Which Starters did you Choose?

Rex Glacies

Which starters did you choose for each of the games you played? For me, in order of generation of Pokemon, not game:

Spoiler

Leafgreen: Charmander

Heart Gold: Cyndaquil

Ruby: I played many times, but Mudkip was the one I usually settled with.
Omega Ruby: Treecko.

Pearl: Chimchar
Platinum: I actually traded with Pearl, reset, and ended with all three.

White: My first playthrough was Snivy, then I reset and used Oshawott
White 2: Tepig

Y: Fennekin

Sun: Rowlet
Ultra Moon/Sun: I haven't gotten it yet, but I think I'll go with Popplio.

Edited by Rex Glacies

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoiler

• Yellow: Pikachu (and I tell you, I've never benched him from my team!)
    • Red/Blue: Bulbasaur
    • Gold/Silver: Chikorita
    • Ruby/Sapphire: Treecko
    • Firered/Leafgreen: Charmander
    • Diamond/Pearl: Turtwig
    • HeartGold/SoulSilver: Totodile
    • Black/White: Snivy
    • X/Y: Chespin
    • OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire: Mudkip
    • Sun/Moon: Rowlet
    • UltraSun/UltraMoon: Litten

So the pattern is pretty clear. I always do grass on the first playthrough of a new generation. It wasn't a conscious thing until I looked back and noticed it as X and Y were coming out. And in general, the grass starters have always been my consistent favorite of each group. Bulbasaur was my favorite pokemon of all time until Decidueye knocked him from the thrown last year. The only honorable mentions of non grass types are that Piplup is an adorable, goofy looking creature. And Totodile seems really jolly as well.

Bet you didn't expect to see me have an answer for this, didja?

The only one I've played any of is X, and I went with Chespin, because it's doofy and cute. HOWEVER, for fun, I'll list who I'd probably go with for the other games as well, based mostly on looks:

Spoiler

Gen 1: Squirtle, no question. Best Pokémon in Brawl by far.

Gen 2: Cyndaquil, it looks like a jolly fellow. Though this is probably the least interesting set of starters to me, which made picking one a bit difficult.

Gen 3: Torchic, it starts out cute, but ends up looking awesome.

Gen 4: Piplup, because penguin.

Gen 5: This ones kinda tough, two of them look great, but I think Snivy probably wins. Oshawott looks adorable in its first two versions, but it's final evolution doesn't look as interesting, while Snivy looks neat in all of its versions.

Gen 7: Litten, it's adorable! I haven't seen these starters before, but Litten wins easily, though Rowlet is alright too.

So, it looks like I'm pretty equal type-wise, with Fire having a slight lead of 3 to 2 and 2. Neat!

Firered- venusaur 

Pearl- Infernape

Platinum- torterra

Heartgold- meganium

Black- Serperior

White 2- Samurott

Y- Chesnaught

Alpha Sapphire- All three, I've used them all equally, can't choose.

Sun- Primarina

Ultra sun- Primarina

Gen 1: Bulbasaur almost every time. I just have the most fun with it.

Gen 2: I don't usually keep my starter, but the first time I played Silver I exclusively used my Feraligatr.

Gen 3: Mudkip. I don't like Sceptile hardly at all and I think Kickin Chicken is overrated

Gen 4: I picked Piplup the first time, I think? But most recently I remember picking Chimchar.

Gen 5: I think I chose Tepig but I benched him before long.

Gen 6: Fennekin in the one playthrough I did of XY.

Gen 7: Popplio, the first time. When I get USUM I don't know who I'll pick, but I'll end up benching it anyway so it doesn't matter.

I'm not really into the "your first Pokemon should stay on your team the whole time" thing.

Red - Squirtle

Silver - Cyndaquil

Sapphire - Mudkip

Emerald - Treecko

Mystery Dungeon Red   - Squirtle + Cyndaquil partner

Coloseum - Croconaw (not strictly a starter choice since you get the unchosen two later in the game)

XD - Vaporeon (if you count the early evolution stone choice as a starter- I evolved right away in my playthrough)

Pearl - Chimchar

Black - Oshawott

After this point I switched strictly to simulator play and avoided Pokemon as an RPG, so I've never played the other games. 

