Unit Ideas for a Focus on Radiant Dawn (Fan-Made)

KoolioKenneth

Introduction - Radiant Dawn is one of my all-time favorite games in the Fire Emblem series, and it pains me to see that it has not received any sort of representation in Heroes. As such, I came up with my own ideas for what units would be included in a Radiant Dawn-themed banner, Grand Hero Battle, and Tempest Trial. I am open to responses, so please tell me what you think! - KoolioKenneth

Summoning Focus - Liberation of Dawn banner (Red Focus: Pelleas, Blue Focus: Micaiah, Green Focus: Kurthnaga, Colorless Focus: Sothe)
Grand Hero Battle - Mad King Ashnard (Reward: Ashnard)
Tempest Trial - War-Torn Tellius (Reward: Sephiran)

Micaiah - “Priestess of Dawn”
Blurb - “Founder of the Dawn Brigade, once known as the Silver-Haired Maiden. Quiet and serene, she does not express herself well, but loves her friends and country with all her heart.”

Summary - Blue tome infantry appearing in the Liberation of Dawn Summoning Focus.

HP - 36
ATK - 32
SPD - 32
DEF - 14
RES - 36
Total BST - 150

Weapon - Rexaura: Blue tome. 14 Mt. DEF +3. Comes with Breath of Life. Grants adjacent allies RES +6 at start of Player Phase.
Assist - Branded Sacrifice: Lose 10 HP, but fully heal any injured ally. Micaiah CAN die from this.
Special -
A-slot -
B-slot - Renewal
C-slot - SPD/RES Ploy

Desired VA - Erika Harlacher

Explanation - Micaiah is obviously the highlight unit of the banner, but I admittedly had a bit of trouble designing her. The most difficult part of Micaiah’s potential as a unit in Heroes is whether or not she would be made into a mage unit (like Celica) or be made into a staff unit to highlight the recent buffs that staves got in the latest update. I decided to go with Blue tome so that she wouldn’t share colorless with Sothe in the banner, saving the staff for Sephiran. She wields RD’s most powerful Light Magic, Rexaura (a member of the Aura family) which serves to bridge the gap between Linde and Delthea’s weapons. Micaiah is made with her RD playstyle in mind, working off of her high ATK and SPD alongside extremely low physical frailty. However, I intentionally made her ATK and SPD not quite high enough to be classed alongside other glass cannon blue mages like Linde, Delthea, and Lute, instead relying on her unique C-skill, SPD/RES Ploy, to get her the stat margin she needs. Her other unique skill is her Assist, Branded Sacrifice. It serves as a reference to what made Micaiah so special at the start of RD, in which she could offer her own HP to another party member. This version of the skill is much more powerful, allowing her to run as a healer very well...almost too well. The skill is risky, since it does not have an overflow cap, and will kill Micaiah if the player overuses it. The player must be patient and rely on Renewal to keep her alive.
Alternate Weapon - Thani: Staff. 16 Mt. Comes with Wrathful Staff. Ignores bonuses on cavalry/armored units.

Sothe - “Daein’s Liberator”
Blurb - “A member of the Dawn Brigade who was raised in the slums of Daein by Micaiah. After fighting alongside Ike in the Mad King’s War, he swore to protect Micaiah at all costs.”

Summary - Dagger infantry appearing in the Liberation of Dawn Summoning Focus.

HP - 36
ATK - 36
SPD - 38
DEF - 20
RES - 20
Total BST - 150

Weapon - Baselard: Dagger. 10 Mt. SPD -2. Strike twice when attacking. Inflict DEF/RES -7.
Assist - Swap
Special - Whisper: Cooldown count: 4. If unit’s DMG - foe’s HP > 1, automatically leaves one HP remaining.
A-slot - Swift Sparrow
B-slot - Brigade’s Bearing: Grants Hardy Bearing to this unit and any adjacent ally.
C-slot -
Desired VA - Kenneth B. Foster

Explanation - Sothe effectively serves as Heroes’ first ever wielder of a brave dagger, taking the form of the insanely powerful Baselard weapon from RD. His existence is meant to beat out units like Brave Lyn and Bridelia with the highest offensive BST in the game and restore the overall strength of dagger units. His unique special, Whisper, is taken right out of Radiant Dawn, making it great at whittling down tanky units like Arden. His other unique skill is a B-slot support skill that allows him to forego Desperation and Vantage in exchange for nullifying it against his enemies. When positioned properly, Sothe can be a great support unit in addition to offense.

