The biggest issue w/ 14

Kazuya

My biggest and most despised aspect of 14 is how it is blatantly bad. I know, 14 hate is so overdone or whatever but really it needs to be said. 14 has an identity issue due to 13 and that hampers the game. Nintendo forced IS to make a follow up even though they shouldn't have. With split teams with different ideals and beliefs, a poor editing staff for the plot, and many more issues 14 was set for a failure, not commercially but as a game. As a follow up to 13, it had to do everything 13 did; child units, marriage, anything pandering to "anime" fans and "casual" audiences. 14 is a failure as a game, in game design, as an FE title, and as a major game. But how does that mean blatantly bad? It's all in the presentation, the game was presented as "Choices" but in reality it wasn't about choices or different routes, it was milking money and hiding it's flaws, which are obvious more and more as time goes on. That may not make the best of sense, but the game blatantly split itself, when we all know it should just be one title. While yes, Rev does exist, that doesn't mean there are actual choices and so on, it's cash grabbing, separating the major "choices" in game and making them only obtainable through paying more for something of either worse or equally bad content. Sorry if you read this trainwreck. 

1 hour ago, Knight Adam said:

You do realize that FE has always been a casual game with the medieval anime setting?

I agree with you. That's always a complaint I never fully understood, because FE has always had an anime art style, and often times a particular art style was similar to a popular art style at the time. (3/4 + Kozaki games in particular)

This topic has seriously been done to death... over and over and over and over again.  It isn't even beating a dead horse anymore; it's beating a horse that was resuscitated back to life and killed off a few times before.

We know what its issues are.  A certain user on here whose name rhymes with rain was very well know for specifically picking apart everything wrong with FE Fates, and I think even he alone did enough tearing apart of the game for a lifetime.

What I'm trying to say is... there's no point to this thread.

3 hours ago, Kazuya said:

I know, 14 hate is so overdone or whatever but really it needs to be said.

And you recognizing that it's been done to death doesn't make it any less pointless.

If it "needed to be said", then it's already been said by at least a dozen other people.  Adding your voice to the hatred of a game that's almost two years old now (or two and a half if you consider Japan's release) really isn't doing much.  You're just reopening old wounds and grudges... assuming this thread starts trending on the site, which it very likely won't because activity on the board is very light.

There's as much point to this as the one review I made of Resident Evil Outbreak on GameFAQs back in, like, 2012 or whatever (eight years after the game was released, fyi).  If you're trying to make a groundbreaking argument to convince people of a point, then you're preaching to an empty church... or a church filled with heretics; what I'm trying to say is the little bit of activity this board receives nowadays tends to be people who still play the game, so if they haven't been convinced that the game is good or bad, they won't be convinced now, and no one else is listening.  If it's just venting frustration, then you'd be better off doing it in FftF.

3 hours ago, Kazuya said:

Nintendo forced IS to make a follow up even though they shouldn't have.

What is your source on this?

extremely doubt IS was forced to do anything apart from maybe the path split, and even that's doubtful.  It's just like all the folks who would try to argue that the roster of FE Warriors was Nintendo forcing KT to use only the popular characters.  As if game development with Nintendo is this hostile environment where they probably have greyscale posters of Miyamoto with "OBEY" written on them in bold font.

3 hours ago, Knight Adam said:

You do realize that FE has always been a casual game with the medieval anime setting?

I... guess FE is casual in the sense that there's no action and there's no competitive multiplayer for the most part.  I've always defined a "casual game" as a game you don't have to own a dedicated console for (which in FE's case has only happened very recently), but I see what you mean here.

Agree on the anime bit, though.  Even the GBA games and Tellius games were styled after anime.  I really don't understand why folks try to say "it's anime garbage" when referring to the recent games...  It's all technically "anime garbage".  Except I personally wouldn't call any of it garbage.  Not even FE Fates, in spite of my gripes with the game.

6 hours ago, Kazuya said:

My biggest and most despised aspect of 14 is how it is blatantly bad.

Stopped reading here.

23 minutes ago, joshcja said:

Olook... another fates hate thread.

Time to go play conquest again~

Same.

20 hours ago, Knight Adam said:

I would agree with that but it wasn't always casual, granted it's not Shining Force or Disgaea, but it isn't casual.