Megaman 11 announced X1-8 re-releasing on all modern consoles

Jedi

I want this game to be great, or at least good enough to sell well enough for Capcpom to greenlight X9.  I don't doubt that they'll get the basic controls, gameplay style, music, and boss designs down pat (some OA has already been released and it looks great), but there are a few things I'm worried about:

-The controls.  I'm pretty sure they'll get the basic movement down; it's the more advanced stuff that has me worried.  It'd be a shame if you couldn't say....for example, slide jump in this game because the controls are too stiff.  Mega Man 8 suffered from this problem, so I'm hoping the same thing doesn't happen here.

-The level themes.  I'm not as worried about this one honestly, but I'm hoping they're creative and interesting because that's one of the main appeals of Mega Man games for me.

-The level design.  It's a lot harder to design a good Mega Man level than people give credit for, and well Capcpom hasn't done a Mega Man game in a long time.  Additionally, this time they won't have Intecreates helping them, which is unfortunate because those guys are masters at 2D level design.  It has me worried because the last time Capcom designed a Mega Man game independently has been EVEN LONGER than that.

-The inspiration.  This is what separates the more loved Mega Man games from the lesser loved ones, even though objectively the quality difference may not be as disparate as fans would have you believe.  I'm not sure what I'm expecting here, but it'd nice to have some sign of "hey, we made this game because we wanted to make a cool ass Mega Man game" and not "hey, we made this game because it was a great time to do a cynical cash grab".

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Mm, i just realized. Mega Man is known for being a challenging series. I guarantee that some game journalists will rant about how Mega Man 11 is "too hard" once Mega Man 11's release date approaches. They did it with Crash Bandicoot, they did it with Cuphead, would not surprise me if they did it with Mega Man 11.

Gaming journalism hasn't changed THAT much since the last Mega Man game, and Mega Man, despite its disappearance over the last few years, is absolutely a gaming staple.

Crash Bandicoot kept getting coverage for how difficult it was because there was a 21 year gap in between Crash 1 and the N. Sane Trilogy. That was a lot of time for journalists to forget and make obnoxious articles.

Cuphead, having Mega Man as one of its major influences, SHOULD have been predicted as being tough, but game journalists thrive on sensationalism. "Cuphead is just as tough as its influences" doesn't get the mouth breathers clicking articles like "THE DARK SOULS OF 2D PLATFORMERS" does.

With Mega Man 11, supposing it is just as hard as its predecessors, is probably going to be a lot of articles going "Mega Man is as difficult as ever". If there are game journalists who have not played Mega Man in the 30 years the franchise has been around, and start making articles "These Mega Man games are too hard." with MM11, I imagine they'll get torn apart.

Edited by Slumber

45 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Mm, i just realized. Mega Man is known for being a challenging series. I guarantee that some game journalists will rant about how Mega Man 11 is "too hard" once Mega Man 11's release date approaches. They did it with Crash Bandicoot, they did it with Cuphead, would not surprise me if they did it with Mega Man 11.

*insert Dark Souls reference here*

I don't think Mega Man 11 will be especially hard because of the screw shop giving players that avenue to finish the game. It's like when people play Zelda 2 for a half hour, die and think "welp, guess I gotta grind" when you'd sooner beat the game by retrying those temples until you win. When I was a a Mega Man noob at the time 9 came out, I beat the game by grinding. And even on replays I can't help but dump everything I've saved just before Wily castle.

43 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Crash Bandicoot kept getting coverage for how difficult it was because there was a 21 year gap in between Crash 1 and the N. Sane Trilogy. That was a lot of time for journalists to forget and make obnoxious articles.

In addition, speaking as somebody who grew up with the trilogy, 1 is easily the most difficult of these white knuckle platformers, with 3 being a cakewalk by comparison. And when you're reviewing a trilogy, you're probably gonna start with the first game. I heard they made 100% completion easier in the remake of 1 though. In the original we had to not only collect all the crates but do it all in one life, and they took out that later restriction.