Kurthnaga - “Scion of Dragons”
Blurb - “The kind-hearted son of Dheginsea, King of the Dragon nation of Goldoa. He left his home to discover the whereabouts of his lost siblings, eventually joining Micaiah.”

Summary - Green dragonstone infantry appearing in the Liberation of Dawn Summoning Focus.

HP - 44
ATK - 30
SPD - 20
DEF - 35
RES - 35
Total BST - 164

Weapon - Dark Breath: Green Dragonstone. Grants Close DEF
Assist -
Special - Dragon Fang
A-slot - Fury
B-slot -
C-slot - Hone Dragons

Desired VA - Robbie Daymond

Explanation - Kurthnaga serves as the first green dragon unit to enter the game since launch, joining Fae as the only ones in the whole game. His statline grants him the title of highest defensive BST, barely beating out Sheena. When compounded with his weapon, he becomes the ultimate wall to both physical attacks and magic. He also comes with Hone Dragons to accompany Ninian’s Fortify Dragons, completing the set.

Pelleas - “Orphaned Prince”
Blurb - “The heir-apparent to the throne of Daein on the grounds of being Ashnard’s long-lost son. Timid and gentle, he often feels conflicted about running his country.”

Summary - Red tome infantry appearing in the Liberation of Dawn Summoning Focus.

HP - 40
ATK - 30
SPD - 36
DEF - 24
RES - 20
Total BST - 150

Weapon - Balberith: Red tome. Mt 14. ATK +3. Grants weapon triangle advantage VS colorless.
Assist -
Special - Flare: Cooldown count: 4. Reduces enemy RES by 80% and heals half damage.
A-slot - Triangle Adept
B-slot - Bowbreaker
C-slot -

Desired VA - Chris Hackney

Explanation - Pelleas is one of the most pivotal characters of Micaiah’s story in RD, serving as the symbol of hope for Daein’s people in such a dark time. But in this game, he is here as a red unit for the banner and adds a new niche. At 36 SPD, he is the fastest Red tome user in exchange for middling ATK. However, this is fixed by his weapon, Balberith. Once owned by his former master Izuka, this dark magic tome granted ATK +3 to the wielder’s stats in RD, and similarly does so here. It works similarly to a raven-tome, and comes alongside TA and Bowbreaker, which makes him fantastic for dealing with offensive bow units like Brave Lyn. His final asset comes in the form of his unique skill Flare, which works like Aether as a single hit. Just be careful with using him, as he has rather low DEF and RES, which leaves him vulnerable to overly offensive units. In summary, he is basically a faster, less tank version of Henry.

Ashnard - “The Mad King”
Blurb - “The tyrant king of Daein who waged all-out war against Crimea and was defeated by Ike. Maniacal, manipulative, and cruel, he believes that strength rules over all.”

Summary - Sword flier appearing in the Mad King Ashnard Grand Hero Battle.

HP - 54
ATK - 36
SPD - 18
DEF - 36
RES - 18
Total BST - 162

Weapon - Gurgurant: Sword. Mt 16. Special count -1. Nullifies “effective against” bonuses.
Assist - Harsh Command
Special - Stun: Cooldown count: 4. Identical to Ignis, and inflicts Gravity on the opponent.
A-slot - Daein’s Rampage: Grants Quickened Pulse and DMG +10 when special triggers.
B-slot - Wrath
C-slot - Flier Formation

Desired VA - Darin DePaul

Explanation - Ashnard fills in the role with a sword that Valter and Michalis did with lance and axe: a violent military leader on a wyvern with a love of combat and conquest. In this vein, Ashnard stands out as a sword-wielder by being built similarly to units like Mia and Ayra who get great benefit out of their specials. This is due to his weapon and unique A-slot skill, which can be deadly when used in tandem. Being a GHB unit, I gave him a skill in every slot to help those who want him for SI.