I've replayed Red / Blue / Silver / Gold (crystal's battery died too early) with all three starters. Have never revisited other games.

Gen 1 - Bulbasaur - The little guy was so cool! I remember spamming bullet seed in smash all the time as Ivysaur.  By far my favorite of the three to play as.  Plus, the mega evolution gets thick fat, which is great ability for Bulbasaur!

Gen 2 - Chikorita - Chikorita was absolutely adorable and loved it!

Gen 3 - Torchic - Started out cute and turned really BA.  An actual speed demon!

Gen 4 - Piplup - This little guy carried me throughout Pearl.  Empoleon is still one of my favorite pokemon

Gen 5 - Oshawott - Samurott was really freaking cool and I loved the ninja/samurai thing going on with him. Snivy is a close second though

Gen 6 - Fennekin - I really liked the typing with a fire/psychic countering the many many MANY fire/fighting starters

Gen 7 - Poplio - I really like Primarina, best type matching of the three and it reminds me of Azura

Red: Charmander

Silver: All three as I did the cloning glitch

Emerald: Mudkip

Leaf Green: Bulbasaur

Platinum: Chimchar

SoulSilver: Totodile

White: Tepig

Black 2: Oshawott

Y: Froakie

Omega Ruby: Treecko

Sun: Litten

Ultra Sun when I get it: Rowlet most likely.

That Chimchar was the first Pokemon I chose, and I now have it on my Sun file.

Red: Charmander
Gold: Cyndaquil
Ruby: Kung-fu Chicken Torchic
Sapphire: Mudkip
Black: Tepig
X: Fennekin
Y: Chespin
Omega Ruby: Treecko
Alpha Sapphire: Mudkip
Ultra Moon: Rowlet

Not counting all the unsusal runs I've done where my starter is Sneasel or something.

Original Firered (1st game): Squirtle

Restarted firered (restarted as pokedex for heartgold and the fact my blastoise couldn't beat the first lite four member at level 100): Bulbasaur

Ruby: Mudkip

Emerald: Mudkip

Pearl: Chimchar

Platinum: Infernape

Heartgold: Cyndaquil

Soulsilver: Chikorita

Black: Tepig

White 2: Tepig

X/Y: Greninja

Alpha Sapphire: Treecko

Omega Ruby: Mudkip

Sun: Rowlet

Yellow: Pikachu

Whenever I get ultra sun/moon: IDK tbh, never thought of it, probably Rowlet again.

Also have to finish yelllow, ruby, emerald and start Gold, Silver, and Blue

Out of all of these besides my original blastoise (may you rest in peace since you got deleted, why did I teach you surf and not have the bright idea to look up where the move deleter was is beyond me, all I remember is crying a lot due to you) the one I'm most attached to is my Platinum Infernape, still on that file as I mostly never transfer, though I can since I do have the capability to, but I never will as Platinum is still my 2nd favorite game of all time.

Mostly Fire and Grass starters, but occasionally Water ones too.

Kanto: Used to be Bulbasaur, but now it's Squirtle

Johto: Cyndaquil

Hoenn: Treecko

Sinnoh: CHIMCHAR

Unova: Snivy

Kalos: Fennekin

Alola: POPPLIO

Chimchar and Popplio are my top favs.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Mostly Fire and Grass starters, but occasionally Water ones too.

Kanto: Used to be Bulbasaur, but now it's Squirtle

Johto: Cyndaquil

Hoenn: Treecko

Sinnoh: CHIMCHAR

Unova: Snivy

Kalos: Fennekin

Alola: POPPLIO

Chimchar and Popplio are my top favs.

POPPLIO IS BEST ALOLA STARTER!!

Just now, DisobeyedCargo said:

POPPLIO IS BEST ALOLA STARTER!!

Yes it is! Rowlet is meh imo and Litten is cute but it got stuck with an awful final evolution imo. Popplio is cute and got the loveliest evolutions I ever saw. From the moment I first saw Primarina in that one leak, it became one of my favorite Pokemon ever because of how beautiful it is!