Man, I think this trilogy is at the top of my reasons to get a PS4 one of these days. Just like how Rare Replay is at the top of my reasons for an Xbox One. It's starting to become clear why I haven't pulled the trigger on a non-nintendo system for so many years when all I want to do is replay games I still own.

Just now, Glennstavos said:

In addition, speaking as somebody who grew up with the trilogy, 1 is easily the most difficult of these white knuckle platformers, with 3 being a cakewalk by comparison. And when you're reviewing a trilogy, you're probably gonna start with the first game. I heard they made 100% completion easier in the remake of 1 though. In the original we had to not only collect all the crates but do it all in one life, and they took out that later restriction.

The Crash 1 stuff is weird.

As faithfully as they tried to recreate the game while making certain unreasonable things(Getting 100% and the gems) much easier, the jump animations are slightly off. Or, more specifically, the landing animations are slightly off. It is far easier to slip off platforms in Crash 1 than it was in the original. It's not as apparent in the beginning where the game doesn't ask you to make precise jumps, but later on you notice it more. It's especially noticeable in Road to Nowhere and The High Road if you try to cheese and run the ropes. You could do this pretty reliably on the PS1 version. Not quite on the N. Sane version, because Crash will slip all over the place, seemingly randomly.

9 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The Crash 1 stuff is weird.

As faithfully as they tried to recreate the game while making certain unreasonable things(Getting 100% and the gems) much easier, the jump animations are slightly off. Or, more specifically, the landing animations are slightly off. It is far easier to slip off platforms in Crash 1 than it was in the original. It's not as apparent in the beginning where the game doesn't ask you to make precise jumps, but later on you notice it more. It's especially noticeable in Road to Nowhere and The High Road if you try to cheese and run the ropes. You could do this pretty reliably on the PS1 version. Not quite on the N. Sane version, because Crash will slip all over the place, seemingly randomly.

I've heard people talk about that sort of thing with the remake, but since I don't own the remake, I can't substantiate those claims, it's definitely the sort of thing I'd notice or test if I could. When I heard how faithful the remakes were I was also concerned about input delay. I find it hard to believe that the developers would fail to account for it, but the fact is the original was designed to be run on CRT displays with only about half the input delay that we deal with on HD games. This is also the reason why NES games on Modern, HD nintendo systems can be considerably harder than on the original hardware, our TVs have changed. Heck, the Mike Tyson fight on NES Punch Out is nearly impossible outside of NES on a CRT display, and that is game 100% about pattern recognition and reaction timing. Crash isn't that dependent on reaction timing, but it would definitely explain why the game feels "more responsive" on its original format.

12 hours ago, Jedi said:

Graphics mean literally nothing.

And I am fine with that as I play games where graphics are bad but have solid gameplay( just look at X/Y for example) But there are a lot who give a damn about it because game prices aren't always a joke and in the end, a game is just trying to look good to appeal to the ones who are into this kind of stuff.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Do we even need reviewers these days? People will always buy crap even when there are warnings of such games that are crap. People will support microtransactions even if others boycott such actions. Nothing is going to stop me or you to getting a game we want to play unless we are cautious of our cash being spent for nothing.

That being said, I hope that 11 when released on Steam isn't going to end up being another DRM bug that Capcom purposefully did to Legacy Collection 2 as I never bothered playing it as soon as I beated 7 in it.

21 hours ago, Jedi said:

Sonic Forces hype wasn't until the middle of its marketing, seem to forget Sonic Mania was a massive success.

For another thing, Mighty #9 never looked promising to begin with. This project has far more passion behind it already.

13 hours ago, Harvey said:

There's a big difference between Mighty No 9 and Sonic forces. The former was under questionable development as soon as Comcept announced another kickstarter game while it was underdevelopment. The way the game was delayed over and over again left fans lose hope for it and eventually, it ended up being what it is now.

As for forces, a lot were very cautious about it and the reason Forces ended up for what it is now is because it was being developed by a different team who did NOT make Colors or Generations so SEGA made a false word about that statement. Had it been developed by the real team, it would have done well.

Mega Man 11 is being developed by Capcom who unlike SEGA has atleast made consistently good games and decisions although a lot of them are still questionable such as 11 being announced very...very late, an IP that is Capcom's flagship franchise.

