Accepting Volunteers - Team Shingetsu

Erren

2 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

Hey, it's a start, at least.

What I mean is that its one of those design choices your team is going to make.

How ambitious this project is will determine how much stuff you're going to bash your head against.

Custom battle animations are not fun to get right in a ROM.

Edited by shadowofchaos

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I appreciate your concern, however.

Would you be interested in seeing our current character sheet?

But we have sprites and stuff!

And, I counted. We have 18 people on the Discord. I will now name them:

Myself

Hawkatana

白野

Booty Daddy

ElectiveToast

giselle

ignore me, leave me alone

Jack

Melissa

ming li

Mystic

P33RL355

SullyMcGully

TheDarkPrinceOfMemes

Tuvy

Xeniferos

"Sprites and stuff" isn't a lot, and the number of people in your discord is pointless. Anyone can spend a few hours writing a plot and cobbling two character portraits together. What people are asking for you to show is progress. Come to the table with a concrete amount of work done, not an idea and a smile. Do a few chapters by yourselves and then see if people are interested in helping. See if you can actually manage to finish a few things and people will likely want to help more.

Ok, you CLEARLY have some high over-expectations of us. We're a relatively new group to hacking. We're not going to turn out a full completed game by New Years.

No one said to turn over a fully completed game. I suggested you complete one or two chapters for presentation. That shows you have the competence to do something, and are worth helping.

You're over-exaggerating both what I'm suggesting, and how much you've actually done. There are people working on their projects solo, without a group, that have accomplished far more than this. It shouldn't be too much of an expectation to suggest at least one completed chapter.

We will try and get out some kind of prologue or demo soon. Just be patient, we need to nail down some other things first, like getting more portraits done, making music, creating maps, turning our plotline into an actual script, confirming growth rates and skills and the like, etc.

There are only 3 things that really matter. Most projects don't have them and they end up failing.

3. Mapper: no maps = no game

2. Eventer: nothing on the maps = no game

1. Project Manager: no progress = no game

There's an argument to be made for needing a Writer but you seem to be fine on that front. Show that you have, or are willing to learn, these 3 things and the playtesters/spriters/whatever else will follow. Sprites/music/animations/skills/whatever are only useful once you actually have a game to put them into.

It just feels like you all are being... Pessimistic? Overly cautious? I'm not sure how to put it.

As the Friz said: It's time to take chances! Make mistakes! Get messy!

Creating a hack is a lot of work, and most fail. We're being cautious because if any of us commit to help without you showing you can complete work, and this crashes, its time wasted. We have our own things to be doing and lives to be living. 

1. I'm disturbed in the lack of faith you've shown us.

2. That reminds me of the only way we'd willingly stop doing this: If, in a new Fire Emblem direct, they reveal the leaks to be true.

58 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

And did I mention we have made some music as well?

And now the questions that inevitably come with that:

"Is it in a compatible format?"

"What quality compromises will you be willing to go with if it is not initially in MIDI format?"

3 hours ago, Corrobin said:

It just feels like you all are being... Pessimistic? Overly cautious? I'm not sure how to put it.

Look at the forum you are in.

It's 19 pages long, stretching nearly 10 years back.

Each of those pages represents multiple hacks that never got past the idea stage.

Anyone who has been involved in fan game activities for some time - as most posters in this forum have - has seen many, many people confidently claim that they'll totally make this awesome game and they'd never give up, only to one day disappear and never post again.

If you're serious about making a game, don't whine that people ~don't believe in you~ when you have nothing to show off. Make some goddamn progress and make them believe in you. You will get a much better reaction if you have even just a couple of chapters to show off, even if they are incomplete and use placeholder graphics. And if you remain active and update regularly - then you will be able to find people willing to help.

Just now, shadowofchaos said:

And now the questions that inevitably come with that:

"Is it in a compatible format?"

"What quality compromises will you be willing to go with if it is not initially in MIDI format?"

I'm not that familiar with music or how to code it in. I'm just linking them.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/381023093075738624/388491478911156235/Game_Over.mp3

Game Over theme

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/381023093075738624/388493690450083840/Healing_Theme.mp3

Healing theme

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/381023093075738624/388496222853267456/Sad_Theme.mp3

Sad theme

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/381023093075738624/388500276736294912/Something_Evil.mp3

Evil music

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/381023093075738624/388500291873406977/Promotion.mp3

Promotion theme