Soul Calibur VI!

Tsunami922

4 minutes ago, Tsunami922 said:

They should have put a name tag on his shirt that says: "Hello! My Name Is: THE BAD GUY"

Azwel is kinda giving me Algol vibes with the blue and red hands that summon weapons.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zhang Jiao was the one I was thinking of, really. Even the title of Leader of Humanity reminds me of Yellow Turban cultishness.

11 minutes ago, TheGoodHoms said:

OH MY GOODNESS! I did not expect Cervantes to be in this game!

Wait... yes I did. My bad.

The rest are pretty much going to be standard characters. And I think it was a good idea to take a Mortal Kombat 9 approach in which you mainly use MK1-3 golden era characters as a basis for the reboot.

Yeah, Wizard Phüt definitely reminds me of Algol with the red and blue thing going on and the fact that he seems to be a legendary figure of some kind.  Though I like Mr. Wizard's weapon aesthetic more.

5 hours ago, Edgelord said:

Edit: Mage character Azwel has just been announced on stream by Okuba. This is the Libra Souls trailer guy. It also pretty much confirms a specific leak. This one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SoulCalibur/comments/95ls63/i_think_this_random_roster_leak_from_4chan_is_100/

Nothing really surprising there, aside from him not being sure about Hwang or Lizardman/Aeon.

Even if that list seems very likely, and even if it got the name of the character right, I still have doubts.

I have a very hard time trusting leakers, at least ones that are supposedly part of the actual development/localization team and that list such detailed, specific, and sure things as that.  It just feels implausible to me that people like that would be able to keep their jobs.  I'd trust it more if it was something like a janitor who saw/heard names and compiled such a list.  Or someone else who's low on the corporate totem pole.

Yea, this new antagonist looks amazing. He has condescending attitude & face you want bash in, sounds like a winning combination for a fighting game boss.

7 hours ago, Tsunami922 said:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/08/25/soulcalibur-vi-ps4-xbox-pc-bandai-namco-series-future/

This is troubling.. If it the game doesn't do well.. this might be it.

I can't say I'm shock considering it's been 6 years since SC V, but at the same time SC V did that bad? That's incredibly depressing to know.

7 hours ago, Edgelord said:

Tell that to the people willing to bail over exclusively the Tira thing.

That said, this is typically how it is for fighting games. Your franchise can go down just after one badly received game, and SCV pretty much crippled the idea of SC for Bandai Namco to begin with. The series is lucky to not be dead right now after that, really.

Hopefully it's like Awakening is all I can say.

While I can't say Tira being held DLC isn't necessarily a dick move, it does get annoying how over reactive FGC can be, but not surprising because it's the FGC.

I really, really, don't want this game to fail. I already had to my one of my favorite fighting game series dying off last year & never having coming back . I really don't want my favorite fighting game series to died off. I just wouldn't be to handle that.

7 hours ago, Edgelord said:

Edit: Mage character Azwel has just been announced on stream by Okuba. This is the Libra Souls trailer guy. It also pretty much confirms a specific leak. This one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SoulCalibur/comments/95ls63/i_think_this_random_roster_leak_from_4chan_is_100/

Nothing really surprising there, aside from him not being sure about Hwang or Lizardman/Aeon.

I get playing it safe, but that such a boring roster. Hwang should at the very at least return, he's been officially gone from the roster over 20 years!

Throw him bone at already

6 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Yeah, Wizard Phüt definitely reminds me of Algol with the red and blue thing going on and the fact that he seems to be a legendary figure of some kind.  Though I like Mr. Wizard's weapon aesthetic more.

Even if that list seems very likely, and even if it got the name of the character right, I still have doubts.

I have a very hard time trusting leakers, at least ones that are supposedly part of the actual development/localization team and that list such detailed, specific, and sure things as that.  It just feels implausible to me that people like that would be able to keep their jobs.  I'd trust it more if it was something like a janitor who saw/heard names and compiled such a list.  Or someone else who's low on the corporate totem pole.

It's a little more reliable since you would expect multiple people to be involved in the localisation and they would have been going off text files etc. There really wouldn't be any way to pinpoint anyone as someone who worked on the localisation as there are many that do. Or well, they could just be lying about that for that reason.

6 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

I get playing it safe, but that such a boring roster. Hwang should at the very at least return, he's been officially gone from the roster over 20 years!