Sephiran - “Begnion’s Minister”

Blurb - “The generous and popular Minister of Begnion’s Senate who serves as Sanaki’s consort and mentor. His sudden disappearance threw Begnion into disarray.”

Summary - Staff infantry appearing as a reward in the War-Torn Tellius Tempest Trial.

HP - 40
ATK - 32
SPD - 22
DEF - 16
RES - 40
Total BST - 150

Weapon - Creiddylad: Staff. Mt. 16. Comes with Wrathful Staff, and allows for the equipping of staff-restricted skills. When attacking, inflicts RES -3 on enemies adjacent to the target.
Assist - Goddess Staff: Heals 15 HP to a single ally, and 5 HP to all other allies and self.
Special - Corona: Cooldown count: 3. Reduces enemy RES by 80%. Faster version of Glacies.
A-slot - Warding Stance
B-slot -
C-slot - ATK Ploy

Desired VA - Johnny Yong Bosch

Explanation - Sephiran joins Effie, Mia, and Arden as a unit with a key stat that breaks into the 40’s, sporting the highest natural RES in the game by far. This fits him into a niche with Warding Stance, allowing him to be the ultimate magic tank, along with weakening enemies with ATK Ploy. His weapon and assist are both references to the final chapters to RD, in which he used both as character-unique weapons. Creiddylad also comes with a shrunken-down version of RES Smoke, which gives him some utility on offense, too. But where he really shines is his unique skill Corona, which allows him to activate Glacies at the same time as Iceberg would.

Thank you so much for reading! Now, could I have some of your thoughts?

Edited by KoolioKenneth

The Create a Hero thread exists.

Personally, I don't take well to unique non-weapon skills without strong justification why their existence is necessary.

5 hours ago, KoolioKenneth said:

Assist - Branded Sacrifice: Lose 10 HP, but fully heal any injured ally. Micaiah CAN die from this.

Literally no other effect in the game allows a unit to die outside of combat.

C-slot - Hone Dragons

Black Dragons are the defensive dragon variant. If anything, he should be getting Ward Dragons (or Ward Strike) to mimic Night Tide.

B-slot - Wrath

Flying units cannot learn Wrath.

and allows for the equipping of staff-restricted skills.

This should not be a thing. If you want to give a unit offensive skills, make them not a staff user.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

This should not be a thing. If you want to give a unit offensive skills, make them not a staff user.

Or maybe Heroes just shouldn't restrict healers as much as it does, especially now that Wrathful Staff is technically an innate skill via weapon refinery, allowing them all to be effectively colorless mages without inheritance.

replace ashnard with toroneo, we need another armor lance and ashnard should not be anywhere near a radiant dawn focus. Personally I think micaiah with thani would make way more sense and it is a niche that we don't have yet, with dual bonus damage(mt would be 11) and an effective armor tome.

corona is confusing, it seems like it has too much effect without much justification.

flare is freaking op given that it is unspecified for inheritance so it outclasses aether and on a unit type that doesn't need the buff near as much as regular infantry.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

4 minutes ago, Gebby said:

Or maybe Heroes just shouldn't restrict healers as much as it does, especially now that Wrathful Staff is technically an innate skill via weapon refinery, allowing them all to be effectively colorless mages without inheritance.

Staff users are designed to be support units first and combat units second or third. I don't see anything wrong with preventing them from using certain combat-oriented skills or forcing them to spend a skill slot or a refine to deal more damage.

Furthermore, tying the ability to learn and equip certain skills to whether or not a specific skill is equipped seems like a poor way to handle the situation. While it's nice to be creative, it's also nice to work within the bounds of the system you are working in.

8 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Staff users are designed to be support units first and combat units second or third. I don't see anything wrong with preventing them from using certain combat-oriented skills or forcing them to spend a skill slot or a refine to deal more damage.