Ironically, I thought Popplio looked rather stupid and silly at first. But its design grew on me over time and then Primarina showed up in that leak. :P

LeafGreen- Bulbasaur

SoulSilver- CHikorita

Ruby/OR- Treecko

Platinum- Turtwig

White- Snivy

Black 2- Oshawott

Y- Chespin

Moon- Rowlett

I'll go in order that I played them, going with only the first of the games I played within a pair. I also have yet to play Gen 2 in it's original form, as I'm now waiting on Crystal for VC.

Emerald: Treecko

Diamond: Chimchar

Platinum: Turtwig

MD EOS: First playthrough Mudkip/Treecko, most recent (and the time I actually beat the game) Shinx/Eevee

Can I just say that Eevee is an ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE partner? Permanent Run Away on a glass cannon is just so awful.

Heartgold: Totodile

Firered: Squirtle

White: Snivy

Black 2: Also Snivy

X: Froakie

ORuby: Treecko

Blue: Squirtle

USun: Rowlett

I'd be putting Ranger 2 on the list as well for funsies, but it's been so long I honestly can't remember what I picked to start with.

Edited by Emerson

Gen 1: Bulbasaur

Gen 2: Chikorita

Gen 3: Torchic

Gen 4: Piplup

Gen 5: Snivy

Gen 6: Fennekin

Gen 7: Popplio

Sometimes I choose a different starter like Oshawott or any of the Kanto starters, but these are the ones I generally stick to.

Why I chose a starter have changed since first time I played Pokémon. Nowaday, I look at all the Pokémon available, and compare the starter to other Fire, Water, or Grass type before chosing, since my starter will be the only Fire, Water, or Grass Pokémon of my team. (and maybe second type.)

Red/Blue : I dont remember but probably Bulbasaur for easy early game. Or Squirtle.

Yellow : Pikachu, ofc (and indeed I kept it until the end.)

Gold/Silver : Can't remember

Crystal : I completed it many time, but I went with Totodile, sicne it's the one Marina/Crystal uses on the Legend of Raikou

Sapphire : Mudkip

Emerald : I used them all eventually, but the last one is Torchic apparently

Diamond : Turtwig, but I ende up benching Torterra for the elite 4, sicne it wasn't good enough

HeartGlod : Cyndaquil. First pokémon I nicknamed (Goldie), first time I went with a Female Starter. 

White : Oshawott. I would have went with Snivy, but I don't like my starter to share its (main) type with another Pokémon, and really wanted to get Sawsbuck. ANd Tepig was my last favourite.

Black : Snivy, this time.

White 2 : Oshawott. I lost my white cartridge in the meantime, so I had to get it back

Black 2 : Tepig, finally.

X : Chespin, then Charmander. Actually Chespin, because Charmander/Mega Charizard X (and Crawlitzer)

Moon : Litten. 

Ultra Sun : I was thinking of getting Popplio at first, but I precommanded US, and there was a Rowlett figurine offered with it, so I went with Rowlett. 

Edited by Tamanoir

Red: squirtle (I think)
Gold: Chikorita (First game, so first starter, which means he solo'd the game!)
Saphire: Torchic (Fire is cool)
Leaf Green: Charmander (for difficulty I think)
Emerald: Torchic (still the best)
Pearl: Chimchar (I like fire starters)
Platinum: Piplup (already got a Turtwig somewhere, so I only still needed this one)
Heart Gold: Chikorita (Nothing beats nostalgia)
Black: Tepig (Fire types still rock)

So yeah, after an uncertain start, I always picked fire types, unless I had good reasons not to. Didn't play some of the newer games though.

Oh, I forgot ORAS. Welp, this is such a disappointment so I try not to think too mucha about it.

First Treecko, then Mudkip on restart (my team was overleveled), then restarted once again (Marshtomp destroyed everything in his pace.) with Torchic (but i used the shiny HA ones from X intead.) Starters are a little too good in this game, so I try to play with mediocre mons (many many ones) in order to have a minimum of challenge.

Edited by Tamanoir