Throw him bone at already

Hwang isn't on that list, but the guy admitted that he didn't know because Hwang didn't have a "narrator file", whatever that meant. He also wasn't sure if Lizardman was in as a unique character. I think if Hwang and Lizardman are the two he's not sure about, Hwang is more likely to be in the base roster. I personally think he'll still be in.

Clarification by same guy:
"This list >>421028621 was actually me, and this is based off the files I've worked on.
As I said, I'm not 100% sure Hwang is in because he didn't have a "Narrator" segment while every other characters had one, but maybe that segment wasn't just in the file at the time.
I don't know why that leak guy that said Raphael wasn't in came from, he's in there, clear as day.

https://8wayrun.com/threads/soul-calibur-vi-general-discussion.19804/page-681#post-754987
https://pastebin.com/raw/7j2JJQnU was a breakdown of everything that was said. There's some spoilers in there. The one thing that was said is that Hilde and Setsuka would be DLC, yet Cassandra would not, but I don't know how true this is because it's split over multiple threads and potentially multiple anonymous people making shit up. But if Cassandra was not in the first DLC that would surprise me.

Kind of reminds me of the Mortal Kombat 9 reboot. There was like two new characters in that game, too. If we do see a drastic change it would probably be in the sequel such as Mortal Kombat X.

6 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

While I can't say Tira being held DLC isn't necessarily a dick move, it does get annoying how over reactive FGC can be, but not surprising because it's the FGC.

I really, really, don't want this game to fail. I already had to my one of my favorite fighting game series dying off last year & never having coming back . I really don't want my favorite fighting game series to died off. I just wouldn't be to handle that.

I think it's a dick move, but some people would rather the series fail than swallowing the pill and seeing anything in future. I hate to see the reason Namco killed a longstanding franchise is because of a controversy like that.

Edited by Edgelord

10 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

I can't say I'm shock considering it's been 6 years since SC V, but at the same time SC V did that bad? That's incredibly depressing to know.

Apparently it sold 1.38 million in the first eight months (according to links on Wikipedia), and SCIV sold in the same time period 2.3 million. About one million less, which I guess here was quite devastating, a ~43% sales drop.

Random thought, why is Sophitia a believer in the Greco-Roman pantheon? -Well it's obviously for the aesthetic of it! But by the time of the Soulcalibur franchise, Greece had been converted to the soul of Orthodox Christianity for over a thousand years. Sophitia calls Athens her home even, so it isn't like she is living high in a remote mountain village miraculously unaffected by the Christian conversion effort.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Random thought, why is Sophitia a believer in the Greco-Roman pantheon? -Well it's obviously for the aesthetic of it! But by the time of the Soulcalibur franchise, Greece had been converted to the soul of Orthodox Christianity for over a thousand years. Sophitia calls Athens her home even, so it isn't like she is living high in a remote mountain village miraculously unaffected by the Christian conversion effort.

Probably because Hephaestus actually spoke to her.

Edit: Interestingly, her mother Nike is named after the Greek goddess of victory.

I've heard various claims about Greek mythology in the SC series and it's worth noting that it would be the Muslim Ottoman Empire at this time, not Orthodox Christianity.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Headscratchers/SoulSeries

"The whole ordeal (during SE, atleast) was more in the lines of "Sophie was a BIG fan of ancient myths", nothing else: Before knowing the gods were actually real, she was actually very interested in ancient greek mythology and lamented how people of her time has forgotten about their roots and culture. After leaving the mandatory worship (mass, though I'm not sure if that's the right term), she used to have a "silent prayer" to the city's protector (Athena) only out of respect for the story build by her ancestors, not because she's secretly thinking they are real (yet). After they are found out to be real, she's still not going every odd day to pray for them, but just visiting the ruins of the temple in very special times (her engagement, when she's troubled in SC3)."

Supposedly this was stated in her official profiles at some point. Cassandra does not worship them, but believes they exist because she knows Sophitia is not one to lie (which is an interesting position). Hephaestus is kind of an asshole in the SC series considering he recruited 24 people including Sophitia, a baker's daughter, and Aeon to destroy Soul Edge. Aeon blames him for being turned into a monster, and Cassandra blames him for putting a massive burden on Sophitia. And the rest of those 24 died. Meanwhile, Hephaestus and the rest of the Greek gods in general take no action whatsoever. Which considering Hephaestus's role of being shit on by the rest of the Greek gods, I'm not sure if is fitting or not.