Furthermore, tying the ability to learn and equip certain skills to whether or not a specific skill is equipped seems like a poor way to handle the situation. While it's nice to be creative, it's also nice to work within the bounds of the system you are working in.

Requiring them to equip a skill or refined weapon to become effective in combat, but there's not much reason to restrict them from using combative skills.
And he is working within the bounds of the system. There's nothing stopping IS from making a staff that lets its wielder equip combat skills, we've seen it done with Wrathful Staff on ThiccThokk for Loki.

Personally, I prefer custom units with unique and interesting skills/effects. If that's not your thing, then fine, but that doesn't make this guy's work any worse.

32 minutes ago, Gebby said:

There's nothing stopping IS from making a staff that lets its wielder equip combat skills, we've seen it done with Wrathful Staff on ThiccThokk for Loki.

Wrathful Staff is built into Thokk and is a skill normally allowed for her to equip. It doesn't let a Loki equip skills that her weapon type doesn't normally allow her to equip, which is what his weapon concept does.

32 minutes ago, Gebby said:

Personally, I prefer custom units with unique and interesting skills/effects. If that's not your thing, then fine, but that doesn't make this guy's work any worse.

Allowing a unit to equip skills that they normally cannot equip is not interesting. That's just saying "I don't like the restrictions that this game gives me so screw the rules".

If Creiddylad had the same effect as Fury or Life and Death or some other skill that staff users could not normally learn, I wouldn't mind. But allowing the unit to flat out ignore their weapon type skill learning restrictions (and only when they have this skill equipped) is somewhere between lazy and petty.

This also comes from my development background where I immediately see that there will be problems with the interfaces for equipping skills and Skill Inheritance.

Urvan was novel and interesting when it was released and stayed entirely within the bounds of this game's system. Same with Atk Ploy, Beorc's Blessing, Sacae's Blessing, Mulagir, Divine Tyrfing, and Ice Mirror when they were released. A weapon usable by flying units that gives them Bowbreaker is interesting. A weapon that lets a flying unit learn and equip Bowbreaker is not.

Edited by Ice Dragon

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Allowing a unit to equip skills that they normally cannot equip is not interesting. That's just saying "I don't like the restrictions that this game gives me so screw the rules".

If he doesn't like the rules, that's fine. They can be subjected to change at any time IS chooses, and since in custom banners you theoretically are IS, then changing the rules is fair game.
I've made custom units, some not broken, some broken, and I had fun with both. The entire appeal is the 'what if'. If you don't like what they're doing, then once again, that's fine, but that doesn't take away from their work.

If Creiddylad had the same effect as Fury or Life and Death or some other skill that staff users could not normally learn, I wouldn't mind. But allowing the unit to flat out ignore their weapon type skill learning restrictions (and only when they have this skill equipped) is somewhere between lazy and petty.

If that's how you feel, then fair enough.However, there's nothing wrong with disagreeing with the restrictions, and lifting them would allow for more intricate builds on healers.

This also comes from my development background where I immediately see that there will be problems with the interfaces for equipping skills and Skill Inheritance.

This is actually a fair point. While I don't think IS wouldn't be able to find some way around ay interface problems, I still hadn't considered this, so thank you for bringing it up. However, real world limitations don't affect hypothetical units. Once again, if that irks you, fair enough, but it still does not take away from their work.

Urvan was novel and interesting when it was released and stayed entirely within the bounds of this game's system. Same with Atk Ploy, Beorc's Blessing, Sacae's Blessing, Mulagir, Divine Tyrfing, and Ice Mirror when they were released. A weapon usable by flying units that gives them Bowbreaker is interesting. A weapon that lets a flying unit learn and equip Bowbreaker is not.

Bows are an actual weakness that fliers have; Bowbreaker would just be broken. Healers, once again, require extra investment to be viable in combat, and removing the limitations on their skills would allow for more interesting builds on them.

1 hour ago, Gebby said:

However, real world limitations don't affect hypothetical units.

Real-world limitations bring into doubt the feasibility of something's implementation. When I see fan-made unit concepts, one thing that I find important to my own judgment of them is whether or not I can actually imagine seeing them implemented in the game (and whether or not I want to code those mechanics into the game if I were the one implementing them). Suggestions that have technical limitations or that require specific exceptions to established programming-enforced simple rules make concepts seem less likely to implemented, which detracts from the concept.

