Which Fire emblem game has the best cast of characters? Personality wise.

Ginger567

15 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Ghast's Support Science should actually be given a look. I also had a bad impression since he was insulting Awakening and I love Awakening. But after some other videos of his, they were really good. His Support Science actually really gets you to see a new perspective of characters and might even make you like them more.

Yeh but he's so smug I instantly disliked him but maybe I'll give it a go if I'm able to withstand his 'oh I'm right and you'll all wrong' attitude.

15 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

I recommend Oosawa's FE4 manga. Really awesome manga. And it made me love the ships that the author had with it.

I'm going to give it a try, thank you so much for the recommendation. :D

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Ginger567 said:

Yeh but he's so smug I instantly disliked him but maybe I'll give it a go if I'm able to withstand his 'oh I'm right and you'll all wrong' attitude.

Very easy to understand, since that's exactly why I disliked him. But these particular vids are serious. His very first one is about Azura, and I definitely noticed some new aspects of her that I missed back then.

3 minutes ago, Ginger567 said:

I'm going to give it a try, thank you so much for the recommendation. :D

One word of warning, though. All the chapters haven't been translated yet from the site I look at, which only got up to chapter 62 so far. But at the very least you'll definitely get through Sigurd's journey. 

I actually can’t decide. Of the games I’ve played:

SoV - Has a few of my favourite characters, but so many of the characters are not fully fleshed out. However, overall this may rank first for me.

FE7 - I don’t hate any of the cast, but nor do I love them. There’s a few characters I like but overall no one really made an impression for good or for bad.

Awakening - I wasn’t fond of a few characters; I really like a few of the others. Overall this may have my least favourite cast just because I sore slightly negative to a few more of the characters...

Fates - there are some TERRIBLE characters in Fates. But there’s also a huge cast and some of the characters are great and overall each character has so many supports that I have a better understanding of their characters and aren’t just projecting my own ideas onto them (for example, I love Genny and Kliff’s designs in SoV and they’re fun characters to play, so I ‘like’ them, but ultimately we know exceedingly little about them). 

Fates was border line, the way Flora dies in Birthright. Simply terrible, I in fact had PTSD after that. Felicia, the best in the series. The rest was fine. 

Echoes was good. The full voice acting was an excellent addition. Alm, Celica, Lukas, Clive, and Burkut was excellent. Deen, Jedah, Rudolf, Desaix, Greith, and Barth was good. The rest was borderline.

PoR, thanks to the supports and base conversations, most of the characters I felt were well-rounded. They were able to get good interactions, decently explored backstories, likeable personalities, and well handled development. The cast is home to many characters I'd consider a favorite in the franchise and to this day I still enjoy them no matter how many playthroughs I do of the game. 

SoV is weaker in some respects relative to PoR, but the voice acting gives the characters a lot of life since it allows for certain traits to be reflected in the way a character speaks that text wouldn't have been able to the same extent. It makes them easy to latch onto as a player and despite the flaws I found with the story, I still found the characters enjoyable enough to play through it and keep them alive. 

Edited by Medeus

Of the games I played, my personal pick for best cast would go to Shadows of Valentia. While there aren't that many support conversations in the game, what we learn about the characters through their supports and base conversations made them quite likable with personalities that I found charming and . While there are a few characters that stick out like a sore thumb like Faye and a few meh characters like Deen, Nomah, and Palla, I pretty much liked the entire cast.The stellar voice acting also helped bring most of these characters much more to life. 

For the worst cast... this is going to be a controversial pick, but I'm giving this one to the Conquest cast from Fates. Honestly, there are very few characters that I liked or cared for in that route. The only ones I genuinely like now are Support!Xander (the only Nohrian royal I'm fond of for that matter), Laslow, Niles, Arthur, Benny, Charlotte, and Ignatius. The rest of its characters are those that I don't care for (like Leo, Beruka, Effie, Odin, and most of the Conquest children), as well as many characters that I don't like (namely Peri, Story!Xander, Camilla, Elise, Selena, Nyx, Keaton, Velouria, Soleil, and a few others). Many of the Conquest characters simply don't have personality traits or characterization that I found to be charming or things that resonated with me. Many of them just make me go "meh" and roll my eyes or others simply frustrated me with the things they do.