Which might lead to the reasonable question about why Sophitia and Cassandra look more like Swedes than Greeks. But once again, aesthetics.

Edited by Edgelord

11 hours ago, Edgelord said:

Hwang isn't on that list, but the guy admitted that he didn't know because Hwang didn't have a "narrator file", whatever that meant. He also wasn't sure if Lizardman was in as a unique character. I think if Hwang and Lizardman are the two he's not sure about, Hwang is more likely to be in the base roster. I personally think he'll still be in.

Clarification by same guy:
"This list >>421028621 was actually me, and this is based off the files I've worked on.
As I said, I'm not 100% sure Hwang is in because he didn't have a "Narrator" segment while every other characters had one, but maybe that segment wasn't just in the file at the time.
I don't know why that leak guy that said Raphael wasn't in came from, he's in there, clear as day.

https://8wayrun.com/threads/soul-calibur-vi-general-discussion.19804/page-681#post-754987
https://pastebin.com/raw/7j2JJQnU was a breakdown of everything that was said. There's some spoilers in there. The one thing that was said is that Hilde and Setsuka would be DLC, yet Cassandra would not, but I don't know how true this is because it's split over multiple threads and potentially multiple anonymous people making shit up. But if Cassandra was not in the first DLC that would surprise me.

Kind of reminds me of the Mortal Kombat 9 reboot. There was like two new characters in that game, too. If we do see a drastic change it would probably be in the sequel such as Mortal Kombat X.

If Hwang really is in, then I'll be doing cartwheels all day every day. That being said, I'm slightly disappointed none of the SC 5 characters are returning but if they're really betting everything then they really gotta play it safe as possible. But if Cassandra doesn't make into the base roster that's gonna bum me out.

11 hours ago, Edgelord said:

I think it's a dick move, but some people would rather the series fail than swallowing the pill and seeing anything in future. I hate to see the reason Namco killed a longstanding franchise is because of a controversy like that.

It's the FGC, when aren't they over reacting? It's not like Soul Calibur & Tekken are the first people to do this. People gotta stop pretending this isn't a thing with the Fighting Game genre.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Apparently it sold 1.38 million in the first eight months (according to links on Wikipedia), and SCIV sold in the same time period 2.3 million. About one million less, which I guess here was quite devastating, a ~43% sales drop.

That's depressing to know.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Pretty sure there wasn't a malevolent sword around either, but I'm no historian buff. Not to mention Sophitia actually did meet Hephaestus.

1 hour ago, Tsunami922 said:

https://www.dualshockers.com/soulcalibur-6-no-switch-maybe-later/

Another interview with producer, I wonder if it'll ever happen though..

If this is really endanger then the Switch port can wait. SC VI needs to be successful 1st.

3 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

It's the FGC, when aren't they over reacting? It's not like Soul Calibur & Tekken are the first people to do this. People gotta stop pretending this isn't a thing with the Fighting Game genre.

Yeah, I've seen people complain about every fighting game that's come up on my radar in the last five-or-so years that I've been active on the net.  SC, Tekken, Street Fighter, MvC... even Injustice and Mortal Kombat.  They're sometimes more finicky than the FE fandom can be.

3 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Pretty sure there wasn't a malevolent sword around either, but I'm no historian buff.

Never heard of any evil sword in particular, but plenty of myths of powerful legendary weapons were abound when non-firearm weapons were still relevant (a bit less so in the Renaissance/Enlightenment eras on account of better correspondence and ease of travel, but they remained prevalent in some places).  In the first game, Soul Edge, the rumors didn't even suggest it was evil, just that it was powerful and that lots of people perished seeking it out (mostly due to the fact that Cervantes didn't actually go anywhere since he was waiting for Ivy to be born and come of age).

It was only when the Evil Seed was unleashed and the "Azure Knight" came to be that the malevolence of the sword became more common knowledge.  Only Taki and Sophitia knew of its evil before hand, and that's because they were aided by a highly adept intelligence network and an actual god, respectively.  Well, them and I guess certain other characters brought into the fold later on in the series, like Zasalamel and Algol.