That being said, I agree with you that all can be done right now is to be optimistically cautious because from the looks of it, the game looks kinda bad graphically.

I know there a differences, and the that the games already look good, but recently it seems that a lot of games that were overhyped as “revivals” ended up being either disappointing or mediocre, maybe because of the hype itself. Which is why I being cautiously optimistic. And considering what happened with Street Fighter V, I’m not sure well will get a complete game at first, especially if the Capcom higher ups get greedy.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Do we even need reviewers these days?

There's this myth that we don't need reviewers. We do. But what we need are credible ones. A review from Polygon or Kotaku means literally nothing since these guys just don't know what they are talking about. Meanwhile, i'm more likely to trust a review from GameXplain since, despite focusing mostly on Nintendo, they are clearly passionate about the games they review and don't just review for the sake of reviewing.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

There's this myth that we don't need reviewers. We do. But what we need are credible ones. A review from Polygon or Kotaku means literally nothing since these guys just don't know what they are talking about. Meanwhile, i'm more likely to trust a review from GameXplain since, despite focusing mostly on Nintendo, they are clearly passionate about the games they review and don't just review for the sake of reviewing.

GameXplain is heavily biased towards Zelda however, so anything compared to them they will be unfairly against, see FE:Warriors. Where they compared the roster to the end of HW's DLC roster and said the gameplay was overall better despite several issues that FE:W fixed.

Edited by Jedi

43 minutes ago, Jedi said:

GameXplain is heavily biased towards Zelda however, so anything compared to them they will be unfairly against, see FE:Warriors. Where they compared the roster to the end of HW's DLC roster and said the gameplay was overall better despite several issues that FE:W fixed.

While i do agree that FE Warriors was judged a bit unfairly (i say a bit because it's not like they gave it a bad score) I wouldn't say GameXplain is heavily biased towards Zelda, considering Derrick stated that Xenoblade 2 is his favorite game of 2017 and Andre gave Odyssey a "Mind-blowing" (which is basically a 10/10) whereas Breath of the Wild was given a "Liked-a-lot" (so a 7/10-8/10). And i guarantee Ash is more biased towards Mega Man than he is towards Zelda.

I'm not saying GameXplain is the best game journalist out there but i find them way easier to trust compared to Polygon, Kotaku, or even IGN or Gamespot. 

This discussion is better saved for a thread dedicated to it though.

Edited by Armagon

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

While i do agree that FE Warriors was judged a bit unfairly (i say a bit because it's not like they gave it a bad score) I wouldn't say GameXplain is heavily biased towards Zelda, considering Derrick stated that Xenoblade 2 is his favorite game of 2017 and Andre gave Odyssey a "Mind-blowing" (which is basically a 10/10) whereas Breath of the Wild was given a "Liked-a-lot" (so a 7/10-8/10). And i guarantee Ash is more biased towards Mega Man than he is towards Zelda.

I'm not saying GameXplain is the best game journalist out there but i find them way easier to trust compared to Polygon, Kotaku, or even IGN or Gamespot. 

This discussion is better saved for a thread dedicated to it though.

Fair assessments, I've just been rather disillusioned with them as of the past half year. 

Anyways, cool thing with Megaman 11 here is that its taking some inspiration from Battle Network in that the powers give Megaman different suits and I like that despite not having all that much experience with Battle Network. 

5 hours ago, Refa said:

I want this game to be great, or at least good enough to sell well enough for Capcpom to greenlight X9.  I don't doubt that they'll get the basic controls, gameplay style, music, and boss designs down pat (some OA has already been released and it looks great), but there are a few things I'm worried about:

-The controls.  I'm pretty sure they'll get the basic movement down; it's the more advanced stuff that has me worried.  It'd be a shame if you couldn't say....for example, slide jump in this game because the controls are too stiff.  Mega Man 8 suffered from this problem, so I'm hoping the same thing doesn't happen here.

-The level themes.  I'm not as worried about this one honestly, but I'm hoping they're creative and interesting because that's one of the main appeals of Mega Man games for me.