Worst cast is Shadow Dragon, EASILY. Simply put, thanks to the lack of supports, it's cast is dominated by blank slates and as a result, it's hard to identify with anyone since there's nothing to identify with or appreciate. Sacred Stones's cast wasn't much better (I could count the number of characters that aren't forgettable on one hand), as was Genealogy (waaaaaaay too many characters I feel indifferent to at best, and dislike outright at worst).

As far as best cast, that's tougher. Though I'm going to say SoV.

Best cast is SoV. Full voice acting truly added to their characters.

Worst cast for me, is...eheh...Tellius. I dunno...I was only really invested in the following: Ranulf, Reyson, Leanne, Tibarn, Naesala, Micaiah, Sothe, Rhys and Sanaki. The others were just...there. Zihark and Tormod were cool, but then they just...drifted off.

I understand, and partially agree with what people are saying about the Archaneans, but I personally think it makes them more fun, you get to imagine what they're like, though I completely understand why people would dislike this.

Best

My favourite cast of characters are Obviously from Tellius.

The Tellius cast is pretty gimmick free. Its their past's, personalities and relations with each other that determine how they act. I loved how every support and base conversation were plot revelent, rather then bs supports only directed at Pies, Crows, candy, stalking, Unrequited love etc looking at you Awakening. 

Every character felt so unique and real and I just couldn't help but love each and every one of them (except a few). It also features the largest amount of plot relevant characters and by the time you reach the end of Rd, you've been with these characters for 60 to 70 hours including both Tellius games.

Worst

The worst is easily Shadow dragons, Awakening and binding blade.

I think PoR had the best cast of characters. Little things like alternate dialogue based on who's alive or not, and base conversations, really helped to make them feel like more than just background characters. PoR also had genuinely amazing characters like Sanaki and Reyson. Also, when I say PoR I mean PoR specifically. Many RD's new characters felt underdeveloped and flat, so I can't praise them for anything.

Worst cast, in my opinion, has to be Fates. If I had to be specific, Conquest. I just ... really disliked all of the playable characters ;/

Best Casts: 

Fire Emblem 7's cast was really good, alot of the cast felt interconnected instead of just random villager you happened to meet or whatever. They also gave u insight into the world's culture and politics which was knight. Alot of the supports are really interesting and it has just the right kind of quirkiness: a few humourously unusual people here and there who didn't let there weirdness stop them from feeling like real people (Serra, Farina) unlike fates/awakening. Also the mystery aspect that a lot of this cast has is also really appreciated. If only more people received the Matthew treatment..

Fire Emblem 9's cast is really good so far and while i can't total judge them yet because I'm on chapter 20, i will say that they are really helped by the base conversations. The character designs in this game also among the best. I will say that there are a few times where the story seems to want to portray a certain character trait but then gives another. For example, there are a few times when Ike/Soren comes off as a complete jerk or stupid instead of just being blunt and honest. I'm sure that some of these are to show you the flaws in these characters but there are a few scenes that go way to far. But that minor nitpick aside, I still really enjoy this cast.

Fire Emblem 15's cast is great. The characters are all so charming and there village coversations give them alot of depth that helps to make the limited number of support conversations less hindering. The characters have such personality and the top notch voice acting makes them feel so real. My only real complaints with this cast are: faye, alm/celica, and half of the villains. Faye is by far the worst because she is a terrible, one note character whose obsession with Alm isn't funny, but creepy and uncomfortable and when talking to anyone else she is incredibly rude. Alm/Celica are actually some of the blandest and least interesting characters in the cast. The only personality trait (besides the bland young heroic idealist traits that literally every lord has) is the tinge of sassiness that they have but the voice acting really gives them alot of emotion so their still better than alot of other lords in the series (and a tinge of sassiness is more personality than alot of lords too). Also Celica was even dumber than Eirika by trusting Duma she had so many other options and she chose to ignore them all and lie to her friends. The villains in this game are either amazing or one-note. Jedah may try to act 3-dimensional but you'll quickly realize his motivations make zero sense. Berkut is still my favorite fire emblem villain though. These issues are all offset by the major positives and they also definitely appear in other fire emblems so overall sov may just be my fav.