On 8/25/2018 at 6:58 PM, Tsunami922 said:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/08/25/soulcalibur-vi-ps4-xbox-pc-bandai-namco-series-future/

This is troubling.. If it the game doesn't do well.. this might be it.

I believe that as long as they do a better job than they did in SC V, they'll be fine.

They're already getting positive marks from me and a lot of fans for including a Weapon Master-esque mode and bringing back much of the old cast.  I've seen some complaining around, but as was pointed out earlier that's nothing new in the FGC.  And from the sounds of it, they've got a better direction and more time to work with it than SC V, which was rushed and had pretty poor direction that was way too ambitious.

I think the climate of people's attitudes towards day 1 DLC in fighting games has gotten significantly worse since Street Fighter x Tekken had DLC literally on-disc. And then in the past couple years you had the extremely half baked starting roster for Street Fighter V and extremely large numbers of DLC characters in a thin starting roster for BlazBlue Tag Battle, including the initial reveal that the RWBY characters were all going to be locked behind DLC (initially paid, eventually turned free). Also we haven't even seen the whole starting roster for SC6 yet so it's just bad taste to already be advertising DLC when you haven't even seen the whole base product yet.

Remember for people who want to lab match-ups for tourney purposes, this basically makes these purchases mandatory, bumping up an already-full-price game even higher. Especially so if that character is your main from a previous game, locked behind a paywall. BBTag is one of the few games not at normal AAA price, but it's also the game with the most reused assets of all current gen fighting games.

I think SC6 still looks really good compared to 5, especially with the return of the original characters instead of their idea of trying to replace everyone all at once. I don't think the DLC thing is going to impact the game's sales. Just I don't blame people for whining at bad practices. Just because every company does it doesn't mean it's good.

Game development costs have increased significiantly for modern games while retail price has stayed consistent, yet it would be considered more of a taboo to charge more than $60 for a game compared to all the other shady shit that game companies do to get your money down the line. No game publisher wants to be the only ones charging $80 for a AAA game by themselves because it may actually get them more bad press than having day one locked DLC before the rest of the base roster is shown.

Edit: on top of that, people like Jim Sterling or Downward Thrust making reactionary videos doesn't exactly help.

Edited by Edgelord

https://www.vgr.com/soul-calibur-6-may-be-the-last-in-the-series-if-not-successful/

In an interview with Dual Shockers, there was a specific question asked about the future of the Soul Calibur series if the newest game didn’t perform as well as everyone hopes. Could it be that Soul Calibur 6 may be the last game in the franchise? Okubo-san had this to say:

“Yeah that’s right,” Okubo-san stated, though he quickly clarified that he doesn’t want to “blackmail” fans or force them to buy the game by saying that Soul Calibur 6 could be the very last, but he wanted to be honest and say that it is a very real possibility. Okubo-san also went on to admit that the Soul Calibur series is ‘in crisis’ and thus they are trying everything they can to make it a success, because after all, “they have nothing to lose.”

While Okubo-san made it clear he does not want or expect every fan to buy the game to save the franchise, it does appear as though Soul Calibur 6 will be depending a lot on its fans when it releases. 

That may be concerning. 

Edited by Jingle Jangle

13 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Never heard of any evil sword in particular, but plenty of myths of powerful legendary weapons were abound when non-firearm weapons were still relevant (a bit less so in the Renaissance/Enlightenment eras on account of better correspondence and ease of travel, but they remained prevalent in some places).  In the first game, Soul Edge, the rumors didn't even suggest it was evil, just that it was powerful and that lots of people perished seeking it out (mostly due to the fact that Cervantes didn't actually go anywhere since he was waiting for Ivy to be born and come of age).

It was only when the Evil Seed was unleashed and the "Azure Knight" came to be that the malevolence of the sword became more common knowledge.  Only Taki and Sophitia knew of its evil before hand, and that's because they were aided by a highly adept intelligence network and an actual god, respectively.  Well, them and I guess certain other characters brought into the fold later on in the series, like Zasalamel and Algol.

C'mon, cut me some slack here. Although I admit that I don't think I'm a big of a fan as I used to thought I was, I know my Soul Calibur lore.

I was on board for this game till they locked a legacy character behind a paywall. It's Namco though, should have expected it. Namco Bandai are the same idiots who put in Level Up DLC into Tales of Games. AAA companies need to die off like the plague that they are. 

