Best and Worst Lord.  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Best Lord?

• Marth (Shadow Dragon/New Mystery of the Emblem.)
    • Alm. (Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.)
    • Celica. (Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.)
    • Sigurd. (Genealogy of the Holy War.)
    • Seliph. (Genealogy of the Holy War.)
    • Leif (Thracia 776.)
    • Roy. (Binding Blade.)
    • Eliwood. (Blazing Sword.)
    • Hector. (Blazing Sword.)
    • Lyn. (Blazing Sword.)
    • Eirika. (Sacred Stones.)
    • Ephraim. (Sacred Stones.)
    • Ike. (Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn.)
    • Micaiah. (Radiant Dawn.)
    • Kris. (New Mystery of the Emblem.)
    • Chrom. (Awakening.)
    • Lucina. (Awakening.)
    • Robin. (Awakening.)
    • Corrin. (Fates.)
  2. 2. Who is the Worst Lord?

• Marth. (Shadow Dragon/New Mystery of the Emblem.)
    • Alm. (Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.)
    • Celica. (Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.)
    • Sigurd. (Genealogy of the Holy War.)
    • Seliph. (Genealogy of the Holy War.)
    • Leif. (Thracia 776.)
    • Roy. (Binding Blade.)
    • Eliwood. (Blazing Sword.)
    • Hector. (Blazing Sword.)
    • Lyn. (Blazing Sword.)
    • Eirika. (Sacred Stones.)
    • Ephraim. (Sacred Stones.)
    • Ike. (Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn.)
    • Micaiah. (Radiant Dawn.)
    • Kris. (New Mystery of the Emblem.)
    • Chrom. (Awakening.)
    • Lucina. (Awakening.)
    • Robin. (Awakening.)
    • Corrin. (Fates.)

This thread has no business being in the draft subforum...

Anyway, worst is Sigurd for being associated with one of my absolute least favorite FE games. There's also nothing to like about him - in other words, he's black as pitch. Best... isn't so easy. I'll just say Corrin, I guess.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I put Leif as the best - it's mostly because of the interaction with Dorias / August, but still.

Only other lords I like as much are Eliwood and Marth.

Some people think that Eliwood is given a happier ending than he deserved, but I think it's justifed because it is supposed to be tempered by player knowledge of his early death due to FE7's prequel status. Marth is mostly because of his range in FE3 , FE11 , and FE13 - When he is unsecure he doesn't go into full shinji whiner terriotry, and when he is putting the country before all he is not doing it because of empty sentimentality  like Revelations Xander. He's also vert comfortable to me because of how elementary he is, as if he was being used as an example in the Golden Bough or Hero With a Thousand Faces

I really don't think Kris is that bad, but I don't really want to bother yelling into the echo chamber.

I have to say that Corrin is the worst. I don't really like Alm / Celica / Lyn that much either, and I find Seliph / Roy almost totally unmemorable. 

I dislike Corrin because he forces everyone to like him upon first meeting them, to the point that once people have joined their cult they will defend his actions even if it puts them at odds with people they have known longer than him (such as family members). All who go against the will of Corrin are presented as if they were doing somethign transparently wrong. Finally, Corrin successfully conquers a country , and after killing the royal family, channels their ghosts to force them to admit that it wasn't Corrin's fault. 

* I know that wasn't the intent of the writers, but the story is so annoying and over-willing to validate the player, that I actually prefer to see it as a cartoony horror story.

Alm I dislike because him being a Royal makes the original conceit of him being a villager ruined, AND it weakens Rudolf's human 's self determination vs Godly intervention angle due to the melodrama and frankly "camp" of father against son.  Celica I want to like, but the story doesn't give her the respect it deserves..... I have no problem revisting (non FE obviously) stories where Prayer has real power.... It shouldn't be necessary to qualify it with "she's so spirtual that she's now naive and blind to wordly deception as a tradeoff" 

I know a lot of people like Lyn's journey after her grandfather, but I consider her to be awful filler (granted it is the maps/tutorials that really annoy me) However once in the main story she isn't really functional - She can provide unnecesary commentary - Roy already shows unease at Hecotr's use of Matthew as spy / decision to hire pirates for transporatation, so why is there is a need to double dip with Lyn? Lyn also forces comedy with Hector to an unnecessary extent... If it weren't for her teasing the fanbase could probbably enjoy his charather more than seeing him as a "charge first, think later meathead" which EVERYONE but Lyn, is able to see outside of like the very first battles he is in. I mean really... Hector is clearly trying some Scarlet Pimpernel thing to get people to think that he can't understand politics, etc, but it is because he wants them to lower their guard, not because he's totally dumb. 