-The level design.  It's a lot harder to design a good Mega Man level than people give credit for, and well Capcpom hasn't done a Mega Man game in a long time.  Additionally, this time they won't have Intecreates helping them, which is unfortunate because those guys are masters at 2D level design.  It has me worried because the last time Capcom designed a Mega Man game independently has been EVEN LONGER than that.

-The inspiration.  This is what separates the more loved Mega Man games from the lesser loved ones, even though objectively the quality difference may not be as disparate as fans would have you believe.  I'm not sure what I'm expecting here, but it'd nice to have some sign of "hey, we made this game because we wanted to make a cool ass Mega Man game" and not "hey, we made this game because it was a great time to do a cynical cash grab".

At least I don't think you have to worry about them getting the physics entirely wrong like what happened with Sonic 4 Episode 1 back when that came out. 

I agree with your assessments since you're like the biggest fan of Megaman I personally know besides @Batter the Beast we'll have to wait and see what happens. 

I'm so unbelievably excited for MM11! I just lost my mind watching the stream during class! (Not vocally of course)

And I'm super happy about of MM and MMX making it's way to the Switch! I can finally experience these beautiful pieces of work that I've watched countless times. My first and only Megaman had been Star Force, but that's going to change next year. I'm so so SO DAMN EXCITED FOR ALL OF THIS!

MM11 looks really pretty, and they've got one of my favorite artists on board so I'm satisfied with the style they're using. (Fingers crossed they release an artbook after) 

Well then, another series is coming back from near death (first metroid, then valkyria chronicles, now mega-man) and I'm happy that 11 and the x series are coming to switch. Now the problem is I have to get good at mega--man, as last time I touched my legacy collection I was absolute garbage and couldn't beat any levels except 1 and couldn't defeat that boss (to be fair though I've never been a platformer guy). I know the X series is a bit more lenient then normal mega-man but I still get the feeling it will hand me my own butt. Hopefully I can find a copy of zx so I can hopefully get good at that.

3 minutes ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Well then, another series is coming back from near death (first metroid, then valkyria chronicles, now mega-man) and I'm happy that 11 and the x series are coming to switch. Now the problem is I have to get good at mega--man, as last time I touched my legacy collection I was absolute garbage and couldn't beat any levels except 1 and couldn't defeat that boss (to be fair though I've never been a platformer guy). I know the X series is a bit more lenient then normal mega-man but I still get the feeling it will hand me my own butt. Hopefully I can find a copy of zx so I can hopefully get good at that.

Classic series is more about learning stages and platforming, X is a lot more about reaction and speed, so it can be rough for people as well.

Just now, Jedi said:

Classic series is more about learning stages and platforming, X is a lot more about reaction and speed, so it can be rough for people as well.

I'd get the feeling I'd be better at the reaction and speed ones, but I'm going to try both to at least show my respect for this series

Well, I guess now is the time to properly get into Mega Man. His new design seems to be a more realistically proportioned version of his Smash 4 design, which is pretty cool.

7 minutes ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Well then, another series is coming back from near death (first metroid, then valkyria chronicles, now mega-man)

You forgot Bubsy

40 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I agree with your assessments since you're like the biggest fan of Megaman I personally know besides @Batter the Beast we'll have to wait and see what happens. 

Nah fam, I'm definitely a better fan than Batter.  He hasn't even played most of the Battle Network games!

7 minutes ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

I'd get the feeling I'd be better at the reaction and speed ones, but I'm going to try both to at least show my respect for this series

I'd recommend starting w/MM5/8 for the classic series and X1/2/4 for the X series, as those are some of the easier games respectively in both series.

2 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Well, I guess now is the time to properly get into Mega Man. His new design seems to be a more realistically proportioned version of his Smash 4 design, which is pretty cool.

You forgot Bubsy

I'm sorry who? Isn't it that platformer cat. Okay let's change this to MAJOR video games franchises coming back from near death

Just now, Refa said:

Nah fam, I'm definitely a better fan than Batter.  He hasn't even played most of the Battle Network games!

I'd recommend starting w/MM5/8 for the classic series and X1/2/4 for the X series, as those are some of the easier games respectively in both series.