9 hours ago, Edgelord said:

Game development costs have increased significiantly for modern games while retail price has stayed consistent, yet it would be considered more of a taboo to charge more than $60 for a game compared to all the other shady shit that game companies do to get your money down the line. No game publisher wants to be the only ones charging $80 for a AAA game by themselves because it may actually get them more bad press than having day one locked DLC before the rest of the base roster is shown.

Edit: on top of that, people like Jim Sterling or Downward Thrust making reactionary videos doesn't exactly help.

Game sales are also higher than ever and games don't have to cost more to produce. If a game has to include Day 1 DLC to make a profit, they've allocated their funds poorly. Most of the games that have made the most money in the past year have either limited/no DLC (God of War, Mario Odyssey, Monster Hunter World), or are low barrier to entry/free-to-play with microtransactions (PUBG, Fortnite, League of Legends, mobile gaming)

I'm in the animation industry. You allocate your budget from the start. DLC is just a strategy to make more profit, it isn't what is going to be the difference maker between profitable and non-profitable. DLC is not bad, and in fact can add a lot of mileage to a game, but day 1 DLC is pure preorder marketing, something this game arguably didn't need considering how much goodwill they were already getting from bringing back fan favourite characters, plus the guest character. Look at how well Dragon Ball FighterZ did without any day 1 DLC. They had preorder-based early unlocks for the SSGSS characters, and the game is far and away the best selling fighting game of the current console gen because quality speaks for itself.

Edited by Samias

1 hour ago, Samias said:

Game sales are also higher than ever and games don't have to cost more to produce.

But they do, because if budget is not put into making the game look as good as possible for AAA games, people will complain (and not buy the game). If there is not enough length to the game, people will complain (and not buy the game). If mechanics aren't up to the standard that other similar titles have, people will complain (and not buy the game). AAA games don't get the same pass that indie games do.

I'm all for pointing out the scummy and anti-consumer things that gaming corporations do, but we've honestly been pretty lucky to keep a baseline $60 for a game as consumers for a relatively long time. I'd actually be willing to pay slightly more for games (especially fighting games) if it meant we didn't have this type of shit. So in some ways I suppose I agree about the whole Tira thing.

I'm not saying that they need to do so to make a profit, but I think it's actually kind of indicative that Soulcalibur as a series has a relatively lower budget then it would once have comparitively due to low confidence from Namco for SCVI. Poor allocation of funds could be a reason for a game to do badly, and I think this was the case in SCV, but I haven't really seen much evidence of this being the case for SCVI.

I'm not really sure why you're citing those other types of games, though. Many of those don't rely on DLC to expand the lifespan of the game competitively like fighting games do. I wasn't saying that every game should have DLC, to make up for profits or not.

It's actually quite sad, but fighting game sales are a pretty poor fraction of the market share recently:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/189592/breakdown-of-us-video-game-sales-2009-by-genre/
(I'm not too sure about this source, but from most sources it does place it around 6%.)

If you were going to mention a fighter that has an unconventional consumer scheme, I would say Killer Instinct. I think that does well with what it set out to do.

1 hour ago, Samias said:

Look at how well Dragon Ball FighterZ did without any day 1 DLC. They had preorder-based early unlocks for the SSGSS characters, and the game is far and away the best selling fighting game of the current console gen because quality speaks for itself.

I don't really think this is particularly benevolent either. But preorder culture has been made standard for a while now.

Basically, I think there are forces above Okubo that don't have a lot of faith in the Soulcalibur series. This is disappointing, but not much of a surprise, as they pretty much said similar things about the series ending when SCV was in production. It also happens to be after Eliza was a preorder bonus for Tekken 7, and Goro and Darkseid from Netherrealm's MKX and Injustice 2 respectively. I remember people complaining about the Dark Souls preorder bonuses from Namco, too.

1 hour ago, Kazuya said:

I was on board for this game till they locked a legacy character behind a paywall. It's Namco though, should have expected it. Namco Bandai are the same idiots who put in Level Up DLC into Tales of Games. AAA companies need to die off like the plague that they are. 

Well, if you don't care about the series that much, then that's fair enough. Personally, I think it's very blown out of proportion. Especially if people are not going to buy the game instead of just not buying the DLC.