Seliph's main problem is that the gen 2 villians don't provide very good foils. His other problem is not really displaying plans to find Julius's weakness or any other planning. He just goes from country to country to restore order because he believes that that is right, and it works out for him Because Levin pulled all the strings

Roy has a heartwarming respect for his father, but unfortunately is alternately forced into a spirtual retread of Marth's journey and aimless globetrotting. 

3 minutes ago, Reality said:

* I know that wasn't the intent of the writers, but the story is so annoying and over-willing to validate the player, that I actually prefer to see it as a cartoony horror story.

The writers really screwed it over.

3 minutes ago, Reality said:

Alm I dislike because him being a Royal makes the original conceit of him being a villager ruined

Yeah, but it can't be helped. Kaga tends to make sure that lords are always royalty by blood. But it does sort of ruin the concept of how it matters not if you are royal or common, when Alm is royalty in the end. 

6 minutes ago, Reality said:

I put Leif as the best - it's mostly because of the interaction with Dorias / August, but still.

Only other lords I like as much are Eliwood and Marth.

Some people think that Eliwood is given a happier ending than he deserved, but I think it's justifed because it is supposed to be tempered by player knowledge of his early death due to FE7's prequel status. Marth is mostly because of his range in FE3 , FE11 , and FE13 - When he is unsecure he doesn't go into full shinji whiner terriotry, and when he is putting the country before all he is not doing it because of empty sentimentality  like Revelations Xander. He's also vert comfortable to me because of how elementary he is, as if he was being used as an example in the Golden Bough or Hero With a Thousand Faces

I really don't think Kris is that bad, but I don't really want to bother yelling into the echo chamber.

I have to say that Corrin is the worst. I don't really like Alm / Celica / Lyn that much either, and I find Seliph / Roy almost totally unmemorable. 

I dislike Corrin because he forces everyone to like him upon first meeting them, to the point that once people have joined their cult they will defend his actions even if it puts them at odds with people they have known longer than him (such as family members). All who go against the will of Corrin are presented as if they were doing somethign transparently wrong. Finally, Corrin successfully conquers a country , and after killing the royal family, channels their ghosts to force them to admit that it wasn't Corrin's fault. 

Alm I dislike because him being a Royal makes the original conceit of him being a villager ruined, AND it weakens Rudolf's human 's self determination vs Godly intervention angle due to the melodrama and frankly "camp" of father against son.  Celica I want to like, but the story doesn't give her the respect it deserves..... I have no problem revisting (non FE obviously) stories where Prayer has real power.... It shouldn't be necessary to qualify it with "she's so spirtual that she's now naive and blind to wordly deception as a tradeoff" 

I know a lot of people like Lyn's journey after her grandfather, but I consider her to be awful filler (granted it is the maps/tutorials that really annoy me) However once in the main story she isn't really functional - She can provide unnecesary commentary - Roy already shows unease at Hecotr's use of Matthew as spy / decision to hire pirates for transporatation, so why is there is a need to double dip with Lyn? Lyn also forces comedy with Hector to an unnecessary extent... If it weren't for her teasing the fanbase could probbably enjoy his charather more than seeing him as a "charge first, think later meathead" which EVERYONE but Lyn, is able to see outside of like the very first battles he is in. I mean really... Hector is clearly trying some Scarlet Pimpernel thing to get people to think that he can't understand politics, etc, but it is because he wants them to lower their guard, not because he's totally dumb. 

Seliph's main problem is that the gen 2 villians don't provide very good foils. His other problem is not really displaying plans to find Julius's weakness or any other planning. He just goes from country to country to restore order because he believes that that is right, and it works out for him Because Levin pulled all the strings

Roy has a heartwarming respect for his father, but unfortunately is alternately forced into a spirtual retread of Marth's journey and aimless globetrotting. 

Wait, wait, wait, I though Eliwood was just sick in 6, not dead.

Best: Sigurd on Fire Most of them are about the same except for Robin sort of. I pick Robin because he's pretty chill. Best is hard to choose actually, I would consider Eliwood and Chrom as honorable mentions.

Worst: Celica/Corrin - Celica is dumb, and she adds almost nothing to the game, while Corrin is just like a black hole in the plot sucking up all plot points and Corrinfying them, making them all centered towards him, and irrelevant in rationality and logic.

31 minutes ago, Logos said:

Best: Sigurd on Fire 

You mean BBQ Marth?
Fool, the real answer is Narcian, because Narcian is the only true Lord.

31 minutes ago, Logos said:

Worst: Celica

Before FEW I might have argued with that, but now…a diehard pacifist like her Supports paint her to be has literally NO business in that kind of game, disregarding any of the stuff they did wrong with her in SoV.

