it was made on Paint by the kids of whoever were in charge of the game's graphics department, too.

Edited by Rapier

On 12/7/2017 at 1:28 PM, Rapier said:

Releasing all 8 games at once makes more sense, but I really doubt Capcom would do that. I can see them releasing all Zero and/or ZX series games in a collection, but the X series has enough games to milk at least two collections for cash. I guess they'll go with your idea (but I'd prefer if they just released each game separatedly and you could buy the ones you want as DLCs. Imagine Fates, but each X game is independently the "main game" and the rest become DLCs. Depending on the price, I guess this could work?).

---

btw, since someone mentioned this before: I also liked X6. I acknowledge all of its flaws, but I've played that countless times as a kid. Meanwhile, I really dislike X5 from a gameplay standpoint, and that's inexcusable for a Megaman X game.

X5's level design is very bad imo. The time bombs from The Skiver's stage were interesting conceptually, but bullshit in application - they deal a lot of damage and it's frustrating to rush a bunch of obstacles and enemies to get to them (which is 3x worse as Zero, for obvious reasons). Squid Adler's stage had that annoying gimmick of connecting two or three whatwerethosethingsagain to open doors, which turned his stage into a slog. Duff Mcwhalen's stage had that awful mini boss pursuing the player (imo, he's worse than the 4x fight against the metallic donut miniboss from X6), who made the stage a slog to pass through.

I'm also not a big fan of X5's lack of effort in the design department. It looks like a Megaman X4 romhack, whereas X6 at least tries to be original with Zero's sprites and with the levels'. I played Grizzly Slash's stage and just saw Slash Beast's stage with a different background and color palette. I saw Dinorex's stage and just saw Magma Dragoon's stage. Squid Adler's also look a lot like Jet Stingray's on the beginning. Izzy Glow's stage LITERALLY COPIED Split Mushroom's stairs and recolored them. Effort!

It's also possible that you lose Zero permanently in the game if the RNG dislikes you (but that chance gets lower when you have all the Enigma and Shuttle upgrades). That means losing control of a character who you might've invested heart tanks and upgrades on. Good luck tackling Zero Space 1 with vanilla X.

And least importantly, the boss intro screen looks like it was made on Paint by the kids of whoever were in charge of the game's graphics department, too.

I will say X5 has a lot of backtracking but I still think its stage design is miles better than X6's even its weakest stage Duff Mcwhalen is still better than something like Blaze Heatnix, also if you have base X you're kinda silly for not picking X for the Fourth Armor even if you decide to use Zero mostly since well, the benefit of choosing Zero first is very very bad. Then again it should have been told to you that your first character choice determines a bonus you get for that character.

X5's main issue is that Alia stops the action every 10 seconds.

I'm definitely looking forward to this game. I am a fan of the Megaman games... sort of.

I definitely like the Megaman games, but if how much of a fan you are depends on how many of the games you played... then it is a little hard for me to say I'm a fan.

I never heard of the Megaman franchise until the Battle Network series, and, even then, I didn't play any of the games until Battle Network 5 (team Colonel by the way), and I really enjoyed it. When I heard that Battle Network 6 had come out, I rented both versions to figure out which one I liked more. But when I went to the store to buy it (Cybeast Gregar, by the way), the store had stopped selling Gameboy Advance games to make way for the DS. I later got a DS, bought and played all three Megaman Starforce games (Leo, ZerkerXSaurian, and Red Joker respectively), and I have been waiting for a new Megaman game ever since.

There was one game in the original series that I played: Megaman & Bass for the Gameboy Advance. That was a difficult game, and definitely not for beginners. To my recollection, I never actually beat that one, and I only ever got to the final level with Bass; I didn't make it very far using Megaman (though I do recall Ground Man being easier to fight using Megaman).

Personally, I was hoping for a Megaman game that would be the start of a new series, but Megaman 11 does look really cool. I definitely look forward to it.

On 12/13/2017 at 4:31 AM, UNLEASH IT said:

This is nice, but I wonder if we'll ever get a sequel to ZX: Advent. The story of that is still unfinished.