5 it is since it's the only one I have on the legacy collection, I planned on getting ZX for my start into the X series otherwise it'll be through the X legacy collection

ZX can be pretty challenging and confusing*, so I'd probably recommend holding off on it until you get some experience with the other games.  Of course, if you do opt to play it, it's a really good game regardless, you just might need some external help to finish it.

*The game itself isn't confusing but it has one of the worst maps I've ever seen in a Metroidvania ever

And one of the worst mission systems ever. "You found the level entrance? Congrats! Now go back to the next save point to activate the right mission and then come back here." I would really like to know what this system was supposed to add to the game.

Personally I find it rather hard to justify playing ZX. Sure, the level design is as good as ever... but Megaman games are rather short and can easily be beaten in an hour or two. So in a game like ZX that is just like a good Megaman game but with a lot of bullshit inbetween, you end up with a game that has a terrible fun to bullshit ratio. And why bother with that when there are so many Megaman games where you can go directly from one fun level to the next?

The good news is that the sequel ZX Advent fixed pretty much all of this. There is no such nonsense as "activating missions" and all level entrances are open at all times. It also has a proper map.

Edited by BrightBow

1 hour ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

I'm sorry who? Isn't it that platformer cat. Okay let's change this to MAJOR video games franchises coming back from near death

Shenmue 3, baby. It's still happening! 

Plus I'd count Marvel vs Capcom as a big revival game. Regardless of its quality, a lot of us were convinced (rather pessimistically, I'll admit) 3 would be the last one after the Marvel/Disney deal. 

I don't recommend newcomers to start with Zero or ZX. Those are very hard games from the Megaman franchise and they might be disencouraging for new players.

Also, as it was said before, Megaman plays very differently from Megaman X (whereas the rest of the series bar spinoffs play similarly to the X series). It's more about platforming and precise jumping than X's speed, coordination and maneuvers.

As for which Megaman to start, I... just recommend not going with 1, because it has bs level design, and avoiding 9 and 10 until you have a grasp on the series because they're hard.

As for the X series, I recommend X4. I think it blends difficulty and being newcommer friendly well. But really, any game will do, except X6 (bs level design and rushed production made it one of the worst games), X7 (it's terrible, avoid it) and X8 (it's hard).

13 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Shenmue 3, baby. It's still happening! 

Plus I'd count Marvel vs Capcom as a big revival game. Regardless of its quality, a lot of us were convinced (rather pessimistically, I'll admit) 3 would be the last one after the Marvel/Disney deal. 

Forgot about Shenmue since I have never played it (I know, I'm a disgrace to humanity, it just never interested me and I first heard of it in PXZ2)  I'll be honest I've never played any of the MxC games but I thought most didn't like infinite, besides of what I've seen 3 is the best. (Okay before I get called out on my lack of game knowledge, it's true, I basically spent 10ish years of my gaming life playing exclusively pokemon, it's only been the past 3-4 years where I've branched out to other games, I'm glad I did though, got to know some of my favorite series, Fire Emblem, Zelda, Valkyria, God Eater, and the Namco X Capcom series being major ones)

58 minutes ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Forgot about Shenmue since I have never played it (I know, I'm a disgrace to humanity, it just never interested me and I first heard of it in PXZ2) 

Few people have, I certainly haven't, only experiencing it through a let's play five years ago. If I bought a Dreamcast it would only be to play that game, and I guess Sonic Adventure since I know that's the most common dreamcast game and would probably be sold by somebody dirt cheap. And it's also a delightfully buggier version than on Gamecube. What makes Shenmue so worth continuing is because of the context in which it was released. Games weren't produced with such high budgets and with stories meant to span multiple entries. Fans need that closure, how does the story end? Shenmue deserves a greater legacy than popularizing Quick Time Events and maybe inspiring the time mechanic of Majora's Mask.

So, another aspect of the MM11 announcement that surprises me is that it's still a Capcom developed game. I always guessed that if another game were happening, they'd just outsource it to Inti Creates like with 9 and 10. Or Comcept if the Mighty No. 9 project didn't flop.

Edited by Glennstavos