I can't make a complete and total judgment, but I'll say my favorite and least favorite from the ones I've played through entirely (which isn't very many).

First of all, my choices were Lucina and Corrin, respectively.  Everyone knows their strengths and weaknesses, though, so I don't feel like elaborating there.  I just really like Lucy and really dislike Corrin.  I don't care if people call me a bandwagoner for either.

I personally think my second least favorite is more interesting a discussion point.  No, it isn't Kris.  It's actually Alm.  Now, he's fairly likable in his own right, but the game treats him far too well.  So while he's a nice guy, he's hardly a compelling protagonist.  Not only that, but his counterpart is completely shafted and made to look stupid and foolish in a number of ways, likely to make him look all the more a hero.  There are tricks and tropes in play with the writing that just shape it up to look like he unintentionally "cheated" his way to the crown, so to speak.  No, I'm not saying that he literally did; I'm saying the writers set it up in such a way that the path to the throne lacks any real spark to it.  It just feels like the writers made things easier for him.

As for my second favorite...  I'm gonna have to say it's probably Marth.  I've only played through all the 3DS titles and both DS games all the way, but Math Man has a nice coming of age story for himself.  Chrom does too, but...  I dunno.  Marth's softness just appeals to me more than Chrom's... blunt nature.

Of the lords whose games I haven't played through but I've learned bits about through osmosis... I think I like Ike and Hector.  Maybe a little more rough than my favorites, but they seem like the types of dudes you could have a drink with.  I... don't like what I've heard of Ephraim and Eirika because it almost sounds like another Alm and Celica type of deal.  I haven't gotten too far in 8; just a little past the split.  But yeah, I prefer my characters with flaws, but flaws that aren't exaggerated to stupid lengths needlessly.

Also, I know they're just spin-offs, but can we also judge the Heroes and FEW protagonists?  Maybe as a one-off thing?  Or has that been done already?

3 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Before FEW I might have argued with that, but now…a diehard pacifist like her Supports paint her to be has literally NO business in that kind of game, disregarding any of the stuff they did wrong with her in SoV.

What, you mean to tell me that slashing and burning hundreds (sometimes thousands) of soldiers who can hardly fight back is not something a pacifist would do?

In her own words: “I'm no good after all...”

Ike is the best, awesomest, coolest, and hottest. <3

Lucina is the lord I dislike most. Don't like anything about her period. Corrin is a close second, but at least female Corrin is pleasant to look at (mostly).

Best Lord: Alm. While the guy does somewhat go against SoV's themes, he's got such a wonderful personality, so it's forgiven.

Worst Lord: Sigurd. I'll admit, he has the most flaws out of any Lord. And i appreciate that. But.....i just couldn't care. He felt so bland to me. His Oosawa manga incarnation is much better though.

54 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Before FEW I might have argued with that, but now…a diehard pacifist like her Supports paint her to be has literally NO business in that kind of game

Wasn't FEW Celica based off of her Gaiden incarnation, as opposed to her SoV incarnation?

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

What, you mean to tell me that slashing and burning hundreds (sometimes thousands) of soldiers who can hardly fight back is not something a pacifist would do?

In her own words: “I'm no good after all...”

That just makes it weirder.

36 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Wasn't FEW Celica based off of her Gaiden incarnation, as opposed to her SoV incarnation?

The prominent theory is that she was based on an incomplete SoV build, but we have nothing concrete.

Best: Marth. I'll quote my post from the other Best Lords Thread:

Marth, hands down. I think the Shadow Dragon localization was actually fabulous and goes a long way toward developing Marth's character. "Why do words of such conviction smack of such uncertainty? Not surely, Jagen. Assuredly." Glorious.

Hates to fight but determined to save and serve his people, struggles to keep everyone safe while faced with the hard reality that sometimes, you just can't (Hardin), maintains a hopeful, idealistic, upbeat demeanor in the face of great adversity, Marth is truly the Hero-King.

I think Ike has to come second (PoR Ike is just GREAT and RD Ike is... ok.) but Roy is close.

Worst: Corrin. I don't think that needs much discussion.

And second worst for me is probably Alm, which I know is contentious. I just think he's kind of annoying, esp. in SoV.

Best: Marth

Mainly based on his SD incarnation as FE1/3 don't give him much personality and the personality is pretty generic and NMotE ruins his SD development, but SD saves him enough to be my favourite. He's kind of typical in his 'I don't wanna fight' shtick but he knows he must because he is the prince and that is his duty. I mean he literally says 'I am a prince before a brother and a son' after he finds out his mother is dead and his sister was kidnapped by Gharnef and instead of mourning, like Nyna said he should, he goes out to greet his people after having liberated Altea. There is just so much to like.