It would be nice, although I think the fandom wants to see Legends 3 much much more.

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

It would be nice, although I think the fandom wants to see Legends 3 much much more.

Honestly, I prefer ZX much, much more.

Legends is a mediocre spin-off series (the gameplay is very clunky) where the last game we received was on the PS1 era, and the only reason people speak of Legends 3 is because Inafune came with that surprise card out of nowhere, made a huge exposition of that game and got people hyped about it after a long time without new Mega Man games (that weren't 9 or 10 or other collections), then Capcom busted Inafune's surprise party and the fandom is still sore about it. Other than that, Legends is nothing much and few could even remember about it before that episode.

I'm not saying this out of spite. I liked Legends 2 and I'd be happy with a Legends 3, especially if they fix all the clunky controls of the second game, but Legends itself would be long forgotten and buried if it weren't for the Legends 3 promotion. ZX is not only a main series continuation, but also very much alike the Zero and X series on gameplay. It is the legitimate successor to the series and it's ridiculous that Capcom hasn't given it attention.

Anyway, I really hope Megaman 11 succeeds and they leave that "let's just milk the nostalgia out of our titles" phase, because it's about time they stop focusing on the classic series + collections of old games for easy 20+ bucks and move on to other stuff. I'm not even saying ZX - a X9 would be great.

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2017 at 1:28 PM, Rapier said:

https://gematsu.com/2018/02/mega-man-x-legacy-collection-mega-man-x-legacy-collection-2-rated-australia 

2 Seperate sets, can I say I called it.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

2 Seperate sets, can I say I called it.

Sounds like Capcom is being greedy. And potentially stupid, since X1-3 are typically praised, while X4 is solid, X5 depends on how you ask, X6 seems to be 60% or more dislike, X7 is 95% dislike, and X8 is kinda forgotten following the terrible X7.

Where the Collections divide will determine whether Collection 2 is ignorable, or saved by X4 and maybe X5's addition(s). Other frills like Command Mission, Maverick Hunter X, and Xtreme and Xtreme 2 might help Collection 2 were it to get them.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sounds like Capcom is being greedy. And potentially stupid, since X1-3 are typically praised, while X4 is solid, X5 depends on how you ask, X6 seems to be 60% or more dislike, X7 is 95% dislike, and X8 is kinda forgotten following the terrible X7.

Where the Collections divide will determine whether Collection 2 is ignorable, or saved by X4 and maybe X5's addition(s). Other frills like Command Mission, Maverick Hunter X, and Xtreme and Xtreme 2 might help Collection 2 were it to get them.

It's been confirmed its just the 8 main games. X8 is generally widely praised nowadays btw.

Dude, if Command Mission were thrown in to Collection 2, it'd be an instant buy for me. I know it's a just-okay game, but it feels like a marvel being able to put Zero and Axel into your party in a turn based RPG. Also, it's the farthest game in the X timeline. Gotta prep the fans for when X9 is announced alongside an HD re-release of the Zero Collection.

There is definitely a disparity in game quality when you split the eight games down the middle. I could see them throwing X4 into the second collection. 3 games versus 5 sounds unfair, but it feels right to stop at 3 since that's the last of the 16 bit games. Also I wonder if they'll go SNES version or PS1 version for X3. The soundtracks are quite different between the two.

On 15/02/2018 at 2:29 AM, Jedi said:

It's still going to be questionable at best.

Like, if we split them into 4 and 4 games, we'll have a Collection with the most praised games from the X series, then another Collection with X5, which fans usually like, but with 2 other terrible games and X8, which some fans like but it isn't as praised as the older games.

I'd find it interesting if, instead of releasing an entire collection, Capcom merely added the other games as DLCs, just like the other routes on Fates. We could have a collection as the main game, while X5 onward could be DLCs that the players who felt like buying any particular game could get without wasting bucks on questionable games.