1 hour ago, Gebby said:

Bows are an actual weakness that fliers have; Bowbreaker would just be broken. Healers, once again, require extra investment to be viable in combat, and removing the limitations on their skills would allow for more interesting builds on them.

Being broken or not being broken is not relevant to my argument. Go back and read it over again.

Swap out Pelleas or Sephiran for RD Ike and Ashnard for Levail and I'm fine with this, Ice Dragon's points aside. You do know that Ashnard was not in RD, right? :/

Edited by Anacybele

10 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

The Create a Hero thread exists.

Personally, I don't take well to unique non-weapon skills without strong justification why their existence is necessary.

Literally no other effect in the game allows a unit to die outside of combat.

Black Dragons are the defensive dragon variant. If anything, he should be getting Ward Dragons (or Ward Strike) to mimic Night Tide.

Flying units cannot learn Wrath.

Sorry, I didn't know there was a thread for created heroes. I haven't used Serenes in a while. I'll go post it there, instead. And I wasn't aware that flying units could not learn Wrath. I'll replace it with Quick Riposte.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Swap out Pelleas or Sephiran for RD Ike and Ashnard for Levail and I'm fine with this, Ice Dragon's points aside. You do know that Ashnard was not in RD, right? :/

As much as I love Ike, I wasn't comfortable with including another version of him into the game while other characters like Marth are still left with one variant. Also, yes I am aware that Ashnard wasn't in RD, but I also see him as one of the best potential villain units out of the entire Tellius series, making him perfect for a GHB.

8 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

replace ashnard with toroneo, we need another armor lance and ashnard should not be anywhere near a radiant dawn focus. Personally I think micaiah with thani would make way more sense and it is a niche that we don't have yet, with dual bonus damage(mt would be 11) and an effective armor tome.

corona is confusing, it seems like it has too much effect without much justification.

flare is freaking op given that it is unspecified for inheritance so it outclasses aether and on a unit type that doesn't need the buff near as much as regular infantry.

I love Tauroneo, but he still feel significant enough in RD's story to warrant being put into the game. If any lance armor was to be in the game, it should be Gatrie. And yes, I agree that Thani would be a better choice, hence why I included it as an alternate weapon in the explanation for Micaiah. But it can only work to an extent: granting bonus damage against two different weapon types would be a little TOO powerful. Oh, and Flare isn't as strong as Aether; it only hits once, and it cannot be inherited.

7 hours ago, edgelordweeaboo said:

if they're gonna do this im hoping for dope units like danved, brom, alan, tormod, and makalov. also naesala or tibarn ghb would be lit if they did one. too bad none of this will ever happen just like the thracia banner

I feel you, bro. Tibarn was my man in RD. And I too would like to see a Thracia banner.

1 minute ago, KoolioKenneth said:

As much as I love Ike, I wasn't comfortable with including another version of him into the game while other characters like Marth are still left with one variant. Also, yes I am aware that Ashnard wasn't in RD, but I also see him as one of the best potential villain units out of the entire Tellius series, making him perfect for a GHB.

Hasn't stopped IS from making four Lucinas and three Xanders. Also, at least this would be an existing version of Ike rather than a random seasonal. And he still had a big role in RD and is massively popular. You don't have to feel uncomfortable including him here.

And it would still make more sense to pick someone that was actually in RD for the RD GHB...

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Real-world limitations bring into doubt the feasibility of something's implementation. When I see fan-made unit concepts, one thing that I find important to my own judgment of them is whether or not I can actually imagine seeing them implemented in the game (and whether or not I want to code those mechanics into the game if I were the one implementing them). Suggestions that have technical limitations or that require specific exceptions to established programming-enforced simple rules make concepts seem less likely to implemented, which detracts from the concept.