A close second is Leif but I've played SD more so I have a bigger attachment to Marth.

Worst: Corrin

This is pretty self explanatory since I'm sure we've all read numerous essays on how bad a character Corrin is. As of late I like her a bit more thanks to Warriors, but she is still my least favourite.

I would have put Kris here, but I don't consider them a lord. I consider them more of a tumor that ruins what should be my favourite FE game.

Edited by Azz

Leaf is easily the best lord in the series. He's a pretty strong leader and he has solid character development. He's a very likable character. Second best lord for me has to be Sigurd. By far the worst has to be Corrin. Some people may say that Corrin was unique for being young and naive and that makes him better but honestly Seliph and Roy did this better already too. 

Edited by edgelordweeaboo

Best:

Best is definitely Ike. Kind, Strong, cheeky, stubborn, short tempered and not to mention his amazing growing phase and up coming story. Absolutely adore him.

Honourable mention:

Hector, Micaiah and Eliwood

Worst:

For worst I voted Marth but a dishonorable mention also goes to Corrin, Lucina, Chrom and Roy for being absolutely bland Lords.

Edited by Skylorella Con

• 4 weeks later...

Ike, or more specifically, PoR Ike. I really like the fact that he is not some prince or dragon person or child of fate or whatever. He's just a dude who is *really* good with a sword. 

As for the worst... Yea, easily Corrin. Just... UGH.

Holmes is best lord. 

Why do I feel like I've seen this a million times?

Best means different things to different people. Ike is the only lord in the series with any character development, so there's that. (Honorable mention to Leif) Some people don't care about this, and go with their favorite lord instead. Big deal. 

Oh, another one.

I've said it a million times and I don't want to sound like a broken record, so...Marth is the best lord. Shout outs to Roy and Eliwood, though.

Corrin is the worst lord, followed by Ike.

Best was hard to pick as there are several I enjoy a lot, in the end I went with Hector as I thoroughly enjoy how he's written. I like his design and he's  the only axe lord in the series. Some honorable mentions are of course Ike, Sigurd, Seliph, Leif, and Alm

Worst lord was easier to pick it was between Kris and Corrin in the end I went with Kris for while Corrin is a very poorly written and portrayed character (the same can be said of the rest of Fates' story and cast combined) he is the intended lord of the game. While Kris on the other hand is not the intended lord but he steals the spotlight and show away from not only Marth WHO IS the intended lord but original supporting characters such as Jaigan. In summary I dislike both very similarly but felt a little more animosity towards Kris today. Most of the time when I dislike a lord it's usually because they are a poor unit (e.g. Micaiha vs almost every other unit in the game) out of all the lords in the series there are only a few that I have a dislike and distaste for and both Corrin and Kris are in that case.

Best: Ike; no contest. Excellent as a character and as a unit. Offers a unique perspective from other FE lords by being a peasant, rather than nobility/royalty. Awesome unique 1-2 range sword. What's not to love about his character? He's even a catalyst for character development in others throughout the story; especially for Elincia and Soren. 

Worst: Corrin; no question. Being the first manakete lord is cool, though underused. And that's where positives end. I'll admit, a lot of Corrin's faults are due to him being a victim of Fates' bad writing. But he's still bad.

If not Corrin... then Alm. I love the fact that we have a left-handed lord, but again, that's where positives end. He's a bland character, who steals the spotlight when Alm and Celica should've been equal. 

Also, why is Kris on this list? Kris isn't really a lord, is he/she?

Disclaimer: I've only played Sacred Stones, the Tellius games, Awakening, Fates, and Echoes

Best: Micaiah. She's very different from all the others which sets her apart immediately. She makes morally questionable choices, which are aknowledged as such. She makes mistakes which are aknowledged as such. You can still see why she makes them and sympathize with her. Characters who criticize her are not all one-dimsensional bad guys or subsequently proven wrong. She's also loving, caring, and willing to fight for her people while also being caustic at times, pre-judging and not as pragmatic as she wishes to be. In short, I find her a great character on top of being an excellent Lord. The only bad thing is that we never see her character development properly finished due to Yune taking up the space.

Honorable mentions: Ike in PoR.

Worst Lord: Corrin. See the first part of my Micaiah explanation? They have many of her worst aspects, but the story never aknowledges them as such. Characters who dislike them are either evil or made to apologize in the most hamhanded way possible. The story twists itself to pieces trying to justify their actions, and doesn't succeed in the slightest. Moreover the only personality traits discernible are of course kindness, but also naivety and selfishness. Unlike Micaiah's negative traits making her appealingly complex, the games' insistence on Corrin's perfection just make these traits come across as obnoxious.

Dishonourable mention: Alm. 

Edited by Nanima