Fire Emblem 8's cast is pretty good, they have alot of charm and their relationships really strengthen each other. The supports are pretty hit or miss but overall good as some characters have way more depth than you expect (garcia, forde) and the quircky characters in this game are hilarious (L'archel and her squad are amazing). I dont dislike any of the characters and there are a few i really really like. Some of the villains in this game are really good and my biggest problem with this game's cast is the fact that some of them are severely hurt depending on which route you take (joshua, selena). Also Ephraim and Eirika are charming but they dont really develop as much as they should like its really interesting that when they return to renais the ppl dont actually like them but it doesnt affect them so it kind of makes the citizens seem irrevelant and unimportant which makes it seem like the whole world revolves around the protagonists and no one else matters. (although i will say that Eirka trusting lyon wasnt as dumb as ppl say bc  she was dealing with the emotional trauma but)

Worst Casts:

Awakening's cast is pretty hit or miss as there is way too much quirkiness and while some of the  more silly characters are funny (owain), other's are just weirdos. The villains are all trash except for Mustafa and the main characters are your typical boring young idealistic nobles. And keeping Emmeryn and Gangrel alive was a terrible decision (im not totally happy with Basilio escaping death either) because it belittled them and severely weakened the writing as it simply made no sense. (If the spotpass turns out to not be canon ill retract that statement though). Awakening has some real charm and witty writing sometimes but other times completely drops the ball and its cast is another example of that. 

Fates's cast is the worst out of all the Fire Emblem's I've played. At least Awakening had SOME lovable charming characters but Fates has little to none and the ridiculousness of some of the characters is infuriating. The villain's are all terrible, uber evil hacks who are actually being controlled by anankos but nothing really matters because the plot makes no sense. Story Xander is complete trash I'll never forgive him for killig the best fates sibling, Elise. There were a few characters that i didn't hate or dislike, but there was no one i really liked. Also the incorporation of the Awakening clones in birthright was terrible and the awakening characters in conquest left alot to be desired (their presense is actually really important but they do nothing). The Conquest cast is defintely better than birthright's cast but their both terrible.     

The Binding Blade's cast, while not as bad as the two above, is still pretty garbage. Out of all the fire emblem games I've played, Roy is by far the worst Lord from a story and gameplay perspective (and he got rng screwed on my playthrough to so is strength and speed were total trash). He has no personality, no charisma, and no talent. The only reason why he's the leader of this army is because his dad is sick. Like seriously this kid looks 12 is he old enough to lead an army maybe marcus should handle it. Merlinus has lost alot of his charm (and use) from when he was young and makes constant stupid interjections that are only there to make Roy look not completely stupid by comparison. While there are a some really interesting characters the pervasive blandness among this cast is surpassed only by the uselessness (seriously the maker's of this game must be firm believers in quantity over quality).

Fe 7> Fe 15 > Fe 9> Fe 8> Fe 6> Fe 13 > Fe 14

I havent gotten to Radiant dawn yet so i cant really judge it but from what ive heard its POR characters plus poorly developed dawn brigade so it would probably go after fe 8. I honestly have no idea about Jugdral's casts because ive heard very mixed things about them and havent played there games (please remake them soon IS) than we have marth's cast which from what ive heard and seen might be last or second to last.

52 minutes ago, thedman975 said:

Roy is by far the worst Lord from a story and gameplay perspective (and he got rng screwed on my playthrough to so is strength and speed were total trash). He has no personality, no charisma, and no talent.

Alright, whether or not you like Roy as a character, i'm not even gonna get into because it's all subjective but to say that he has no personality, charisma, or talent is factually incorrect. About a year ago, a thread was made asking which Lord you would follow into battle (basically which Lord is the best leader). Most people chose Roy for very valid reasons. I recommend you go read that thread.