What's the criteria for "legacy character," though? Tira was in SC3, 4 and 5. 3 mainline games since 2005. The series was hardly thriving, and the intended timescale of the reboot does kind of place her at the point of where she was not yet active in the SC franchise, unlike Zasalamel who was active prior to SC3. They could have easily dropped Tira and that would be it, and I say that as her being one of my favourite characters in the series. She was not a lock no matter how many people want to say she is. I understand that they obviously retconned her and Talim to put them in the game, which is a good idea, but that fact still remains. Hence why Setsuka is likely to be DLC.

That all said, I still have a feeling SCVI will do relatively well. The quality is there.

Edited by Edgelord

Oh, I know fighting games are one of the harder genres to turn a profit in. Sustaining interest by churning out DLC content is something important to them, especially since doing updated rereleases has never been the norm for Namco, whereas Capcom and ArcSys are way more likely to put "Old game +1" out on the market to recapture costs. However no one ever put a gun to their head and said they have to have super high-end physics (Street Fighter and Injustice sure don't, and Smash Bros, DBFZ and Guilty Gear are stylized out the wazoo) and go as high poly as they have. Obviously the market responded poorly to Marvel vs Capcom Infinite being so poor quality and low on characters, but we already know SC6 will not be that bad. SC5 was their own misstep by deciding to redo nearly the entire cast WHILE rushing the game out the door, instead of doing iterative work with old characters.

Tira being DLC is totally fine. She's a more recent character and doesn't quite slot in to the time period this game is set in. Just I doubt her, or Eliza for Tekken, makes such a huge difference in driving day 1 sales vs the game itself being good. Tekken 7 already had built its rep in Japanese arcades and the US market was thirsty for the series to return, just like fans are thirsty for SC now. They could have teased her closer to the game launch with the full roster reveal, and say "She's part of the season pass with x characters, coming on y day!" and you'd still have people clamouring for the season pass (never mind that season passes are also scummy but it's basically the DLC preorder service minus transparency).

I actually think the KI model is very interesting where you pay only for the characters you want to play. It's a very well made game and it's a shame it isn't more popular. If it hadn't been XBox exclusive for such a long time, it possibly could have done better, but we'll never know. Still, we know from BlazBlue that it's very hard to spin "a large portion of the cast will be DLC" before launch in a positive way. People just think you're cheating them out of content. SC6 isn't anywhere near that bad, being entirely new content, but sitting on announcements could have been in Namco's favour.

Namco are dumb for announcing Tira before 2-4 of the last roster characters, but at the same time people have claimed this as the reason for being pissed and I just don't see it compared to the whole day 1 DLC thing, which is the real issue. You could say it makes it worse, but if Tira was announced at the same time and that she was to be released in November or December or whatever, I don't think people would be pissed. Honestly, if Namco were smart they would do that. It's not like people are going to drop interest for the game a few months after it comes out if it's actually good. And the consensus from fighting game veterans that have played it is that it is good.

Either way, announcing Tira as day 1 DLC after every base roster character would still get them backlash.

We'll see about the numbers of sales but I'm wary that a dumb controversy like the Battlefield V thing could actually significantly affect something like that. (not sure how much of a accurate assessment that is of the BFV thing)

Edited by Edgelord

That is what I mean. If they announced Tira after the rest of the roster, after launch with other characters, there wouldn't be as many complaints. It would have come across as "this game has support into the future" rather than "content is being withheld from me right now". It's not as if the game is as unfinished as SFV, as table shaking as SC5, or as niche as the many anime fighters out there. If only Namco had more faith in their own product like they did with DBFZ.

6 hours ago, Edgelord said:

Well, if you don't care about the series that much, then that's fair enough. Personally, I think it's very blown out of proportion. Especially if people are not going to buy the game instead of just not buying the DLC.

What's the criteria for "legacy character," though? Tira was in SC3, 4 and 5. 3 mainline games since 2005. The series was hardly thriving, and the intended timescale of the reboot does kind of place her at the point of where she was not yet active in the SC franchise, unlike Zasalamel who was active prior to SC3. They could have easily dropped Tira and that would be it, and I say that as her being one of my favourite characters in the series. She was not a lock no matter how many people want to say she is. I understand that they obviously retconned her and Talim to put them in the game, which is a good idea, but that fact still remains. Hence why Setsuka is likely to be DLC.