That's entirely a matter of personal preference. Myself, I enjoy things like fanmade crossover banners, and made one for The Elder Scrolls over the summer. These are in no way logical and would never happen, but that doesn't detract from the enjoyment I get out of them, and I don't think that impossibility, whether it be due to programming limitations or just nonsensicle ideas, make these creations objectively worse or take away from the effort put into them. While I do understand what the point of this post was(an atempt to correct the lack of representation for RD), it's still fanmade, cut the guy some slack.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Being broken or not being broken is not relevant to my argument. Go back and read it over again.

You're right, and I can't exactly recall my thoughts when I wrote that, but I believe it was something having to due with the extra investment needed to make healers viable in combat situations. My apologies.

16 hours ago, KoolioKenneth said:

Sorry, I didn't know there was a thread for created heroes. I haven't used Serenes in a while. I'll go post it there, instead. And I wasn't aware that flying units could not learn Wrath. I'll replace it with Quick Riposte.

I love Tauroneo, but he still feel significant enough in RD's story to warrant being put into the game. If any lance armor was to be in the game, it should be Gatrie. And yes, I agree that Thani would be a better choice, hence why I included it as an alternate weapon in the explanation for Micaiah. But it can only work to an extent: granting bonus damage against two different weapon types would be a little TOO powerful. Oh, and Flare isn't as strong as Aether; it only hits once, and it cannot be inherited.

I feel you, bro. Tibarn was my man in RD. And I too would like to see a Thracia banner.

i haven't played RD in forever but didnt tibarn try to kill soren or some shit? i dont quite remember exactly why i liked him so much but i feel like i remember something like that and that would probably be why i liked him

Aether is only one hit in this game. The Flare you created outclasses it completely, and it should not do so.

I can't imagine that Baselard being a thing. I feel like IntSys learned their lesson with powerful range 2 brave weapons. I hope they have at least. Brave Bow is already fine, and Dire Thunder is completely OP. The only way that Baselard would be workable if it were unique to Sothe (but it shouldn't be) AND you didn't give him a minmaxed offensive spread. I also don't feel the Baselard is a good choice for a brave dagger, since it... isn't one. The Soldier's Knife of Fates is what you're looking for; maybe Kaze can come with that when he finally gets in the game.

Dark Breath already exists as a name (it's Corrin's weapon). Maybe Black Breath?

Already mentioned, but I'll second it: Branded Sacrifice should not be able kill the user. Sacrifice can't kill Micaiah in RD, why should this? I'd also probably make it restore 20 HP instead of 10, too; full seems too outclass staff healing too much. And it should be unique to Micaiah, obviously; a rare case of an assist skill which has that justification based on its source game.

On 12/7/2017 at 8:32 PM, Ice Dragon said:

Staff units have offensive special quotes that continue to do this day.

It's most likely an inevitability. Although I really hope it's not restricted by a limited or 5* exclusive skill. 

On 12/7/2017 at 5:46 PM, KoolioKenneth said:

How is Tauroneo not important in the story? He's the third most politically powerful character in Daein right beneath Pelleas and Micaiah. Though I'd rather see Tauroneo released when the Daein Liberation Army banner comes out with Pelleas, Tauroneo, Jill and Zihark. First, the Dawn Brigade banner should be released with Micaiah, Sothe, Nolan, Edward and Leonardo. 

Also, I agree that Ike can wait. 

On 07.12.2017 at 8:28 PM, Gebby said:

If he doesn't like the rules, that's fine. They can be subjected to change at any time IS chooses, and since in custom banners you theoretically are IS, then changing the rules is fair game.
I've made custom units, some not broken, some broken, and I had fun with both. The entire appeal is the 'what if'. If you don't like what they're doing, then once again, that's fine, but that doesn't take away from their work.

If that's how you feel, then fair enough.However, there's nothing wrong with disagreeing with the restrictions, and lifting them would allow for more intricate builds on healers.

This is actually a fair point. While I don't think IS wouldn't be able to find some way around ay interface problems, I still hadn't considered this, so thank you for bringing it up. However, real world limitations don't affect hypothetical units. Once again, if that irks you, fair enough, but it still does not take away from their work.

Intricate healer builds? You mean just putting Fury on everything? Because that is what would happen