22 hours ago, thedman975 said:

Fire Emblem 8's cast is pretty good, they have alot of charm and their relationships really strengthen each other. The supports are pretty hit or miss but overall good as some characters have way more depth than you expect (garcia, forde) and the quircky characters in this game are hilarious (L'archel and her squad are amazing). I dont dislike any of the characters and there are a few i really really like. Some of the villains in this game are really good and my biggest problem with this game's cast is the fact that some of them are severely hurt depending on which route you take (joshua, selena). Also Ephraim and Eirika are charming but they dont really develop as much as they should like its really interesting that when they return to renais the ppl dont actually like them but it doesnt affect them so it kind of makes the citizens seem irrevelant and unimportant which makes it seem like the whole world revolves around the protagonists and no one else matters. (although i will say that Eirka trusting lyon wasnt as dumb as ppl say bc  she was dealing with the emotional trauma but)

I disagree with most of this - outside of L'arachel, frankly, most of the Sacred Stones cast was either forgettable, bland, or made me want to roll my eyes... and the villains were hurt by a clear case of quantity over quality (ergo, villain overload; it ain't enough that we have the Grado generals, but we also have Orson, Vigarde, the Demon King, and Lyon as well; even if they weren't, I fail to see what's so good about Orson or the new generals that Vigarde added to his Imperial Three). For these, and other reasons, I think that Sacred Stones's cast is the weakest outside of Archanea. As for Eirika, I'll just say that I think your explanation's flimsy and unacceptable.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I think the main prob with Roy is, all he does is discuss the current situation in every conversation he's in and that's it. No emotions, no changes just discussing the current situation. This makes him pretty boring...in my opinion that is.

48 minutes ago, Ginger567 said:

I think the main prob with Roy is, all he does is discuss the current situation in every conversation he's in and that's it. No emotions, no changes just discussing the current situation. This makes him pretty boring...in my opinion that is.

I think that has a lot to do with the style of storytelling the game uses. Binding blade is still chained to the old model used in Shadow dragon and Genealogy where most cutscenes are just the lord talking with his adviser in the most recently conquered castle. The presentation is kinda stale because of it.

But binding blade also tries to escape it from time to time. Thing of the little confrontation between Narcian and Roy in Ostia for example. 

Best: Blazing Blade, Path of Radiance and Shadows of Valentia. 

Blazing Blade and Path of Radiance managed to make large casts very likeable. It amuses me to no end to compare characters like Canas to later book worms like Miriel and note the stark difference in the writing quality. Path of Radiance loses out a bit, thanks to Ilyana(AKA the Awakening/Fates character trapped in a Tellius game), but the writing quality is overall on par with Blazing. Shadows of Valentia reaches potentially a higher quality with a smaller cast, and the actual quality of the VA probably elevated the characters to me. The fact that nobody really felt like they were putting on an "anime voice" like with Fates and Awakening helped a lot. 

Mid tier: FE3/12, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10

FE4 did a lot with its first gen. The second gen felt very lazy and copy-paste by comparison. It's a mixed bag. 

FE3/12 and 5 do an admirable level of characterization with the amount of actual character dialog they put in the game. You can generally get a feel for unique characters by the handfuls of dialogue they get, but the lack of supports and character moments stops the characters from being fleshed out. I'm sure of these games had supports there'd be quite a few great characters in there, as opposed to the small handful who get fleshed out through the stories. FE5 gets some extra points for the weird, out of character for the franchise focus it gives the villains. FE5 takes a lot of time to flesh out one-off villains for some reason. 

FE6 is a bland cast. But you have supports, so you can at least find out WHY they're so bland. 

8's is a solid, if a bit unremarkable, cast. Of all the trash I'll talk about SS, characters aren't what I'll trash talk. They did a decent job here, they're just not my favorite. 

10 is basically just PoR again, but dragged down by the nothings that are the Dawn Brigade. 

Dishonorable mention: Fates

Don't know why everyone seems to say that Fates is just a more obnoxious Awakening cast. I found the Fates cast far more down to earth and rounded than the Awakening cast, and I found that they tried to do more interesting things with their characters. But there are some insanely bad low points to the casts. IE Birthright Xander, Peri, the whole Soliel debacle, Conquest Takumi being a goddamn cockroach, and then the straight up Awakening characters/reincarnations that had no reason to be there. And the less said about the story villains, the better. 

Absolute worst: FE1/11 and Awakening

Shadow Dragon has Marth. That's about it for solidly defined characters in the cast. It honestly makes the games incredibly hard to play with how stilted and sterile the characters feel. FE11's character art doesn't help, where every character looks like a homonculous that spent a little too much time in the vat of goo they spawned from. 