Edited by Rapier

On 2018/2/15 at 5:47 PM, Glennstavos said:

Dude, if Command Mission were thrown in to Collection 2, it'd be an instant buy for me. I know it's a just-okay game, but it feels like a marvel being able to put Zero and Axel into your party in a turn based RPG. Also, it's the farthest game in the X timeline. Gotta prep the fans for when X9 is announced alongside an HD re-release of the Zero Collection.

Yes to Command Mission, please! I know objectively it wasn't that great, but I was in full-on MMX fanboy mode when it first released, and I loved it. Among the features I thought it really should have had was a new game plus feature. There is a bunch of cool stuff you can only get from the final boss or after you beat the game, and you never really have any use for it, because there's basically nobody and nothing to use it on. Axel's final morph and weapon, all of the super force metals, and even X and Zero's ultimate weapons (okay, ultimate other than the OP as hell turbo buster) are basically just trophy prizes to say, "You did it!" It would have been really cool to be able to blast through the game again all tricked out with your postgame equipment and powers, but eh. I also would have really liked a sequel to tie up the truckload of loose ends in the plot, and to give us more time with the new characters they introduced but you never see in any other game (except for Cinnamon, but that's mostly my distaste for all the tropes she exemplifies).

I have devoted many hours of imagining what a new X game set after Command Mission could play and be like (For example: Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams-style action RPG where you could also play as Marino and Maximo, and Cinnamon is your mobile home base feature for saving/healing/item creation), but these days I think Capcom is done with any Megaman that isn't just classic blue bomber.

We'll see if after they rerelease the X series about five more times they feel nostalgic and decide to make a single new X game that forgets about all the unanswered questions and gameplay refinements the latter games left behind and reverts to 2D SNES style game design, wherein all the other cool main characters become NPCs or just disappear with no explanation, but games media praises it for its, "Back to basics," approach, while simultaneously throwing shade at longtime fans who just wanted some closure, using such incredibly reductive phrasing as, "Was all that convoluted continuity really the reason we enjoyed these games in our youth?"

I had two or three more paragraphs of ranting about the X series' unfortunate fate inside of me, but I deleted them before posting, because It's not like I'm bitter or anything.

Honestly, trying to answer all the unanswered questions from the series would be like Capcom shooting its own foot, especially now that the madman behind it all left the team to con the crap out of fans. First, if they decide to touch the Megaman X series again with a new game that isn't just a collection pack of ports, I believe they should try to release a simpler X game, even if one that takes place between the games instead of being a direct sequel to X8 (like Xtreme happens before X3 and Xtreme 2 happens before X4), then see what they can do from there. The interview shows they didn't know what to do with the Megaman franchise and were afraid to do something improper with it, so I don't see them doing anything particularly ambitious.

I'd really like to play a ZX3, and I don't think it'd be that hard to accomplish. Inti Creates could be responsible for it, just as it was for X8, Zero and ZX series. It could accompany a rerelease of both ZX titles for the Nintendo Switch (as a collection), even. I'd prefer the game to be on PC, but if it's for the best, I'm ok with it being a Switch exclusive, as long as the other Megaman titles [hopefully] aren't and they show themselves capable of multi-platforming.

• 1 month later...

"There’s also a “Museum Mode” that comes with the “The Day of Sigma” anime, the same title of the 25-minute long OVA included in Mega Man Maverick Hunter X on PSP."

I'm a big Mega Man fan, so needless to say I'm hyped.

Also great to see a full Mega Man X collection coming out. It gives me the opportunity to recommend people play Mega Man X8, an absolutely outstanding game which is often overlooked because it came after a chain of games that put many people off the MMX series.

I know the video has already been posted, but here's its english version. By the way, the release date is 7/24.

Man, I'd love to play X8, but it'll be hard to convince me to buy the second collection. I'll still probably buy the first one as soon as it is released, though.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/capkel/blog/2018/04/10/mega-man-x-legacy-collection-1-and-2-launch-july-24th

" Both will be available beginning July 24th for just $19.99 each digitally. In North America, fans can also grab a retail bundle for consoles for $39.99 in a combo pack that includes a disc for each collection on Xbox One and PlayStation 4. For Nintendo Switch, the pack will include a cartridge with the first collection and a digital download voucher for the second collection."