I personally don't care too too much about SC since I prefer simpler fighting games but even then I still enjoy SC. I disagree completely with blown out of proportion. The AAA industry gets away with this shit because people let them. Fighting games are so easy to just pick out content for and make a paywall for. Arc System Twerks, for example, has done this for years, and got away with it in Blaz Blue Cross Greed Battle. I played the demo and enjoyed it but when I looked at the whole game being sold at like 80$ as a bundle, I was reminded about how greedy and disgusting this shit is. It isn't blown out of proportion, it's being sweeped under the rug. I'm not trying to call out certain people, but there are many who sweep this extreme contempt of the customer and consumer base just because they don't want any criticism of their beloved products. 

I adore Tales of games, they have been influenced by SC and fighting games just in general, but I refuse to accept what Bandai Assco has done to the series. Every time I buy a modern Tales of game I am reminded that they sell Level Up "DLCs"...where you pay to not play the game you bought. This isn't really any different than what Asscat Slamco is doing w/ fighting games, really. It's the same pie fucking they always do. They want a pie and they want to fuck it too. 

I would have loved to have bought this game and SNK Heroines but now, I'm not going to. NIS recently shown off Arthur as DLC, the game isn't even out yet and we are being shown content taken out of the game for more money. It's a personal disgust for me, but if I was already iffy on the game as is, I'll just refuse to buy it all together. I love Monster Hunter and when Capcom does eventually put more loot boxes (They are apparently in the Frontier series), I will never buy a new MH game w/ loot boxes in them, ever. Speaking of Crapcom, Street Fighter 5 has, what, 3 season passes now? 

I hope this didn't get too off topic and negative but it's me and it probably did. I hope others see my side of the coin, I definitely do see people who oppose my beliefs. Have a great day/night, everyone.

There was some new details/screenshots in Famitsu

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201808/30162981.html

5b837c9d726a1.jpg

5b837c9d6634d.jpg

5b83843abd7bb.jpg

Some translations:

https://8wayrun.com/threads/soul-calibur-vi-general-discussion.19804/page-714#post-756033

Libra of Soul:

Considered to be a "behind the scene" mode focusing on "another soul"
You can choose the weapons, parts of costumes and fighting style of of any character (cf. infra), and modify your appearance at any time
There are cities on the map, where you can buy items and weapons
You can have random encounters while traveling on the map
The more levels, the stronger you get (and you can also equip stronger weapons, hints of either weapon exp. or weapon stats)
Fights with special "rules": weaker hero, stronger pushes,..
Created character from other players will appear in your campaign

Creation:
They talk about choosing your height "freely", maybe we will have a slider rather than 4 or 5 heights? We are only getting 5 heights (cf. official Soul website)
Same goes for muscles
Modification of each part like in SCV is still possible.
They talk about 370 parts (they say "types of parts" though)
Still different face paints, stickers (scars, emblems, etc.), still customizable
They talk about "Weapon creation", which is nothing but weapon customization, like in SCV (at least, that's only what they show)
Still extra parts like in SCV
Still different frames (serious or funny ones)
Get ready: WE CAN CHOOSE GERALT'S FIGHTING STYLE FOR OUR CaS!!!!

Edited by Edgelord

3 hours ago, Edgelord said:

5b837c9d726a1.jpg

I'm willing to bet fifty shekels a good chunk of people will choose "Do not ask anything" here.

And I'm personally a fan of this pic:

l_5b837b6f4bbf5.jpg

I'll nickname this warrior "Mr. Chicken Legs".

Also, I love how the main character is named "BNE" in these shots.  Not sure what that's actually supposed to stand for (maybe Bandai Namco Entertainment?), but I definitely know it's also an acronym for a certain unsavory act.

And yeah, it's pretty swell that Geralt's style is available.  Never played any Witcher games, but I'm sure it'll be all fun and games.  Everyone's just singing CDPR's praises now.

Dl92HIwUYAAcN37.jpg:large

Someone posted the above on twitter. It looks like the build that's going to be used for PAX? Not too sure. There's some interesting things going on with the character select screen here. Tira isn't here so I'm going to assume DLC will have a submenu in the bottom left? Inferno should be in the centre, and the other two smaller circles may be for Hwang and Aeon if I was going to speculate.

Edit: Apparently that is CaS, so I'm mistaken. Either way we're likely to see trailers for Raphael and Cervantes at this event (which is apparently the one in Melbourne)

cas-jpg.50786

Edited by Edgelord