Awakening is gimmick hell. One thing I've absolutely come to hate in character writing is the way that shounen anime series handle secondary comic relief characters. 90% OF THE CAST FEELS LIKE SECONDARY COMIC RELIEF FROM SHOUNEN ANIME. And there's a reason these types are usually only shown sparingly and shown interacting with the actual main characters that have some dimensions to them: If you were to ever see these secondary comic relief characters talk to each other, you'd get dumb bullshit like 

"Hehe, carrots." 

"But candy tho." 

Which is EXACTLY what Gaius and Panne's supports boil down to for 4 goddamn conversations. I can't go over how much I hate Gaius... Or Tharja... Or Kellam... Oh God Kellam. His entire existence in the army makes me think less of everyone in the army. His character is a flatout joke. And not only is it a bad joke, it's a joke that makes no goddamn sense. Kellam is a hometown hero. So obviously people outside of the Shepherds acknowledge his existence. So why the fuck does nobody in the army realize he's there most of the time? It makes the whole army come across as a group of assholes who don't bother to acknowledge their friend/comrade. All for the sake of a stupid joke that runs itself into the ground by the second time it happens. Let alone the 50th. There are some decent characters in there. I like Lissa, Severa's a decent kid-type, and Henry is just Peri's gimmick, but handled by somebody self-aware enough to stop just before making Henry a downright murderer... But damn near everything else, man. Jesus Christ. 

Edited by Slumber

On December 21, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Skylorella Con said:

Best

My favourite cast of characters are Obviously from Tellius.

The Tellius cast is pretty gimmick free. Its their past's, personalities and relations with each other that determine how they act. I loved how every support and base conversation were plot revelent, rather then bs supports only directed at Pies, Crows, candy, stalking, Unrequited love etc looking at you Awakening. 

Every character felt so unique and real and I just couldn't help but love each and every one of them (except a few). It also features the largest amount of plot relevant characters and by the time you reach the end of Rd, you've been with these characters for 60 to 70 hours including both Tellius games.

Worst

The worst is easily Shadow dragons, Awakening and binding blade.

I like Tellius and all, but to be frank, I can't really say it's cast is gimmick free when the likes of Mia, Makalov, and Kieran exist.. Even Awakening and Fates characters manage to be more interesting than them. Second, the Radiant Dawn newcomers just got shafted.

from the 3 i played (awakening, fates, echoes) i go with echoes hands down!

Most characters were likable and obviously there were characters i didn'tcare but nobody rubbed me the wrong way... The voice acting helped so much bringing them to life and add more layers to their characters... i absolutely love catria's, Mae's and berkut's VA! No one felt like just a trope character because they had more layers.. for example Delthea could easily be dismissed as a loli bait but she gets more attention by the writers...

Awakening and fates while they had good characters they had a lot of characters feellike moving tropes.. which was emphasized by the fact that while everyone could speak with everyone their discussions were 90% of that same characteristic trait!

3 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I like Tellius and all, but to be frank, I can't really say it's cast is gimmick free when the likes of Mia, Makalov, and Kieran exist.. Even Awakening and Fates characters manage to be more interesting than them. Second, the Radiant Dawn newcomers just got shafted.

I think its a matter of balance. A couple of wacky characters can help color a more serious cast. The characters from Tellius are a carried bunch so there's room for at least some weirdo's. In the end the more serious and nuance Tellius characters vastly outnumber those with gimmicks while in the newer games its the other way around. 

16 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I like Tellius and all, but to be frank, I can't really say it's cast is gimmick free when the likes of Mia, Makalov, and Kieran exist.. Even Awakening and Fates characters manage to be more interesting than them.

I did mention, It's gimmick free with a few exceptions. A few underwhelming characters here and there can't ruin an entire cast of, probably the most well-written characters in Fe as a whole.

On 24/12/2017 at 11:39 PM, Slumber said:

Best: Blazing Blade, Path of Radiance and Shadows of Valentia. 

Blazing Blade and Path of Radiance managed to make large casts very likeable. It amuses me to no end to compare characters like Canas to later book worms like Miriel and note the stark difference in the writing quality. Path of Radiance loses out a bit, thanks to Ilyana(AKA the Awakening/Fates character trapped in a Tellius game), but the writing quality is overall on par with Blazing. Shadows of Valentia reaches potentially a higher quality with a smaller cast, and the actual quality of the VA probably elevated the characters to me. The fact that nobody really felt like they were putting on an "anime voice" like with Fates and Awakening helped a lot. 

Mid tier: FE3/12, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10

FE4 did a lot with its first gen. The second gen felt very lazy and copy-paste by comparison. It's a mixed bag. 

FE3/12 and 5 do an admirable level of characterization with the amount of actual character dialog they put in the game. You can generally get a feel for unique characters by the handfuls of dialogue they get, but the lack of supports and character moments stops the characters from being fleshed out. I'm sure of these games had supports there'd be quite a few great characters in there, as opposed to the small handful who get fleshed out through the stories. FE5 gets some extra points for the weird, out of character for the franchise focus it gives the villains. FE5 takes a lot of time to flesh out one-off villains for some reason. 

FE6 is a bland cast. But you have supports, so you can at least find out WHY they're so bland. 

8's is a solid, if a bit unremarkable, cast. Of all the trash I'll talk about SS, characters aren't what I'll trash talk. They did a decent job here, they're just not my favorite. 

10 is basically just PoR again, but dragged down by the nothings that are the Dawn Brigade. 

Dishonorable mention: Fates

Don't know why everyone seems to say that Fates is just a more obnoxious Awakening cast. I found the Fates cast far more down to earth and rounded than the Awakening cast, and I found that they tried to do more interesting things with their characters. But there are some insanely bad low points to the casts. IE Birthright Xander, Peri, the whole Soliel debacle, Conquest Takumi being a goddamn cockroach, and then the straight up Awakening characters/reincarnations that had no reason to be there. And the less said about the story villains, the better. 

Absolute worst: FE1/11 and Awakening

Shadow Dragon has Marth. That's about it for solidly defined characters in the cast. It honestly makes the games incredibly hard to play with how stilted and sterile the characters feel. FE11's character art doesn't help, where every character looks like a homonculous that spent a little too much time in the vat of goo they spawned from. 

Awakening is gimmick hell. One thing I've absolutely come to hate in character writing is the way that shounen anime series handle secondary comic relief characters. 90% OF THE CAST FEELS LIKE SECONDARY COMIC RELIEF FROM SHOUNEN ANIME. And there's a reason these types are usually only shown sparingly and shown interacting with the actual main characters that have some dimensions to them: If you were to ever see these secondary comic relief characters talk to each other, you'd get dumb bullshit like 

"Hehe, carrots." 

"But candy tho." 

Which is EXACTLY what Gaius and Panne's supports boil down to for 4 goddamn conversations. I can't go over how much I hate Gaius... Or Tharja... Or Kellam... Oh God Kellam. His entire existence in the army makes me think less of everyone in the army. His character is a flatout joke. And not only is it a bad joke, it's a joke that makes no goddamn sense. Kellam is a hometown hero. So obviously people outside of the Shepherds acknowledge his existence. So why the fuck does nobody in the army realize he's there most of the time? It makes the whole army come across as a group of assholes who don't bother to acknowledge their friend/comrade. All for the sake of a stupid joke that runs itself into the ground by the second time it happens. Let alone the 50th. There are some decent characters in there. I like Lissa, Severa's a decent kid-type, and Henry is just Peri's gimmick, but handled by somebody self-aware enough to stop just before making Henry a downright murderer... But damn near everything else, man. Jesus Christ. 

Couldn't have said it better. XD especially the awakening bit. The only thing i would change is putting binding blade in worst tier. Awakening and binding blade is 100% my least fav cast out of all.

On 24/12/2017 at 7:03 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

I think that has a lot to do with the style of storytelling the game uses. Binding blade is still chained to the old model used in Shadow dragon and Genealogy where most cutscenes are just the lord talking with his adviser in the most recently conquered castle. The presentation is kinda stale because of it.

But binding blade also tries to escape it from time to time. Thing of the little confrontation between Narcian and Roy in Ostia for example. 

Well you do have a point there. :| 

Binding Blade - A relatively by the numbers cast, but there are a few characters I liked quite a bit, with Niime being a definite favorite who ranks pretty high on my "favorite characters" list. However, it's held back by a lot of plain personalities and some unlikeable characters like Cath. Even though there are fewer supports than in games like Awakening and Fates, there's also a lot of repetition - even if you like Raigh, you don't need every support to affirm that he's actually a good guy deep down.

Bonus points for doing a bit more than the bare minimum to humanize the villains though; that's always appreciated.

Blazing Blade - Definitely on the low end for me. Not only is the list of characters I don't enjoy rather long, but the ones I'm very fond of are few as well. The weak story and villains negatively impact the protagonists and a few others to an extent as well. The very setting of Blazing Blade works against it as well, and I can't help but feel that it tries to be darker than it should be, which ends up backfiring on multiple occasions.

Sacred Stones - Pretty solid. Joshua, Knoll, Duessel, Lyon, etc. are all strong characters with interesting arcs. There are a few guys I always forget about, but really, that is to be expected. Minus points for the two most boring lords in the series though.

Tellius - Top tier. A few poor members like Illyana are not enough to detract from the sheer awesomeness of so many of them. Soren, Skrimir, Reyson, and Sanaki are all among my favorite characters in the series. Lots of minor characters have an input in what's going on in the story, especially thanks to the base conversation system. Of all the games, this cast feels the most rooted in its world, which along with the good worldbuilding helps make Tellius come alive to a much higher extent than any other Fire Emblem world.

Awakening - I really like it. There are many poor decisions in how the support system was handled, some character introductions don't make for a good first impression and some cast members are dull as all get out, but overall I think the characters are intriguing and entertaining. There are hidden depths to most characters, and the supports can range from tearjerkers to being very funny, which is a nice spread. The DLC also offers some great charaterization and great support-like dialogues. 

Fates - Bottom tier. There are quite a few characters I enjoy, but there are far more I either find dull as dirt or downright horribly written, like Camilla, Setsuna, Peri, Xander, Azura and Corrin. It doesn't help that they shoved the kid system into a game where the story wasn't built around it, and as such the first generation comes across as callous while the second one has no place being there and their personalities are mostly either straight up copied or just...there. No game has made me as angry and confused as Fates, and it's not a good sign when I actively would've preferred a large chunk of the cast - especially the main characters - to straight up lose or disappear entirely.

Fates also has the worst villains, beating out even Blazing Blade, and the DLC actually manage to make the Awakening trio - which shouldn't even have been there in the first place - come across as complete and utter idiots. Unlike its 3DS bretheren, further additions to Fates only manage to make it worse.

Shadows of Valentia - It's alright. There are very few supports and some of them are...mundane, for the lack of a better word. It has its stars, like Lukas, and its monstrosities, like Faye, Alm, and Celica. The story DLC, while it should've been a part of the base game, helped improving Forsyth, Python, Lukas, and Fernand in particular, which is also a bonus to consider. I couldn't stand Python before that DLC, since he was the typical lol lazy genius who speaks the truth - that's so me! He's my spirit animal xDD! but after it I got a much better grasp of his character and found him pretty darn charming.

Edited by Thane

13 hours ago, Ginger567 said:

Couldn't have said it better. XD especially the awakening bit. The only thing i would change is putting binding blade in worst tier. Awakening and binding blade is 100% my least fav cast out of all.

I can't put FE6 down with Awakening or Fates. It's a bleh cast, but it's not AS bad as those, or as bleh as FE1/11.

FE6 doesn't have Gaius, Tharja, Kellam, Vaike, Nowi, Peri, Xander, Takumi, Camilla, Soleil, Caeldori, Rhajat, Asugi, Odin, Laslow or Selena. I mean, it has Lalum, but that's as close as it gets.

And it at least has some neat designs. And Echidna, Niime, Igrene and Yoder are cool.

Edited by Slumber

11 hours ago, Slumber said:

I can't put FE6 down with Awakening or Fates. It's a bleh cast, but it's not AS bad as those, or as bleh as FE1/11.

FE6 doesn't have Gaius, Tharja, Kellam, Vaike, Nowi, Peri, Xander, Takumi, Camilla, Soleil, Caeldori, Rhajat, Asugi, Odin, Laslow or Selena. I mean, it has Lalum, but that's as close as it gets.

And it at least has some neat designs. And Echidna, Niime, Igrene and Yoder are cool.

That's fair XD